Upcoming Server Shutdowns & Delistings

EdinhoN

36 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

They don't even have the courtesy of adding these to their main closure announcement page now either. They only add them to the PS Store page for the respective games so hardly any players will see even see the warning except trophy hunters. They're just the worst closure company by a landslide. Anyone who says EA at this point is just deluded: they didn't shut a non-sports game since like 2012 (not counting Bulletstorm), Sony on the other hand.....

And Bulletstorm was totally GameSpy fault hahaha (Ok, EA could have changed the server provider to still guarantee the game to be played).

All sports games from 14 onwards are still opened (aside from FIFA) and 14 sports games are from September 2013!

8 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

And Bulletstorm was totally GameSpy fault hahaha (Ok, EA could have changed the server provider to still guarantee the game to be played).

All sports games from 14 onwards are still opened (aside from FIFA) and 14 sports games are from September 2013!

I don't count Buletstorm against EA because it was Gamespy and so it would have required them to remake the whole MP to avoid the closure (an unreasonable request by anyones standards). Trust me, it was a lengthy process, these games were developed alongside Gamespy and so Gamespy was literally the MP, it wasn't just a server unit to power them or something. Last non-sports closure from them I think was Create in April 2012. I won't list Sony's non-sports closures since April 2012 otherwise it'd probably take up the whole page.

Edited by Potent_Delusions

Just now, Potent_Delusions said:

Exactly, I don't count Buletstorm against EA because it was Gamespy and so it would have required them to remake the whole MP to avoid the closure (an unreasonable request by anyones standards). Last non-sports closure from them I think was Create in April 2012. I won't list Sony's non-sports closures since April 2012 otherwise it'd probably take up the whole page.

The whole point is: servers aren't expensive. Specially the ones which are running most of these Sony's games. 

The playerbase for those games is small, which means the costs and maintenance are also reduced.

Most companies just support games for a long time cause the nice PR is worthy it.

Good thing is that Xbox will come much stronger for the next generation and Sony will have to rethink its decisions "for the players"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

The whole point is: servers aren't expensive. Specially the ones which are running most of these Sony's games. 

The playerbase for those games is small, which means the costs and maintenance are also reduced.

Most companies just support games for a long time cause the nice PR is worthy it.

Good thing is that Xbox will come much stronger for the next generation and Sony will have to rethink its decisions "for the players"

Agreed. We are on the same page here: I think Sony are scum too.

The only server shutdowns I really condone are yearly sports titles, the Gamespy games, and maybe MAG since I can imagine that was very maintenance/cost heavy. These other P2P basic games like Warhawk getting shut is just a joke, honestly. "For the players" my ass. Wouldn't be surprised if these October 25th closures were meant to close later in the year or next year but were brought forward to be announced on the same day as the Fortnite cross play announcement as to make it so people couldn't complain as much.

Edited by Potent_Delusions
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

Exactly my thought. TBH I would love the know the server cost for a year of operation. I remember that Starcraft2 players begged Blizzard not to close the servers and were willing to give money to the company just to keep them going, while not my dream solution, it would still be better to let the players rent/buy/maintain/host the servers themselves rather than just saying "Hahaha, nope! Now buy our new shit!" tHiS iS fOr ThE pLaYeRs

They are a company, they need to make money, but do not tell me that the server cost is such a burden while they roll in cash thanks to their market dominance. Maybe don't hire an orchestra for the next E3 and use the money to keep a few games alive.

Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to vent.

13 minutes ago, Letenko22 said:

I remember that Starcraft2 players begged Blizzard not to close the servers and were willing to give money to the company just to keep them going

Ahah, what? In what universe StarCraft 2 risked to be shut down?

Anyway yeah, servers aren't expensive. I mean Warhawk literally used PS3s as servers!

3 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Ahah, what? In what universe StarCraft 2 risked to be shut down?

Anyway yeah, servers aren't expensive. I mean Warhawk literally used PS3s as servers!

There was no risk at all, since the playerbase is still big, but some players got worried, given the age of the game and all. 

I think the problem is so very few people care about these "old" games. Even if we spoke out, nothing would change, unless Sony's market dominance changes and they'll need to bring people back somehow.

26 minutes ago, Letenko22 said:

There was no risk at all, since the playerbase is still big, but some players got worried, given the age of the game and all. 

I think the problem is so very few people care about these "old" games. Even if we spoke out, nothing would change, unless Sony's market dominance changes and they'll need to bring people back somehow.

Starcraft 2 isn't even that old compared to other blizzard games still online. Only way they would ever go down is if battle.net shuts down

• Like 1

So, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Twisted Metal and Warhawk are the next ones closing on October 25th? Hmmmm, that may be a problem as I don't have any of those games on my collection.

Warhawk looks like waaaaayyyyyyy too much for me... I won't bother trying this one.

Now, Twisted Metal is a game I always wanted to try at some point. The trophy list sounds like it could be done in less than 30 days if I started right now and focused solely on it as some of the trophies sound pretty demanding. I think this game also requires an online pass in order to play online, doesn't it? That and the hard trophies in such a short period of time kind of defeat the purpose of me even trying here so I'll be skipping on this one as well.

PASBR looks fairly doable and is also a game I was looking to test at some point. I love Nintendo's Smash series and I always wanted to check what Sony did here. I may probably try this one in the next 30 days if I happen to find the game at a good price. 

Thanks for sharing info on the upcoming server shutdown dates for these games, everyone! :)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Starcraft 2 isn't even that old compared to other blizzard games still online. Only way they would ever go down is if battle.net shuts down

Honestly, I was going from an old forum post I read and a video I saw, I odn't play the game, but I remembered that as an example. Far as I know the game is very popular in Korea.

55 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

So, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Twisted Metal and Warhawk are the next ones closing on October 25th? Hmmmm, that may be a problem as I don't have any of those games on my collection.

Warhawk looks like waaaaayyyyyyy too much for me... I won't bother trying this one.

Now, Twisted Metal is a game I always wanted to try at some point. The trophy list sounds like it could be done in less than 30 days if I started right now and focused solely on it as some of the trophies sound pretty demanding. I think this game also requires an online pass in order to play online, doesn't it? That and the hard trophies in such a short period of time kind of defeat the purpose of me even trying here so I'll be skipping on this one as well.

PASBR looks fairly doable and is also a game I was looking to test at some point. I love Nintendo's Smash series and I always wanted to check what Sony did here. I may probably try this one in the next 30 days if I happen to find the game at a good price. 

Thanks for sharing info on the upcoming server shutdown dates for these games, everyone! :)

If you want to try a twisted metal game, I would recommend Twisted Metal Black from the ps2 on ps4 classics

• Like 1

Black on PS2 was great... too bad it was mutilated for the PAL market... and it's still the same on PS3 and PS4... :(

EDIT: just read on ResetEra that Twisted Metal 2012 and Warhawk are fully compatible with XLink Kai, which means they'll survive somehow. Not sure about PSASBR.

Edited by Lance_87

30 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Black on PS2 was great... too bad it was mutilated for the PAL market... and it's still the same on PS3 and PS4... :(

EDIT: just read on ResetEra that Twisted Metal 2012 and Warhawk are fully compatible with XLink Kai, which means they'll survive somehow. Not sure about PSASBR.

It simulates a LAN network. So no ranked matched = wont survive.

4 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

This^   Sony don't care and never have and the same goes for most other games companies so don't bother complaining to them about server closures as they will either fob you off with BS/default replies that mean nothing or simply ignore you.

Or they'll actually listen and extend the deadline like they've done already for Gravity Rush 2...

Edited by Devil_Spooky
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Or not, like they didn't do for Starhawk which also had 30 days and a store-only notice.

That wasn't my point, he said they never cared about these things and I proved him wrong, people asked them to extend the server shut down for Gravity Rush 2 and they did, so it shows that if enough people ask them to do it they'll do it.

So, which PS3 Sony games are still up after the 25th?

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

LittleBigPlanet 1

LittleBigPlanet 2

LittleBigplanet 3

Ratchet and Clank All4One

Ratchet and Clank QForce

The Last of Us

And on PSVita we have

Unit 13

Uncharted Fight for Fortune

Resistance Burning Skies

Killzone Mercenary

LittleBigPlanet Vita

I think thats all of them. Im pretty sure at this point that the servers of these games wont survive the next year.

Those games should be top priority for every online trophy hunter for the next months ...

20 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

So, which PS3 Sony games are still up after the 25th?

Thanks, I was hoping someone could put together a list just like that. I'm surprised there aren't that many left. 

What about Infamous 2 and Festival of Blood's UGC? Any risk of those going down? And Journey?

Edited by mekktor

1 minute ago, mekktor said:

Thanks, I was hoping someone could put together a list just like that. I'm surprised there aren't that many left. 

What about Infamous 2 and Festival of Blood's UGC? Any risk of those going down?

Good point. I forgot about those stupid community challenge trophies.