Upcoming Server Shutdowns & Delistings

EdinhoN

On 30.09.2018 at 1:03 AM, Floorkiller74 said:

Bulletstorm used gamespy, but it wasn't developed along side it. The Xbox and PC versions didn't use it (And were never shut down). only the PS version did.  Rockstar kept GTA4 running after gamespy, EA could have done the same with Bulletstorm (Though I can see why they wouldn't...nobody played online) If there were no servers in existence anymore, gonespy wouldn't work (Though I'm no expert on the gonespy stuff)

Actually EA wasn't even owning the studio or IP there, they published the game only.

Devs were People Can Fly and at the time of closure they were owned by Epic games.

So EA didn't owned neither trademark, studio or source code but people still blame them

On 9/28/2018 at 4:39 PM, EdinhoN said:

The whole point is: servers aren't expensive. Specially the ones which are running most of these Sony's games. 

The playerbase for those games is small, which means the costs and maintenance are also reduced.

Most companies just support games for a long time cause the nice PR is worthy it.

Good thing is that Xbox will come much stronger for the next generation and Sony will have to rethink its decisions "for the players"

2k17 closing Nov 1.  What's on 2k Twitter  

6 minutes ago, mekktor said:

Sony's status page has been updated.

Twisted Metal and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale were both given end dates of 15th October.

Sound Shapes is also closing on that date. I don't think it affects trophies directly but it may remove cross-save, preventing autopopping across stacks.

Wow! This is terrible news. Now there's 10 less days for Twisted Metal's grindfest. Devastating for anyone that started this expecting to work on it extensively within those 10 days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mekktor said:

Twisted Metal and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale were both given end dates of 15th October.

Sound Shapes is also closing on that date. I don't think it affects trophies directly but it may remove cross-save, preventing autopopping across stacks.

What assholes!! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mekktor said:

I don't think it affects trophies directly but it may remove cross-save, preventing autopopping across stacks.

It only says that community created levels will become unavailable.

I think cross-save is separated. If it happens anyway, it would be the first PS3 game ever to remove such feature.

Edited by Lance_87

22 minutes ago, Empovyle said:

Wow! This is terrible news. Now there's 10 less days for Twisted Metal's grindfest. Devastating for anyone that started this expecting to work on it extensively within those 10 days.

22 minutes ago, DPatriot said:

What assholes!! 

29 minutes ago, mekktor said:

WTF?!?!?! "AWESOME" NEWS!! What a bunch of bastards!!!

So glad that I am following this topic! Thanks guys!

Edited by Smashero

I think Sound Shapes will be fine. The description mentions nothing about cloud save access. You just won't be able to download/upload created levels.

Bummer about Twisted Metal. I wanted to do that after Warhawk -- got 11/23 medals, 50/81 badges, and my rank is at 2nd Lieutenant for Warhawk.

Not sure with Twisted Metal how much I'll have to do. I know I have to play and beat the campaign on Twisted.

Ugh.

7 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

A 3 month notice would be enough for everybody interested.

Giving less than one month only shows how greedy Sony is acting up.

I don't care about companies shutting down servers as long they announce it properly: there's a famous expression in Portuguese which says "O combinado não sai caro", literally translated to something as "What is agreed isn't expensive".

The games have been up for years as I said before, so you can't exactly feel inclined to give someone an extra three months for what they before hand had ample time to do. And how is it greedy to shut down something that's old and is no longer being used or only lightly used? Most people shut down services in those situations, that's reality. I feel like a little common sense is lacking in regards to this

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, majob said:

The games have been up for years as I said before, so you can't exactly feel inclined to give someone an extra three months for what they before hand had ample time to do. And how is it greedy to shut down something that's old and is no longer being used or only lightly used. Most people shut down services in those situations, that's reality. I feel like a little common sense is lacking in regards to this

But for sure such things like shutting downs are planned way much ahead, not like: "Hey Mike, switch off that crap tomorrow, nobody is playing that-no one cares!". If company decides to remove some service for sure all "pros and cons" (to make it easy) are checked a bit earlier. I can not believe that the decision is taken like "Do it!". So I would agree with @EdinhoNthat 3 months sounds quite reasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheRealHardyBoy1 said:

Someone asked Playstation UK on twitter about sound shapes. Seems like cloud save won't work after october 15.

https://twitter.com/AskPS_UK/status/1047485707097460736

"I am afraid that this will not work" - translation:

"I have no clue, how should I know (what is "pop instantly" anyway?!?)? So better I will protect my ass in case if it will really not work, so I will write like this". 

6 minutes ago, Smashero said:

"I am afraid that this will not work" - translation:

"I have no clue, how should I know (what is "pop instantly" anyway?!?)? So better I will protect my ass in case if it will really not work, so I will write like this". 

"for the current version of the game you are using"

This is the proof they have no idea of what you're talking about. These are literally the same persons who lied about the Download queue issue (with PS3/Vita content only) being fixed on July. And then they kept saying "it's being investigated". Sure, because it takes FIVE MONTHS to investigate such a severe issue. Pitiful.

Edited by Lance_87

2 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

Why does Sony gives 6 months to Modnation Racers and less than a month for other games like Twisted Metal.

That's retarded, I hope Microsoft dominates next generation (and it will). The lack of competition is being terrible "for the players".

Dates are updated in the main post.

SoNy HaVe GuD eXcLuSiVeS tHo M8

jUsT bUy A pS4, pS4 iS oLd As FuCk nO1 cArEs aBoUt Ps3 nOw

etc etc

Edited by Potent_Delusions
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

It's not "extra 3 months". At least 3 months notice has been a standard throughout shutdowns of any online service including games.

Old players should always have the opportunity to say farewell for an old game they are huge fans and trophy hunters should have the opportunity to jump in at last time to get their trophies done.

There are around 7650 trophy lists synced to psn.

Giving a proper notice is just a "little common sense" and good to all community.

Servers cost are inexpensive for such a huge company and brand as Sony/PlayStation, they aren't bankrupt, which would justify a game suddenly closing in few weeks.

I love how the "those shutting down games have been opened for years" and the "boosting is cheating" comments always pop throughout trophy hunters forums hahaha

What's usually done doesn't mean it's what's going to be always done. I would consider it unfair to fans if the game was suddenly shut down but any notice is better than no notice becaus as I said before, these servers were up for years and the opportunity was there. A Trophy Hunter doesn't have much of an excuse when it comes to older games like this if they weren't pressed for time 

In Sony's case it may not even be cost, they might want to free up space for their other services which require servers like Vue or Now. Unlike MS or Nintendo, Sony has other server based platforms to support.

Edited by majob
Check that, MS does have Game Pass
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, majob said:

What's usually done doesn't mean it's what's going to be always done. I would consider it unfair to fans if the game was suddenly shut down but any notice is better than no notice becaus as I said before, these servers were up for years and the opportunity was there. A Trophy Hunter doesn't have much of an excuse when it comes to older games like this if they weren't pressed for time 

In Sony's case it may not even be cost, they might want to free up space for their other services which require servers like Vue or Now. Unlike MS or Nintendo, Sony has other server based platforms to support.

These old servers are hardly reusable. Take Warhawk case: it's a small farm of PS3s.

Moreover, most of the PSN newest services are structured as microservices and use cloud based servers like Amazon or Azure.

As I stated, I don't care for old servers being deactivated. It's just ridiculous that Sony is so inconsistent in its notices.

Starhawk haven't seen a proper announcement in their webpage, it was exclusively at PS Store.

Some proper order was to be expected from PlayStation, they just randomly throw information at PS Store (not globally) and it eventually reach the Game Servers page.

No other company is as disordered as this. Even EA, Ubisoft and 2k can be praised when compared to Sony's behaviour

• Like 1

From what I understand Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale has some fairly easy online trophies. How long would it take to tackle them (on PS Vita if that makes a difference)? ? Doing it legit or boosting. All answers and comments are appreciated!