Upcoming Server Shutdowns & Delistings

EdinhoN

I played PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale last night for the first time. Got all MP trophies in under 30 mins. First game against randoms I even got the level 1 double and triple kill trophies. I felt pretty lucky. Vita will be tonight. So if you were on the fence, go for it as it is very easy. 

See you guys over at LBP, as you bet your ass those are next; imminent. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

Most of the shutting games I do, I haven't bought them prior. I buy them as they announce it, so your point is a bit, err... not on point.

I would never leave a Warhawk in my backlog for 10 years, however, there are many interesting games in over 7000 games synced to the psn servers.

I'd like to play them as they come to be shutdown.

Ok, is 3 months too much for your average multi-billionaire company? What about the 30 days notice that Sony has failed to give?

Once again, i'll restate that: shutting down games is totally ok, everything has an end some day. However, give at LEAST 30 FUCKING DAYS, it won't hurt anybody. It won't hurt publisher, it won't hurt die hard fans of the MP, it won't hurt trophy hunters.

Don't defend a flawed Sony's model. Giving around 15 days for three of their games when others got more than 6 months.

It's totally disorganized and flawed, consistency is the key here. I hope they treat us better, but I know we're such a minority that nobody cares.

That's entirely self inflicted and not the fault of the company. The game was on sale for years and you decided to hop on board when the train was coming to an end, that's entirely on you.

And my point is that any notice is better than none, once again, ad nauseum, the game and its servers were up for years. What you feel you are owed is frivolous at this point. I'm not defending anything, I'm pointing out my distaste towards the attitude that one feels they're owed more time when they already had years to start with.

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

You say you bet but you don't know for a fact if Sony gave refunds or not. Don't presume. I will admit it's scummy that the option to buy is still available but one should do research on these things before making a decision that's going to cost them money, especially considering it was an old game.

What it costs isn't the issue, it's their server, they decide what happens with it. if they keep it up for the few, great, if they don't, those are the breaks.

Don't try to play the empathy angle, nothing lasts forever and Sony shouldn't be obligated to keep something up because someone decided to put emotional ties there. I would have sought a more permanent means if that were I. 

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Is your primary language French? The term "cross play" means to play with people that are on a different device from you, i.e. you on a Vita can play the same game with someone on say a PS3. It doesn't matter which version they're playing, you'll only get the list for the version you're playing. Cross play allows you access to a larger player pool as opposed to just playing with people on the same device as you.

No, it's neither French nor English...and what difference it makes? My bad sir, I got confused "Cross Play" with "Cross Buy" (which is pretty clear from the context).

You know...sometimes people forget terminology and it has nothing to do with languages ?

2 hours ago, daftprophet said:

What about titles on PS Now? I don't use it but are there games with online still there? If so, that's fucked. 

Sony isn't afraid to put broken games on PS Now. From the confirmed shutdowns list, here's the games still listed on PS Now:

1. WWE 2k16

2. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational

3. NBA 2k16

4. Killzone 2

5. Killzone 3

6. Counterspy

7. Starhawk

8. Gravity Crash

9. Hustle Kings

10. Motorstorm Apocalypse

But on the plus side, PixelJunk Sidescroller appears to still be available even though it looks like it has been delisted now (the web store doesn't show me a buy option, just demo).

2 minutes ago, Snickel said:

I think you're missing part of the point here, there was insufficient time with the announcement of servers being shutdown, no one is disagreeing with you on the point of servers should stay up forever.  Seems like a big slap in the face to trohpy hunters that you have a trophy in your game for getting 1 win 30 days in a row but you only give 15-20 days to people after annoucing the server shutdown.  And for people that have a big backlog of games to play, a lot of them dictate which games they play by when server shutdowns get annouced, but seeing as you havent finish any game that you play you wouldn't understand this.  The rational of time given for the server shutdown is the big concern here, not that Sony wants to shut the servers down at some point.

I see the point, I just find it to be a poor one in the grand scheme of the fact that there was plenty of time beforehand. You may consider it a slap to the face but I recognize the fact that I had plenty of time beforehand. And come now, You can clearly see that I do finish games, not very often because I have other priorities but I also don't let that fact take away the responsibility I shoulder in finishing my online trophies before servers are finished. Trophy hunting is a hobby for me, not an obsession. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, majob said:

I see the point, I just find it to be a poor one in the grand scheme of the fact that there was plenty of time beforehand. You may consider it a slap to the face but I recognize the fact that I had plenty of time beforehand. And come now, You can clearly see that I do finish games, not very often because I have other priorities but I also don't let that fact take away the responsibility I shoulder in finishing my online trophies before servers are finished. Trophy hunting is a hobby for me, not an obsession. 

Ok i understand that the game was available to obtain its online trophies for several years but man i have been boosting games for the past 2 years game after game after game it's just too many games to do so as for me i wasn't slacking but it's just i did not expect that Twisted Metal will shutdown that soon and in a short time and it was on my soon to do game but i got unlucky with this announcement.

Edited by Great_MazingerZ
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, majob said:

No, you definitely seem to be missing the point. Trophy takes 30 days to complete, people only get 20 days notice before the shutdown. It's an asshole move and being like "Hurr durr, you coulda done it when the game released" isn't really a counter argument either since you're arguing a different point entirely. Perhaps you would be correct if people were complaining that the servers were closing, and not about the lack of notice before closure.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Smashero said:

Some part of InFamous Second Son has been added:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/legal/gameservers/

Twisted Metal - still 15th of Oct :/.

NOOOOO, not the paper trial!!!

Who actually played the paper trial, like really? that it is shutting down doesnt mean that shadow falls closure is close.

Edited by Bumperklever

1 hour ago, majob said:

That's entirely self inflicted and not the fault of the company. The game was on sale for years and you decided to hop on board when the train was coming to an end, that's entirely on you.

And my point is that any notice is better than none, once again, ad nauseum, the game and its servers were up for years. What you feel you are owed is frivolous at this point. I'm not defending anything, I'm pointing out my distaste towards the attitude that one feels they're owed more time when they already had years to start with.

You say you bet but you don't know for a fact if Sony gave refunds or not. Don't presume. I will admit it's scummy that the option to buy is still available but one should do research on these things before making a decision that's going to cost them money, especially considering it was an old game.

What it costs isn't the issue, it's their server, they decide what happens with it. if they keep it up for the few, great, if they don't, those are the breaks.

Don't try to play the empathy angle, nothing lasts forever and Sony shouldn't be obligated to keep something up because someone decided to put emotional ties there. I would have sought a more permanent means if that were I. 

How can you expect people who bought a retail copy of the game to then look at the PSN Store page of the digital version of the game to see the server shutdown announcement? Sure, if the server shutdown announcement was on their website, it's on the person to see that. But when there's no in-game announcement or an announcement on Sony's own website and the very first message you get is "you need an online pass to use the online features of the game, redeem your code or buy it here", you don't expect that after buying the pass you are going to not be able to connect because the servers were down.

The thing regarding an in-game level creator for Sound Shapes is the fact that maybe it was the best tool the person could use, I'm sure he looked through plenty of other options before finding Sound Shapes. Then there's the fact that the game basically starts you off with a forced tutorial about the level creator and is marketed primarily around level creation. Nothing is going to convince me that Sony's greed isn't to blame for server shutdowns. If it was an indie company who was losing money from every extra day they kept the servers up, I'd understand. 

Not many people are complaining that a server shutdown isn't getting notice, it's the fact that their standard used to be 90 days, now they're happy to give around 2 weeks. I will say to @Snickel & @Asvinia that the "All sales are final" trophy on Twisted Metal can actually be done on the same day you start, because quitting the game after you win a match then advancing the in-game calendar by 1 day and winning a match on your edited date also counts a win on another day. If Twisted Metal didn't allow a date and time exploit, then it would be unobtainable currently. But it was a cocky trophy name by Sony, considering they expected the requirements to be for winning a match everyday for 30 days straight, then when the time came to shut it down they gave it less than 30 days. 

2 minutes ago, Sergen said:

Not many people are complaining that a server shutdown isn't getting notice, it's the fact that their standard used to be 90 days, now they're happy to give around 2 weeks. I will say to @Snickel & @Asvinia that the "All sales are final" trophy on Twisted Metal can actually be done on the same day you start, because quitting the game after you win a match then advancing the in-game calendar by 1 day and winning a match on your edited date also counts a win on another day. If Twisted Metal didn't allow a date and time exploit, then it would be unobtainable currently. But it was a cocky trophy name by Sony, considering they expected the requirements to be for winning a match everyday for 30 days straight, then when the time came to shut it down they gave it less than 30 days. 

I've heard about that exploit but then you have to consistently update your clock everyday manually in order to earn others unless you do that trophy last.  For people that don't know, the server shutdown notice doesn't give sufficient time.

38 minutes ago, Snickel said:

I've heard about that exploit but then you have to consistently update your clock everyday manually in order to earn others unless you do that trophy last.  For people that don't know, the server shutdown notice doesn't give sufficient time.

No you don't. The game doesn't care about the date for the other trophies. It still counts the stats properly, even if you switch the time back and forth.

2 minutes ago, derdimi said:

No you don't. The game doesn't care about the date for the other trophies. It still counts the stats properly, even if you switch the time back and forth.

I was specifically talking about the other MP trophies, is that still true? If so, somone misinformed me...

43 minutes ago, Snickel said:

I was specifically talking about the other MP trophies, is that still true? If so, somone misinformed me...

I do recommend doing it last just to be safe, but I have a friend who did it before any other online trophy and still managed to finish the game. The stats on your profile are saved to your save file, as long as you host every lobby you do and use the same version of the game to grind, you shouldn't have any issues getting the trophies to unlock at the appropriate time. Just make sure you get 51+ kills with every vehicle because I had more than 50 kills with everything, except Shadow which I had exactly 50 kills with and it took getting an extra kill with Shadow for me to get the trophy for 50 kills with every vehicle. 

• Like 1

Hate the online aspect of nowadays' games. When servers eventually shut down, you're left with half a game. And that ain't right.

I think the only company that used online trophies the right way and cared about us was Bioware, on Mass Effect 3 (guess there's one trophy that demands you to play mandatory online, but that's about it).

I'm tempted on getting Twisted Metal, but I don't know if it would be a good idea now.

I have Warhawk sitting on the shelf, but I'm not going near it because of the hackers. They would reset or severely downgrade your online stats just because, leaving you with an unnobtainable platinum.

4 hours ago, Solid-Fisch said:

Since i read on the page before that infamous second servers are going down on December 18th, I'd like to know if this affects any trophy in the game? Haven't played it yet, but it's on my list.

It does not affect any trophies. The website is tied to a series of optional side missions. You have to create an account tied to your PSN ID and do things on the website to progress to the next mission in the chain (such as "break in" to a PI's email account), but you do not get any trophies for completing it. Currently it stops you from going to the next mission in the chain without doing the stuff on the website, but the way it is phrased in the shutdown notice makes me think they will remove that block and let you immediately go to the next mission as it says you will "still be able to complete Celia’s story."

Edited by Guardian_owl

1 hour ago, Snickel said:

I did "All sales are final" first. I tried to keep the dates consistent after that for the other trophies but I forgot to change it one day (so I was technically playing in the past from that point on) and I still got "A la Mode". I just kept the "real" date which was in the past after that for all further rounds ans still got "Another Level", "Point, Shoot, Kill" and "Calypso".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Snickel said:

I understand to finishing the online trophies first, I've been doing this consistently for 1+ year now.  And it isn't a poor point, the fact that you have trophies in a game and you know that people collect them and a company decides to completely disregard these when the decision to shut the services down is disrepectful to trophy hunters; if you didn't want people to collect and worry about trophies in the first place then why did you add them as a feature?  You don't see people complaining about Drawn to Death or MNR, because Sony gave or is giving plenty of time to finish these games.  And like I said, people have huge backlogs of games and determine what they want to play via these server shutdowns, some don't even buy the games until the server shutdown gets announced and I don't see anything wrong with that.  It's the simple fact that 15-20 days is enough to get all of the mp trophies besides 1, which requires a minimum of 30 days.  Therefore, this is what the issue is.  And just like you said, people have other priorities and personal lives to attend to, so why should they not be given sufficient time to finish the game?

Trophies are a minor addition to the game in the grand scheme and of course there are people who enjoy to obtain them but to the company, the primary sell point is the game itself and whatever supplemental services they add, not the trophies, those are considered a minor addition. And my point was that you got notice at all since Sony could have simply just shut them down with nary a care and told you to move on. And as I said before, if you buy a game when the servers are about to be shut down, that's self inflicted if you feel it's unfair you don't have enough time to get the online trophies. And you aren't owed time to do something when you had years beforehand to do it. Your personal life and circumstances don't excuse you from those things when you're using someones else's time and resources.

• Like 2