Visual novels

El_Shubi

22 minutes ago, AlchemistWer said:

I know, but Air, Clannad or Kanon and more are avaliable on PC in english, of course if you want read more VN. 

I actually have clannad on steam, I have yet to set time aside after over a year :facepalm:

If it was on vita I probably would have already played through it. 

Edited by Dav9834

Skip em. Rented Steins Gate 0 (for the plat obviously) and read maybe 10-15 minutes before your character meets this woman and the dialogue turned super cringey. After that I just put it on full speed skip mode and got the plat. Too bad since the idea seemed alright.

Edited by TehCro

I liked Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness a lot. It needs you to have a few saves as their are about many endings as well as bad endings that you need to see for the platinum. It was fairly easy, took me 30 hours reading all the text and 3 hours for the minigame depending on your skill, but if you skip everything any visual novel can be done in pretty much 3 hours or so.

Others I know that are quite popular are:

Steins Gate

Steins Gate Zero

Other games in the Steins;Gate series like: Phenogram of Linear Restraint, Renri no Darling (not sure if they were localised but for the plat you could just skip the text if you don't read Japanese as they are all very easy and quick. The above SG games are localised I think)

Danganronpa

Zero Escape

Chaos Child games

Fate/stay night

Clannad

Otome games such as Diabolik lovers, Amnesia series, Code Realize, Collar x Malice 薄桜鬼 (hakuouki) series all easy to platinum and have decent stories as well. 

I've played quite a couple and someway or another liked all of them. Otome usually a little less, because the stories tend to be a bit more shallow, but I still enjoy those and don't skip any of the story.

Here's a little ranking of the ones I have played:

Steins;Gate

Virtue's Last Reward

Steins;Gate 0

Danganronpa

Zero Time Dilemma

Danganronpa 2

Root Letter

Corpse Party: Blood Drive

Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3, but will be released on Vita in the summer)

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness

NORN9 Var Commons

Code: Realize - Guardian of Rebirth -

XBlaze: Code Embryo

Amnesia: Memories

XBlaze Lost: Memories

On 2017-5-7 at 3:32 PM, Han_the_Dragon said:

I personaly have plat 5 and am playing a 6th now, so I will comment on those..

By play order:

1 - Virtues Last Reward - really good! (my 1st VN too).

2 - Steins;Gate - aweasome (but the fact that I really like the themes as well as the actual anime may have a lot to do with that..).

3 - Amnesia - was something that I wanted to play for a while and when we got it from PS+, I tried it, end up skipping the text just to get the platinum, because I didn't liked the first half of the story that I read.. really bad IMO..

4 - XBlaze: Code Embryo - I actually found it more enjoyable then what others usually say, but that's probably because I also like Blazblue story and Xblaze is like a prologue series to Blazblue story. Me liking Blazblue story/characters is the main reason why I played most of the games in the series, even though I find them impossible for me to plat..

5 - Code Realize - I admit that I skip played it entirely to acheave 2 trophy milestones (was pressed by time, since my deadline was Persona 5 release date..). From the little bits that I read during it I regret not having read the whole thing, because I know that I would had liked it quite a bit based on it's themes (+ it's not as focused on the romantic aspect as Amnesia from what I noticed).

6 - Zero Time Dilemma - currently playing and trying to not get to carried away with it, since my next plat needs to be Persona 5 for the 150th milestone (ya, I should had waited until I plat Persona 5 before starting it, but needed to start something new on Vita for my long train trips..).

What i do if i want a console plat first is i play the vita game on my commute until theres like 1 trophy left for plat then i go to a new game, after i hit the plat i want i go back and collect the last trophy everywhere

On 5/6/2017 at 11:04 AM, El_Shubi said:

Hey guys, 

See alot of people getting visual novels now. I know that the trophies are easy and quick platinums but do people find novels that they enjoy and if so, which ones? 

Maybe looking at getting a couple to try this out and see if i enjoy it

I like VNs. In fact, I think the trophies are the worst part, since they often require silly collectibles (usually in the form of images), and take the "Choose Your Own Adventure" feel out of the game. 

Among the VNs I'e played, Stein;s Gate clearly overtops the rest. Amnesia and Hatoful Boyfriend (is that a VN?) are hilarious to play. 

8 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I like VNs. In fact, I think the trophies are the worst part, since they often require silly collectibles (usually in the form of images), and take the "Choose Your Own Adventure" feel out of the game. 

Among the VNs I'e played, Stein;s Gate clearly overtops the rest. Amnesia and Hatoful Boyfriend (is that a VN?) are hilarious to play. 

I would say it is. I'll admit it was just a bit to weird for my liking when I read it. It's just "out there"

• Like 1

On 7.5.2017 at 7:58 PM, Dav9834 said:

I actually have clannad on steam, I have yet to set time aside after over a year :facepalm:

If it was on vita I probably would have already played through it. 

There are worse people out there.

Spoiler

I backed the localization of Clannad (and some other VNs) via Kickstarter, even paid enough money to get the limited retail version and till this day I haven't started it yet. :|

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

There are worse people out there.

Hide contents

I backed the localization of Clannad (and some other VNs) via Kickstarter, even paid enough money to get the limited retail version and till this day I haven't started it yet. :|

I'd say it's close because I was watching the kickstart religiously lol, I just never helped back it <_<

Ty btw! If it wasn't for your help I wouldn't be able to experience the vn as it should be!(eventually) lolol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I'd say it's close because I was watching the kickstart religiously lol, I just never helped back it <_<

Ty btw! If it wasn't for your help I wouldn't be able to experience the vn as it should be!(eventually) lolol

That's really an optimistic way to see it. xD

TBH if there would be a legal way (without using CFW) to stream Steam-games onto the Vita I would get it in an instant as I prefer reading VNs on a handheld as it feels more comfy for me. I hope the Smach Z still releases  some day so I could my handheld VN-fix that way.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bringing up this topic again after it's been a while since the last post, but I just wanted to say the main reason I have a Vita is to play VNs/otomes. A lot of them are exclusive to the system, so I'm very grateful to my father for getting me one last month as an early birthday present. That said, here's a list of my current collection:

The Nonary Games (999 + Virtue's Last Reward)

Zero Time Dilemma

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (off PSN Store)

Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~

Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds (and yes, I already have Stories of the Shinsengumi on PS3, too)

Norn9: Var Commons

Period Cube ~Shackles of Amadeus~

Root Letter

Sweet Fuse (off PSN Store)

Collar X Malice (pre-ordered, shipping in July)

Now, as for the ones I have missing from my list...

The original Corpse Party I got on 3DS for the extra content. Danganronpa 1 + 2 I debated getting, but then I found out they use the rear touchpad and since I have a tic which involves tapping my fingers... Yeah, I could see that screwing me over, so I'm planning to get the PS4 version. Amnesia: Memories I bought over a year ago on Steam, though I definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't have it.

I am very hopeful that we'll be getting plenty more of these games in the future for the North American market. the sequel to Kyoto Winds is most definitely a given. There have also been rumors that the Sweet School Life version of Hakuoki will be getting a localized release. *fingers crossed* I've heard that the fandisc/sequels for Code: Realize and Norn9 will be getting a localization, too, as well as Bad Apple Wars. Finally, there has been a lot of push from fans to get the sequels to Amnesia: Memories localized. And since it sold fairly well over on Steam, maybe we'll see those wishes come true.

Only time will tell which other titles we might see get an English release, but don't lose hope. Some of the localizations take a year or two to finally be finished and put out for the public.

Edited by ParisWriter
missed a game on my list
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ParisWriter said:

Sorry for bringing up this topic again after it's been a while since the last post, but I just wanted to say the main reason I have a Vita is to play VNs/otomes. A lot of them are exclusive to the system, so I'm very grateful to my father for getting me one last month as an early birthday present. That said, here's a list of my current collection:

Zero Time Dilemma

Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds (and yes, I already have Stories of the Shinsengumi on PS3, too)

Root Letter

The original Corpse Party I got on 3DS for the extra content. Danganronpa 1 + 2 I debated getting, but then I found out they use the rear touchpad and since I have a tic which involves tapping my fingers... Yeah, I could see that screwing me over, so I'm planning to get the PS4 version. Amnesia: Memories I bought over a year ago on Steam, though I definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't have it.

I am very hopeful that we'll be getting plenty more of these games in the future for the North American market. the sequel to Kyoto Winds is most definitely a given. There have also been rumors that the Sweet School Life version of Hakuoki will be getting a localized release. *fingers crossed* I've heard that the fandisc/sequels for Code: Realize and Norn9 will be getting a localization, too, as well as Bad Apple Wars. Finally, there has been a lot of push from fans to get the sequels to Amnesia: Memories localized. And since it sold fairly well over on Steam, maybe we'll see those wishes come true.

Only time will tell which other titles we might see get an English release, but don't lose hope. Some of the localizations take a year or two to finally be finished and put out for the public.

Chaos Child is another one that I heard is going to be coming out later this year but I'm not sure if it's for PS4 and Vita or just for PS4. The one's that I've bolded are the ones that I'm currently missing from my collection. I have the Nonary Games, Psycho Pass and Root Letter for the PS4 so I have to get the Vita versions of those eventually. I heared Hakuoki is not that much different from the PS3 version that I already own so I may pick it up to keep my Limited Edition of Shinsengumi still sealed. 

Danganronpa utilizes the rear touchpad? Oh dear...maybe I should've went for the PS4 versions instead. Oh well, I'm sure I'll manage.

Oh, do you know about the XBLAZE visual novels? I would look into those. Code Embyro is pretty decent but Lost Memories is pretty terrible. 

Edited by Terra

I've played 4 visual novel series

• Zero Escape
  • Danganronpa
  • Stein's Gate
  • Hatoful Boyfriend

I don't know whether it's just that the story is better, or for the fact that there's some kind of puzzle gameplay in there, but I love the first two series. Stein's Gate is all right, but more fun to watch the anime than play the VN's. And I didn't like Hatoful Boyfriend at all. 

13 minutes ago, Terra said:

Chaos Child is another one that I heard is going to be coming out later this year but I'm not sure if it's for PS4 and Vita or just for PS4. The one's that I've bolded are the ones that I'm currently missing from my collection. I have the Nonary Games, Psycho Pass and Root Letter for the PS4 so I have to get the Vita versions of those eventually. I heared Hakuoki is not that much different from the PS3 version that I already own so I may pick it up to keep my Limited Edition of Shinsengumi still sealed. 

Danganronpa utilizes the rear touchpad? Oh dear...maybe I should've went for the PS4 versions instead. Oh well, I'm sure I'll manage.

Oh, do you know about the XBLAZE visual novels? I would look into those. Code Embyro is pretty decent but Lost Memories is pretty terrible. 

I believe Chaos Child was supposed to be getting a dual release on PS4 and Vita. I need to see some more about that one before I make a final decision on it, but what little I've seen so far looks interesting.

I forgot to mention Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters, too... mostly because I got the PS4 version which has extra content. But there's another one for you to check out. It has a little bit of strategy gameplay involved, too.

Stories of the Shinsengumi basically got split into two parts and had six additional routes added to it for Kyoto Winds, bringing the bachelor total to a nice round dozen. By all accounts (I haven't finished it yet, myself) Kyoto Winds stops at chapter 5, but it will pick up from there with the second part that's going to be released. Which means the bulk of the actual romance is being held off until the sequel. It starts up at the very end of Kyoto Winds, though. I don't much care when two of the new characters are voiced by Mamoru Miyano and Daisuke Ono, lol. I bough it, and I'll get the second half when it comes out.

I have not heard of the XBLAZE series. I mean, I've seen the name once or twice, but... I don't really know anything about it, at all. Care to share some more details? :)

7 minutes ago, QuentinCle95 said:

I've played 4 visual novel series

• Zero Escape
  • Danganronpa
  • Stein's Gate
  • Hatoful Boyfriend

I don't know whether it's just that the story is better, or for the fact that there's some kind of puzzle gameplay in there, but I love the first two series. Stein's Gate is all right, but more fun to watch the anime than play the VN's. And I didn't like Hatoful Boyfriend at all. 

Oh yeah! I forgot I ordered a copy of Steins Gate a few days ago. It's weird, because it was cheaper picking it up for Vita than getting it on Steam. Like... WAY cheaper. Personally, I enjoyed Hatoful Boyfriend for what it is: a tongue-in-cheek parody of every otome game ever made.

1 hour ago, ParisWriter said:

Zero Time Dilemma

Root Letter

20 minutes ago, Terra said:

First... Where's Steins;Gate!

Ok now that we're through that, 

I do not remember using the rear touchpad at all for danganronpa.... 

I think it's optional if I don't remember it. 

@TheFinalEmblem would be able to confirm for sure. 

Finally all VNs are better on vita, trust me. Danganronpa can def get away with being on ps3/ps4 but steins;gate, root letter, etc wayyy better on vita. So if you have the choice, go vita! :)

3 minutes ago, ParisWriter said:

I believe Chaos Child was supposed to be getting a dual release on PS4 and Vita. I need to see some more about that one before I make a final decision on it, but what little I've seen so far looks interesting.

I forgot to mention Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters, too... mostly because I got the PS4 version which has extra content. But there's another one for you to check out. It has a little bit of strategy gameplay involved, too.

Stories of the Shinsengumi basically got split into two parts and had six additional routes added to it for Kyoto Winds, bringing the bachelor total to a nice round dozen. By all accounts (I haven't finished it yet, myself) Kyoto Winds stops at chapter 5, but it will pick up from there with the second part that's going to be released. Which means the bulk of the actual romance is being held off until the sequel. It starts up at the very end of Kyoto Winds, though. I don't much care when two of the new characters are voiced by Mamoru Miyano and Daisuke Ono, lol. I bough it, and I'll get the second half when it comes out.

I have not heard of the XBLAZE series. I mean, I've seen the name once or twice, but... I don't really know anything about it, at all. Care to share some more details? :)

Oh yeah! I forgot I ordered a copy of Steins Gate a few days ago. It's weird, because it was cheaper picking it up for Vita than getting it on Steam. Like... WAY cheaper. Personally, I enjoyed Hatoful Boyfriend for what it is: a tongue-in-cheek parody of every otome game ever made.

I only have Tokyo Twilight for the PS3 but I saw that the PS4 version was $10.00 on Amazon brand new so I'm tempted to pick that up but no one has platinumed it yet. I wonder how hard it must be for that to happen.  Kyoto Winds is only have a game then? Ouch, I think I'll wait until it drops in price to buy it. That wasn't a smart move by Idea Factory to do that. 

For XBLAZE? Well let me see if I explain it to you without giving away any spoilers. It's not really an otomate VN but more of a mystery VN with your protagonist trying to discover the cause of a terrible accident and he soon discovers a bigger plot behind it all. That's the idea for Embyro. For Memories? I couldn't really tell you, it jumped all over the place too much to make sense. I can only recommend the first one. 

5 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Finally all VNs are better on vita, trust me. Danganronpa can def get away with being on ps3/ps4 but steins;gate, root letter, etc wayyy better on vita. So if you have the choice, go vita! :)

It's optional? I hope that's the case. And I agree, VN's are better for the Vita. However, I did enjoy playing Steins;Gate/Steins;Gate 0, Root Letter, Nonary Games and Psycho Pass on my PS4. 

4 minutes ago, Terra said:

I only have Tokyo Twilight for the PS3 but I saw that the PS4 version was $10.00 on Amazon brand new so I'm tempted to pick that up but no one has platinumed it yet. I wonder how hard it must be for that to happen.  Kyoto Winds is only have a game then? Ouch, I think I'll wait until it drops in price to buy it. That wasn't a smart move by Idea Factory to do that. 

For XBLAZE? Well let me see if I explain it to you without giving away any spoilers. It's not really an otomate VN but more of a mystery VN with your protagonist trying to discover the cause of a terrible accident and he soon discovers a bigger plot behind it all. That's the idea for Embyro. For Memories? I couldn't really tell you, it jumped all over the place too much to make sense. I can only recommend the first one. 

Oh god... so, Memories is one of those games, huh? Someone wanted to do a Tarantino movie as a game and it didn't turn out well, lol. I'll look into Embryo, though. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the rec! :)

And yes.... If you already have Stories, might want to wait for Kyoto Winds. I just happened to get mine with my Vita when it was given to me, because my dad wasn't going to give me a new system without a game to play on it. I picked up my copy of Tokyo Twilight Hunters for dirt cheap off Amazon, too. Not sure why no one has gotten the platinum on it. I think there may be some grinding involved, so perhaps that's turning people off from going after it? Or maybe it's a luck issue. Dunno... I might have to sit down and attempt to tackle it, though!

9 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

lol.... As I said in one of my other replies, I forgot to mention that I had just ordered Steins Gate. Like... yesterday, lol. So I'll have it soon. Have you played Steins Gate 0? I've been wondering if that's different enough from the original to be worth getting, too.

Looking at the back of the cases for the first two DR games, it said it uses the rear touchpad. If you can turn that part off, I'd definitely get them for the Vita. 

1 hour ago, ParisWriter said:

Zero Time Dilemma

Root Letter

57 minutes ago, Terra said:

29 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Front and back touchpad are 100% optional in dangan. I just finished the story of THH and I didn't need to use it once.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

Front and back touchpad are 100% optional in dangan. I just finished the story of THH and I didn't need to use it once.

Is there a way to turn the back pad's  functionality completely off, though, or do you just have to try not to accidentally touch it? (Which won't really be possible, in my case.)

1 hour ago, Terra said:

Xblaze is... 

ULTRA
MEH

It's not even decent. 

2 hours ago, ParisWriter said:

And the original Corpse Party.

Without playing vanilla and BoS, playing Blood Drive makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Xblaze is... 

ULTRA
MEH

It's not even decent. 

And the original Corpse Party.

Without playing vanilla and BoS, playing Blood Drive makes no sense. 

To quote myself: "The original Corpse Party I got on 3DS for the extra content. " Not going to be playing it on Vita, but I do have it.

3 hours ago, Terra said:

I can only speak about X-Blaze: Lost Memories. It's one of the single worst games I've ever played. To the OP (or anyone else reading this), don't play it. VN is a pretty good genre, but that game is the worst of the (admittedly few) that I've played.

Edited by starcrunch061