FielVeredus

Any thought after play this game ?

16 posts in this topic

I am on the fence of Day 1 this game, since there is more than 10 people already play this game and it's already out somewhere.

What do you think about the game ? Is it good or interesting ?

Thank you.

I think they might be people playing media/review copies maybe, that or a store somewhere broke their release embargo

On 2017-05-07 at 1:57 PM, Crispy_Oglop said:

I think they might be people playing media/review copies maybe, that or a store somewhere broke their release embargo

My toughts exactly. Stores in the middle east have broken the release emabrgo of almost every game this year it seems like.

As for me, it's a review copy. We're not allowed to talk until tuesday.

Edited by SaiSaEr

It's a sci-fi dark souls. Been watching hours of play on twitch. Hack and slash with mechs. Looks like a great game. Deck13 outdid themselves with this one. I'm guessing at least double the sales compared to Lords of the Fallen. 

10 hours in now. It's a great game I'm really enjoying it. It's not very frustrating but rather fun. The loot system is really unique and lots of fun picking apart enemies for armour parts and weapons. It's not very hard tho and there doesn't seem to be much boss fights that's the only down side right now 

18 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

10 hours in now. It's a great game I'm really enjoying it. It's not very frustrating but rather fun. The loot system is really unique and lots of fun picking apart enemies for armour parts and weapons. It's not very hard tho and there doesn't seem to be much boss fights that's the only down side right now 

A review I watched said one of the negatives is the lack of boss fights. Didn't even realize this is a Souls clone until yesterday and now I'm debating over getting it now or waiting for a sale.

I'm really liking it, even though this game is seriously kicking my ass. The story is interesting, but the way it's told is a bit lacking so far. The gameplay is super fun though! Fights are fast and brutal. And EVERY enemy can just wreck your shit in three seconds if you don't pay attention. I've never had this much trouble in Souls games. xD

I played it a bit more, and it has tempered my love for the game a bit. A lot of times I died without really understanding why. The game doesn't really generate enough feedback when you get hit, leaving you with a good chunk of your health just gone while you think you're doing alright. The combo system locks you into animations without being able to cancel out and the hit-boxes are way off for some of the enemy attacks.

I still like the game a lot, but it's moving more towards wanting to like it then actually liking it. Lords of the Fallen is one of my favorite games, but I'm gonna have a hard long think before going for the platinum on this... Then again, can't let myself be beat by a mere game now, can I? 😁

Edit: Don't want to only mention the negatives for a game that deserves better. So, the good things:

The combat system, bar animation lock and some hit-boxes, is amazing! Targeting limbs lets you choose between quickly killing an enemy or going for their gear. This makes you want to fight enemies instead of just running past them. There's also no stat levelling, and I love that. You can upgrade specific gear like in other Souls-likes, and you can upgrade your power core, basically the engine that's driving all the gear parts (like in Armored Core). The only real stats are weapon proficiencies that gain exp. when using their weapon type. That's a love or hate thing, I guess, but I like it.

The enemy placement is always the same, but which limbs are armored and which aren't is randomized. That keeps you on your toes a bit, which is good in a game where literally every enemy will kill you if you screw up once. While I'm wishing the game was a bit easier sometimes, I love feeling as proud of progress as I did when I played my first Souls game. That's a feeling I never really got anymore from other games. The other returning feeling is wanting to throw my controller to bits at times... 😣

Edited by Such-A-Goonie

I've started yesterday and it's the first time i play a game like this. No Souls or Bloodborne before. And, well, it's hard like shit. :D But after a while, if you have found out how the game works and you only die 5 times instead of 50 times by trying to beat the same enemy, it starts to make fun. 

I've been playing this for a few days now. Not that far into the Game but i really like it, the combat feels clunky at times and i do die a lot more in this game then in Dark Souls but still enjoy every Minute of it. It's really sad to see so little people playing this. 

I enjoyed The Surge, quite a lot, although I was disappointed in a few things too.   It's a good looking game, and Deck13 nailed that industrial feel, or Diesel Souls as they coined way back.   The combat is great, animations are enjoyable to watch and well choreographed, targeting options were fairly fluid albeit with the odd awkward moment, and weapons had a nice impact range, from tapping on armour to crushing right through it with heavier weapons, and the enemies are fun to fight,    Level design was great...mostly, and the aesthetic, as with weapons and rig/armour, was excellent imo.   Sound was serviceable, there was a nice oomph to certain heavy attacks, some nice gurgling and ripping sounds from taking body parts, and an unobtrusive, eerie set of notes hanging in the background at times, it was all decent.   The rpg/character progression system was very well done, initially.  Core levels and implants, weapon proficiencies, resources and scrap currency...it works seamlessly and it's all good fun.   Everything The Surge did was consistent with the world Deck13 created, and it's a tough but fun game.

However...

Most of the above has a negative, which are not so easily overlooked like one might do in a Souls game.   I could tear into the Souls franchise, anything from shoddy hit-boxes to a distinct lack of innovation since Demon's/Dark 1 (BB get's a slight pass here), but I'd still say Soulsborne is great for everything it does right, The Surge sadly doesn't have this luxury.

As already mentioned, combo stacking is a problem, animation lock, or whatever you want to call it, it does spoil an excellent combat system, it's not awful but it has it's undesirable moments way too often.   It's not clever to have to be accounting for this every time you engage an enemy, especially near a drop, and I have fallen due to continued combo execution.  

The level design was great, but I agree with the 'samey' criticisms, and as much as I like the maze-like structure, it's so condensed that often it becomes tiring and annoying to navigate, especially back-tracking and those yellow maintenance shafts are confusing rather than enjoyable to explore.  I also think it's too dark, the open areas felt better, the start, some of the labs and the forum, I get jump scares or tense exploration but the balance was off imo.   

I like the song in medbay, but change it up eh?

Enemy variety is both understandable yet disappointing.   The limb targeting mechanic, upgrade materials, weapons and armour..., but aside a few other enemy types and a handful of bosses It felt like I was just fighting a guy with an armour and weapon type most of the time.   It is fun, and necessary to a degree with the given mechanics, but it could be a lot better.

NG+ was a let down.   I'd heard there were entirely new enemies, ones that used injectables, new weapons etc...I'm in ng++, I haven't seen any of that.  Granted there are 'extra' higher level enemies dropped in here and there, but nothing 'new'.   The rpg system starts to collapse too.   I've not seen any new implants above mkV, so other than obtaining a couple extra slots late game, I can't improve much, yet enemies are tougher and hit harder.   I was disappointed there were no new implants too, nothing to make finisher prompts quicker, a whistle lure would've been fun, even just higher stat ones, a health implant with 200 health instead of plugging up slots with numerous 100 health implants.   Armour upgrades are useless, it's fair to say they were from the start, suit perks being the real bonus, aside stability that is, but why even bother then?   I appreciate that's not exclusive to The Surge, but it's still a waste of time.   Even silly things like the titan hammer, it's actually a rivet gun too, the ones enemies use when shooting at you, I was hoping I'd get the ability to use those gun placements too, either by upgrade, story point or ng...nope, it would have been cool too, another way to engage.   I've also found no real use for the elemental, crush, slash and thrust stats, both attack and defence, other than fluff to look at on a screen, maybe I've missed something but I've got the Plat over two play-throughs and I paid no attention to them.   

The story concept was good, but the delivery was meh, most of the characters were forgettable, Hobbs was decent for the little time he's around and some of the audio stories are good but if I were Deck13 I'd hire someone to write and deliver a story and dialogue etc...   VA was mediocre mostly, good in places I suppose, nothing memorable.

And the glitches, I know there's a thread on the rig glitch, ok, it happens, but I've seen someone on PC discovered what seems to be a developer quick save function, a way to glitch infinite health regen, and infinite scrap...I jumped back into ng++ to test that one and sure enough, as easy as anything I had over 10 million scrap in under a minute.   Also discovered a glitch with the quick weapon select if you have two of the same weapon, it's switching to the base one even if it's not 'favourited'.  Generally you shouldn't have more than one version of a weapon but it can happen, with story or boss weapons.  Other than the rig nothing is particularly bad but it just shouldn't be happening, that scrap glitch is so simple too.

It is a good game, I had a lot of fun with it, but I'd say it has some nice ideas, bags of potential but really could do a lot better.

played it for a bit now and as a huge soulsborne fan I'm really liking it so far.

But i also really liked Lords of the Fallen and even Bound By Flame, which was a bit more.. well... controversial, for the lack of a better word.

Mostly tho' it reminds me of The Technomancer so far, another overlooked and in my opinion underrated game. If you like this one, check out Technomancer, too. :)

There are quite some glitches right now that even make this a rather easy platinum i guess, if you don't mind using them. Or if you really don't get into the game and just want to quickly/easily beat it by abusing those.

One glitch is for unlimited tech scrap ("souls") by abusing the destruction of gear mechanic in the inventory menu and the other one is a HP regen glitch which makes you basically invincible!

Both can be found on gamefaqs and youtube if you really want to use those. ;)

Oh and i made it to the second area, past the first boss, without dying so far. I only noticed that because i looked over the trophy list and noticed the "I'll be back" trophy/anti-achievement for dying the first time and the subsequent trophy for retrieving your lost scrap after dying.

Thinking about making this into some kind of challenge, getting those two trophies as late as possible, ideally right before the platinum of course, but i think that will be rather unlikely. We'll see.

And yeah, just like back in demons or dark souls you can just quit to dashboard when you die to counter any penalties (and also the trophy unlocking, that was the first thing i tested). So this "challenge" is bound to become some kind of endurance test later in the game, only testing how long you are willing to quit out to dashboard every time you die :P 

This game is garbage. I hate how unresponsive the character is compared to the souls games. I completely loathe the bosses. Interesting in design, but lack any real character that makes them memorable. 

You can always use impact option to make feel like you play souls anyway, after I do that, i feel like at home.

Bought this game for $20 a few days ago. It's amazing. If you like Dead Space and Dark Souls you will love this game. Almost done with my first play through. New DLC expansion coming in December I heard.