Not caring about your confidants' problems (opinion)

Precise--Rhythm

I'm beginning to understand why some of the old-school smt fans didn't care for the more anime, story-focused, j-pop flavor of the Persona series after Persona 2. Many of my confidants are coming at me, talking to me about their hopes and dreams, and I really couldn't care less. One exception is Yosuke, who actually had some interesting insights into the struggle of reconciling one's ideals with our harsh human condition. Does anyone not care about the majority of your confidants and wish that the focus of Persona 5 would have been on combat and exploration with only very light story elements?

36d30414bf7c59b6dd5f154d74d55b8b.jpg

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

If you want combat and exploration as the main focus, you're playing the wrong genre. Aside from a couple of the confidants, I think they were written way better than the social links in persona 4

The wrong genre? The one that smt pioneered, you mean, with old dungeon grinders like Persona 1 and 2?

1 minute ago, Zozobobo57 said:

The wrong genre? The one that smt pioneered, you mean, with old dungeon grinders like Persona 1 and 2?

You know that Persona isn't a Shin Megami Tensei series but just a spin-off series, right?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zozobobo57 said:

If you don't like the changes, you can always play the mainline SMT titles, they're still dungeon crawlers(the story is still the main focus just like persona 1 and 2)

edit: Also, no one is forcing you to spend time with the confidants, you can go in the dungeons instead as much as you like

Edited by SnowxSakura

1 minute ago, Zozobobo57 said:

It's not weird, I'm just beginning to understand the complaint smt fans had after p1 and 2.

They stopped complaining once Shin Megami Tensei IV came out. There's nothing wrong with persona becoming more narrative driven to differentiate itself from the mainline SMT series

1 hour ago, Zozobobo57 said:

I'm beginning to understand why some of the old-school smt fans didn't care for the more anime, story-focused, j-pop flavor of the Persona series after Persona 2. Many of my confidants are coming at me, talking to me about their hopes and dreams, and I really couldn't care less. One exception is Yosuke, who actually had some interesting insights into the struggle of reconciling one's ideals with our harsh human condition. Does anyone not care about the majority of your confidants and wish that the focus of Persona 5 would have been on combat and exploration with only very light story elements?

I like both sides of the story. It's hard for me to compare the different eras of Persona, because localization is so much better now. I mean, it's hard to get excited about a game with silly quips like, "The goodness of a woman is not in her bra!". 

If the older titles were paid the localization attention that newer titles are, I might be inclined to agree with you, but as it currently is, i like the latter titles better.

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

If you want combat and exploration as the main focus, you're playing the wrong genre. Aside from a couple of the confidants, I think they were written way better than the social links in persona 4

When you are talking about genres this would fall under JRPG and there's plenty of genres that don't have stories like that. I think you mean series and in that case you're completely right Persona is very well known to be exactly what TC is complaining about and should likely avoid the series if he's not into it. Mainline SMT games do focus on combat and exploration. I wish Lucifer's call came to PS2 classics that game was my fave SMT game, wouldn't mind giving some of the others a shot too. 

I'm skipping allot of the text in this game and admit that at the time I found it difficult to like Persona 3 with the social links in the day, It definitely caught on though and I did care about the social links in 3 and 4. The conversation in p5 though are a bit meh, specially shogi girl and fortune teller, Goro is a bit of a knob as well so he gets fast forward. In the end they've tried to make P5 darker like 1 and 2 or any of the smt games adding the opposition dialogue to catch your personas as well. A very ambitious release and as an smt and persona fan it's a little confusing, I honestly don't care about %50 of the confidants.

10 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'm skipping allot of the text in this game and admit that at the time I found it difficult to like Persona 3 with the social links in the day, It definitely caught on though and I did care about the social links in 3 and 4. The conversation in p5 though are a bit meh, specially shogi girl and fortune teller, Goro is a bit of a knob as well so he gets fast forward. In the end they've tried to make P5 darker like 1 and 2 or any of the smt games adding the opposition dialogue to catch your personas as well. A very ambitious release and as an smt and persona fan it's a little confusing, I honestly don't care about %50 of the confidants.

That's because you did not heed my warnings and played with improper voices :awesome: 

Nope, I definitely didn't have this problem. There are lots of great Confidants in this game. Sure, there's a few that are rather meh, but it was the same with P3 and P4. I cared about the vast majority of them and I was interested to reach the conclusion of their story. You know they did something right when I was tearing up as I said my goodbyes to everyone. :P

• Like 1