[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

I felt that the story was rather sad...

Hide contents

Seemed like he had dementia plus was having a reality break due to the death of his wife...

Might have explained some things in the director's commentary, but I turn the sound and subtitles off for that piece haha

I did commentary + urns first, also with sound and subs off. Probably didn't pick up on the story very well since I was dizzy from the first run.

Your spoiler could explain it, though - certainly seems fitting. Didn't help that it seemed like

Spoiler

he was the only survivor left on the island for quite a while. Then the guy broke his leg and was on painkillers for part of the climb - seems like walking on it after that would make it really hard to focus, since it'd probably have made the break much worse.

There was at least one shadowy person standing around that had vanished by the time I got there. Kind of wish I'd turned the sound back on for the commentary at that spot.

You've also got the crazy paintings everywhere - chemical compounds?  :blink:

Definitely had sad tones to it, just seemed more disjointed to me.

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

@SyIaris...... I had the audio on for the first 5 or so of the directors' commentary...
They were saying that each time you play through the game, you'll see different things in the scenery/ details in the houses/ etc. I think you may have seen some different things than I did xD

There are some comments on the video walkthrough for the voiceovers saying the dialogue varies as well, so that's probably a lot of it.

Spoiler

Not the same angle (he seems to be using some kind of flying cheat), but I saw this one while going up the side and it was gone by the time I got over there:

Edited by SyIaris

12 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Finished up Dear Esther on Steam, took slightly over three hours despite messing up on some of the collectibles. Only a gold/100%, but it counts for the hardcore challenge if anyone's looking for a game.

Very pretty, but the story's rather odd. I'd strongly advise a guide for the urns, since they're hard to see as is.

Snap ?! I finished Dear Esther the other day for Toogie's event and I realised after I played it that it would count for this event as well, but I forgot to update ?.

So that's a Gold grade for this month, along with a Challenge Star for the Hardcore Challenge, and a boost for my Xbox competition and a new Milestone in the form of my 5th 1000G! My profile's coming along nicely now ?!

I agree with you on the games story, it was rather odd and, I'll be honest, I didn't really understand what he was talking about throughout the game. But when I got to the end, it sort of made sense in a strange way.

6 hours ago, eigen-space said:

I felt that the story was rather sad...

Reveal hidden contents

Seemed like he had dementia plus was having a reality break due to the death of his wife...

Might have explained some things in the director's commentary, but I turn the sound and subtitles off for that piece haha

What you said in the spoiler does make sense and could explain a few of the things he says in the game and also how he acts in the game.

I played the Director's Commentary BEFORE playing the actual game which was quite stupid on my end, but I genuinely didn't think that they would spoil the game in anyway, as I just thought it would be details of the music, art and game design. Well that turned out wrong on my part as I got to the end of the first chapter, and they mentioned about Esther and that was it ?:facepalm:.

The major point for me throughout the whole game, was when

Spoiler

you enter the house at the end of Chapter 2 and there are Ultrasound scan on the table which indicate that Esther was pregnant.

This just made me feel really sad and upset for Esther and the bloke I was playing as, as they obviously had everything planned and were going to be happy together, but then they were torn apart.

Edited by RizzleAbbey12

7 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

The major point for me throughout the whole game, was when

Hide contents

you enter the house at the end of Chapter 2 and there are Ultrasound scan on the table which indicate that Esther was pregnant.

This just made me feel really sad and upset for Esther and the bloke I was playing as, as they obviously had everything planned and were going to be happy together, but then they were torn apart.

For some reason I was thinking he was older and that this was part of their past. I think I got that impression because the name Esther sounds like a name from an older generation (here in the US at least).

@RizzleAbbey12, @SyIaris, just finished up Never Alone+ DLC. It will count for:

1) Minor Theme -- Has really nice graphics throughout, plus some special cut scenes with scrimshaw-esque storytelling art.
2) Would not have played anytime soon if not for event

3) Completed all currently-released DLC

Very fun game. The controls take some getting used to, but it's got good mechanics overall. The story is also fun, and has a WTF OMG moment-- I personally did not expect to have an emotional outburst during this one ?
It's also a very educational game. Won some awards in that regard. It teaches you a lot about the Inuit lifestyle.

@RizzleAbbey12, @SyIaris

In addition to Never Alone (post above), I also just got my platinum #40 with Final Fantasy IX! Woot!

Here's what it fulfills:

1) Minor Theme
2) Hardcore Requirement: Best Graphics at Playstation User Awards 2001, Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction & Outstanding Achievement in Animation at 4th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards
3) Retro game (released originally in 2000)
4) Part of another event: Final Fantasy Project Platinum
5) 4 Games in the Same Month: Dear Esther, Final Fantasy XII, Never Alone, Final Fantasy IX

If you could switch the graphic that's currently being used for March (currently FFXII) and use FFIX instead... and then use the FFXII graphic for the 4 Games challenge, that would be awesome!

Question:
If I complete a 5th game this month that fits the theme, do I get a star next to the 4 Games challenge? Or would I need to play a total of 8 games for a star? Or do we only get one star for that challenge each month?

• Like 1

@eigen-space

I'll get your updates in tomorrow - good work!

Four per star, so getting more than one per month is rare, but a few people have done it.  :)

Alright, think you should be all set. Very impressive, you've checked off all but the awkward challenge!

Glad to hear you liked Never Alone in particular - I've been torn between playing it on PS4 (without the DLC) or on PC (with it) for quite a while.

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

I'll submit Oxenfree as my game for March's theme, since it won the Excellence in Visual Art award at the 2016 IGF Awards - thanks to someone earlier in the thread for pointing that out.  It doesn't have the 'hang on, let me screenshot this' appeal of something like Dear Esther, but it has a really distinct, painterly style that I think works well for the game.

Stat changes during the year:

Platinum trophies: +3

100% completed: +2

Completion: +1.77%

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fitzquaid said:

I'll submit Oxenfree as my game for March's theme, since it won the Excellence in Visual Art award at the 2016 IGF Awards - thanks to someone earlier in the thread for pointing that out.  It doesn't have the 'hang on, let me screenshot this' appeal of something like Dear Esther, but it has a really distinct, painterly style that I think works well for the game.

Stat changes during the year:

Platinum trophies: +3

100% completed: +2

Completion: +1.77%

Huh, I did not think that would have a plat. Cool.  :)

Got you down for Oxenfree, Never Alone + DLC, and hardcore. Nice job!

Edited by SyIaris

12 hours ago, SyIaris said:

@eigen-space

I'll get your updates in tomorrow - good work!

Four per star, so getting more than one per month is rare, but a few people have done it.  :)

Alright, think you should be all set. Very impressive, you've checked off all but the awkward challenge!

Glad to hear you liked Never Alone in particular - I've been torn between playing it on PS4 (without the DLC) or on PC (with it) for quite a while.

It is such a beautiful game, isn't it? Really enjoyed the insights.

March Stats: 3/17/2018

Journey  2757.pngMarch Requirement 2757.pngHard Core Complete a game you started over a year ago

Never Alone/Foxtales  2757.pngMarch Requirement  2757.pngPart of another event  All DLC

FEZ  2757.pngMarch Requirement 2757.pngPart of another event

Plats: 3 > 10
100% Games: 5 > 12
Completion: 19.92% > 28.43%
Edited by PermaFox
  • Like 1

So, just a bit of notice - I'm probably not going to be able to update for 3-4 days, so there may be a slight delay on changes to the first post.

10 hours ago, PermaFox said:

It is such a beautiful game, isn't it? Really enjoyed the insights.

Think you meant to quote @eigen-space, not me - Never Alone is still sitting in my backlog.  :)

Updated - very impressive progress you're making!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Think you meant to quote @eigen-space, not me - Never Alone is still sitting in my backlog.  :)

Updated - very impressive progress you're making!

Actually, I was directing this to both of you and anyone else that wanted to jump in with their views!  I think the game is worth a try because it is so different from the majority of games that we play.  Onward to seeing if I can complete RiME before the end of the month for this month's theme.  

Good luck everyone!

So, I've completed two games this month so far.  First, Catlateral Damage which won't win any graphics awards, had fairly straightforward but unspectacular graphics but was a lot more fun than I actually expected it to be.  Basically, it's just trash the house (or whatever setting you happen to be in) getting points as you knock stuff on the floor.  Simple, straightforward and fun.

Second was Rime, which has been done by several people on here this month.  Fantastic looking game with loads of exploration to be had.  I found the controls tight and easy to use.  Next to no combat to speak of but just exploring the gorgeous setting and searching for every nook and cranny was a lot of fun.  The story develops very slowly but really pays off.  Really liked this game.

So, one game for this month's theme.  Not sure if I'm going to get another finished so no hardcore for me this month.  It was being played for the Kill Your Completion event as well, so there is a side challenge covered as well.

• Like 1

March Stats: 3/18/2018

Journey  2757.pngMarch Requirement 2757.pngHard Core 2757.pngComplete a game you started over a year ago

Never Alone/Foxtales  2757.pngMarch Requirement  2757.pngPart of another event  2757.pngAll DLC

FEZ  2757.pngMarch Requirement 2757.pngPart of another event 2757.pngComplete a game you started over a year ago

Forgot I started FEZ over a year ago!  Guess I take my time with these games!

So, adding a couple of titles to the mix here.

I platted Persona 5, which has one of the greatest aesthetic designs of any game I've ever played. I don't know if it won awards specifically for graphics, but I know that if it didn't, then the critical community should rethink what graphics and design entail.

I also platted Burly Men of the Sea. That game was a massive disappointment, but the graphical style was certainly unique.

My current numbers:

Plats: 273

100% Completed: 344

Completion percentage: 81.27%

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

Hey everyone, sorry for not being very active on here for the past couple of weeks! Mum's decided to decorate again so it's been hectic to say the least. 

Anyway, here I go with the updates;

On 18/03/2018 at 3:36 PM, Kevvik said:

So, I've completed two games this month so far.  First, Catlateral Damage which won't win any graphics awards, had fairly straightforward but unspectacular graphics but was a lot more fun than I actually expected it to be.  Basically, it's just trash the house (or whatever setting you happen to be in) getting points as you knock stuff on the floor.  Simple, straightforward and fun.

Second was Rime, which has been done by several people on here this month.  Fantastic looking game with loads of exploration to be had.  I found the controls tight and easy to use.  Next to no combat to speak of but just exploring the gorgeous setting and searching for every nook and cranny was a lot of fun.  The story develops very slowly but really pays off.  Really liked this game.

So, one game for this month's theme.  Not sure if I'm going to get another finished so no hardcore for me this month.  It was being played for the Kill Your Completion event as well, so there is a side challenge covered as well.

Hey Kevvik! :) It looks like you've been busy over the past couple of weeks! I've updated your stats for you!

On 18/03/2018 at 5:31 PM, PermaFox said:

March Stats: 3/18/2018

Journey  2757.pngMarch Requirement 2757.pngHard Core 2757.pngComplete a game you started over a year ago

Never Alone/Foxtales  2757.pngMarch Requirement  2757.pngPart of another event  2757.pngAll DLC

FEZ  2757.pngMarch Requirement 2757.pngPart of another event 2757.pngComplete a game you started over a year ago

Forgot I started FEZ over a year ago!  Guess I take my time with these games!

Hey PermaFox! You look like you've been busy as well ;)! I've put in the extra star for you in your stats!

12 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Finished up the plat for Horizon Zero Dawn. Which also fits the hardcore requirement, as they got a lot of different awards for graphics and animation.

Current Stats:

Platinum trophies: 133
100% completed: 3`
Completion: 66.02%

Hey ExHaseo! That's a brilliant game to finish for this month, I hope you enjoyed it! I've updated your stats for you.

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I platted Persona 5, which has one of the greatest aesthetic designs of any game I've ever played. I don't know if it won awards specifically for graphics, but I know that if it didn't, then the critical community should rethink what graphics and design entail.

I also platted Burly Men of the Sea. That game was a massive disappointment, but the graphical style was certainly unique.

My current numbers:

Hey starcrunch! That's a very varied bunch of games for this month :)! I've updated your stats for you! 

That's disappointing to hear about Burly Men at Sea. I've been wanting to get that for a while but I think I might have to think again about that now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

My current numbers:

I found one award for Persona 5 that has something to do with graphics.

It won the award for "Art Direction, Contemporary" at the 17th Annual National Academy of Video Games Trade Reviewers.

I never heard of this award but I guess it should count.

In regards of my progress for this month:

I got the :platinum: for Rime finally.

It's an interesting game everyone should experience who got it for free with PS+

It also qualifies for "Another event" as it was part of Kill your Completion 6.

Here's the picture to use:

1Sede020.png

I might finish Color Guardians as well till the end of the month. I guess that game could count too.

• Like 2

Hello there! I want to know if I can add Tales From The Borderlands (it was also part of The Love Boat event) as my monthly game, since it used the same art as Borderlands 2 who was even nominated for some Artistic awards (I only want to apply for the theme and not the HR tho...)

Also, I'm close to the :platinum: of Borderlands 2 so if somehow I get it before the end of the month I'll add to this event for sure ;)

On 3/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, CJ_Mystery said:

Wow, sorry you're hurting so bad. You really should go get it checked out. It's better just to withdraw in shame than it is to torture yourself and maybe end up in the hospital for reals because the game messed with your body. I remember when Mario Party 1 got Nintendo a huge lawsuit from mothers whose kids ripped their poor hands up because of the damn "rotate the analog stick" minigames. That's why Mario Parties no longer have those damn mini-games. :( I hope you get better soon.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:26 PM, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your forearm! I hope you manage to feel / get better soon! Let me know what game you would like to use for your skip and I'll update it for you.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the well wishes. I've been fine since I stopped playing YK, would only last for an hour or two after it started. I deleted the game from my hdd and have it in the stack for stuff that needs to go up on eBay.

Can I use Aven Colony for my skip? That's mostly what I played during Feb. I didn't get the plat until March so I'm okay with just a story completion if that's allowed.

I'm not done with March yet but I'm going for the 4 games 1 month bonus. My official game is Journey for the HCR which I paid tribute to by 100%ing the PS4 list on the anniversary of it's release. Love that game. Started and cleared Submerged (which I picked up for a now defunct community event Emotional Adventures). Completed initial playthrough of Abzu and have started on the clean up run. Then I will probably jump on the Rime bandwagon to at least get a platinum in there. 

Also threw my vote in for bad guys win, even though it seems futile at this point.