[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

On 3/18/2018 at 7:39 AM, PermaFox said:

Actually, I was directing this to both of you and anyone else that wanted to jump in with their views!  I think the game is worth a try because it is so different from the majority of games that we play.  Onward to seeing if I can complete RiME before the end of the month for this month's theme.  

Good luck everyone!

Agreed, it caught my eye when it was given out - definitely looks like it's worth a try.

How's Rime coming along?

21 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I found one award for Persona 5 that has something to do with graphics.

It won the award for "Art Direction, Contemporary" at the 17th Annual National Academy of Video Games Trade Reviewers.

I never heard of this award but I guess it should count.

In regards of my progress for this month:

I got the :platinum: for Rime finally.

It's an interesting game everyone should experience who got it for free with PS+

It also qualifies for "Another event" as it was part of Kill your Completion 6.

Here's the picture to use:

1Sede020.png

I might finish Color Guardians as well till the end of the month. I guess that game could count too.

Thanks for catching that! Updated hardcore for @starcrunch061.

Nice work on Rime - it's certainly proving to be popular this month. I'd count Color Guardians for its theme, if not its actual visuals.

4 hours ago, Lorajet said:

Latest update for March:

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 :platinum:

• Theme
  • Part of Another Event

Platinum trophies: 8 > 16

100% Non-Platinum completed: 9 > 12

Completion: 28.89% > 32.21%

Nicely done. Aiming for four this month?

4 hours ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

Hello there! I want to know if I can add Tales From The Borderlands (it was also part of The Love Boat event) as my monthly game, since it used the same art as Borderlands 2 who was even nominated for some Artistic awards (I only want to apply for the theme and not the HR tho...)

Also, I'm close to the :platinum: of Borderlands 2 so if somehow I get it before the end of the month I'll add to this event for sure ;)

Sure, nomination seems legit enough to count it for the base.

Good luck with Borderlands 2! Let me know if you need some (rusty) help; don't think I ever deleted it off my PS3. :)

2 hours ago, XX_FTW said:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the well wishes. I've been fine since I stopped playing YK, would only last for an hour or two after it started. I deleted the game from my hdd and have it in the stack for stuff that needs to go up on eBay.

Can I use Aven Colony for my skip? That's mostly what I played during Feb. I didn't get the plat until March so I'm okay with just a story completion if that's allowed.

I'm not done with March yet but I'm going for the 4 games 1 month bonus. My official game is Journey for the HCR which I paid tribute to by 100%ing the PS4 list on the anniversary of it's release. Love that game. Started and cleared Submerged (which I picked up for a now defunct community event Emotional Adventures). Completed initial playthrough of Abzu and have started on the clean up run. Then I will probably jump on the Rime bandwagon to at least get a platinum in there. 

Also threw my vote in for bad guys win, even though it seems futile at this point.

Glad you're doing better! Ever get in to check it out, just in case it's likely to be a problem later on?

Certainly, have you down for the story skip. Looks like you could use 36 Fragments of Midnight instead, if you'd prefer a platinum.

Quite the update! Journey's a wonderful game, and that's a cool time to redo it. Good luck with Abzu and Rime; hope you enjoy them.  :)

I dunno, it's down to a three-vote difference. Could go either way.

• Like 1

@SyIaris, @RizzleAbbey12

Just finished up Earthlock: Festival of Magic, which I think counts for the minor theme this month. Most of the landscapes are nicely done, but the real winners are the character models and the load screen art. It also has a nicely-drawn comic book as an 'extra'. And, OMG, the trophy icons are beautiful!
It wasn't nominated for any awards, but many reviews do say that the art is great (and that the story is lacking-- which it is... has no depth).

Edited by eigen-space

31 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

@SyIaris, @RizzleAbbey12

Just finished up Earthlock: Festival of Magic, which I think counts for the minor theme this month. Most of the landscapes are nicely done, but the real winners are the character models and the load screen art. It also has a nicely-drawn comic book as an 'extra'. And, OMG, the trophy icons are beautiful!
It wasn't nominated for any awards, but many reviews do say that the art is great (and that the story is lacking-- which it is... has no depth).

You're on a roll! :yay:

Disappointing to hear that story's so lacking, but how'd you like it otherwise?

25 minutes ago, Lorajet said:

@SyIaris Might be thinking of trying for four!  Need to see what is in the backlog!

Go for it! :D

Edited by SyIaris

2 hours ago, SyIaris said:

You're on a roll! :yay:

Disappointing to hear that story's so lacking, but how'd you like it otherwise?

I really liked the battle system. The game doesn't really let you over-level, so it's always a little challenging; for example, if I wanted to start grinding levels at level 10 to make the next area more less difficult, I would either be forced to fight level 15 opponents (which is suicide) or fight level 10 and under opponents (which doesn't yield much exp) because the area to fight level 11-12 opponents is unable to be accessed. The level cap is also at level 20.
Instead of relying on leveling, you'd have to rely more on how you set up your Talent Boards or focus on strategy. The Talent Board allows you to unlike certain passive and active skills as well as customize your character's stats; you can "pull up" and stat boosts or skills in order to customize for different battles (such as buffing magic defense instead of physical defense for a fight against a magic wielder). For battles, you have two different "stances" that you can fight in per character, and each has its benefits and drawbacks so you have to figure out which will be the best set to use against a certain boss/encounter. You also get different stat boosts or passive skills for how you arrange your battle party.

So, yeah... this plus the art work-- especially the character designs-- were pretty great. They also left the ending pretty wide-open so there may be a sequel.
The devs also realized that they could improve on the game, so they re-released it earlier this month with a different trophy list and some pretty neat additions/revamps. I don't think the things they added will help with plot/character development, but it does sound promising. I think I'll play it again in August if the "Farmer Joe" theme is picked because apparently in the new version you get to raise kittens and other creatures in addition to the plants you have to raise in the original game. The devs are also letting anyone who purchased the original game download the new version for free :)

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

I really liked the battle system. The game doesn't really let you over-level, so it's always a little challenging; for example, if I wanted to start grinding levels at level 10 to make the next area more difficult, I would either be forced to fight level 15 opponents (which is suicide) or fight level 10 and under opponents (which doesn't yield much exp) because the area to fight level 11-12 opponents is unable to be accessed. The level cap is also at level 20.
Instead of relying on leveling, you'd have to rely more on how you set up your Talent Boards or focus on strategy. The Talent Board allows you to unlike certain passive and active skills as well as customize your character's stats; you can "pull up" and stat boosts or skills in order to customize for different battles (such as buffing magic defense instead of physical defense for a fight against a magic wielder). For battles, you have two different "stances" that you can fight in per character, and each has its benefits and drawbacks so you have to figure out which will be the best set to use against a certain boss/encounter. You also get different stat boosts or passive skills for how you arrange your battle party.

So, yeah... this plus the art work-- especially the character designs-- were pretty great. They also left the ending pretty wide-open so there may be a sequel.
The devs also realized that they could improve on the game, so they re-released it earlier this month with a different trophy list and some pretty neat additions/revamps. I don't think the things they added will help with plot/character development, but it does sound promising. I think I'll play it again in August if the "Farmer Joe" theme is picked because apparently in the new version you get to raise kittens and other creatures in addition to the plants you have to raise in the original game. The devs are also letting anyone who purchased the original game download the new version for free :)

A good battle system certainly helps. Sounds a bit too much like Rainbow Moon for my liking, but that's not a bad thing.

The talent board sounds really interesting, though... quite a bit of depth to it. Those are usually great games.

Always good to have something nice to look at. If the first game/re-release does well, I wouldn't be surprised to hear a sequel's in the works!

Raising kittens? That sounds adorable.  :wub:

Handy to have a potential option picked out so far ahead of time, too - that's probably going to be a tough one for me.

@Lorajet, I looked at the incomplete games on your profile, and I think that Hue or Back to Bed would fit the theme for this month if you want to reach 4 games. Hue has relatively simple graphics/art, but they are really compelling for the story; in fact, the use of color for the puzzles in that game is really artistic imo. Back to Bed's levels are based on Salvador Dali's art and the space bending of M.C. Escher, so that would definitely qualify.

Ok so I completed Rime and Journey this month, and am hours away from completing Uncharted Lost Legacy. I’d like to make a case that Little Adventure on the Prairie is artistic, in a 90s sort of way. 

Because if I can successfully make that case, then I am just two Uncharted trophies away from completing the 4 games a month challenge.

If I can’t successfully make that case, I’ll find another game to complete.

19 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

If I can’t successfully make that case, I’ll find another game to complete.

If you're good with non-plat games, these would fit and can be done in probably 5 hours or less based on my experience with them:

-Dear Esther (meets HC requirement)

-Never Alone + DLC

-The Unfinished Swan

-Hue

-Back to Bed

-Machinarium (meets HC requirement per Wikipedia)

-Child of Light (will take longer than 5 hours, but it's a fantastic game-- meets HC requirement, Best Visual Arts @Canadian Videogame Awards 2013/2014)

And these are relatively short platinums (20-30 hrs):

-Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (meets HC per Wikipedia)

-Earthlock

• Like 1

Looking at my month I think I have 4 plats that should be eligible, what does everyone think

• Rime - We all agree on this one, nice graphical style and some lovely scenes
  • Nier: Automata - Beautiful game
  • Ratchet and Clank - The game Looks Amazing and has some awesome views when you get to planets
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda - This is the one i'm 50/50 on I think after all the patches that this game has some of the best looking planets I've seen. The character models need work but the world themselves look pretty amazing.

If some of these don't fit I can hopefully find others to put in but I stand by my calls :P 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dessane said:

Looking at my month I think I have 4 plats that should be eligible, what does everyone think

• Rime - We all agree on this one, nice graphical style and some lovely scenes
  • Nier: Automata - Beautiful game
  • Ratchet and Clank - The game Looks Amazing and has some awesome views when you get to planets
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda - This is the one i'm 50/50 on I think after all the patches that this game has some of the best looking planets I've seen. The character models need work but the world themselves look pretty amazing.

If some of these don't fit I can hopefully find others to put in but I stand by my calls :P 

Nier got a nomination for "Excellence in Visual Achievement" and "Excellence in Art" at the 2018 SXSW Gaming Awards, so it should count for the theme.

I also found some critics for Ratchet and Clank praising the graphics but no nomination for any award in that regard. But critics should know what they say. I mean it's their job.

For Mass Effect I found nothing at all about the graphics so not sure about that one. I only played a bit of the demo and can't really recall how it looked, which for me is not an indication for great art.

I would count the first three at least.

@SyIaris, don't worry about updating as I've just done it for you ?! Sorry I haven't been on sooner though, Agents of Mayhem has been keeping me on the Xbox and I've also just got a Game Pass so I can play Sea of Thieves.

On 22/03/2018 at 5:22 AM, eigen-space said:

@RizzleAbbey12, @SyIaris-- question about the rules:

If I have already platinumed something but haven't yet completed the DLC-- and haven't used the game yet in this event-- how would that be counted if I do complete all DLC during the month which it is eligible for the theme?

I think we already said something about a similar question to this but I'd see it as it would just complete the DLC challenge and not the requirement for the main theme as that has to be done with a full game.

@Dessane, those are all great games for this months theme! I've counted the first three, Nier, Rime and Ratchet and Clank for the hardcore challenge due to the reasons @MarkusT1992 said. But I wouldn't be able to count Mass Effect in the hardcore as it hasn't had any nominations / awards. But I have counted it for the main theme. Congrats on finishing all of those games! I've updated you!

@ShogunCroCop, congrats on finishing all of those games! I've updated your stats for you. I've counted Little Adventure on the Prarie for the main challenge and the others for the hardcore challenge so you have completed the 4 games challenge :).

Edited by RizzleAbbey12
  • Like 4

Good to see everyone's playing all these good looking games!

I got the plat for "Uncharted: Lost Legacy" which won "Best Graphics" in Game Informer's 2017 Action Game of the Year Awards so that covers the hardcore requirement.

I also got the plat for "RIME", I enjoyed the game overall definitely had a heavy theme to it which was interesting. This should also net me the challenge for completing a game that I would not have played anytime soon otherwise. The majority of PS+ games that don't grab me just sit in the library but I'm glad I gave this one a shot.

Just gotta figure out what to plat for next month, keep up the good work peeps.

Well, I won't be able to count any more games for this month but I'll try to plat some games for next month's challenges as I have a few LEGO games on the way - as long as the current poll holds and good guys win, I can count LEGO Marvel Superheroes and LEGO Harry Potter. :)

On 3/24/2018 at 3:09 AM, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I think we already said something about a similar question to this but I'd see it as it would just complete the DLC challenge and not the requirement for the main theme as that has to be done with a full game.

Must have missed where it was explained before. Granted, I only looked at the first post and didn't see anything specifically mentioning this scenario apart from the one where you can't continue earning the DLC challenge if DLC keeps getting released at various points in the year. I thought maybe it could have been treated as a 100% gold trophy if the platinum had been gotten in a different month but wasn't used in the event.
Maybe you should put it in the FAQ since it was asked before :) 

Now on to grinding away at this FFXV dlc xD 

I finished another game which might count for the theme.

I'm refering to What Remains of Edith Finch. I looked just for fun if this game won any awards. In fact I found one that, in my opinion, has something to do with graphics, namely the Lighting/Texturing award from the National Academy of Video Games Trade Reviewers Awards, where it won the award this year.

So if you are going to count it it again would grant a star for the other event challenge as it's also part of KYC 6.

Maybe I can complete a fourth game but I don't know what. Suggestions are welcome, preferable not to long ones.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, RizzleAbbey12 said:

@Dessane, those are all great games for this months theme! I've counted the first three, Nier, Rime and Ratchet and Clank for the hardcore challenge due to the reasons @MarkusT1992 said. But I wouldn't be able to count Mass Effect in the hardcore as it hasn't had any nominations / awards. But I have counted it for the main theme. Congrats on finishing all of those games! I've updated you!

Thanks for that :) This has been a good month for my gaming! All really good games

Wow, I really haven't posted anything here for a while... And when I have something to say, it's not so much... :P

Well, I'm another person who had finished Rime, granting me Platinum Grade for March, plus a Golden Star in "because of this event" challenge.

Since I do not intend to complete anything more for this month (a.k.a. I'm just waiting for April), I will also post my updated stats:

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +10

100% completed: +4

Completion: +1,04%

However, after reading what @eigen-space have said some posts ago, and considering that I intend to surpass 13.000 trophies next weekend, maybe I can try Machinaruim (PS4) by end of this month...

• Like 3