[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

Just a question about next month's theme. I think it's pretty clear that it will be the series one.

Do we count any game of a series? For example, I remembered that I hace to replay Tales from the Borderlands on PS4. Do we count this one because it's part of the Borderlands series or do we not count it because it's some kind of spin off.

Personally I would count it. It's set in the same world, you even have characters from the main games.

And that's not just for this game. Do all Batman games count as one series or are the Arkham and LEGO Batman games different series?

I think this could be important for other people as well.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Just a question about next month's theme. I think it's pretty clear that it will be the series one.

Do we count any game of a series? For example, I remembered that I hace to replay Tales from the Borderlands on PS4. Do we count this one because it's part of the Borderlands series or do we not count it because it's some kind of spin off.

Personally I would count it. It's set in the same world, you even have characters from the main games.

And that's not just for this game. Do all Batman games count as one series or are the Arkham and LEGO Batman games different series?

If I recall the discussion correctly we decided on stuff being part of their larger franchises regardless of developer or game genre. So Tales From The Borderlands is a Borderlands game, Super Star Wars and Star Wars Racer Revenge are both as much part of the Star Wars franchise and LEGO games are double whammy's because they count as part of both the LEGO franchise games and as part of the specific franchise they're in.

Note that having the same developer doesn't automatically make games a part of a franchise; so The Wolf Among Us is a standalone and not part of a "Telltale franchise", and ICO is not part of a franchise with Shadow Of The Colossus and The Last Guardian just because the developer has hinted that they might all be happening in the same universe.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

If I recall the discussion correctly we decided on stuff being part of their larger franchises regardless of developer or game genre. So Tales From The Borderlands is a Borderlands game, Super Star Wars and Star Wars Racer Revenge are both as much part of the Star Wars franchise and LEGO games are double whammy's because they count as part of both the LEGO franchise games and as part of the specific franchise they're in.

Note that having the same developer doesn't automatically make games a part of a franchise; so The Wolf Among Us is a standalone and not part of a "Telltale franchise", and ICO is not part of a franchise with Shadow Of The Colossus and The Last Guardian just because the developer has hinted that they might all be happening in the same universe.

IIRC we never really decided on that, thus the question. But it makes more sense that way.

The Wolfe among us is part of the Fables series. There's another series of games called Dark Parables with a total of 13 games, which is inspired by the Fables comics. I guess that wouldn't allow The Wolfe among us though.

If it is decided that every game counts I might finally play Tales from the Borderlands again.

And another question just came in mind. What is with games to movies, tv shows, books and so on? Would it count even though there's only one game at the moment? I mean it is part of a series after all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

IIRC we never really decided on that, thus the question. But it makes more sense that way.

The Wolfe among us is part of the Fables series. There's another series of games called Dark Parables with a total of 13 games, which is inspired by the Fables comics. I guess that wouldn't allow The Wolfe among us though.

If it is decided that every game counts I might finally play Tales from the Borderlands again.

And another question just came in mind. What is with games to movies, tv shows, books and so on? Would it count even though there's only one game at the moment? I mean it is part of a series after all.

Nothing was explicitly said on LEGO being their own franchise but yeah, Telltale's The Walking Dead was being mentioned by name as being part of the larger TWD franchise (which has more games in it), not just Telltale's TWD. I think Tales From The Borderlands was also explicitly mentioned as part of the Borderlands franchise, which puts that franchise on 4 games if I'm not mistaken.

On the movies et cetera, I'd say that yeah a solo game part of a larger franchise would count for the general theme, but for the hardcore requirement only game titles would count towards the minimum of five titles. But in the end that's up to @RizzleAbbey12 and @SyIaris.

35 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

@MarkusT1992 - I see you're playing Project Cars. Will you have enough time to do the Community/online trophies before the server closes in December? Wanted to get it when i was on sale on sale but chickened out.

I played this for a little bit when it was new and didn't like it enough, figured I'd get it once it was cheap. How many trophies are affected by this? Is it just a wee bit of multiplayer stuff or is it a broken half-game afterwards?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I would have to see if @SyIaris agrees with me on this but yes I would count any game that's apart of a series as most games that are like Tales of the Borderlands, are part of a bigger series of games. The LEGO games could be counted in both of the 

games' series so for example, LEGO Harry Potter would count for both LEGO and the Harry Potter game series and then the same with Batman. :) 

11 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

So what Billy said is correct as we discussed it a couple of weeks ago and came to this decision. :) 

10 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Thats a good question. :) I think if games have come out of the movies, books etc, then it could be okay to count it for the general requirement but not for the hardcore requirement. :) But I'll have to see if @SyIaris agrees first. However I think we should just leave it at a series of games as if we start delving into movies, books etc, as it's a lot simpler for people to plan what they are going to play for the theme. 

Edited by RizzleAbbey12
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I played this for a little bit when it was new and didn't like it enough, figured I'd get it once it was cheap. How many trophies are affected by this? Is it just a wee bit of multiplayer stuff or is it a broken half-game afterwards?

From glancing at the trophy list and reading some forum posts, I think there were 2 trophies affected. Don't quote me on it as I'm not entirely sure.

25 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

From glancing at the trophy list and reading some forum posts, I think there were 2 trophies affected. Don't quote me on it as I'm not entirely sure.

I decided to check and there are six "Online (Public) Race" trophies, there is one leaderboard trophy (which might go unaffected) and there is one "Community Event" trophy. It helps that they're color coded...

So I guess that means that there's eight or nine unobtainables after december, excluding the platinum. And looking at these trophy qualifications, I would probably not do any of these anyway, so I guess the chance of me playing the game does not decrease with the online trophies becoming unobtainable.

Here's hoping they decide to put the game on PS+ some time before the servers shut down, I would definitely play it if it was on PS+.

Edited by BillyHorrible
typo
  • Like 1

Whoops, missed a lot more than I thought I would yesterday. Sorry about that, was helping my dad pack and such for his flight last night and trying to get an E3 Experience ticket with their FUBAR'd site.

Billy and Abbey covered my opinion on games; more or less, if it's the same universe, I'd consider it the same series regardless of the gameplay. Mostly.

My gut reaction's a mild "not really" for movie/TV/book-based stuff on its own (wouldn't a decent number qualify as a set anyway?), but as long as it doesn't count for hardcore it doesn't really bother me either way.  :dunno:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Whoops, missed a lot more than I thought I would yesterday. Sorry about that, was helping my dad pack and such for his flight last night and trying to get an E3 Experience ticket with their FUBAR'd site.

Billy and Abbey covered my opinion on games; more or less, if it's the same universe, I'd consider it the same series regardless of the gameplay. Mostly.

My gut reaction's a mild "not really" for movie/TV/book-based stuff on its own (wouldn't a decent number qualify as a set anyway?), but as long as it doesn't count for hardcore it doesn't really bother me either way.  :dunno:

My point exactly, only game titles should count for the hardcore requirement.

Can't think of any good examples though, most of these other media franchises seem to have at least two games in them, so no games that would not count if non-game titles weren't allowed as calling it a franchise for the general theme.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Can't think of any good examples though, most of these other media franchises seem to have at least two games in them, so no games that would not count if non-game titles weren't allowed as calling it a franchise for the general theme.

I'm sure there are at least a few that would be excluded, but there are quite a few that wouldn't. Seems like a lot of the old "for the trophies" games do. NCIS, CSI, Megamind, Hannah Montana, Barbie...

The latter two would both qualify for hardcore, actually. Almost makes me want to grab one just to have it for my challenge icon.  :awesome:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

I'm sure there are at least a few that would be excluded, but there are quite a few that wouldn't. Seems like a lot of the old "for the trophies" games do. NCIS, CSI, Megamind, Hannah Montana, Barbie...

The latter two would both qualify for hardcore, actually. Almost makes me want to grab one just to have it for my challenge icon.  :awesome:

I think there are several NCIS and CSI games as well, though perhaps not with trophies.

12 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

@MarkusT1992 - I see you're playing Project Cars. Will you have enough time to do the Community/online trophies before the server closes in December? Wanted to get it when i was on sale on sale but chickened out.

12 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I decided to check and there are six "Online (Public) Race" trophies, there is one leaderboard trophy (which might go unaffected) and there is one "Community Event" trophy. It helps that they're color coded...

So I guess that means that there's eight or nine unobtainables after december, excluding the platinum. And looking at these trophy qualifications, I would probably not do any of these anyway, so I guess the chance of me playing the game does not decrease with the online trophies becoming unobtainable.

Here's hoping they decide to put the game on PS+ some time before the servers shut down, I would definitely play it if it was on PS+.

Are you sure that the servers are gona shut down? I only know that the "Community Ambassador" trophy could be onobtainable. You need to participate in 20 community events and noone knows how many events are planned for the rest of the year. The developpers stop doing new ones at the end of the year, due to Project Cars 2

But I allready had some trophies in this game so I decided to start working on that trophy. Maybe there are enough left. If you want to get the plat, you should start now.

I don't know if I will ever get the plat even when there's enough events left. There's one trophy for doing the 24h race in real time.

For the rest of the multiplayer trophies there seems to be an easy way to get them.

18 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think it is clear that only games count for the hardcore requirement. I can't think of a game either. Even Game of Thrones has at least two games. A very bad one but it still is a game.

June's theme: Series Games

Any game part of a series with two or more official titles across any platforms qualifies this month. Series with a single release but other media connection counts as well, but is excluded from challenges.

Hardcore requirement: From a series with five or more games. (Example: FIFA, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet & Clank, Persona)

Have fun!

If you didn't manage to complete your latest May (earth) game, you still have 24 hours from the time of this post to finish your game and post about it in the thread. You can, however, already earn ranks for June as of now.

Future change:

@RizzleAbbey12 pointed out that July's (Time) and November's (Advancement) themes have too much overlap, and we've agreed to change the latter. Tentatively, the thought is to take all random round suggestions that haven't been used and aren't close to one of the monthly options and leave it to popular vote.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Since the month is over now and my stats won't change anymore here's my update on my stats.

All values are seen from the beginning of the event.

Platinum trophies: +7

100% completed: +2

Completion: +3,91%

I've updated you! :) 

Update Time for me:

I went back and finished How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition which is now 100%, its just a shame it didn't have a platinum.-_- This is Earth based as it is set on an several islands in which you have to escape from and also you have to live off the land by foraging plants and hunting animals, along with killing zombies! :P 

I also went back and finished Dead Island so thats now platted and 100%ed as well. I'm really happy I went back to finish this as I really enjoyed playing it again. Plus I made some brilliant new friends/coop partners so all in all I had a good experience with the game. This has Earth elements in it as the whole game is set on an island that we again have to escape from. 

I also platted Watch Dogs 1 and 2 in May but I won't count those as I managed to find better examples of Earth games. :) All of these games have now taken me up to 80% overall on my profile so I'm happy with that! :D 

Platinums - 66 (+3)

100% - 2 (+1)

Completion Percentage - 80.24% (+8.33%) 

12 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

@MarkusT1992 - Re: Project Cars, if there's a way to do it offline, then I guess you have nothing to worry about :) If that's true I might get it in the future. For now I'll wait and see.

Will update later today.

The plat will be unobtainable once the community events stop. The events only last for a few days. Currently one is active. If you want to get the plat, you should start doing the events. Try to not unlock any trophies. If there aren't enough events left you can just delete the game or do whatever you want if you care for 100%

Wow, its the end of the month already.

I didn't actually plat a game for the challenge this month.  I guess I qualify for a silver as I finished the main story for Stranger of Sword City, a really enjoyable dungeon crawler.  Still have a RNG drop trophy (something in me truly hates these since the RNG gods feel the same way about me, but I love dungeon crawlers ? and Operation Babel awaits!) to complete as well as the post-game dungeon.  This should qualify as you go through a number of dungeons (underground, undersea, forests, towers, formal dungeons) and the hardcore talked about playing a large portion in dungeons/underground and that is what pretty much the whole game is about.  Have been enjoying this much more than Demon Gaze that I did during the KYC 3.0 (no exceedingly inappropriate characters).

Other than that all I finished during May was the plat for Steins;Gate which doesn't really qualify (unless you think it does ? ) but was still very good and a few FFX trophies.  Didn't even play my PS4 or PS3 this month, just the Vita on the go due to being just too bloody busy with work and RL.

Hopefully I'll have better luck in June.

Stat changes for event

Platinums - +17 (+1 this month)

100% games - +3 (no change this month)

Completion rate - +0.54% (+0.06% this month)

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 2

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to clear a game that suited this month's theme in time, but I just finished Dragon's Crown. While part of the plot revolves around the titular Dragon's Crown, conflicts over borders and lands lead to the resurrection of an ancient dragon that will eventually raze the earth bare. The game also has a burial/resurrection system integrated into how you summon other players to help you offline. And, finally, the dungeons in Dragon's Crown are in a few underground locations (underground lab, subterranean fortress) and some of the others had caves that you had to fight through, including a brief trip to hell. I think this also fulfills the HC challenge of underground/cave locations.

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +10

100% completed: +3

Completion:  +3.48

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

The plat will be unobtainable once the community events stop. The events only last for a few days. Currently one is active. If you want to get the plat, you should start doing the events. Try to not unlock any trophies. If there aren't enough events left you can just delete the game or do whatever you want if you care for 100%

Well, I guess I'll wait for Project Cars 2. Thanks for the confirmation. I wasn't entirely sure how the online worked.

Edit: Next month's theme is already up? Okay, I'll have a look at my backlog list. Not sure which games qualify.

Edited by Edunstar84
  • Like 1

I buckled up and 100%ed rain yesterday (tried Kung Fu Rabbit for the final trophy first and couldn't get into it, then tried Laser Disco Defenders and couldn't get into it, so I figured in that final hour or so of playtime I might as well just get rid of rain), so you can up my 100%ed stat by one more. My current completion percentage is 51,61% so +0,93% since the start of the event.

Unfortunately, I have just joined the Summer Backlog Challenge. Fortunately and by complete chance, I have added one game to that list that apparently is part of a franchise with exactly five games (talking about Invizimals, by the way) so that means I can just play that this month and I won't have to rush with getting LEGO Marvel Avengers done.

Edit: Oooh, new poll! Well, I'm going to not vote for now as I have enough in both past and future themes, and that third one probably should not be an issue either. Plus, I doubt I'm going to do much gaming in July/August anyway, at least PlayStation gaming - yay, I can now just sit outside in the sun with my Switch!

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

No change to my stats really as I didn't compete what I had set out to do as got roped into playing the uncharted MP again and it's literally sucked away all my game time this month. 

As as it's a fresh month, I'm going to finish off tales of the borderlands and finally complete and maybe even plat FF15 :D 

As long as I stay away from the MP I should be fine haha! 

• Like 1