[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

51 minutes ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Also had a question about the bonus categories. Do they have to be filled by the games we play for the main theme or any game we play period? Just wondering for the future.

They have to meet the monthly theme. If you look under the "About the themes and challenges" banner in the main post, you can see the rule :) 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 10:52 AM, xFalionx said:

Honestly, I've been in the same financial situation a lot longer than I've been a part of this community so it's not really something new. It's more that some of the circumstances around that situation have improved. It's just that recently more and more of my electronics have been dying of natural causes, after being used for years without being replaced. My most recent loss was the laser of my PS3, which died on me while I was in the middle of finishing up AC3. I then tried to tried to start AC4, just to experience the story before I'd never be able to within the next couple years but it wouldn't handle the cutscenes after the second sequence anymore. Repairing the laser would cost as much as just getting another used PS3, so now I'm down to digital games only. <_<

Anyways, seems like you and Abby are pretty busy as well, so good luck with that. :)

Ah, yeah... running into a bunch of failing electronics at once certainly doesn't help. Don't suppose one of those "for parts" busted systems that pop up on ebay and the like would be better?

Thanks. She's pretty busy with her job for now and my health's been bleh.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

I'm glad to help with this event. It's my favourite event on this site.

Glad you're enjoying it! You've certainly been helpful.

4 hours ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Completed Alpha Protocol as my backpacking adventure which also fulfills the hard mode requirement because I did missions in Moscow, Taipei, Rome, an undisclosed location in the Middle East and a secret government facility most likely in America. I also started the game last year so it fits that bonus category. 

Also had a question about the bonus categories. Do they have to be filled by the games we play for the main theme or any game we play period? Just wondering for the future.

Updated you, and got you down for the bonus. Did you enjoy the game?

Just to confirm, eigen-space's reply is correct.

Completed Syberia myself, and thanks for the reply in the other thread @eigen-space ! Decided to give it a try and got through it fine. Going to have to squeeze in the other one sometime. :)

Oh yeah, Alpha Protocol is a great game. I had previously played it to 100% on 360 before I switched fully from achievements to trophies and with it being an ultra rare platinum I knew I needed it. The year long break was after playing it the first run and then moving on to something else and forgetting to go back till Toogie’s Camp Wannalottaplat made me think of it again. It also just happened to work for this theme so what great luck right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Ah, yeah... running into a bunch of failing electronics at once certainly doesn't help. Don't suppose one of those "for parts" busted systems that pop up on ebay and the like would be better?

Hmm, I didn’t even think of that but I think that’s a bit too sketchy for me. I don’t know if I would be able to replace the drive myself and when I’m literally buying a broken console that isn’t even turning on anymore, there is a very real risk of the drive of that console also being broken. 

While I haven’t seen any listings, I can imagine those going for more than 20€. Add to that, that I’d likely be able to still sell my PS3 for maybe 40€-50€ since it‘s still working perfectly fine, just can‘t read discs anymore, and buy a working ps3 off eBay for 80€ or less and just shove in my 500GB HDD again. In the end it‘s too much of a gamble for me, so I‘ll just have to wait until I have enough money spare. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 0:02 PM, MonthlyMadnessTC said:

Participants are free to choose 2 monthly themes to skip whenever they like to. In those months ranks can also be awarded by completing games that don't fit the theme of that month, but will be marked accordingly

I noticed this in the rules. I skipped May, but completed Batman: The Enemy Within. So does this rule apply? If so, I don't see a marking for it.

Also, I don't think I have a game that fits with the July theme, but I am not skipping it. Does that mean I'll be awarded a :bronze: for this month?

Edited by ShogunCroCop

1 hour ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I noticed this in the rules. I skipped May, but completed Batman: The Enemy Within. So does this rule apply? If so, I don't see a marking for it.

Also, I don't think I have a game that fits with the July theme, but I am not skipping it. Does that mean I'll be awarded a :bronze: for this month?

The skips work as a replacement. Whenever you can't complete a game that fits the month's theme you can use any other game you finished that month.

In your case for May you only got the plat in Batman. You are allowed to use that game for May if you want but have to say it in the thread. If you do that you will have one skip left.

If you decide to not use a skip you will stay at the :bronze: ranking for that month like you plan to do for July. But as I said you can use any game with a skip if you happen to finish any this month.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

The skips work as a replacement. Whenever you can't complete a game that fits the month's theme you can use any other game you finished that month.

In your case for May you only got the plat in Batman. You are allowed to use that game for May if you want but have to say it in the thread. If you do that you will have one skip left.

If you decide to not use a skip you will stay at the :bronze: ranking for that month like you plan to do for July. But as I said you can use any game with a skip if you happen to finish any this month.

Thanks for the clarification.

10 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

@MarkusT1992, @ShogunCroCop did mention he was using his skip back in May but didn't indicate the skip game to list. So he is -1 skip for May already without a game in the slot. Whoever is managing this now can add his Batman game to May without reducing his skips.

I see. I wasn't looking at his stats.

Let's just mention @SyIaris and @Dessane to fix this.

• Like 1

@ShogunCroCop Got it fixed, sorry about that.

I'm a bit confused, could have sworn that was where I put a "probable skip" or something in May's line when you first mentioned it ahead of the month. Not spotting anything like that at all with a quick skim...

I wasn't here at all for May, so I'm not sure what happened.  :dunno:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

@ShogunCroCop Got it fixed, sorry about that.

I'm a bit confused, could have sworn that was where I put a "probable skip" or something in May's line when you first mentioned it ahead of the month. Not spotting anything like that at all with a quick skim...

I wasn't here at all for May, so I'm not sure what happened.  :dunno:

No worries. All is good. I wasn’t sure myself.

3 hours ago, eigen-space said:

@MarkusT1992, @ShogunCroCop did mention he was using his skip back in May but didn't indicate the skip game to list. So he is -1 skip for May already without a game in the slot. Whoever is managing this now can add his Batman game to May without reducing his skips.

I understand now. I didn’t give a skip game for May because I didn’t know I had to. But thanks for the clarification. I guess I need to read the rules better lol

Question about the potential theme for next month...

By profit system, do you just mean that there has to be a way to get money in the game, or is it more complex than that? And does the 5mil for the HC have to be tied to a trophy, or will it just be based on the honor system?

Edited by eigen-space

45 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

Question about the potential theme for next month...

By profit system, do you just mean that there has to be a way to get money in the game, or is it more complex than that? And does the 5mil for the HC have to be tied to a trophy, or will it just be based on the honor system?

As far as I understand it I would say it means the game must have a way to earn money through work or business.

Some examples of what I think would work are:

Assassins's Creed Brotherhood/Revelations plus some more

Saint's Row 3/4

Grand Theft Auto (Probably anyone)

Any business simulation game

And probably many more.

The first two are games you get money over time for renovating things, the other two are more the active aproach.

• Like 1

I just had a thought! Would Tales of Xillia 2 count as well? In the game, you have to earn money to pay off a ridiculous debt.

Also, I'm nowhere near in completing Gravity Rush 2 for the month. My plan is to play and plat it this week. I do have a back-up, so it isn't too much of a big deal.

Edited by Edunstar84

20 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

I just had a thought! Would Tales of Xillia 2 count as well? In the game, you have to earn money to pay off a ridiculous debt.

If @MarkusT1992 is right about his views of a profit system, I'm not sure that ToX2 would count... though I wish it would so I would have motivation to finish it if this category is picked xD

The difference is that you're just gaining money from fighting things or selling things along the way.... not actually implementing some sort of business that generates profits... though maybe just being able to sell inventory or complete tasks for money would work as a profit system (I hope... Ni No Kuni 2 is probably the only game I can recall playing where there was some sort of "business profits" aspect).

2 hours ago, eigen-space said:

If @MarkusT1992 is right about his views of a profit system, I'm not sure that ToX2 would count... though I wish it would so I would have motivation to finish it if this category is picked xD

The difference is that you're just gaining money from fighting things or selling things along the way.... not actually implementing some sort of business that generates profits... though maybe just being able to sell inventory or complete tasks for money would work as a profit system (I hope... Ni No Kuni 2 is probably the only game I can recall playing where there was some sort of "business profits" aspect).

I don't think I have many options if either of the themes won. Most of my games don't have a money or farming element. I mean I have Stardew Valley, but I'd rather not touch it yet. I might have to use a skip - not sure if I have 1 left.

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

I don't think I have many options if either of the themes won. Most of my games don't have a money or farming element. I mean I have Stardew Valley, but I'd rather not touch it yet. I might have to use a skip - not sure if I have 1 left.

Looks to me that you have one skip left for the year mate :) 

• Like 1

I'd think it would need to be something more than the "loot gold/sell loot for gold" sort of setup, just because it seems to be in the majority of games that have a money system in the first place. That could be biased, though - I heavily favor RPGs and action/adventure, so it could just be prevalent there. It's pretty open to discussion leading in.

Think Stardew Valley might be about my only choice, too... but I'm sitting on that until the multiplayer update comes out.

55 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

I need to use a skip for July - Backpacking.  I don't see me playing any games this next week that will fit the theme.  Thanks!

Got you down for a skip using L.A. Noire. :)

38 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

I'd think it would need to be something more than the "loot gold/sell loot for gold" sort of setup, just because it seems to be in the majority of games that have a money system in the first place. That could be biased, though - I heavily favor RPGs and action/adventure, so it could just be prevalent there. It's pretty open to discussion leading in.

I play a lot of RPGs too and thought the same thing, but when I went through my game list, nearly half of my games didn't have a money system (43 of 90) and there were a couple more that I really couldn't remember if there was a money system xD

Don't know if that changes how you view it, but just wanted to throw it out there. If selling loot or taking quests to gain money would count, then I'd prefer to pick this category. If it doesn't, I'll be voting for the farmer category as I definitely have a game or two that fits there.

4 hours ago, eigen-space said:

I play a lot of RPGs too and thought the same thing, but when I went through my game list, nearly half of my games didn't have a money system (43 of 90) and there were a couple more that I really couldn't remember if there was a money system xD

Don't know if that changes how you view it, but just wanted to throw it out there. If selling loot or taking quests to gain money would count, then I'd prefer to pick this category. If it doesn't, I'll be voting for the farmer category as I definitely have a game or two that fits there.

Gotta love RPGs. I really need to take a break from forum events and actually play some of my PS stash...

Probably need to look into it a bit more and have some others chime in. Adventure/point & click/whatever games generally don't have a money system at all, but that's the main exception that comes to mind.

Ah, and just to toss one potential farming game out for consideration, you can grow vegetables and stuff in Minecraft. Portal Knights has some of that as well.

If that category wins, I'm asking my friend for suggestions; she can probably rattle off a ton in a heartbeat.