[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

I think I should try and update this as I have been absent for a while.

For October, I completed the story for Battle Chasers: Nightwar which has Stealth as a healthy element both for enemies and for the protagonists.

Not much else happened in October (very quiet month).

November, I played Tomb Raider: Definitive Editon, Adam's Venture Origins and Noir Chronicles: City of Crime. I only got one trophy in Tomb Raider which is unrelated to the story, played 30 minutes of Adam's Venture Origins and Noir Chronicles is a new IP but the 25th Artifex Mundi type game. So, probably nothing this month.

And now some stats in anticipation of the end of the year.

Stats at the start of 2018:

Platinum trophies: 83

100% completed: 70

Completion: 52.25%

Stat changes during the year:

Platinum trophies: +53

100% completed: +32

Completion: +4.91%

• Like 1

Sorry for being so slow this month, guys. Came down with a nasty bout of the flu and it knocked me out for about a week. Still pretty out of it, I'll come back for better replies.

Glad the poll wasn't a close one, at least.

Summing up updates in case of mistakes - some impressive progress!

@starcrunch061

King's Quest: gold star, hardcore, over a year

Doodle Devil: gold star, 4 games in a month

@Kevvik

Life is Strange: Before the Storm: platinum

@eigen-space

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn: gold star, other event, 4 games in a month, DLC

@MarkusT1992

stats updated

@Yomako01

Final Fantasy VI - gold, other event, retro

@ShogunCroCop

Have you marked as wanting to use one, but it'll be blank until you have a game done.

@Fitzquaid

Detroit: Become Human: platinum, hardcore

@Psy-Tychist

(October) Battle Chasers: Nightwar: silver

all stats should be updated too.

• Like 1

Finished up what might be my last game for this year of Monthly Madness: Walden, a game.

As I wrote a few posts up, this game has you playing as Henry David Thoreau living in the woods for at least 1 year, in which the seasons change. Being that it takes place in the NE United States, this game definitely has snow during the winter months.
I'd say that snow is a central element in this game as well because the presence of it actually affects how you can play the game (certain animals won't appear during blizzards, you aren't able to fish when there's snow/ice, you can't harvest your crops, your shelter deteriorates more rapidly, etc) rather than just being a scenery element.

Here's the categories it belongs to: Minor Theme, HC Requirement, Other Event (12 Days of Trophies), and Wouldn't Have Played Soon Otherwise (have had my eye on it since May, but only purchased it because it was on sale and didn't have a game with snow in it for this event)

Here's the platinum trophy image:
1S2dd334.png

I'll wait until the end of the month to post my stats as I still plan on playing a couple more games... just don't think I have any others with snow in them :P

• Like 1

Finished up my game for this month. Fallout 3. Specifically because of the Operation Anchorage dlc. That's nothing but snow and blood. Finished the thing 100% as well qualifying this game for the "complete all available dlc" challenge and completing each challenge at least once. I'll post stats at the end of the month as I still have a few games to finish before 2019.

Hope you do this again next year. Having only joined in half way through I really liked this once a month challenge thing and would love to try it over a full year.

• Like 1

According to the poll there are quite a few people who want to continue this event next year.

Unfortunately @SyIaris can't do another year. So I decided to take over the event and after figuring some stuff out the new thread is finally live.

If you want to join, head over to the new thread and post you want in with your stats. Also please vote for the first theme of 2019. We only have like 2 weeks left.

• Like 3

I've been pretty slack and haven't platted games for the themes recently but had a lot of fun participating throughout the year, it's been cool seeing all the different plats people have been getting.

Thanks to everyone running the event hopefully I can find some time to try again next year!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everything from my last post should be updated. Good work, and a nice selection of games!

On 12/10/2018 at 3:17 PM, DoctorDrPepper said:

Finished up my game for this month. Fallout 3. Specifically because of the Operation Anchorage dlc. That's nothing but snow and blood. Finished the thing 100% as well qualifying this game for the "complete all available dlc" challenge and completing each challenge at least once. I'll post stats at the end of the month as I still have a few games to finish before 2019.

Hope you do this again next year. Having only joined in half way through I really liked this once a month challenge thing and would love to try it over a full year.

Impressive. Did you run into many glitches? I've been afraid to start it.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:26 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Come on - this is your chance to play the completely mediocre I am Setsuna, people!

Anyway, I got the plat in Fernz Gate. Snow and ice in one of the worlds (I know - it's shocking that an RPG has snow!). Nothing hardcore, though.

Never heard of Fernz, but the banner looks nice. How was it?

1 hour ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Yes, several. It hard locked on me no less than 20 times.

Ouch. Sorry you had to deal with that, full system resets rack up the frustration quick... impressive that you toughed it out and got it done despite that.

Bethesda's not known for stability. Shame, because most of their games are enjoyable otherwise.

I finished a lot of games this month but only one that fits the theme, which is Until Dawn.

Until Dawn:

• Another event: Gaming by Numbers

The other games I completed were:

• Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood
  • Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
  • Cosmic Star Heroine
  • Thomas was Alone

The only one you could argue about for this event is Zero Escape. There is at least one puzzle that has something to do with ice. It's not really snow thought and only a very little part, so I wouldn't count it.

• Like 1

I'm going to close down my stats for the year.

Completed for theme: Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (one fully snow covered level so main theme, no HC)

Other games completed that don't apply:

Forma.8

Hitman: Absolution

Headlander

December stats

Plats: +4

100%: NC

Completion rate: +1.74%

Event stats

Plats: 142 (+39 for the event)

100%: 48 (+4 for the event)

Completion rate: 82.13% (+3.12% for the event)

Thanks to all our moderating staff for the great work this year. It can't be easy running something this big so a big high five from all of us out here. Thanks as well to all the other participants who's game playing enjoyment has put new games on my radar and made me jealous of all the time you all have for gaming.

I also got got my completion rate higher than its been in several years, even with 3 KYC events during the year.  Great getting into games that might otherwise still be sitting in my backlog.

So thanks again to everyone involved. Have a great new year and here's looking forward to the 2019 iteration of this event!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, SyIaris said:

Never heard of Fernz, but the banner looks nice. How was it?

Late reply,  but I didn't like it at first, but grew to like it quite a bit at the end. Like most Kemco games, it moves fast, has a plain-jane story, and relatively pleasing 16-bit graphics. Worth a buy at discount if you enjoy SNES-style JRPGs.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:54 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Late reply,  but I didn't like it at first, but grew to like it quite a bit at the end. Like most Kemco games, it moves fast, has a plain-jane story, and relatively pleasing 16-bit graphics. Worth a buy at discount if you enjoy SNES-style JRPGs.

Thanks for your opinion!

Haven't tried any Kemco games yet, but turn-based JRPGs were about all I played for a while. Wouldn't mind picking up another.  :)