[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

I was thinking about the Hardcore requirement for (maybe) next month's theme. Shouldn't the minimum be higher? I think 3 games is too low. Maybe 5?

Split the difference and say 4?

Takes trilogies out of the equation and promotes larger series without being divisive.

I've been playing games this month (honest) so I have a couple of options to add to my listing.

I have played several games with at least a heavy Earth setting a one which doesn't seem to fit the HC requirements but in my opinion does:

Enigmatis: The Ghost of Maple Creek - has many areas in which you enter basements, underground vaults and catacombs to solve puzzles. This I have Platted and counts towards the THL.

Toren: This short game has themes of rebirth and resurrection (which would have fit a possible theme next month) but is also set entirely in an enclosed tower you have to climb and get older while doing so. The dream sequences involve solving image puzzles in caves, darkness and a desert. I have 100% completed this game this month.

Now for a contentious one. Nightmares from the Deep: A Cursed Heart seems like it would be based on the sea. The first chapter is based on a ship, but quickly transfers to a remote island full of caves, hidden passages and crypts throughout the rest of the game. This I have finished the story for and up to the admins to decide.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

I was thinking about the Hardcore requirement for (maybe) next month's theme. Shouldn't the minimum be higher? I think 3 games is too low. Maybe 5?

I thought about the same thing. 3 is too low. There are no series with one game, so it would mean only series with two games wouldn't count for the hardcore requirement. That would nake the HC much to easy.

I would also suggest 5. There're plenty of game series with enought games. GTA, Far Cry, Ratchet and Clank, Resident Evil, Batman and many more.

Five seems more reasonable to me, but I'm fine with any of the options; won't change what I plan to play. Not like lesser series can't count for the regular list. Need to wait and see what Abbey thinks, though.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a month with so little interpretation involved.

@Psy-Tychist

I'm super rusty on the Artifex Mundi games and have never heard of Toren, so I'm going to go poke around in some walkthroughs to check, unless someone else wants to weigh in. May take a bit, I'm a little busy.

Isn't Nightmares something like half underground, though? Water's obviously a bigger theme, but that seems pretty strong for earth too.

Congrats on finishing them! How was Toren? Looks rather pretty.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Five seems more reasonable to me, but I'm fine with any of the options; won't change what I plan to play. Not like lesser series can't count for the regular list. Need to wait and see what Abbey thinks, though.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a month with so little interpretation involved.

@Psy-Tychist

I'm super rusty on the Artifex Mundi games and have never heard of Toren, so I'm going to go poke around in some walkthroughs to check, unless someone else wants to weigh in. May take a bit, I'm a little busy.

Isn't Nightmares something like half underground, though? Water's obviously a bigger theme, but that seems pretty strong for earth too.

I played all three games mentioned here. The two hidden object games are hard to decide. As Psy-Tychist said they have underground scenes. I would count Ghosts of Maple Creek as the last part is in a cave which is important to the story.

Nightmares from the Deep is also set underground in several scenes, which are important to the story. I would count these two.

I wouldn't count Toren on the other hand. It's a long time since I played this game but all I can remember is the tower you climb. I can't remember any caves in this game. And a tower isn't earth for me.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

@Psy-Tychist

Hey everyone, sorry for only just reading this. Yeah I agree 5 does seem more of a challenge and it would be interesting to see what people play to meet it. I looking forward to next months theme, if it wins, as I've got a million games I could do for that haha:P

16 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Split the difference and say 4?

Takes trilogies out of the equation and promotes larger series without being divisive.

I've been playing games this month (honest) so I have a couple of options to add to my listing.

I have played several games with at least a heavy Earth setting a one which doesn't seem to fit the HC requirements but in my opinion does:

Enigmatis: The Ghost of Maple Creek - has many areas in which you enter basements, underground vaults and catacombs to solve puzzles. This I have Platted and counts towards the THL.

Toren: This short game has themes of rebirth and resurrection (which would have fit a possible theme next month) but is also set entirely in an enclosed tower you have to climb and get older while doing so. The dream sequences involve solving image puzzles in caves, darkness and a desert. I have 100% completed this game this month.

Now for a contentious one. Nightmares from the Deep: A Cursed Heart seems like it would be based on the sea. The first chapter is based on a ship, but quickly transfers to a remote island full of caves, hidden passages and crypts throughout the rest of the game. This I have finished the story for and up to the admins to decide.

Congrats on finishing your games for this month! It looks like you've been rather busy with all these games :) 

As @SyIaris says, we will look into the the ones she's said about and then update your stats afterwards :) I'd definitely agree that Enigmatis meets the hardcore requirement but I'm not sure about the other two as I haven't heard/played them before, but I'm sure they will be good :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Hey everyone, sorry for only just reading this. Yeah I agree 5 does seem more of a challenge and it would be interesting to see what people play to meet it. I looking forward to next months theme, if it wins, as I've got a million games I could do for that haha:P

I'm pretty sure it will win :P.

I'm planing to play either Ratchet and Clank (PS4) or GTA Vice City next month. Both are games I need to continue, especially Vice City as I can start San Andreas after finishing this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I played all three games mentioned here. The two hidden object games are hard to decide. As Psy-Tychist said they have underground scenes. I would count Ghosts of Maple Creek as the last part is in a cave which is important to the story.

Nightmares from the Deep is also set underground in several scenes, which are important to the story. I would count these two.

I wouldn't count Toren on the other hand. It's a long time since I played this game but all I can remember is the tower you climb. I can't remember any caves in this game. And a tower isn't earth for me.

Thanks for the input!

@Psy-Tychist

I'd say both Artifex Mundi games are good if you want to go back and finish up Nightmares from the Deep (takes about two hours, if memory serves?), but with Markus' reply and not seeing any caves skipping around in walkthrough videos, I'm not too sure about Toren.

• Like 1

STATS: (Will update this before every month)

Platinum (22)

100% (12)

Completion (86,36%)

Updated with the provided stats for May

Completed games that fit the monthly theme:

1. Arcade Game Series: Dig Dug
  • reason: you literally dig yourself in the earth

Completed games that fit the challenge ranks:

• tFiJcto.png Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month.
  • tFiJcto.png Complete a retro game.
  • tFiJcto.png Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event.
  • reasons: It fits the hardcore requirement because it's obviously an underground setting
  • It is a retro game, first released in 1982 
  • It counts toward a different PSNP event because I platted it for the Grand Trophy Hunting Olympics
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pixel-DRAGON- said:

Platinum (22)

100% (12)

Completion (86,36%)

• tFiJcto.png Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month.
  • reasons: It fits the hardcore requirement because it's obviously an underground setting
  • It counts toward a different PSNP event because I platted it for the Grand Trophy Hunting Olympics

Updated you, congrats on finishing this month and jumping into the challenges with three at once! :yay:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SyIaris said:

@Psy-Tychist

Toren is quite enjoyable if incredibly short.

Very interesting concept about Rebirth and strength of character. 

I finished the story in under 2 hours and got the remaining trophies in 20mins or so. It's more of a interactive story with mild puzzle elements that something like Zelda or Darksiders, but you get that mild vibe.

It was kind of a stretch, but the bits that are included are the dream section 'Abyss' and the dream section 'Reason'.

5 hours ago, Pixel-DRAGON- said:

Platinum (22)

100% (12)

Completion (86,36%)

Well done on finishing your games for this month! :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Decided to go for the Tales of Zestiria plat for next month's event. It's a pretty long game, so it's actually nice to get back in before June starts.

Anyone else planned their game already?

That's a pretty good choice for next months theme :) 

Well I'm going to aim for a birthday platinum, like last year, so I think I'll either do Skyrim, Persona 5 or The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt along with some smaller games.^_^ As you can see, I'm not very decisive when it comes to choosing games to play :D 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Toren is quite enjoyable if incredibly short.

Very interesting concept about Rebirth and strength of character. 

I finished the story in under 2 hours and got the remaining trophies in 20mins or so. It's more of a interactive story with mild puzzle elements that something like Zelda or Darksiders, but you get that mild vibe.

It was kind of a stretch, but the bits that are included are the dream section 'Abyss' and the dream section 'Reason'.

Nice, I'll keep it in mind if it pops up in a sale. Thanks!

Definitely short, then, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Good story can help a lot.

9 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Decided to go for the Tales of Zestiria plat for next month's event. It's a pretty long game, so it's actually nice to get back in before June starts.

Going for Deponia first just to make sure I'm on the board; going to be away for a little under a week next month. Thinking I'll get back to inFamous after that, maybe Ratchet & Clank 2.

Zestiria seems to have a pretty big divide in its fanbase. Look forward to hearing how you like it.  :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

As I mentioned before I'll go either with GTA Vice City or Ratchet and Clank (PS4)

I think I'll go with Vice City because of the retro challenge. Maybe I can finish both.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Well, seems like there were no more questions and both @RizzleAbbey12 and @SyIaris are doing a great job hosting the event. Thanks to you I can now leave to tend to my other affairs without regrets, so thank you for that. I also want to thank anyone who was wishing me well.

I guess you can add Type:Rider to my list for another gold rank since I managed to complete that game, but I'll be gone for a longer time now. 

Anyways, have fun and keep this thread a great place, you lot.

Thank you, we'll be sorry to see you go. Hope to see you back and doing better in the future.

Updated you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Well, seems like there were no more questions and both @RizzleAbbey12 and @SyIaris are doing a great job hosting the event. Thanks to you I can now leave to tend to my other affairs without regrets, so thank you for that. I also want to thank anyone who was wishing me well.

I guess you can add Type:Rider to my list for another gold rank since I managed to complete that game, but I'll be gone for a longer time now. 

Anyways, have fun and keep this thread a great place, you lot.

Thank you for the lovely words! :D I think I can speak for both of us when I say that we are really enjoying hosting the event. :) Good luck with your new endeavours and we will miss you!^_^

• Like 1

@SyIaris @RizzleAbbey12

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the HC requirement for the "series" theme that it should have at least five titles? If it's supposed to be part of a series already (as in at least two titles), three titles isn't that hardcore... I've been away from the site for about a week though, perhaps I missed something.

Also I might still get another completion this month but if there's any game I'll 100% in time for this event then it's Rain, and that one does not count for the theme. Next month is probably the series theme, I should at least be able to get through the story of God Of War: Ascension but I might take the theme as an opportunity to get another platinum in an Assassin's Creed game.

Note to all the events I'm in: you'll notice I will be a lot less active on the threads. Nothing dramatic, just need/want to spend more time on other stuff (like actual gaming, and planning my next holiday). I will keep doing events though.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

@SyIaris @RizzleAbbey12

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the HC requirement for the "series" theme that it should have at least five titles? If it's supposed to be part of a series already (as in at least two titles), three titles isn't that hardcore... I've been away from the site for about a week though, perhaps I missed something.

Also I might still get another completion this month but if there's any game I'll 100% in time for this event then it's Rain, and that one does not count for the theme. Next month is probably the series theme, I should at least be able to get through the story of God Of War: Ascension but I might take the theme as an opportunity to get another platinum in an Assassin's Creed game.

Note to all the events I'm in: you'll notice I will be a lot less active on the threads. Nothing dramatic, just need/want to spend more time on other stuff (like actual gaming, and planning my next holiday). I will keep doing events though.

Yeah the hardcore requirement for the series theme choice is meant to be five titles but I just haven't gotten round to changing it yet. :P I will do so later on today as I'm on my tablet now and it's not so good when editing the thread.

Good luck with finishing Rain and that's no problem, have fun sorting your holiday! :) If you don't mind me asking, do you have an idea as to where you'd like to go? :) 

46 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Yeah the hardcore requirement for the series theme choice is meant to be five titles but I just haven't gotten round to changing it yet. :P I will do so later on today as I'm on my tablet now and it's not so good when editing the thread.

Good luck with finishing Rain and that's no problem, have fun sorting your holiday! :) If you don't mind me asking, do you have an idea as to where you'd like to go? :) 

We've just had our first 'car' holiday this month, we went to the Côte d'Azur (or French Riviera, as it's often called in English). Thanks to having a dog now that we want to take with us on holidays, we won't do plane trips for a while. My wife had been asking for a camping holiday for years, which wasn't possible any of the years for a few different reasons (twice it was her previous job not allowing her to take a holiday in the high season because we don't have children, even though she has classes she needs to go to and needed the high season as well - guess they know now, as she switched jobs). So now, we'll finally go camping, and I know just the place... Tuscany, because I love Italy - especially Tuscany, Umbria and everything of Campania below Naples - and my wife has never been there, I took her to Rome last year as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

We've just had our first 'car' holiday this month, we went to the Côte d'Azur (or French Riviera, as it's often called in English). Thanks to having a dog now that we want to take with us on holidays, we won't do plane trips for a while. My wife had been asking for a camping holiday for years, which wasn't possible any of the years for a few different reasons (twice it was her previous job not allowing her to take a holiday in the high season because we don't have children, even though she has classes she needs to go to and needed the high season as well - guess they know now, as she switched jobs). So now, we'll finally go camping, and I know just the place... Tuscany, because I love Italy - especially Tuscany, Umbria and everything of Campania below Naples - and my wife has never been there, I took her to Rome last year as well.

That sounds lovely!^_^ I bet your both excited to go! :) I hope you both have a lovely time camping!:) I've heard that Tuscany is a beautiful place to go to.

• Like 1