[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

1 hour ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Hey:P

No need to apologise and oh gosh I hate it when that happens:facepalm: it's glad to hear you got it though:)

I understand about the grinding taking so long, I remember doing it on the Xbox One and there are hardly any players on it so the achievements were really tricky to get.

I've noted down your choice^_^

Congrats on your new platinum!:D How was the game?

Tales From the Borderlands is a pretty cool choice for the theme and you can have it for this month! I'd agree that it's definitely an earthy game because Pandora is just so baron and has a ton of wastelands in and around it. I've updated you now. 

What others games are you playing?^_^

Having never played Borderlands, I highly enjoyed it. Now I feel like I should go back and Olay the Borderlands games. I am also working on Dishonored and The Bunker. Dishonored has an underground section, and obviously The Bunker fits.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

Having never played Borderlands, I highly enjoyed it. Now I feel like I should go back and Olay the Borderlands games. I am also working on Dishonored and The Bunker. Dishonored has an underground section, and obviously The Bunker fits.

That's good!:D I went from never playing a Borderlands game to playing it nonstop for about a month and a half so I'd have a lot of time spare before starting it.^_^ It's a pretty amazing game to play and it has plenty of funny moments. Oh man I so want to play The Bunker but I'm waiting for it to go on sale again:) Have fun with those games.

Hey folks, sorry I haven't been around much - I started a new job at the beginning of the month, so everything else fell by the wayside for a while.

@xFalionx - good luck, hope everything works out well for you.  @SyIaris (I had no idea that was spelled with an 'i' and not an 'L'!) and @RizzleAbbey12 - thank you for continuing the thread, if there's anything that you need volunteers to help with, let me know.

Right, so, progress with the Earth theme.  I've made it a bit further in Divinity: Original Sin, which as I mentioned in the old thread is very elementally themed.  Earth magic (geomancy) lets you drop boulders on people, cause earthquakes, summon wolves and spiders, and throw poison darts around.  My characters don't use it much overall, but that summoned spider has been invaluable since Level 1, fight 1.

The game is also very underground-heavy; whether you're looking for wizards' caves, buried tombs, underground passageways, coves full of undead pirates, sprawling mines, elemental caves, or troll's lairs full of gold, Divinity has got it covered. 

In other words, pretty sure it qualifies for the theme - the question is just whether I can manage to finish it this month...

For June, I'll throw a second vote behind the theme of Rebirth / Resurrection, just because it sounds interesting.  I might regret that if it wins and I have to find a suitable game.

Edited by Fitzquaid
Forgot to vote for a theme...
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fitzquaid said:

Hey folks, sorry I haven't been around much - I started a new job at the beginning of the month, so everything else fell by the wayside for a while.

@xFalionx - good luck, hope everything works out well for you.  @SyIaris (I had no idea that was spelled with an 'i' and not an 'L'!) and @RizzleAbbey12 - thank you for continuing the thread, if there's anything that you need volunteers to help with, let me know.

Right, so, progress with the Earth theme.  I've made it a bit further in Divinity: Original Sin, which as I mentioned in the old thread is very elementally themed.  Earth magic (geomancy) lets you drop boulders on people, cause earthquakes, summon wolves and spiders, and throw poison darts around.  My characters don't use it much overall, but that summoned spider has been invaluable since Level 1, fight 1.

The game is also very underground-heavy; whether you're looking for wizards' caves, buried tombs, underground passageways, coves full of undead pirates, sprawling mines, elemental caves, or troll's lairs full of gold, Divinity has got it covered. 

In other words, pretty sure it qualifies for the theme - the question is just whether I can manage to finish it this month...

For June, I'll throw a second vote behind the theme of Rebirth / Resurrection, just because it sounds interesting.  I might regret that if it wins and I have to find a suitable game.

Hey Fitzquaid, congrats on getting a new job! I hope your enjoying it:D

Divinity: Original Sin sounds like a pretty interesting game, what do you think of it so far? I'd say that definitely counts for the Earth theme and the hardcore challenge as well so well done!^_^ I hope you manage to finish it in time.

I've noted down your suggestion/vote. It seems like that theme idea is proving to be very popular^_^

If someone could add a gold star for me... I 100%ed Doodle God. It's about combining (and thus creating) elements, so I guessed it would count for the event. "Earth" is (naturally) even a starting element, and later on you can create other earth-like elements as well, like sand and stone and mud. You can even create a cave ("underground", with a cave entrance as an icon) but I wouldn't add it to the hardcore requirements just for that.

I've deleted Doodle Kingdom and Doodle Devil from my PS3 as well as Doodle God. It was such a bad game... I liked a game like this on my phone but the interface and controls on PS3 were horrible. I got the trilogy when it was free on PS3 (first two weeks or so after release). I think I paid too much for it.

Also, that means I'm at +5 on 100% games now. My platinum stat hasn't been updated but that's also at +5, since Horizon Zero Dawn. Current completion percentage change: +0,65% to a current percentage of 51,33%.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:53 AM, RizzleAbbey12 said:

So just to remind everyone that the time for giving suggestions for June's theme is nearly over. For the participants who haven't suggested a theme for June but would like too, then you have until Monday 15th May so that's two days away. On the 15th all the suggestions will be entered into a tool such as Random.org which will reveal the four options that you can all vote for June's theme.

@MortalRikku, @Kent10201, @Fitzquaid, @ShogunCroCop, @blxckenigma, @Komrade_Konrad, @NekoSama87, @Psy-Tychist, @Pixel-DRAGON-, @Enma8910, @Kevvik, @cerafinn, @DrumKing294

If any of you have already given a suggestion, then I'm sorry as its probably gotten lost in the changing of threads.^_^

Thanks for the reminder!  I'll go with the same suggestion I gave last time which was "Games with awesome soundtracks."  Obviously a very broad theme and subject to personal taste, but I think a hardcore requirement could be something like "The audio must factor heavily into the gameplay.  Ex. Crypt of the Necrodancer."

I'll give a proper update later in the month when I have more time and have a final tally, but for now I can say that I've finished  the 100% for Type:Rider which I think other people have also used for the gold trophy.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

If someone could add a gold star for me... I 100%ed Doodle God. It's about combining (and thus creating) elements, so I guessed it would count for the event. "Earth" is (naturally) even a starting element, and later on you can create other earth-like elements as well, like sand and stone and mud. You can even create a cave ("underground", with a cave entrance as an icon) but I wouldn't add it to the hardcore requirements just for that.

I've deleted Doodle Kingdom and Doodle Devil from my PS3 as well as Doodle God. It was such a bad game... I liked a game like this on my phone but the interface and controls on PS3 were horrible. I got the trilogy when it was free on PS3 (first two weeks or so after release). I think I paid too much for it.

Also, that means I'm at +5 on 100% games now. My platinum stat hasn't been updated but that's also at +5, since Horizon Zero Dawn. Current completion percentage change: +0,65% to a current percentage of 51,33%.

I've updated your stats and congrats on your latest 100% completed game.^_^ I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.

48 minutes ago, Komrade_Konrad said:

Thanks for the reminder!  I'll go with the same suggestion I gave last time which was "Games with awesome soundtracks."  Obviously a very broad theme and subject to personal taste, but I think a hardcore requirement could be something like "The audio must factor heavily into the gameplay.  Ex. Crypt of the Necrodancer."

I'll give a proper update later in the month when I have more time and have a final tally, but for now I can say that I've finished  the 100% for Type:Rider which I think other people have also used for the gold trophy.

Your welcome :) I've noted down your suggestion/vote and I think that's a good hardcore requirement. I can think of a few games where audio features quite heavily in a game as well so I'll note that down as well. I've updated your stats as well so congrats on your latest 100% completed game.

Hello everyone! 

All of the suggestions were entered into a list randomiser on Random.org and the results have now been posted in the poll at the top of the thread. :) 

Make sure you vote for which one you would like to become June's theme and thank you for all the suggestions.^_^

42 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Hello everyone! 

All of the suggestions were entered into a list randomiser on Random.org and the results have now been posted in the poll at the top of the thread. :) 

Make sure you vote for which one you would like to become June's theme and thank you for all the suggestions.^_^

Well, with the cheapo theme I'd have a lot of PS+ games I could choose for the non-hardcore but I'm tackling that already so I won't choose that one. I don't think I really have all that many resurrection games

Spoiler

Unless your interpretation of Everybody's Gone To The Rapture includes rebirth/resurrection

so I won't choose that either.

With franchise games, I guess I could finally continue on Tropico 5, or I could start Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell, or I could go for the platinum in one of the remaining Assassin's Creed games.

With one word titles, I could finally play Fez again.

Hmmmm.... Guess I'll pick franchises for 500, Trebek!

• Like 1

Personal Update: I finished PixelJunk Shooter, granting me a Golden Star for May (this game happens almost entirely on an underground setting), a Golden Star on Hardcore Challenge (as said before) and a Golden Star on "Another PSNP Event" Challenge (this game was also listed on Billy's WTHITSDH Backlog Event).

Probably I will not complete any other game for May's theme.

• Like 1

Great choices for June, but I don't think I'll go for El Cheapo. I have a backlog full of games I bought over the years, and I don't remember how much they were. Will go for games in a franchise. Let's see I have inFAMOUS, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Tales of Zestiria/Xillia 2, Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, Uncharted 2...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoaoQuique said:

Personal Update: I finished PixelJunk Shooter, granting me a Golden Star for May (this game happens almost entirely on an underground setting), a Golden Star on Hardcore Challenge (as said before) and a Golden Star on "Another PSNP Event" Challenge (this game was also listed on Billy's WTHITSDH Backlog Event).

Probably I will not complete any other game for May's theme.

Updated. Nice work on getting that done.  :yay:

I got the :platinum: for Middle-Earth: Shadow of Morder - Game of the Year Edition (That's a long name :rolleyes:)

The game has some missions taking place in caves which qualifies this for the hardcore requiremnt. It's also a game for another event, namely Billys what the hell is that still doing there backlog event and a game I wouldn't have played if not for the event.

That means it's a platinum rating and three platinum stars for the mentioned challenges.

Now going to the DLC. Maybe I can get the DLC challenge done. Afterwards I might try to plat The Legend of Korra before the end of the month.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I got the :platinum: for Middle-Earth: Shadow of Morder - Game of the Year Edition (That's a long name :rolleyes:)

The game has some missions taking place in caves which qualifies this for the hardcore requiremnt. It's also a game for another event, namely Billys what the hell is that still doing there backlog event and a game I wouldn't have played if not for the event.

That means it's a platinum rating and three platinum stars for the mentioned challenges.

Now going to the DLC. Maybe I can get the DLC challenge done. Afterwards I might try to plat The Legend of Korra before the end of the month.

Congrats on platting Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor:yay: I've updated your stats and updated your images^_^ I should really go back to Shadow of Mordor but I just couldn't get into it. But still I'll probably give it another go.

Good Luck with the DLC!:) 

Edited by RizzleAbbey12

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

Just thought about something...

If next month's theme becomes "games as part of a franchise"... How do the old Telltale series factor into this?

For instance, I'm missing five out of twelve trophies in one episode of Back To The Future... which has five episodes total and all episodes back then counted as separate games. If I would play through that, would it count for the hardcore requirement? Or would it not count at all because there's just one season of episodes?

Personally I 100%ed the Sam&Max seasons as well as Tales Of Monkey Island and Jurassic Park (which only has four episodes so it would not count for the hardcore requirement anyway) and the BTTF episode is the one game I have remaining that counts this way, but the answer to this might be important to several other gamers.

Also, how exactly would "franchise" be counted? Is it as games in a series, or is it as a franchise as a whole - for instance, there have been many different Star Wars games so would they all count as part of a big franchise? Or would they have sub-franchises? (for instance Star Wars Racer Revenge being the second game in the podracer subset and Super Star Wars being the first game in the SNES movie trilogy platformer subset)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

Just thought about something...

If next month's theme becomes "games as part of a franchise"... How do the old Telltale series factor into this?

For instance, I'm missing five out of twelve trophies in one episode of Back To The Future... which has five episodes total and all episodes back then counted as separate games. If I would play through that, would it count for the hardcore requirement? Or would it not count at all because there's just one season of episodes?

Personally I 100%ed the Sam&Max seasons as well as Tales Of Monkey Island and Jurassic Park (which only has four episodes so it would not count for the hardcore requirement anyway) and the BTTF episode is the one game I have remaining that counts this way, but the answer to this might be important to several other gamers.

Also, how exactly would "franchise" be counted? Is it as games in a series, or is it as a franchise as a whole - for instance, there have been many different Star Wars games so would they all count as part of a big franchise? Or would they have sub-franchises? (for instance Star Wars Racer Revenge being the second game in the podracer subset and Super Star Wars being the first game in the SNES movie trilogy platformer subset)

That's a good point you bring up. I would say that Telltale games would factor into the theme but I'd have to see if @SyIaris agrees first just to make sure. And I would also agree that the Back to the Future episodes would count for the hardcore requirement as Telltale has far more than three games in their franchise. 

Well I would say that it could be both in a series, for example the Uncharted or Witcher series as they could be described as a franchise and a series, and in one whole franchise, so for instance like you said about the Star Wars. I think if we start going into sub-franchises and things like that, it could start to become confusing. But you do bring up some good points about it so I'll have a chat with SyIaris and see what we can sort out.

6 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

That's a good point you bring up. I would say that Telltale games would factor into the theme but I'd have to see if @SyIaris agrees first just to make sure. And I would also agree that the Back to the Future episodes would count for the hardcore requirement as Telltale has far more than three games in their franchise. 

Well I would say that it could be both in a series, for example the Uncharted or Witcher series as they could be described as a franchise and a series, and in one whole franchise, so for instance like you said about the Star Wars. I think if we start going into sub-franchises and things like that, it could start to become confusing. But you do bring up some good points about it so I'll have a chat with SyIaris and see what we can sort out.

Personally I'd say that "games by Telltale" would not count as a franchise because it's all different games based on different properties, even though they all work about the same it's not the same franchise. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are also not the same franchise even though they're made by the same studio.

Well, I'm only calling it sub-franchises because it seemed like the best way to differentiate between everything.

Perhaps a good example:

South Park: The Stick Of Truth. Is it part of the South Park franchise that started with the three N64 South Park games, or did Stick Of Truth start a "new" franchise in which Fractured But Whole is the second title?

It's a toughie for sure. The main question is probably: do you think spin-offs are part of the main franchise? Do all Star Wars games count as one franchise, do all South Park games? Are the Assassin's Creed: Chronicles part of the main Assassin's Creed franchise? Is the Jak racing game part of the main Jak & Daxter franchise?

@BillyHorrible @RizzleAbbey12

I'd lean towards going by the original post:

Episodic titles without a platinum trophy will be treated specially:

• DDBDyVa.png - Silver: Awarded for finishing every episode on your profile.
  • 9lZg3hS.png - Gold: Awarded for 100% completing every episode on your profile.
  • Y04dodB.png - Platinum: Awarded for 100% completing every episode of the title.

Which I'm pretty sure was added specifically because of games like Back to the Future and Tales of Monkey Island. I'd say those count as one entry, and go more by series than publisher - so while that would mean BttF falls short, I'd say there are five different Walking Dead games despite one being completely different from the others.

In the same vein, I'd just keep it lumped together by series. Fallout Shelter is a Fallout Game, Elder Scrolls Online is an Elder Scrolls game if you're enough of a masochist to plat it, Mario and Star Wars are a ridiculous bonanza of titles, etc.

That's personal opinion, though, and I'm not going to cling to it.  :dunno:

DLC + Standalone games seem a bit tricky to me too. Assassin's Creed has Freedom Cry alone and part of Black Flag, and... I thought The Last of Us had something similar, but I can't find it in the trophy lists. :huh:

Not sure if there are other examples, so maybe it isn't a big deal.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

@BillyHorrible @RizzleAbbey12

Which I'm pretty sure was added specifically because of games like Back to the Future and Tales of Monkey Island. I'd say those count as one entry, and go more by series than publisher - so while that would mean BttF falls short, I'd say there are five different Walking Dead games despite one being completely different from the others.

In the same vein, I'd just keep it lumped together by series. Fallout Shelter is a Fallout Game, Elder Scrolls Online is an Elder Scrolls game if you're enough of a masochist to plat it, Mario and Star Wars are a ridiculous bonanza of titles, etc.

That's personal opinion, though, and I'm not going to cling to it.  :dunno:

Good points, gut feeling says I agree with you.

55 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

DLC + Standalone games seem a bit tricky to me too. Assassin's Creed has Freedom Cry alone and part of Black Flag, and... I thought The Last of Us had something similar, but I can't find it in the trophy lists. :huh:

Not sure if there are other examples, so maybe it isn't a big deal.

TLOU standalone redirects to the main game's trophy list.

Assassin's Creed has more than enough main titles so I'd say if someone wants to do the Freedom Cry standalone, it should count.

TLOU can be counted as part of a franchise since the sequel is in development.

Only other example I can think of is Shovel Knight which will get its DLC campaigns as standalones but there will only be four campaigns so it will never count for hardcore anyway. Personally, I'd make it count for the franchise theme since how it is set up (and the DLC are about as long as the main game).

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

Episodic titles without a platinum trophy will be treated specially:

• DDBDyVa.png - Silver: Awarded for finishing every episode on your profile.
  • 9lZg3hS.png - Gold: Awarded for 100% completing every episode on your profile.
  • Y04dodB.png - Platinum: Awarded for 100% completing every episode of the title.

I'm a bit confused by this: Wouldn't getting 100% on every episode in the title be the same as getting 100% of every episode on your profile? Or is there something I am missing here?

On 5/14/2017 at 11:07 AM, Fitzquaid said:

Hope your new job is going well!

The L was taken, I'd already tried a number of different usernames, and I hate having numbers. In retrospect, it was stupid, but I didn't think I'd be doing much other than quiet single-player.  :facepalm:

52 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Good points, gut feeling says I agree with you.

TLOU standalone redirects to the main game's trophy list.

Assassin's Creed has more than enough main titles so I'd say if someone wants to do the Freedom Cry standalone, it should count.

TLOU can be counted as part of a franchise since the sequel is in development.

Only other example I can think of is Shovel Knight which will get its DLC campaigns as standalones but there will only be four campaigns so it will never count for hardcore anyway. Personally, I'd make it count for the franchise theme since how it is set up (and the DLC are about as long as the main game).

Ah, that would explain why. That seems a bit odd, but I guess Uncharted 3 does the same with its multiplayer. Sounds reasonable to me.

22 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

I'm a bit confused by this: Wouldn't getting 100% on every episode in the title be the same as getting 100% of every episode on your profile? Or is there something I am missing here?

Took a bit of digging in the old thread - wasn't entirely sure myself:

Since I have a pretty adjustable grade system, I'll make this a little unconventional. Completing all episodes will net you a platinum rank despite the games not rewarding a platinum trophy, if you don't own all of them, 100% completing all episodes you have on your profile will net you a gold rank and lastly, playing through all episodes you have on your profile without completing all of the trophies will net you a silver rank. 

I think treating the old Telltale games like that should be pretty fair, since newer ones have a plat and usually only require you to play all episodes to earn it.

So probably amounts to silver or platinum for most people.

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Personally I'd say that "games by Telltale" would not count as a franchise because it's all different games based on different properties, even though they all work about the same it's not the same franchise. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are also not the same franchise even though they're made by the same studio.

Well, I'm only calling it sub-franchises because it seemed like the best way to differentiate between everything.

Perhaps a good example:

South Park: The Stick Of Truth. Is it part of the South Park franchise that started with the three N64 South Park games, or did Stick Of Truth start a "new" franchise in which Fractured But Whole is the second title?

It's a toughie for sure. The main question is probably: do you think spin-offs are part of the main franchise? Do all Star Wars games count as one franchise, do all South Park games? Are the Assassin's Creed: Chronicles part of the main Assassin's Creed franchise? Is the Jak racing game part of the main Jak & Daxter franchise?

I would say ever game of a series is part of the franchise. To use Billys examples, South Park: The Stick of Truth is part of the whole South Park franchise as well as the AC Chronicles games being part of the AC franchise.

That's my opinion at least.

2 hours ago, SyIaris said:

So probably amounts to silver or platinum for most people.

So you get a Gold Rank if you have only four episodes of the episodic downloads that weren't platinums but if you have the full game and complete it, you get a platinum rank. And you also get a platinum rank if you have and completed all of the episodes which are not platinums. Good to know.

32 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

So you get a Gold Rank if you have only four episodes of the episodic downloads that weren't platinums but if you have the full game and complete it, you get a platinum rank. And you also get a platinum rank if you have and completed all of the episodes which are not platinums. Good to know.

I think it mainly went that way because of Back to the Future. Weird game in that it has separate lists for each episode and a disc version (I think) that has them all bundled together with a plat.

Decided to 100% the OUTATIME episode of Back To The Future and be done with it, can finally delete it now. Missed five out of twelve trophies on my first go, had to do most of the game again which is why I ignored it for two years.

It doesn't count for the theme so only thing changing is my number of 100%ed during the event goes up by one. Also I'm at 51,52% completion percentage now.

I'm finally making a real dent... I like it that I'm putting more focus on my already started games now. This all started when I decided to pick up Witcher III again but it didn't really take off until recently. I guess last month was a good start, with finally getting the Black Flag platinum.