ratchetdude231

Image result for Boruto Naruto next generation

Anime General Information

Broadcast: Wednesdays at 17:55 (JST)

Studio:Pierrot 

Duration: 23 minutes

Manga General Information

New chapter released every month

Authors: Ikemoto, Mikio (Art), Kodachi, Ukyou (Story)

Where to watch the anime

Crunchyroll

Hulu

Given how much I've been enjoying this show I thought it would be fun to make a thread like this to discuss each episode as they air. If you also happen to read the manga, you can discuss that here as well. 

Please use a spoiler tag for spoilers relating to the anime or manga.

Edited by Ratchet
  • Like 2

Excuse my ignorance but if the anime is released every Wednesday and the manga is released monthly then won't that mean the anime will be diluted with filler in no time?

Also, could someone inform me where the story of the anime takes place in relation to the movie?

Since I'm on mobile and can't spoiler tag, I'll avoid discussing any story. I like the idea of this thread, so thank you for making it!

For those who do not want to use a subscription service to watch though, you can add KissAnime to the 'Where to watch' list. I use that site to catch up on all my anime including Boruto. They upload, update and sub extremely fast.

15 minutes ago, Normalcy1 said:

Excuse my ignorance but if the anime is released every Wednesday and the manga is released monthly then won't that mean the anime will be diluted with filler in no time?

Also, could someone inform me where the story of the anime takes place in relation to the movie?

That's a good question. We don't really know what the hell is going on with the manga. The manga started last year and up until recently it was basically recapping the Boruto movie. 

What we know for certain is that the Boruto movie plays a rather large role in the story, and more than likely the anime will also be doing a recap of the movie at some point as well. As of right now it appears that the Boruto manga is ahead of the anime simply because the latest chapter of Boruto is right after the events of the Boruto movie.  

In regards to your second question the anime takes place way before the movie. In fact the Boruto anime takes place before Naruto Gaiden. It is believed that after the current arc in Boruto is over, Pierrot will animate Naruto Gaiden, and then start animating the manga which starts with the Boruto Naruto the movie recap. In other words the current arc is an anime original. 

Edited by Ratchet

39 minutes ago, Normalcy1 said:

It's a lot like Dragon Ball Super. Everything is canon unless the manga changes something.

1 hour ago, Normalcy1 said:

It'll probably be like Dragon Ball Super, and have the anime make no sense in comparison to the manga which has more time to come up with plotlines. 

Well I watched this week's episode on Wednesday and I have to admit it's probably my favorite episode so far.

Spoiler

Seeing Shino get more character development was really nice. The battle was interesting to watch, and we got to see a bit more of Mitsuki. He reminds me a lot of Sai, but he's a bit darker than him. 

It appears the major threat in this arc is becoming much bigger, now that Naruto and Shikamaru are involved. We still don't really know what's up with that purple chakra, but last episode we saw it take over Shino and as it was taking over Shino I believe there was a shadow on the wall that looked identical to the beast Boruto summoned in Episode 4. I wouldn't be shocked if it's one of the tailed beasts, but my guess is that Orochimaru is back to doing crazy shit. 

Edited by Ratchet

17 hours ago, Ratchet said:

That's a good question. We don't really know what the hell is going on with the manga. The manga started last year and up until recently it was basically recapping the Boruto movie. 

What we know for certain is that the Boruto movie plays a rather large role in the story, and more than likely the anime will also be doing a recap of the movie at some point as well. As of right now it appears that the Boruto manga is ahead of the anime simply because the latest chapter of Boruto is right after the events of the Boruto movie.  

In regards to your second question the anime takes place way before the movie. In fact the Boruto anime takes place before Naruto Gaiden. It is believed that after the current arc in Boruto is over, Pierrot will animate Naruto Gaiden, and then start animating the manga which starts with the Boruto Naruto the movie recap. In other words the current arc is an anime original. 

By Naruto Gaiden do you mean the manga where it focused more on Sarada and that Shin villian dude? that be awesome if they animate that

Just now, Kyl542 said:

By Naruto Gaiden do you mean the manga where it focused more on Sarada and that Shin villian dude? that be awesome if they animate that

Yeah that's what I'm referring to. It wasn't part of Naruto Shippuden, so it's only fair to assume it will be part of Boruto. 

2 hours ago, Kyl542 said:

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2017/05/naruto-anime-to-detail-sasuke-sarada-and-sakuras-relationship/

no release date or an actual confirmation, but this pretty much hints at the naruto gaiden

Yep figured as much. 

Last year I remember seeing quite a few people throwing around the idea of the Boruto anime coming sooner than expect and I simply didn't believe it because I assumed Naruto Gauden would be part of Shippuden, but it appears that they plan on having a couple anime original arcs in Boruto first and then have a Naruto Gaiden arc along with a Boruto movie recap arc.

After the movie recap I imagine the anime will start following the manga very closely.

In the middle of the 4th episode now and I'm overall a little disappointed.. I wasn't expecting anything amazing but the animation during fight scenes is pretty terrible and the plots so far run like standalone filler episodes. I assume the point of them is for us to become more familiar with Boruto and the supporting cast but I'm hoping the first story arc begins soon and that this isn't indicative of the series' direction.

1 minute ago, Normalcy1 said:

In the middle of the 4th episode now and I'm overall a little disappointed.. I wasn't expecting anything amazing but the animation during fight scenes is pretty terrible and the plots so far run like standalone filler episodes. I assume the point of them is for us to become more familiar with Boruto and the supporting cast but I'm hoping the first story arc begins soon and that this isn't indicative of the series' direction.

I actually think the animation has been pretty solid given the studio who is making it lol. There has been far worse animation in Naruto Shippuden

As for the episodes being like standalone filler episodes well I feel like that's how every long running Shounen show starts out. Naruto certainly started that way as well. I think part of the reason why I've been enjoying the show so much is because it's very much a return to the small scale Naruto battles I loved from the original Naruto. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed a lot of the battles from Shippuden, but I'm enjoying the return to much smaller scale battles. 

2 minutes ago, Ratchet said:

I actually think the animation has been pretty solid given the studio who is making it lol. There has been far worse animation in Naruto Shippuden

As for the episodes being like standalone filler episodes well I feel like that's how every long running Shounen show starts out. Naruto certainly started that way as well. I think part of the reason why I've been enjoying the show so much is because it's very much a return to the small scale Naruto battles I loved from the original Naruto. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed a lot of the battles from Shippuden, but I'm enjoying the return to much smaller scale battles. 

I guess you're right, I don't really remember the animation being worse in Shippuden though.. at least not in the episodes I've seen. That has been my favorite part too -- I actually really enjoyed the scene where 

Spoiler

Metal Lee gets put under Shikadai's shadow justu.

Naruto's clever way of handling battles is what made me a fan in the first place. It's also great to see character growth, both personal and in terms of combat abilities. Also, the very beginning scene of the anime has me hopeful that shit will eventually go down, lol. 

9 minutes ago, Normalcy1 said:

I guess you're right, I don't really remember the animation being worse in Shippuden though.. at least not in the episodes I've seen. That has been my favorite part too -- I actually really enjoyed the scene where 

Hide contents

Metal Lee gets put under Shikadai's shadow justu.

Naruto's clever way of handling battles is what made me a fan in the first place. It's also great to see character growth, both personal and in terms of combat abilities. Also, the very beginning scene of the anime has me hopeful that shit will eventually go down, lol. 

Yeah I actually really enjoyed the latest episode. It's probably my favorite so far. While I understand the complaints about the show being rather slow, looking back on it I feel that the original Naruto went way too fast and it didn't really give us enough time to see the characters develop before shit hit the fan. 

Spoiler

I don't feel we saw enough of Naruto and Sasuke's relationship develop before Sasuke went to Orochimaru hence making the whole thing with Naruto wanting to bring back Sasuke fall flat for me. 

I had incredibly low expectations going into Boruto and for me at least the show as blown this expectations out of the water. I'm sure shit will hit the fan at some point given that Kishimoto said recently that he isn't afraid to kill off any of the old cast of characters.

Spoiler

The thing with this anime is that the creators have a lot to play around with. There are remnants of the Otsuki clan still out there to deal with (We saw a bit of that in the Boruto movie), there is the possibility of Madara coming back, etc which gets me very excited to see what happens.

I guess what I'm saying is give it time. 

Edited by Ratchet

Today's episode was really awesome.

Spoiler
  • Seeing more Cho Cho is pretty cool. Feels like we know a lot more about her as a character now
  • It appears the class rep is going to play a bigger role in the story than I thought. Of course it's still really early on, but it appears that she is pretty much this show's version of Hinata
  • Turns out that this purple chakra thing that's happening in the village is draining people's chakra which makes me wonder if this has something to do with the tailed beasts
  • We've known this since the episode Mitsuke was introduced, but he definitely knows something that we don't in regards to the purple chakra thing.

Boruto episode 8 stuff

Spoiler

It seems we are finally going to start learning about Boruto's eye which is really exciting. We also saw Naruto and Boruto together in the preview. Hopefully next week's episode is a bit more family centric cause as much as I'm enjoying seeing the other characters I really want to see a bit more of Naruto, Himaware, and Hinata. 

• 2 weeks later...

Boruto Episode 8 

Spoiler

Really good episode today. Finally feels like we are starting to get close to knowing who the antagonist in the series are going to be. This episode was mostly about Boruto's eye and here are a couple things I noticed

• Toneri Otsutski being the person who gave Boruto his eye is a really interesting twist. I wasn't a big fan of The Last and it's been at least 2 years since I watched it, but if I recall correctly I believe Toneri turned good by the end and promised to repay Naruto and Hinata for all the trouble he caused. Perhaps this eye power Boruto has is his way of doing that. 
  • Toneri also mentioned something about how Boruto will be the one who faces the great destruction that is coming and that he will be the one who basically fixes everything. 
  • No purple chakra incident in this chapter which leads me to believe that it's a very small problem compared to what we now know is coming in the future. The purple chakra thing will probably come back at some point, but I think that by the end of this current arc we will probably have an antagonist, and know what their motives are.
  • Seeing the Hyuga clan was pretty cool. Hinata's dad and sister really like their grandchildren I guess lol

With this episode it finally feels like we have some plot, and while we are probably a ways off from getting the complete picture I'm glad that we are starting to see some new stuff. 

Edited by Ratchet
  • Like 2

Loved this newest episode -- great to finally see the plot find its footing and it seems to be heading in an interesting direction. As always I enjoyed how some less important characters from Naruto are being given more shine/screen-time in this series. I don't remember much from the movie either but I think it's cool how they're tying in the villain from it into the larger narrative. Excited to see what happens next week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Normalcy1 said:

Loved this newest episode -- great to finally see the plot find its footing and it seems to be heading in an interesting direction. As always I enjoyed how some less important characters from Naruto are being given more shine/screen-time in this series. I don't remember much from the movie either but I think it's cool how they're tying in the villain from it into the larger narrative. Excited to see what happens next week!

Yeah I really didn't expect them to do that. Really excited for this week's episode. 

It's really interesting to see the relationship between Boruto and Naruto. A part of me can't really blame Boruto for feeling the way he does about his dad. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

As a long-time fan of the Naruto series, I too, am enjoying how Boruto is turning out as an animanga (anime and manga). Though @Ratchet was originally taking care of this thread, it seems he is currently inactive from the site. Which, in kind, means he has abandoned this thread (at least for now). So, once you finally come around and if you'd like to pass it on Ratchet, I wouldn't mind taking care of this thread.

I am planning on voicing my opinions here each new episode / chapter release. I know this is out of place for the time in week right now, but I will give you all my opinions on the latest episode and chapter now to catch up. All of this, as well as my general thoughts on the animanga, below. Remember to keep everything spoiler tagged if you'd like to discuss specifics on the animanga. If you'd like to tune in on this thread and read through my opinions, expect a post similar to this one every week for the new episode, and every month for the new chapter respectively. It might be a good idea to follow this thread too, in which you can enable at the top right corner of this thread to receive a notification every time I post.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts above, the original post does not cover the fact that you can watch the Boruto anime completely free on Kiss Anime (however, trigger warning, the site is littered with ads and will not let you watch any anime until you disable adblock). I have been using Kiss Anime for a couple years now, and it is personally my recommended platform to catch up on your anime. It offers 720p streaming, is completely free, does not require you to create an account, and won't interrupt your watching with any ads inbetween episodes too. These are all things that Hulu and Crunchyroll do not offer. Kiss Anime also has it's own dedicated discussion space (like this one), if you prefer doing that there instead. I personally read the manga using the Manga Rock app on iOS. If you have an Apple device, I recommend using Manga Rock as it is free, does not require you to create an account, and will notify you of new chapter releases when they happen, if you have the manga saved as a 'favourite'. Otherwise, Manga Rock also has an Android app and a website for PC readers.

Now, onto my actual thoughts on everything! :dance:

BORUTO: My General Thoughts

Spoiler

When Boruto was first announced, I was appalled. As I have just mentioned, I am a long-time fan of the Naruto series. Naruto was the first ever anime I watched back in 2004 and it has stuck with me since. Getting me through some hard times, it is a piece of entertainment I hold very dear to my heart. So, when I saw Boruto was becoming a thing, I knew it couldn't live up to Naruto. Much to my dismay, the animanga begun, and I was actually surprised. Boruto ended up being better than I expected, and it has become something I look forward to every week / month. It is clear that Masashi Kishimoto (the creator of the series) is now directing the series towards a more younger audience, which I personally think destroys some of the value in the animanga (less blood, less intense fights, etc). But, the revamped kid-oriented style is fresh enough to hook in the older audience such as myself too. I think the animanga has taken some massive leaps from when it was first announced, from showing off some new cool openings, to revealing some shocking truths and mysteries. The very first look of the animanga being the most mysterious of all, as it shows off an older Boruto with some odd looking powers versuing an unknown "Kawaki" figure. Kawaki claims he has killed Naruto, the Seventh Hokage, and destoryed the Hidden Leaf Village (which we can see as the shot pans outwards). Since that first brief look into the future, the animanga has yet to answer any of the questions we have had while watching this prologue. What are these mysterious marks on Boruto, and what power do they represent? Has this person really killed Naruto? But most importantly, who is Kawaki? Despite nothing being answered here, since then we have also had a lot of new information given to us. And although that information is centered around all of the characters, revealing something interesting or cool about them all, I am choosing to focus on Boruto for the purpose of not dragging this post out too long. Between the anime, manga, and the single Boruto movie, Boruto as a character has grown significantly. We have seen him pull of a wealth of amazing justu so far such as the Rasengan (Wind Style), Thunderclap Arrow (Lightning Style), and Surging Sea (Water Style) to name a few. This means, so far, Boruto is identified to have three chakra natures. Wind Release, Lightning Release, and Water Release. This is major news as it means Boruto currently holds both Naruto and Sasuke's main chakra natures, which can later develop into Boruto using both the Rasengan and the Chidori! Delving more into the manga plot, it seems that every time Boruto uses his Rasengan, he sort of drains his enemy's power into a curse mark that is displayed on his right palm / forearm. These curse marks usually instantly vanish away however, as I assume Boruto is not strong enough to contain their power yet (note that these are also the same curse marks that Boruto had around his body in the prologue of the animanga, as well as the curse marks that are currently being investigated by the manga antagonist group "Kara"). The same thing also happens to Boruto in the movie, after Boruto defeats Momoshinki with Naruto's help. He gains a curse mark, and a very shocking spiritual visit from none other than Kaguya herself, after they both disappear shortly afterwards. Back into the anime's side of things, Boruto gains some sort of unknown Dojutsu which can identify others who are under the influence of Nue. This Dojutsu is apparently bestowed upon Boruto from Toneri, so it is believed to be the Tenseigan. Toneri continues to make brief appearances in the anime, most of them displaying his well-being in distress as he begs Boruto to "hurry up". The Boruto animanga aside, we last saw Toneri in The Last: Naruto the Movie, where he resides on the moon. This is where I assume he is watching over Boruto from as well, since his scenes are always dark and full of astrological hints. All of these clues put together, from the movie, manga, and anime, all suggest a larger and darker plot which seems to be conceiving in the background of everything else. The fact that Boruto has the potential to become stronger than Naruto and Sasuke combined, while also have connections to the Hyuga and Otutsuki Clans that potentially give him access to both the Byakugan and Tenseigan, is huge. This would eventually make Boruto the strongest ninja who ever lived! Having the fate of the Sun and the Moon fall on your shoulders without you even knowing it is pretty crazy, Boruto is in for a wild ride of discovery, and I cannot wait to join him while he unlocks his full potential. This larger, darker plot of the Boruto animanga is currently keeping me gripping on very firmly, and I believe will turn out to be a better portrayed series than Naruto was. Let us not forget that Boruto (as an anime) is already doing better than Naruto (as an anime), with it's enhanced visuals, animations, and fortunate lack of flashback fillers! What started off to be a questionable series that I doubted would survive, has turned out to be a colourful, enjoyable, mysterious ride. I am looking forward to what Masashi has in store for the future of Boruto.

BORUTO EPISODE 46: "Go! The Crest of the Night Strategy" | "Kekkō! ! Goku yoru (kyokuya) sakusen" | (決行!! 極夜(きょくや)作戦)

Spoiler

Following last week's "Memories From The Day of Snow", Shikadai finds out that his new friend, Ryogi, is affiliated with the group that has been recently causing the Hidden Leaf Village some trouble, the Byakuya Gang. The Byakuya Gang portray themselves as "humble thieves", who steal from the rich and fortune the poor. This gang also use jutsu from the Ice Release chakra nature, which leads me to believe they may have some Yuki Clan origin (Haku), as the chakra nature is known to be the Yuki Clan's kekkei genkai. Ryogi quickly jumps from his game of Shogi with Shikadai (how rude) as he feels threatened, and explains to Shikadai why he must do what he is doing. This queues a short flashback where we see Ryogi's parents both get slaughtered in a Land of Ice incident, while Gekko (the leader of Byakuya Gang, and close friend of Ryogi's father) comes in at the last minute to save Ryogi from the killer's attack. Maybe this is just the good ol anime trope flying over my head, but Gekko coming to Ryogi's rescue at the last second seemed pretty suspicious to me. Maybe Gekko needed to get rid of Ryogi's parents? After awaking, Gekko explains to Ryogi his parents history with the gang, shows him the way of the gang, and what they do exactly. After all this, Ryogi decides to join the Byakuya Gang, as a final plea for help. Shikadai does not agree with Ryogi's decision on joining though, which upsets Ryogi. He quickly makes an icy escape before Shikadai could do anything else (but let's be real, Shikadai wasn't going to do anything anyway). Ryogi escapes just in time to catch up with Gekko and begin the final phase of the gang's plan, The Crest of the Night Strategy. This plan included putting a horde of the Hidden Leaf's citizens under some sort of genjutsu to engage their protest to the Kaminarimon company's doorsteps, while the Byakuya Gang gets an opening to raid Katasuke's Research Laboratory. This plan was also entirely Ryogi's idea... Wait what? They're just going to trust the kid with a plan this huge?! Before the true intentions of the gang's plan were even revealed however, Shikadai was able to find this out by structuring a map of the protest similarly to how Ryogi structured his attacks in Shogi. I thought this was pretty cool, and really shows how much this phase of the plan mean't to Ryogi. Shikadai, Inojin, Chocho, and Boruto (because why not) all make a run for the Research Laboratory, hoping to catch the gang in their tracks. Meanwhile, back at the Kaminarimon Corp, Denki is able to find out that the citizens are under a genjutsu. This leads to Sarada and for some reason, an out of the blue appearance from Hanabi, to both use their Dojutsus and reverse the genjutsu. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see Hanabi for once, but I mean she sorta was just... There, you know? Shikadai and Boruto make it to Katasuke, but only after having to split up with Inojin and Chocho to clear out some of the gang's grunts. Inojin and Chocho seem to have the upper hand of the battle, until they go up against an intimidating Fire Style user. All hope seems lost, until Shikamaru ninja's his way in and knocks the guy's socks off with a single swing of his palm. Inojin and Chocho's reactions to seeing Shikamaru were pretty cute, as they both call out "Uncle Shikamaru?". Back at the Research Laboratory, the team is unfortunately a moment too late. Katasuke has already had the life beaten out of him (poor guy), and his life's works stolen from him. Kinda weird how the Byakuya Gang directed their plan towards Katasuke and stole his scroll full of funky jutsu, because their "noble thieves", remember? What the hell are the poor gonna do with jutsu? They're not even ninja for crying out loud! But I guess I should keep in mind that this was the kid's plan, after all (:facepalm:). Katasuke reveals that he put a tracker on Gekko, so Shikadai and Boruto pursue Gekko and Ryogi onto an operating train, headed for the Village's border. This episode concludes in an intense stare battle between the two sides. A brawl is surely brewing!

BORUTO CHAPTER 21: "How You Use It" | "Dono yō ni shiyō suru" | (どのように使用する)

Spoiler

Following last month's "Scientific Ninja Tools", Boruto, Sarada, Mitsuki, Konohamaru, and Katasuke are all hulled up in some ancient ruins, devising a plan of attack against their pursuer, Ao. For those of you who may of forgotten, Ao was the Fifth Mizukage's (Mei's) "Right Hand Man", who "died" in the Fourth Great Ninja War from the Ten Tails attack. This is basically Masashi's way of attempting to make a character relevant again, when in reality, they weren't even relevant to begin with. Since the Fourth Great Ninja War though, Ao has received some biotic enhancements from Katasuke himself in order to survive. Yeah, whoever thought Science couldn't save lives, YOU WERE WRONG. SCIENCEEEE BAYBEEEE!! Sorry. Moving on, the team devises a plan which puts Boruto as the center point of it all. While doing this, Boruto almost passes out. Katasuke explains that the energy sword Boruto is wielding is still a prototype, and still takes up a great load of the users chakra (you're only just now telling us this??). Konohamaru contemplates this fact over, and decides to include it in the plan. Ao get's an out of the blue visit from "Kara", and they demand him to finish the mission already. The team begins their attack, Sarada, Mitsuki, and Konohamaru commence their head-on ninjutsu attacks, which obviously don't do anything because Ao has one of Katasuke's absorption arms. While these three keep Ao busy, Boruto surprise attacks Ao from behind with the energy sword, but fails as he drops the sword immediately afterwards. Noticing Boruto's attachment to the sword, Ao rushes to the sword. As he picks it up, Mitsuki does his crazy hand thing and wraps a giant hug around Ao's body and the hand he's holding the sword in, activating it, and draining Ao's chakra. This gives Boruto the opening he needs, as he rushes in with the Rasengan and the second absorption arm both in-hand. This chapter concludes as Boruto is finally able to land a hit on Ao with his Rasengan, But I mean, this doesn't really help. Team 7 are now surrounding Ao, who pretty much has the power of them all combined, and Katasuke is nowhere to be seen! So I hope Katasuke pulls through and manages to land a hit on Ao in the next chapter too. Another thing that has stood out for me throughout this whole Ao sub arc, is the fact that they keep mentioning his Byakugan basically makes him unstoppable. Yet throughout this entire fight, Ao hasn't used Byakugan once. And surely Katasuke would be able to know if he even has Byakugan anymore or not, since he was the one who brought Ao back to life! Seriously, who gave this guy his job?

Edited by ddracarys

A new episode of the Boruto anime just released a couple of hours ago, so let's get into discussing it!

BORUTO EPISODE 47: "The Figure I Want To Be" | "Naritai koma (su gata)" | (成りたい駒(すがた)

Spoiler

Following last week's "Go! The Crest of the Night Strategy", Shikadai and Boruto have caught up with Gekko and Ryogi, and everybody is tensing up for combat. Before all else though, Shikadai cries for Ryogi's attention, begging him to turn his life around before it's too late. Gekko interferes with his usual stupid remark, and Boruto being his natural self, gets tempered about it. Boruto engages with several kunai towards Gekko, but Ryogi jumps in the way, getting injured in the process. At this point, Ryogi sounds and feels different. Before we can get any answers, Gekko orders Ryogi to use his Ice Wall jutsu. Shikadai and Boruto get caught in it, while Gekko and Ryogi plan their escape. The scene shifts to Gekko and Ryogi, and this is where my prediction from last week turns out to be true. Gekko did in fact kill Ryogi's parents. For what reason? No idea. As per usual, this is not explained. Ryogi collapses as he continues to see Gekko killing his parents in his head, dropping his bag of shogi pieces in the process. I liked to think this is foreshadowing the fact that Ryogi is about to get a heavy weight lifted off him later on this episode, but I will get to that shortly. Gekko picks up the pieces of shogi, throws them out of the moving train's window (I have no words), "heals" Ryogi's kunai wound, and asks him to take care of the "two brats", while he goes off and "stops the train". While being trapped inside Ryogi's Ice Wall jutsu, Boruto and Shikadai find out that the Byakuya Gang's special genjutsu is supported by the victim looking at a reflection of them self. They don't realise this until after Boruto gets caught in the genjutsu himself and tries tearing Shikadai up. Off topic, but his small fight between our two protagonists totally reminds me of Pikachu slapping duplicate Pikachu. Shikadai quickly realises the mirrors, destorys them all, gets Boruto back into reality, sucker punches him to get even, then they escape. Shortly after escaping, they encounter Ryogi again. Shikadai devises a plan for Boruto to go ahead looking for Gekko, while he handles Ryogi. Gekko is, unsurprisingly, seen killing his own comrades of the Byakuya Gang (wow Masashi, you sure this isn't too violent for the kids?). And this is when something really interesting happens. Shikadai continues to try talking Ryogi out of this fight, but Ryogi gets consumed by his own emotions. It appears that when Gekko was "healing" his kunai wound earlier, he was really just putting Ryogi under a genjutsu. This awakens something dark within Ryogi, and he gains a familiar curse mark around his body. Now, I know the Byakuya gang have their own special genjutsu, so this probably isn't credible, but the first thing I thought of when I saw Ryogi gain the curse mark was Boruto in the prologue. Especially after Ryogi's marks lit up in a purple glow. This unfortunately doesn't last long, but it was very interesting to see. I wonder if this will be followed up on later, though after today's episode, I don't see Ryogi, Gekko, or any members of the Byakuya gang being relevant anymore. Now that I think about it, most of all the antagonists in the Boruto anime up to this point have all been possessed kids... Sumire with her Nue possession, Kagura with his Seven Swordsmen possession, and now Ryogi under Gekko's possession. Wow, did this kid-orientened anime just take a major escalation? Anyway, back on topic, Boruto peruses Gekko and almost has him, until Gekko gets him to look into a mirror and blind sights him with a kick. Boruto and Shikadai now find themselves back to back, dealing with their own enemies. However, Ryogi unleashes a powerful Ice Blizzard jutsu that distracts everybody long enough for Gekko to get on the opposite train cart, and cut the rest of the carts off. As he rides away, he explains that he was simply just using Ryogi as a pawn the whole time. Jeez, way to let off like twelve years in one sentence dude. You could of at least eased it in. Gekko rides away with Katasuke's valuables, and the pair are left dealing with a now extremely sad Ryogi. The curse mark has now almost completely grown into his face, and Shikadai knows he must do something. Attempt after attempt, Shikadai tries calming Ryogi down with words, but he fails. For a person who considers everything "a drag", I can't imagine this is very fun for our poor Shikadai. Ryogi's Ice Blizzard continues to penerate the train cart, pushing Shikadai back. Boruto manages to catch Shikadai with his clones, and uses his Wind Release jutsu to propel Shikadai close enough to release the genjutsu on Ryogi. Finally, he's under control. After a slow, sad realisation on Ryogi's part, the gang head outside and ponder on how to catch up to Gekko. Suddenly, a yellow flash passes through the screen. And naturally, you'd probably assume Sonic's in town or something. But no, false alarm everybody, it's just Naruto. Naruto stops Gekko's train and captures him. I wish I could tell you how, but Naruto literally just holds his hand out and suddenly Gekko is in custody in the next scene. So, like, I appreciate Naruto finally stepping in. But seriously, what the hell just happened?? In my opinion, this scene seemed fairly rushed. Actually, this entire episode seemed fairly rushed. I feel the Byakuya Gang could of had a longer arc and could of lasted longer than they did. But alas, at the conclusion of this episode, comes the conclusion of this arc. Before the episode ends, Boruto has a brief talk with Katasuke about the contents of the stolen goods. Katasuke suspiciously reveals the contents, and if you've watched Boruto: Naruto the Movie, you would already know what the contents are. That's right, the Boruto anime is finally catching up with the manga and will commence the Chunnin Exam arc starting next week! Katasuke being suspicious all of a sudden actually falls under the next arc, in which we find out that he is being controlled by the mysterious "Kara" group (manga). This is very exciting, as it means the rise of Momoshinki is about to dawn on us too.

Edited by ddracarys

• 2 months later...

pretty dead threat, I guess haha but just wanted to stop by and voice my thoughts ✌️

I've been very critical of the Boruto series - I don't really like series that go on endlessly when they should have ended ages ago. But in a spur of naruto feels/ sasuke being a terrible badass over the last episodes of shippuuden i decided to give it a go.

and I binged it. so much. it's thursday today so I will probably watch the new episode any moment and it's been wat i have look forward to every week.

Boruto, to me, is not the most interesting character, although he has more depth than i expected. firs he felt like a Naruto-clone (which is kinda of the point I guess) but now I especially like how he actually respects some people, despite being a brat 80% of the time. Recent character developments during the chuunin exam also are pretty interesting.

Mizuki is probably the most interesting to me, because he's quite unpredicatble. also i like snakes LOL

Can't comment on the manga-anime relationship, as I'm not reading the manga.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 1:03 AM, Tepp-a said:

pretty dead threat, I guess haha but just wanted to stop by and voice my thoughts 270c.png

I've been very critical of the Boruto series - I don't really like series that go on endlessly when they should have ended ages ago. But in a spur of naruto feels/ sasuke being a terrible badass over the last episodes of shippuuden i decided to give it a go.

and I binged it. so much. it's thursday today so I will probably watch the new episode any moment and it's been wat i have look forward to every week.

Boruto, to me, is not the most interesting character, although he has more depth than i expected. firs he felt like a Naruto-clone (which is kinda of the point I guess) but now I especially like how he actually respects some people, despite being a brat 80% of the time. Recent character developments during the chuunin exam also are pretty interesting.

Mizuki is probably the most interesting to me, because he's quite unpredicatble. also i like snakes LOL

Can't comment on the manga-anime relationship, as I'm not reading the manga.

Yeah, unfortunately this thread doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. As you can see above, I was providing weekly (anime) and monthly (manga) thoughts for all of the new content on this thread for some time, before stopping. Apart from it taking up too much of my time, nobody really checks this thread, so a small part of me felt it was just pointless to continue. I'm glad you have commented and shared your thoughts though! I always enjoy reading other people's thoughts on Boruto.

I can definitely see where you're coming from, in terms of being critical about Boruto as both an anime and character. I felt the same upon entering the fandom myself. After some time though, I quickly began to realise that Boruto (as an anime) has a lot more potential than Naruto (as an anime) had when it began. Enhanced technology makes Boruto's animation beautiful, more vibrant, and in kind, appeals to a brand new audience (the youth, of course). I'm personally extremely excited to see Boruto grow as a character, especially to the point of his prologue self.

If you can spare some time for the manga, I recommend reading it too. Something insane just happened on that side of things, and it's just better in general, at least in my opinion. I'm looking forward to when the anime catches up to the latest chapter.

Edited by ddracarys