Premier League Football (Soccer) Thread

ille1234

He has scored more goals than a shitton of people. Examples: Agüero, Rooney, Hernández, Demba Ba, Villa, Sánchez, Higuain, Benzema (last two I'm not 100% sure about). That just goes to show this dude is exaggerating, or that most strikers nowadays are useless  :P .

I wholeheartedly agree that a striker should score. However, let's take a look at Chelsea's history with high-profile strikers since the Russian bought 'em. Only one of them has performed well, and he's the super overrated dude known as Drogba. The rest? They all flop goal-wise. Perfect examples right now are both Torres and Demba Ba (who scored more goals this season with Newcastle).

However, that said, Torres has kind of made up for it with: enthusiasm, energy, assists, starting plays, creating spaces, etc. He might not finish a play by scoring, but he's usually doing something that helps the team either score or create dangerous situations. He's not useless like Alexis Sánchez, who never scores nor helps nor anything and is just a cancer with a lot of heart and enthusiasm. No, he's actually helpful to the team as a whole.

But whatever, like you said to Gota, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think you'll change your viewpoint, and I'm sure as hell not changing mine :P .

I'm not saying Torres is a bad player, as I stated before I use to think he was the best striker in the league. All I'm saying is that since he went to Chelsea he's not performed as he should do and some of the misses in front of goal have at times been laughable. At a cost of 50 million pounds you would have wanted more goals especially in the prem league which is where goals matter most. You're right though Chelsea do have a habit of destroying strikers :)

He has scored more goals than a shitton of people. Examples: Agüero, Rooney, Hernández, Demba Ba, Villa, Sánchez, Higuain, Benzema (last two I'm not 100% sure about). That just goes to show this dude is exaggerating, or that most strikers nowadays are useless  :P .

I wholeheartedly agree that a striker should score. However, let's take a look at Chelsea's history with high-profile strikers since the Russian bought 'em. Only one of them has performed well, and he's the super overrated dude known as Drogba. The rest? They all flop goal-wise. Perfect examples right now are both Torres and Demba Ba (who scored more goals this season with Newcastle).

However, that said, Torres has kind of made up for it with: enthusiasm, energy, assists, starting plays, creating spaces, etc. He might not finish a play by scoring, but he's usually doing something that helps the team either score or create dangerous situations. He's not useless like Alexis Sánchez, who never scores nor helps nor anything and is just a cancer with a lot of heart and enthusiasm. No, he's actually helpful to the team as a whole.

But whatever, like you said to Gota, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think you'll change your viewpoint, and I'm sure as hell not changing mine :P .

Also you state that he's scored more goals than  Hernandez but you're not taking into account the amount of time he gets on the pitch. 36 games this season and a lot them he's been coming on as a sub and he still scored 18 goals. 10 of those goals coming in the league. Torres 64 games with a return of  23 goals with just 8 of them coming in the league. See the difference? 

• Like 1

I'm not saying Torres is a bad player, as I stated before I use to think he was the best striker in the league. All I'm saying is that since he went to Chelsea he's not performed as he should do and some of the misses in front of goal have at times been laughable. At a cost of 50 million pounds you would have wanted more goals especially in the prem league which is where goals matter most. You're right though Chelsea do have a habit of destroying strikers :)

Also you state that he's scored more goals than  Hernandez but you're not taking into account the amount of time he gets on the pitch. 36 games this season and a lot them he's been coming on as a sub and he still scored 18 goals. 10 of those goals coming in the league. Torres 64 games with a return of  23 goals with just 8 of them coming in the league. See the difference? 

For a price tag of £6M against £50M!!

• Like 1

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Where I'm from you buy strikers to score goals, not run back.

The money Chelsea have made in CL and Europa cup is just silly talk in my opinion. It's like you're saying Torres is the only reason Chelsea won anything and had nothing to do with the other members of the Chelsea squad.

Also by you saying that "Torres has obviously been lackluster in that department" you've basically admitted that Torres hasn't done his job probably as a striker, which is to score goals. On that note I'll leave it at that.

So, when Torres scores pivotal goals you push it to one side and call it "silly talk," and when he doesn't score he's a "flop"? And the fact of the matter is (if we're going by your goals are the be-all-and-end-all and nothing else he does matters perspective, that is) Torres directly won both the Champions League and Europa League for Chelsea by scoring the goals he did. I'm not talking about what he didn't do, just going on what he has done; if you'd take a step back and actually analyse every aspect of his game then you'd realise he's done more than well this season on the whole. Football isn't as black and gray as that anymore, man; positions have evolved as the game has evolved. 

And I'm not admitting anything that nobody doesn't already fucking know; yes he hasn't scored many as many goals as other strikers in the Premier League. That is a fact, much like every thing else I have said. But, you have a narrow viewpoint on what constitutes as a good player, and if Torres scored 50+ goals next year you'd probably call him a selfish bastard. I don't even know why I'm defending Torres anymore - I'm a Manchester United fan. 

Agree to disagree. 

So, when Torres scores pivotal goals you push it to one side and call it "silly talk," and when he doesn't score he's a "flop"? And the fact of the matter is (if we're going by your goals are the be-all-and-end-all and nothing else he does matters perspective, that is) Torres directly won both the Champions League and Europa League for Chelsea by scoring the goals he did. I'm not talking about what he didn't do, just going on what he has done; if you'd take a step back and actually analyse every aspect of his game then you'd realise he's done more than well this season on the whole. Football isn't as black and gray as that anymore, man; positions have evolved as the game has evolved. 

And I'm not admitting anything that nobody doesn't already fucking know; yes he hasn't scored many as many goals as other strikers in the Premier League. That is a fact, much like every thing else I have said. But, you have a narrow viewpoint on what constitutes as a good player, and if Torres scored 50+ goals next year you'd probably call him a selfish bastard. I don't even know why I'm defending Torres anymore - I'm a Manchester United fan. 

Agree to disagree. 

Well seeing as you're a Manchester United fan, this is for you. 

• Like 1

Am i allowed to divert the discussion to the champions league final? :P Dortmund to win! Ledenowski <3  

Would love to see Dortmund beat Munich in the final, It just seems that everyone is talking about how Munich will win and it will be the start of a dynasty etc etc, love a great underdog story just like Wigan in the FA Cup  :D

BTW Con what's the mood like in Wigan would you have swapped the FA Cup for Premier League survival  :hmm:

Would love to see Dortmund beat Munich in the final, It just seems that everyone is talking about how Munich will win and it will be the start of a dynasty etc etc, love a great underdog story just like Wigan in the FA Cup  :D

BTW Con what's the mood like in Wigan would you have swapped the FA Cup for Premier League survival  :hmm:

In 10 years what are people gonna remember, Wigan winning the FA Cup or Wigan surviving a relegation battle? Even though staying in the prem would of been better for money, its a bigger accomplisment for a little club like ours to win the FA Cup and make it into Europe for the first time in our history. So i'm happier that we won the Cup.

• Like 1

You wont be saying that in ten years time if you still haven't made it back into the premier league. Look what happened to Leeds and more recently Wolves. The players you'll lose before the start of the season will be huge and then you'll probably going to have to find a new manager as well. Good luck though, I do like Wigan and wish them the best.

Dortmund to win I hope :)

Am i allowed to divert the discussion to the champions league final? :P Dortmund to win! Ledenowski <3  

Not if you're going to support Lewandowski* and his cohorts :P . But yeah, I think Bayern will win. Even with half their substitutes playing and one-man-down, Borussia couldn't beat them in their last league match. That said, football is football and they are bloody Germans, which means they're always lucky when it comes to the sport, so who knows what might happen.

Still, I'd rather see Bayern trash them and then watch them flop next season as Guardiola demonstrates he's overrated and can't do well without stealing other teams' tactics and playstyles, not to mention without building up a mini-national team lol.

Edited by Nagflar

I'm terrified of the thought of the Champions League final going to penalties - it'll never fucking end knowing those Germans. 

Holy shit, you're fucking right. I can't imagine that shit! And even their non-German players play like Germans!

It looked like it was going to extra time, but finally Robben showed that he can score in a final...

I didnt enjoy it as much as the semi final games but it was still a decent match and in the end I think the better team won.

So now thats the all Spanish, all Italian, all English and all German finals out of the road. Any other nation that could hope to put 2 teams in the CL final?

Portugal, France, Russia - 3 Teams each

Netherlands, Ukraine, Greece, Turkey, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland and Austria all have 2 teams qualifying for the the 2013/14 Champions League.

I would say that France are the next best option with the heavy spending Monaco and PSG - but both Benfica and Porto have been in the final before too AND the final is in Lisbon....

Agreed, the match was entertaining, even if not as much as the semi-finals. The beginning was horrid, with both teams constantly screwing up their opportunities (which happened thanks to the other team screwing up when defending), but towards the end of the first half, and during the second one, Bayern started playing better and that lead to their victory.

On another note, I doubt we'll see two French or Portuguese clubs getting to the final anytime soon.

Soon the madness of the transfer window will be upon us. As a Manchester United fan I would love to see Strootman, Isco, Vidal or a similar player make the move to United. I can see us buying Thiago from Barcelona, Strootman from PSV and one other player. As long as the midfield is dealt with I'll be happy. Who'd you guys like to see arrive at your club? 

Soon the madness of the transfer window will be upon us. As a Manchester United fan I would love to see Strootman, Isco, Vidal or a similar player make the move to United. I can see us buying Thiago from Barcelona, Strootman from PSV and one other player. As long as the midfield is dealt with I'll be happy. Who'd you guys like to see arrive at your club? 

As a Manchester United fan as well I'd like to see at least two world class midfielders added to the squad for next season. Strootman has been linked to us for sometime now and has been likened to Roy Keane. Living in Malaga, I know firsthand what a great player Isco is and would love to see him at United but from what I gather it looks like he might end up in the blue half of the City. Thiago and also Fabregas has been linked to us quite a lot lately and either would be a good addition to the squad. I just hope Moyes buys well this summer and the transfers work. Who would you like to see leave this summer?

Edited by Skippy

I certainly hope this is the season in which whoever is in charge of United realizes the team needs better players on the midfield, not bloody strikers.

That said, the dream of having Sneijder come is pretty much over, so I'd like to see Fabregas (who, like Skippy mentioned, has been linked to the team a few times now) make the move. He's one heck of a player, and it if weren't for him being at Barcelona, he'd play as much as he wanted to.

Regarding another player coming over, I've got no preferences to be honest. Haven't really seen any of those you've mentioned except Isco, and while I agree he's good, I'm not really desperate to have him at Old Trafford.

As for someone leaving? I'd like Rafael to get the damn boot once and for all :P . Unless he actually improves this season.

I certainly hope this is the season in which whoever is in charge of United realizes the team needs better players on the midfield, not bloody strikers.

That said, the dream of having Sneijder come is pretty much over, so I'd like to see Fabregas (who, like Skippy mentioned, has been linked to the team a few times now) make the move. He's one heck of a player, and it if weren't for him being at Barcelona, he'd play as much as he wanted to.

Regarding another player coming over, I've got no preferences to be honest. Haven't really seen any of those you've mentioned except Isco, and while I agree he's good, I'm not really desperate to have him at Old Trafford.

As for someone leaving? I'd like Rafael to get the damn boot once and for all :P . Unless he actually improves this season.

I think that's very harsh. Rafael has properly been one our most improved players this season and has what I would consider to be a very good season. He's still only 22 and will become stronger and more experienced in the seasons to come.

I think that's very harsh. Rafael has properly been one our most improved players this season and has what I would consider to be a very good season. He's still only 22 and will become stronger and more experienced in the seasons to come.

It's just sad that I have to acknowledge he's one of the strongest links in United's defense, given how horrible it's been this year. And to think it actually improved from the start of the season.