Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - A PSNProfiles Continuous Multiplayer Gaming Event

K0gFKKH.png

Because an NPC hitting you with a red shell is much less fun than a fellow forum user hitting you with a red shell and bragging about it afterwards

Event open for joining!

Do you have a Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Do you feel like Mario Kart has a lot to offer for multiplayer, but are your real life friends too busy with other stuff to come over?

Do you like the community event setup of PSNP and do you wish to play online with us instead of randoms?

Am I still not done with this kind of Event layout? How about an event focussing on Mario Kart multiplayer?

The Idea

After having a session of Mario Kart with @angelgrievous and @MosesRockefeller, having multiple sessions with more people seemed like a fun idea, and having an event seemed like the best way of setting this up.

It's tough to plan multiplayer sessions, hopefully an open event will make it all a bit easier.

The rules

• The event runs from now until paid online for the Switch starts (planned in fall 2017). After that, it remains to be seen how many of us are actually going to pay for online.
  • There is no limit to the number of participants. If you want to join, then join!
  • You can join even after the event has started. The event will run for a few months so naturally people who get a Switch and/or Kart at a later time can still enter.
  • Participants should have at least 100 posts in the forum to their name, and have been a member since 2016/01/01 or earlier. This is to filter out people who are not active in the threads and/or have just found PSNprofiles, I'd like to see all participants staying active to the end.
  • You should try to join in at least one multiplayer session each month. We don't need participants who never actually play along with us.
  • Anyone can suggest a date and time for a session. As long as others are interested, go ahead and play.
  • For clarity purposes, all session suggestions should be done in the GMT time format. Remember that it's daylight savings now, so for instance Holland is now at GMT+2.
  • If you announce participation in a suggested session, please be available for the whole session. Those who want to continue afterwards can do so, without pressure on people who have other stuff to do.
  • Have fun!

Suggested session dates:

Past sessions:

Spoiler

Saturday 2017-05-20, GMT 2000-2100.

Participants: BillyHorrible, angelgrievous

Sunday 2017-05-21, GMT 2130-2200.

Participants: BillyHorrible, angelgrievous

Sunday 2017-06-04, GMT 1200-1300.

Participants: angelgrievous, cjshaitan, BillyHorrible, zajac9999

Participants:

RGltOwK.png GMT+10 cjshaitan (1 session)

girl1.jpg GMT+10 Super-Fly Spider-Guy

iDxiApM.png GMT+02 BillyHorrible (3 sessions)

pjaIADh.png GMT+01 zajac9999 (1 session)

RHy81Zc.pngGMT-04 angelgrievous (3 sessions)

karon1.jpg GMT-04 DuckSwimmer

d6HZMAj.pngGMT-04 MosesRockefeller

Edited by BillyHorrible
updates
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'm 10/10 for this. 

Let no child or time zone stand between us uniting!

Or something less gay. Whatever.

If it's gay to not want a child between us uniting then I don't want to be straight.

You've been added. First other participant, yay!

I added you to the OP, also decided to list people based on their time zone.

Are either of the two sessions I planned an option for you? I guess these would be 6AM on next Sunday and Monday for you.

I could do two hours later on the first one if that's better for you, or you could say what works best for you. I think I'm available for most of my Sunday actually.

I'm down for some Mario Kart uniting (especially if we dedicate more or at least equal time to Battle Mode). So now we can be a Holy Trinity of gayness. Or Love Triangle, or something. 

I feel like our sessions would be more fun if we stick to the same character, and develop some rivalries or something (in my case, the only rivalry will be for the rest of you to compete to see who can lap me first). So on that note, I had fun playing as Wario last weekend and I think I'll stick with him. Also, in keeping with the event theme, I'm pretty sure he's gay for Mario, and Waluigi. And Luigi. And possibly Yoshi. Basically just about everyone. 

Oh, and because of Daylight Saving, I'm now GMT-4. I think that puts both suggested sessions at 4-5pm? That's probably a good time for me, as my daughter usually wakes up from her nap at 5 or 5:30. If she takes a nap that is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I feel like our sessions would be more fun if we stick to the same character, and develop some rivalries or something (in my case, the only rivalry will be for the rest of you to compete to see who can lap me first). So on that note, I had fun playing as Wario last weekend and I think I'll stick with him. Also, in keeping with the event theme, I'm pretty sure he's gay for Mario, and Waluigi. And Luigi. And possibly Yoshi. Basically just about everyone. 

Fine, it should not come as a surprise then that I'll stick to Bowser. I think he's gay for Mario too.

Should I mention characters in the OP? Think I can make some icons...

By the by, here in offline play we've decided to stick to the Mii characters for battle mode, so we can see each other's names when we (get) hit. I have enough amiibo to have unlocked a nice number of costumes.

3 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

I just turned on the Switch and played my first Mario Kart Grand Prix ......... absolutely awesome. I am definitely keen to join in some MP action. I play on the pedestrian speed 50cc, what speed do you all normally play at. 

I am also at GMT+10

I did every GP on 50cc to just check out all the tracks, then Switched to 150cc. Don't think 200cc is that much fun, 150cc is where it's at.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Does anybody know what the multiplayer limits are per game type? I know it supports up to 12 players, but I'm not sure how that balances between separate consoles combined with local players (I noticed that Online can be done with 2 local players joining online players). 

I don't know, let's find out!

P.S. I could technically play for the next four hours, so GMT 1700 until GMT 2100 (possibly 2200).

Edited by BillyHorrible

48 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Fine, it should not come as a surprise then that I'll stick to Bowser. I think he's gay for Mario too.

Yeah, all those times he kidnapped Peach were really to get Mario's attention, weren't they? He's so in love with Mario it's not funny. 

49 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Should I mention characters in the OP? Think I can make some icons...

That sounds fun, I approve! Especially since somebody else is doing the work! 

50 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

By the by, here in offline play we've decided to stick to the Mii characters for battle mode, so we can see each other's names when we (get) hit. I have enough amiibo to have unlocked a nice number of costumes.

On the subject of unlocking, I found an article that does a good job of listing the various unlockables in MK8 Deluxe. Obviously the Wii U stuff can be ignored. It's interesting that it mentions the Mercedes vehicles, because I had assumed that this odd promotional DLC was missing from the Switch version. Those unlockables give me some motivation to play single player. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-16-mario-kart-8-deluxe-unlockables-gold-mario-gold-kart-parts-4623

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, all those times he kidnapped Peach were really to get Mario's attention, weren't they? He's so in love with Mario it's not funny. 

That's implying it's one-sided... Don't you think Mario is a bit too eager to "rescue Peach" every time Bowser is asking for attention? And yet, even with all the princess kidnapping, Mario still makes sure Bowser is invited when everyone goes karting... Hmmmmm.....

That sounds fun, I approve! Especially since somebody else is doing the work! 

Hah.... Hah..... Hah....

On the subject of unlocking, I found an article that does a good job of listing the various unlockables in MK8 Deluxe. Obviously the Wii U stuff can be ignored. It's interesting that it mentions the Mercedes vehicles, because I had assumed that this odd promotional DLC was missing from the Switch version. Those unlockables give me some motivation to play single player. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-16-mario-kart-8-deluxe-unlockables-gold-mario-gold-kart-parts-4623

Yeah I'm glad everything was unlocked at once, meant I could start full multiplayer right away.

33 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

That's implying it's one-sided... Don't you think Mario is a bit too eager to "rescue Peach" every time Bowser is asking for attention? And yet, even with all the princess kidnapping, Mario still makes sure Bowser is invited when everyone goes karting... Hmmmmm.....

Good point. And after all this time, Mario still tends to keep Peach at arm's length. 

34 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah I'm glad everything was unlocked at once, meant I could start full multiplayer right away.

I liked how the Wii U version gave you incentives to unlock the courses and characters, but I think Nintendo made the right choice with Deluxe to have those things unlocked from the start, and have the unlockable stuff be mostly cosmetic. It definitely would have been weird for returning Wii U players to have to unlock all that same stuff again. 

In any case, I think everyone can agree that it's a good thing the game has skins and accessories that are unlockable by playing normally. No microtransactions to be seen here. I know Nintendo has dipped their toes into the freemium/microstransaction arena with a few 3DS games and with their mobile stuff, but I'm glad they haven't jumped in 100%. At least somebody is still making complete games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

... And here Bowser is, winning a race on Peach's Royal Raceway, and who's cheering him on? Bless the little guy...

Fsp1Btih.jpg

Everyone's been added.

@angelgrievous I gave you Link's icon as you played with him last time, did you plan on using him every time? Also, are you available at the two suggested sessions?

@cjshaitan @Super-Fly Spider-Guy Which character do you play as in the game? Also, are you available at the two suggested sessions? They're kind of early for you, so if you want to suggest other times then by all means do, and I'll add them to the OP.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Everyone's been added.

@angelgrievous I gave you Link's icon as you played with him last time, did you plan on using him every time? Also, are you available at the two suggested sessions?

@cjshaitan @Super-Fly Spider-Guy Which character do you play as in the game? Also, are you available at the two suggested sessions? They're kind of early for you, so if you want to suggest other times then by all means do, and I'll add them to the OP.

Yeah, icon suits me just fine (until they add SolidSnake/BigBoss DLC) thank you, and yes, I will play on the times posted.  

Edited by angelgrievous

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Everyone's been added.

Inkling Girl.

And I just heard the news about what they patched out. That thing with her arm, apparently was an F you gesture. I thought it was a cutesy reference to the "We Can Do It" pro-feminism poster from way back when and thought it was a really cool little nod honestly, but nope. And then they patched it out like little bitches anyway. God damn, who cares? The middle finger isn't even up. Damn.

8 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

God damn it, of course you're going with one of the characters new to the Deluxe version of which nobody has posted the icon yet in a good way... *sigh* I'll see what I can do...

Well I was usually Link on Wii U. I think I liked being a tool and picking someone solely because they're not meant to be there. I'd be my Mii, if it didn't wear a helmet and proudly showed off it's pink hair.

9 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Inkling Girl.

And I just heard the news about what they patched out. That thing with her arm, apparently was an F you gesture. I thought it was a cutesy reference to the "We Can Do It" pro-feminism poster from way back when and thought it was a really cool little nod honestly, but nope. And then they patched it out like little bitches anyway. God damn, who cares? The middle finger isn't even up. Damn.

When I was a young whipper snapper these sort of things wouldn't cause any scuff.  Now, pfff, I don't even know.  

7 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Well I was usually Link on Wii U. I think I liked being a tool and picking someone solely because they're not meant to be there. I'd be my Mii, if it didn't wear a helmet and proudly showed off it's pink hair.

There you go...

6 minutes ago, DuckSwimmer said:

I'll join in! (:

I'm GMT - 4

I play as *drumroll* karon1.jpg

I'll just leave my friend code here since I don't mind who adds me.

3074-8759-1307 the name should come up as Lauren.

Nice, and welcome!

I'll add you here right away but due to the spoiler stuff in the other thread, it's easier if I wait there until next week. So you haven't been forgotten there, it's no mistake!

I'll add you on the Switch as well. Do you by any chance have time to game in the two planned sessions?

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nice, and welcome!

I'll add you here right away but due to the spoiler stuff in the other thread, it's easier if I wait there until next week. So you haven't been forgotten there, it's no mistake!

I'll add you on the Switch as well. Do you by any chance have time to game in the two planned sessions?

It's ok o/

And I should be able to make the one that's tomorrow. I also did notice a bit of a typo. For Sunday you have the 20th written instead of the 21st. It confused me for a few minutes lmao.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

9 minutes ago, DuckSwimmer said:

It's ok o/

And I should be able to make the one that's tomorrow. 

Cool, I added you.

P.S. Thank you for finding an icon, that's another new character of which the icon is not widely available!

9 minutes ago, DuckSwimmer said:

I also did notice a bit of a typo. For Sunday you have the 20th written instead of the 21st. It confused me for a few minutes lmao.

... No I don't.

• Like 1