is PS4 a quality system, even without PS+ service?

RJP_X

i avoid online play usually unless trophies are attached. and i'm in the least bit interested in the ps+ service and honestly it'd be a bit out of my price range, i have aspergers with really bad anxiety so i'm mostly home, never had a job, so i mostly rely on sales to get games. games like tales of berseria and the eventual ni no kuni 2 interest me. unfortunately xenoverse 2 interests me, but i might have to pass either completely, or for awhile at the start of getting the system. likely not getting the system till around christmas time anyways.

no AAA games really interest me that have or are releasing. but i'd like to play anime games that aren't on the vita/or ps3. the vita might still be able to keep my interest for a long time yet however with what it has, or is coming out. but PS3 is kinda running a bit thinner, as in nothing much more interesting to get for it besides Persona 5 obviously lol. although i still have a lot on deck for ps3 that could potentially interest me to try/return to.

so concern is if possibly the ps3 and vita can keep me going for yet another year, or if i should get a ps4 just in case ps3/and vita interest doesn't hold till christmas next year.

• Like 1

There are a ton of great single player games. Even if you do get desperate and want to play something online, there's a bunch of great f2p games that don't need plus lol.

On the other hand, you've stuck with 3 / Vita this long, you could probably still get some more mileage out of them. I know this hasn't been much help since it's basically what you already said but I figured I'd take a shot.

If you already have a PS3 and Vita then PS+ would be incredibly worth it simply due to the fact that it gives you 72 free games each year between all three systems. If you enjoy just two or three of those games then it's already a worthwhile investment and the rest is just a bonus.

But even without PS+, the PS4 is a great system. I only ever play multiplayer when I need to for a trophy and I still couldn't be happier with my PS4 thanks to all the amazing single-player games it has given me access to. So not being able to play multiplayer certainly wouldn't be an issue for me outside of trophy hunting.

I don't know how readily available it is where you live, but if money would be an issue then I'd recommend renting games instead of buying them. I rent most of the games I play, because if it weren't for that I'd barely be able to afford any. Assuming it gets a physical release, I'm able to enjoy any new game for less than 10% of their retail price. Although I tend to complete games fairly quickly and lose interest once I have, so it might not be the best option if you want to play games over a long period of time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

There are a ton of great single player games. Even if you do get desperate and want to play something online, there's a bunch of great f2p games that don't need plus lol.

On the other hand, you've stuck with 3 / Vita this long, you could probably still get some more mileage out of them. I know this hasn't been much help since it's basically what you already said but I figured I'd take a shot.

yeah but i have had ps3 since the end of 2011. xD on one hand, it took me 5 years to get one after launch. on the other hand if i got a ps4 this year that would be 4 years after launch, so maybeee i could wait a whole nother year after all. lol. also for some reason which seems to a helping factor is that it feels like this year is going by extra fast. and i still got a lot to potentially play. i've finished some games i've really wanted to, but not at the preferred speed. if i just wait another year i could take my time more lol.

43 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

Vita and ps3 has so  many games to offer where it's worth investing more of your time of playing both of them 

very true. especially the vita, its like the most surprisingly addicting system i've ever known and i've played a lot to offer for most systems, except xbox and computer.

36 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

If you already have a PS3 and Vita then PS+ would be incredibly worth it simply due to the fact that it gives you 72 free games each year between all three systems. If you enjoy just two or three of those games then it's already a worthwhile investment and the rest is just a bonus.

But even without PS+, the PS4 is a great system. I only ever play multiplayer when I need to for a trophy and I still couldn't be happier with my PS4 thanks to all the amazing single-player games it has given me access to. So not being able to play multiplayer certainly wouldn't be an issue for me outside of trophy hunting.

I don't know how readily available it is where you live, but if money would be an issue then I'd recommend renting games instead of buying them. I rent most of the games I play, because if it weren't for that I'd barely be able to afford any. Assuming it gets a physical release, I'm able to enjoy any new game for less than 10% of their retail price. Although I tend to complete games fairly quickly and lose interest once I have, so it might not be the best option if you want to play games over a long period of time.

yeah outside of multiplayer trophies i barely engage in online gaming, like one i played that didn't need boosting, although sort of fun modes was the last of us. but i felt quite intimidated playing through it, first time i dealt with negativity online with people on their mics. within my first play i was getting messages from players to please leave, then on the next map some guy with awful name calling. i stuck through it by muting my TV and playing some music lol. there's only one person i play games with online and even that's pretty rare. i'm mostly signed off psn when i play games lol. i don't feel comfortable getting on mics and being awful like a lot of people do these days, i'm to nervous to do that, let alone start bashing people online. lol.

Looking at your profile, you've barely even scratched the surface of the Vita and PS3's library. I'm sure there's plenty of games that you've overlooked that you could get for cheap. If you're tight on cash, I don't really see a point in buying a PS4 right now. It's still very much a growing library.

As for the question of whether or not the PS4 is a quality system without PS+, it is. As someone who doesn't play many online games either, I mainly just use it for cloud saves and discounts. The instant game collection isn't as good as it used to be. Sure, they give away plenty of smaller games, but you'll need to buy the games actually worth purchasing the system for.

It's certainly possible to enjoy almost all PS4 games without Plus.  There's a few out there that are very MP heavy, but it doesn't sound like you're interested in them anyway.  So, there's nothing wrong with going that way if you want to.  Ultimately no one else can really tell you what you should do... it's up to you.

1 hour ago, RJP_X said:

yeah outside of multiplayer trophies i barely engage in online gaming, like one i played that didn't need boosting, although sort of fun modes was the last of us. but i felt quite intimidated playing through it, first time i dealt with negativity online with people on their mics. within my first play i was getting messages from players to please leave, then on the next map some guy with awful name calling. i stuck through it by muting my TV and playing some music lol. there's only one person i play games with online and even that's pretty rare. i'm mostly signed off psn when i play games lol. i don't feel comfortable getting on mics and being awful like a lot of people do these days, i'm to nervous to do that, let alone start bashing people online. lol.

I hear you there!  I had heard things like this before about The Last of Us.  So, when I went after the MP trophies for it I just kept everyone muted (there was an option to mute when starting a game, at least on the PS4 version).  There's no reason to have to put up with that sort of nonsense if you don't want to.  And I didn't want to.  :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been getting into multiplayer recently but the PS4 is still solid for single play. Given that Sony are pretty much the go to JRPG company I imagine we'll have a lot of SP content to sink our teeth into over time as well. My little Vita-kun is precious to me but, unfortunately, he hasn't been getting the love he deserves recently. If you're running out of games on the older consoles it's a solid buy with or without PS+.

I am very content with the PS4. There are more than enough good single player games with no or few online trophies. Sony has one or two free multiplayer weekends per year in an attempt to lure in people to PSPlus, which is a good opportunity to finish a few online trophies needed for a plat.

I don't like online game play either.  I used to.

The PS4 is a great machine but it does want to connect to the internet for pretty much every game even if just to access leaderboards.  It's frankly quite annoying.  It also wants to check for licenses of downloaded games, also annoying.

I'd say stick with what you have until the hardware fails or you have exhausted the catalog.

If you're short of money then I'm surprised you aren't a PS+ member, you get dozens of games per year with it. I get that you can't choose the selection, and they may not all appeal to you, but generally they offer some sort of entertainment even if you've never heard of them.

Anyway, I think the PS4 is well worth it without PS+. Think of all the great single player games released this year alone.

Judging by your post I'd say stick to PC gaming if you want more anime games. Steam offers tons of them.

PS4 doesn't have a big library yet.

In terms of is it a good system, better than PS3 by far. Better graphics and loading time.

• Like 1