I realised I need to stop buying games, anyone else?

tpepper1985

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Of course I realised I need to stop playing games, I have at least 500 games in my backlog and yet I keep buying games (I just bought two new games actually :awesome:). I know I buy too many games and I know I buy a lot of games I'll probably never even get the time for to play but I still do it :P. I like buying new games, it's fun. As long as I'm having fun, I don't care :D.

500!? Wow and I thought my situation was out of hand haha! Do you buy physical or digital?

Edited by tpepper1985

Of course I won't be able to play everything I buy. I'm cutting down my PSN purchases since I tend to overlook digital games more often then physical ones. But I've been collecting (physical) games since 2009, and am at around 250 games ATM, which is like 30 games a year, or 2.5 games a month. I don't consider this a worrysome number at all, considering I spend much more money on basically anything else (housing, food, insurance, taxes etc) and this is a fraction of my budget. Also, I love the fact that I have a large selection to choose from and too see all them boxes neatly organised. Buying new games is one of the very few things I buy solely for myself for pleasure, the other one being books and sometimes comics.

Edited by fabmorais_2011
  • Like 3

There's nothing wrong with buying new games, even if you have a large backlog already. There's stuff I've bought years ago and haven't even touched yet. Maybe I never will. There's just too many good games out there that appeal to me. I don't think that's a bad thing. It supports the developers and makes it so I'll never run out of things to play. If nothing else, I like expanding my physical game collection. It's nice to look at. ^_^

• Like 2

Just now, fabmorais_2011 said:

Of course I won't be able to play everything I buy. I'm cutting down my PSN purchases since I tend to overlook digital games more often then physical ones. But i've been collecting (physical) games since 2009, and am at around 250 games ATM, which is like 30 games a year, or 2.5 games a month. I don't consider this a worrysome number at all, considering I spend much more money on basically anything else (housing, food, insurance, taxes etc) and this is a fraction of my budget. Also, I love the fact that I have a large selection to choose from and too see all them boxes neatly organised. Buying new games is one of the very few things I buy solely for myself for pleasure.

You make a good point, my own backlog is big but I very rarely spend 70 Euros on a game, most of mine are from sales and I will most often not spend more than 25 euros on a single game these days. Over those years maybe I was spending 50 a month and of course all the games from PS+. Compared to the other thousands of euros that go on shit you need to live it is only a small amount. 

Makes me feel better looking at it that way ;-)

Trying to stop here as well but I think it's finally working.

I do not wish to fully focus on my backlog, I just wish to play more than only the games I've recently obtained.

Current backlog:

PS4    11 games bought and 19 PS+ 
PS3    13 games bought and 35 PS+/free

For a total of 24 bought, and 54 PS+/free. About two years ago I was at around 80 titles bought, and I want to bring it farther down still. in the end on my X360, I had about 140 bought but unplayed games and I really did not want that to happen again after I switched to PlayStation.

Since the start of this year, I have bought:

PS3:

Digital sales:

only ICO and Shadow Of The Colossus.

PS4

Retail:

Deadpool (played through it right away and sold it to a different store who gave more for it, played it for €2)

The Last Guardian (crazy sale price for the collector's edition not long after it was released, played through right away)

Digital sales:

The Witcher III DLC (one played, the other one started)

Psychonauts (have not played through it yet)

Four Sided Fantasy (played through it right away)

Kung Fury (played through it right away)

Hue (played through it right away)

TYPE:RIDER (played through it right away)

INSIDE (played through it right away)

Full Throttle Remastered (played through it right away)

Uncharted Reastered Collection (played through it right away)

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate DLC (played through it right away)

From the €10 refund:

FEIST

Life Goes On

Late Shift (remainder went in here and it had a bit of a sale already)

Combined with the trading on of retail games, I have 'obtained' more on PS4 without having to pay for it though.

... And I bought loads of Switch stuff but my backlog there is only two games - Blaster Master Zero and World Of Goo. On the Switch, I try not to have more than two unfinished games at once, which is working for now but let's see what happens to me when the Virtual Console is up and running.

Also yeah, I'm Dutch as well.

Edited by BillyHorrible

1 minute ago, tpepper1985 said:

You make a good point, my own backlog is big but I very rarely spend 70 Euros on a game, most of mine are from sales and I will most often not spend more than 25 euros on a single game these days. Over those years maybe I was spending 50 a month and of course all the games from PS+. Compared to the other thousands of euros that go on shit you need to live it is only a small amount. 

Makes me feel better looking at it that way ;-)

I'm the same way. I don't recall spending 70 Euros on a game ever. There are very few games I buy on launch, and usually I do that only to support a localization effort (like Dragon Quest games). Even with my rare games from retro plataforms I always looked for the better deal, and don't remember going above the 70 Euros threshold.

Just now, xZoneHunter said:

You don't need to finish every game, you don't need to platinum every game. Did you fire something up and bored of it after 5 minutes? No big deal - play something else. You'll go through your backlog a lot quicker if you're playing with that mindset.

Spoken like someone with 57% completion. :awesome:

• Like 2

I am the same, don't think my backlog is as big as yours but I think I have a problem. I see a game on deal for like £5.00 and I have to buy it... but then I never play it. 

If anyone wants to add me on PSN from this thread, would be nice to sometimes catch up and see how getting along with backlogs.

My backlog includes the following but this is not everything:

Horizon

AC Black Flag

Lego City Undercover

Dead Space 1 and 2 

Lego Batman 3 

and much more... 

7 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

You don't need to finish every game, you don't need to platinum every game. Did you fire something up and bored of it after 5 minutes? No big deal - play something else. You'll go through your backlog a lot quicker if you're playing with that mindset.

I like the challange of getting the Platinum, if I skip the platinum it's usually down to multiple playthroughs of long games, or because I'm not good enough if it's a highly skill based game. Otherwise I'm going for 100% nearly always. The games I have are all worth at least seeing thorugh to the end imo. 

I tend to avoid buying games that require 100 hours to plat with a few exceptions. Playing Skyrim at the moment and I feel like it never ends! But I'm still enjoying it at least

Edited by tpepper1985
  • Like 2

I realized this too , and stopped adding new games to my backlog. 

But realized I still tend to buy new games when something exciting is up. So now I have created a folder on my PS4 named "Current Playlist" with maximum of 5 games in it at any given time.

So I only add something to it if I have to and strictly stick to this rule. Also for variety sake I mix the genres and keep atleast 1 PS+ game in the playlist. So far it has worked well.

7 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

5 minutes is hardly enough time to judge a game. It took me hours to get into Batman, but now I'm a big fan of that franchise.

Pushing through a game you initially dislike for the sake of completion can really help lead you to some hidden gems when you begin to appreciate the game more later on.

• Like 1

About what I said above (my physical collection), few months ago I was playing Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2, which I bought on 2011. Last year I played Final Fantasy, the 4 Heroes of Light for the DS, which I bought the same day as DQ VIII. When I got these games from my shelf, I remembered when and how I bought them and was glad I was finally playing them. This is just one of the reasons I like physical so much. I haven't the same "connection" with digital games, I think.

Edited by fabmorais_2011
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, madbuk said:

5 minutes is hardly enough time to judge a game. It took me hours to get into Batman, but now I'm a big fan of that franchise.

Pushing through a game you initially dislike for the sake of completion can really help lead you to some hidden gems when you begin to appreciate the game more later on.

Couldnt have said that better.

4 minutes ago, madbuk said:

1 minute ago, scuderia_tifosi said:

Highly agree with this. 

Yeah this is true, I mean most games have something to offer and I tend not to buy trash games, there's only a few I started and stopped in this manner best example being a game that came with my Vita: Little Deviants, screw that game

I own so many PS4 games and I only platinum one of them which was Senran Kagura Estival Versus. I was supposed to platinum Megadimension Neptunia VII but Hyperdevotion Noire's Platinum Run actually made me sick of playing neptunia games for awhile. It is also created a Domino Effect where I actually didn't want to play any of my PS4 games at all because I didn't want to invest too much of my time into any game because of how much Hyperdevotion Noire burned me out on games with its stupid lily rank trophies. Though I still bought games like Sword Art Online and Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force but I never play them. I don't even know why I continue buying games, probably because I thought I would play them in the future. Luckily I slowly went back to playing on my PS4 again thanks to Overwatch. Though now I mostly just play Love Live School Idol Festival on my phone but I am getting back into playing more and more PS4 games like I been playing a lot of Fate Extella and Phantom Breaker and I even went back to Megadimension Neptunia recently and I like it so far.

Edited by TheVader66

I realized that a long time ago. most of my back log was built during my days playing White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2 which total to a little over 2K hours between the two. Then FF XIV ARR is about to take up almost 3000 hours.

One day I'll get around to completing my 200+ game backlog, but until that comes, I'll continue to collect.