I realised I need to stop buying games, anyone else?

tpepper1985

i have that backlog problem, but i look at it at another way. i have plenty of variety to choose from for pretty much all genre of game that i might want to have.

though i always check how difficult a platinum or 100% is so i plan ahead (cant be having too many unearned trophy's) that messes with overall completion percentage.

the weeks with no sales is a breather to my backlog.

Edited by kingdrake2

28 minutes ago, damage_6-9 said:

Stats wise, if I was to pop my current average of 3.07 trophies per day, my backlog translates to 7,424.42 days or 20.34 years :)

Go for it! :D

13 minutes ago, Lars said:

Mine is huge as mentioned earlier. But i don't buy that many small titles. What i'll keep doing though is buying AAA games that get good reviews, that will never stop i think

The problem is, there are to many AAA games with good reviews. Also dangerous are those AAA games with a discount right after the release. They will support your backlog. ;D

Just now, tagiXD said:

The problem is, there are to many AAA games with good reviews. Also dangerous are those AAA games with a discount right after the release. They will support your backlog. ;D

I know. It is real though, i know already that when Prey comes on sale i will buy it for example, if it is a deep sale i maybe pick up Sniper Elite 4 as well

2 hours ago, madbuk said:

5 minutes is hardly enough time to judge a game. It took me hours to get into Batman, but now I'm a big fan of that franchise.

Pushing through a game you initially dislike for the sake of completion can really help lead you to some hidden gems when you begin to appreciate the game more later on.

If i have to force myself throught the first few hours to get to the good part id rather play something i find enjoyable from the beginning. But thats just me ofcourse.

1 hour ago, rdhight said:

I'm also in kind of a moratorium mode; it had become so tough to resist. There are so many arguments to buy, and it started to feel like too many of them were working on me. I bought the PS4 Humble Bundle because of it being a such a good opportunity, grabbed used copies of Mad Max and Doom at a good price, got into Paladins because it was free-to-play — it's always, "Ooh, I liked the last game by this company" or "Ooh, what a deal!" And then you look up and realize E3 is coming and there's a flash sale starting and it's always just going to be more, more, more.

Finally, I had to make myself stop for a while. I know I'm eventually going to play Persona 5 when its price drops, and I'll play Final Fantasy XV when its price drops (and it's as fixed as it's going to get). But until those things inevitably happen, I'm going to be digging out the backlog.

This is pretty much me in a nutshell. I am trying to make myself stop, and I think I'm getting there in baby steps. 

My backlog is way, WAY worse than the OP and I'm still working on my list, but it's already at 1100+ games without counting most of my physical collection. My Steam library would probably double that but I've given up on the PC platform. I know I'm never going to get anywhere close to Platinuming/100%ing even half of those games, so it's a good thing I don't care about my completion rate. 

My planned strategy is to evaluate as much of my library as I can by going through each game as long as is needed to get an impression (e.g. platforming games will probably take 5 minutes, while JRPGs might take 2 hours), and then decide if I want to abandon, complete the story, or go for Platinum/100%. My spreadsheet only includes the game name, platform, and if I've played it at all. I've already accepted that I won't get many trophies in the vast majority of them, so I don't see the need to include completion detail in the sheet. 

I'll probably create a thread and post my list (or at least the PlayStation part of it, right now it also includes Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS) once I have finished it, that way people can help me stay honest and I can post updates to stay motivated. 

39 minutes ago, Lars said:

I know. It is real though, i know already that when Prey comes on sale i will buy it for example, if it is a deep sale i maybe pick up Sniper Elite 4 as well

The price for Prey is already very good. Right after the release you're able to buy it for about 40 Euros. And the big pricedrop will come very soon I think.

Wait... people buy games to play them and complete them? I've been doing it wrong for so long.

I think we all need to stop buying games and just get through our infamous backlogs. It isn't going to happen, though.

Edited by Valyrious
missed a word

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Wait... people buy games to play them and complete them? I've been doing it wrong for so long.

No way! It's a lie, you know!?

Haha, Prey, 38 Euros incusive steelbook^^ get it.

Edited by tagiXD

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

I think we all need to stop buying games and just through our infamous backlogs. It isn't going to happen, though.

This can only happen if there wouldn't be any games coming out for a year, i doubt that will happen

Only used up so many hourse because of trophies and trying to do reidiculous things over and over. Without trophies there may never be a backlog...

For me, I'm purposely building up a backlog of game because I'm a generation "behind".  I don't have a PS4, and won't any time soon, so whenever PS3 or vita games go on sale that I like (I prefer physical) I grab them, before they become harder and harder to find.  Right now I have about 8ish games I haven't started yet.  Obviously not as much as someone else, so I"m comfortable buying new games.  My wishlist is probably another 20 games or so, still not too much.

• Like 1

Even though I only have 50 games on my account I have come to the realisation that I have to many games. I am currently striving for an higher completion rate but it seems like my backlog is only growing. In the last weeks I havent bought a game and I am very happy with my self. On to clearing my backlog :)

I decided a time ago that i would be buying in sales almost exclusively because of my gigantic backlog... I just had a look at my PS4 library, which amounts to 369 items. Excluding apps (12) and demos/betas (no way other than manually counting them, which i wont do) that would be reduced to... lets say 300 (and estimating the amount of demos/betas at 57 is very generous, so probably a little over 300)

My PS3 and VITA games i have (partially) cataloged at howlongtobeat, and the numbers there arent much smaller...

For PS3 there are 211 games, about 100 finished and 100 in my backlog.

On VITA there are a little over 100 games with only 14 completed (im almost exclusively playing my vita during my commute...)

And these numbers are not even correct, because i know i havent cataloged all my games...

So these are the approximate numbers:

PS4: 300

PS3: 200

VITA: 100

Amounting to about 600 games. Which is a little insane, now that i see the number for the first time myself...

So, as i said, i almost exclusively buy in sales, and even then almost only in deep sales. Meaning i rarely pay more than 20 to 25€ for a AAA and 10 to 15€ for smaller titles. Ok, i play games late, but i pay only a fraction, get the patched games without glitches (most times) and often get the game of the year or whatever edition. And i avoid buying a game at full price, never getting around to play it and then get frustrated because it winds up in a sale or even worse on PS+! And i rarely fall victim to the hypetrain...

I for example just finished DOOM, which i bought for 15€ i think...

I do make exceptions though, i bought, played and platted Horizon Zero Dawn at launch for example...

Following this policy i dont really regret buying more games, even when my backlog is still growing...

nowdays I only buying and playing small and easy to plat games, until at least finishing all the games i'm already working on include the ones in my backlog which most of them are RPG's

Hyperdimensions Neptunia Victory ( halted until I at least plat HDN mk2 )

Tales of Symphonia ( until at least finishing TOS dawn of the new world on all difficulties, hope to plat it too )

The Witcher 3 ( working on it )

World of Final Fantasy ( working on it )

Final Fantasy 15 ( accidentally started the game on my account, but probably will start playing it the next upcoming month, heard the platinum is actually easy )

GTAV PS4 ( not planning to plat it at all, already played it on ps3, so on the ps4 i'm playing it for the fun since the copy I played on the ps3 back then wasn't mine )

Don't wanna sound cliche in the matter but setting realistic goals, time management, and just dividing up games you want to play is a good start.

As a collector of Retro and new games alike I can safely say that I will not be complete my insane backlog, haha but completing all of them that shouldn't be your main worry, just play the one's you want and before you know it, a good portion will clear itself out.

• Like 1

When they stop releasing games I want, sure. But I'm fine with a backlog. I enjoy having a library of games only a few feet away from me. The only thing I want to fix is how many I've started and not finished the story of.

I'm really bad with binge spending on games as well. My backlog is massive currently, there's several games I own that I honestly don't see myself ever getting around to playing. There's just too many games I want to play, and not enough time to play them all. I do make a habit of only 100% completing games I actually enjoy enough to fully complete. I'd rather not waste my time going for a long winded platinum on a game that's just OK, I'd much rather spend that time starting a new game.

I own over 500 video games across my PS3, PS4, PS VITA, PS2, and PSP, the overwhelming majority being PS2/PS3 games. I have an ungodly amount of DLC as well.

I realized I have to stop buying games, too, but man that's a hard habit to break.

Edited by Tohru Kobayashi

I bought like 10 games last 2 months and i know i wont play em mbe. I hate sales on psn store xD ._. Atleast if i safe money 4 somethin i have games to play on. Since i own a ps 4 i never bought random games dat i would play maybe T_T

4 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

Final Fantasy 15 ( accidentally started the game on my account, but probably will start playing it the next upcoming month, heard the platinum is actually easy )

No kidding. The first two hours, the game practically shits around 30 trophies at you for playing the game. 

I'm kind of disappointed how much they simplified the trophies for that game. 

1 minute ago, Valyrious said:

No kidding. The first two hours, the game practically shits around 30 trophies at you for playing the game. 

I'm kind of disappointed how much they simplified the trophies for that game. 

lol! no wonder why :D every time my brother turn the game on, a message appears on the screen saying "a final fantasy for newcomers and first time players" guess they intentionally simplify everything in the game include the trophies /achievements, it said the hardest part in the game is a two optional bosses that you need to beat for the last two trophies to earn the platinum, some guides said even these two bosses aren't that hard when you reach level 100 or something.