Far Cry 5 Announcement Trailer

Azaan60

I hate to say it but it really does look good. I cut ties with Ubisoft after the abomination that was The Division along with the last entry in the FarCry series. Looks like I might find myself being dragged back two years later by my feet with this one...maybe. 

2 hours ago, Arkthur said:

Really? To me, it looks like one of the more realistics settings in the series so far.

I believe it is unrealistc. Doing something like that? On American soil? How long before the army would arrive guns blazing? On the contrary, the settings of the previous game can be explained

FC - Private facility on a secret island

FC2 - Civil War on a third world African County

FC3 - Modern pirates and smugglers on a island somewhere near Thailand

FC4 - Dictatorship on an Asian country

Edited by TheGwynbleidd

28 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

I believe it is unrealistc. Doing something like that? On American soil? How long before the army would arrive guns blazing? On the contrary, the settings of the previous game can be explained

FC - Private facility on a secret island

FC2 - Civil War on a third world African County

FC3 - Modern pirates and smugglers on a island somewhere near Thailand

FC4 - Dictatorship on an Asian country

You realize you play as a Cop who was sent to take the Cult down right? His strike force team gets captured by the cultists at the beginning of the game. Which is why you're alone. 

8 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

You realize you play as a Cop who was sent to take the Cult down right? His strike force team gets captured by the cultists at the beginning of the game. Which is why you're alone. 

Yeah, but I think something like that would require something bigger than a strike team and a federal cop.

Edited by TheGwynbleidd

27 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

And obviously he couldn't get any backup? 

I like the idea but to try and say it makes sense is dumb.

35 minutes ago, Dan_WatsonAU said:

And obviously he couldn't get any backup? 

I like the idea but to try and say it makes sense is dumb.

Well I mean look at Clearwater Town, that's a pretty infamous example of a town getting taken over by a cult. When Cult members manage to sneak into politics a lot of stuff can happen.

Edited by Azaan60
  • Like 1

It is completely possible that "Father" has some kind of leverage over people. Otherwise, not cultist would've skipped town already. I highly doubt that total supression would be the answer to this kind of situation in real life.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:30 PM, damon8r351 said:

Far Cry games tend to take place in locales where the civil order has either broke down or doesn't exist yet (as in Primal). Which is why I disagreed when people would say places like Australia would be a great setting: Australia is a first world nation and far too stable. What you need for a Far Cry game to work is a region where the gov't is nonexistent or so dysfunctional that it can't keep order and that a state of anarchy initially is more powerful than the force of order (hence Kyrat, Rook Island, Leboa-Sako/Bowa-Seko). Part of the campaign of these games is to help restore order, at least in 3 and 4. So seeing as this game takes place in the U.S., my theory is that one of three things is happening in the game:

1. This takes place in a dystopia. Either alt-history, or in the near future. Some sort of civil war has taken place or is progress, hence why the traditional chaotic Far Cry sort of setting is present in a stable, first-world nation. This is what I wish is happening.
  2. This takes place in the modern day, in this universe, and the developers are taking a suspension-of-disbelief killing amount of artistic license, placing the traditional Far Cry setting in a stable first world country. Realistically, there's no way any stable gov't would allow the sort of situation and in the same scale that's normally seen in a Far Cry game to develop without doing something about it. That's something you normally see in the third world. This is probably what's actually going to happen.
  3. This takes place on a much smaller scale than we've seen before. Maybe only a farm or a large compound. Like for instance, David Koresh's compound. This is probably not what's happening.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how this ends up working out.

Really looking forward to it and good points, but  the differences between #1 and #2 really aren't that big in a video game world.  Look at Grand Theft Auto IV (NYC) or V (LA).  They took place in a modern day world (#2) but with all the leaps of faith, we were essentially in a chaotic, alt-history world #1.  No way the they could get away anywhere near that level of carnage.  So yeah, there will need to be a healthy dose of disbelief.

This trailer/setting looks really good.  I may have to buy at launch and I seldom do that these days.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Azaan60 said:

Well I mean look at Clearwater Town, that's a pretty infamous example of a town getting taken over by a cult. When Cult members manage to sneak into politics a lot of stuff can happen.

Yeah but in the case of Far Cry your a cop who's team have been taken out. Rather than going on a one man rampage why not just drive to the next county and get help? 

17 minutes ago, Dan_WatsonAU said:

Yeah but in the case of Far Cry your a cop who's team have been taken out. Rather than going on a one man rampage why not just drive to the next county and get help? 

I'd hate to play the "It's a video game" card but...

It'd be a pretty boring game if all you had to do was just call in more backup and sit at a stand still for multiple days until the whole place goes up in flames.

Edited by angelgrievous
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

It'd be a pretty boring game if all you had to do was just call in more backup and sit at a stand still for multiple days until the whole place goes up in flames.

What in the Waco, Texas are you talking about?!? B)

• Like 2

On 31/05/2017 at 9:25 AM, angelgrievous said:

I understand that I was replying to the 'this is a more believable story comment' 

So far I have not seen anything that makes me think it's anything but another FarCry

I.e the start of the game is fun, after about 10 hours you have all the good guns and it turns into a grindfest of collectibles and repeating the same shit over and over. By the end your begging for it to be over. This is how I found FC3/4 and Primal anyway.

Hopefully they have changed up the formula somehow because I will skip it if it's the same old same old.

• Like 1