LGBTQ+

iAlphaSoldier

Just to get some more actual on topic posting: My real name is not Billy but I've been using it for so long I reflexively react to it in real life just like I would to my given name. I'm a guy, I'm in my early thirties, I'm from the Netherlands and I've been gaming since the SNES and DOS days.

I don't know what specific mix-breed of sexuality I am, I'm somewhere in that "+" of LBGT+. Since liking women is heavily in the mix, it's always been easy for me to pretend I'm just a vanilla straight guy to the outside world; on the uni there was one female friend with whom I started talking about stuff like this and these days my wife knows a lot, and a couple of close friends know that at least I'm not fully straight.

On LBGT+ in games: ME and an AC character were already mentioned. There's a male to female transgender in Watch_Dogs 2, there are gay side characters in (off the top of my head) Horizon Zero Dawn, GTA IV... Trevor from GTA V is either bisexual or pansexual, with Shovel Knight you have the gender swap option (my first run was on the regular game, but on NG+ I have made Shovel/Shield a bromance), there are three gay/bi characters in The Last Of Us...

On the topic of topics... If anyone feels like creating a glutenfree thread, I know some killer recipes as my wife is allergic and I like to cook.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

That's quite an interesting question...sadly and embarrassingly, despite it being in the title, never even noticed Tony was gay...haha...the gta iv is one of the best singleplayer add-ons I've come across to date and particularly for the time in which it was released...gonna have to play through it again now...

Do you have any more examples of lgbtq characters?...I'm wondering how many other games I played in complete oblivion...

Well Kanji in Persona 4 was definitely repressing some stuff. Actually he was one of the more interesting characters as I am sure there are a lot of highschool students who go through the same feelings/confusions he did.

Also my Skyrim character was a gay lizard man...but that was mostly because I was trying to get the marriage trophy and the first person I talked to was a man and he married me. So there is that ^_^

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rach said:

Leonardo Da Vinci in Assassin's Creed.  I'm not sure if it was ever explicitly stated, but it was definitely alluded to.  Also, I believe Walter and Matthew in Season 2 of the Walking Dead game were a gay couple.

Oh God, I completely forgot about him and I just finished the game yesterday :D Yeah, he refers to the courtesans as being "mutual friends" of him and Antonio but the way he looks at Ezio I'm sure there's something going on^^ Speaking of the game, Antonio seemed a little bi-curious or something as well. His hand gestures seemed kinda gay to me (in the good way, obviously). By gay I mean stereotypical for a gay man. The only time it is insinuated that he's been sexual with a woman was when he was drunk during Sequence 9 or so when he's at Sister Theodora's establishment.

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

On the topic of topics... If anyone feels like creating a glutenfree thread, I know some killer recipes as my wife is allergic and I like to cook.

Apologies for being off topic to this particular thread, but if you're interested we have a cooking/baking thread on the forum :)  I'm vegetarian, although the meals I've been cooking of late have been predominantly vegan and gluten free, so I'd definitely appreciate some of the recipes.  Don't worry if they are not vegetarian, I can make substitutions

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Just to get some more actual on topic posting: My real name is not Billy but I've been using it for so long I reflexively react to it in real life just like I would to my given name. I'm a guy, I'm in my early thirties, I'm from the Netherlands and I've been gaming since the SNES and DOS days.

I don't know what specific mix-breed of sexuality I am, I'm somewhere in that "+" of LBGT+. Since liking women is heavily in the mix, it's always been easy for me to pretend I'm just a vanilla straight guy to the outside world; on the uni there was one female friend with whom I started talking about stuff like this and these days my wife knows a lot, and a couple of close friends know that at least I'm not fully straight.

On LBGT+ in games: ME and an AC character were already mentioned. There's a male to female transgender in Watch_Dogs 2, there are gay side characters in (off the top of my head) Horizon Zero Dawn, GTA IV... Trevor from GTA V is either bisexual or pansexual, with Shovel Knight you have the gender swap option (my first run was on the regular game, but on NG+ I have made Shovel/Shield a bromance), there are three gay/bi characters in The Last Of Us...

Welcome to the club, my friend :)

• Like 1

I guess I'll poke in here as well.  I just go by Alt, AW or Alternate, whatever.  I'm also somewhere in the "+" as I identify as gender non-binary.  But I use "he/him/his" pronouns.  I just started trophy hunting around, oh, sometime last year as I finally finished up school.  I mainly play RPGs/VNs.

As for the earlier discussion about LGBT characters, Yosuke from P4 was originally supposed to be a romance option.  I'm really sad he's not since I really liked his interaction with the protagonist. That's all I can think off off the top of my head, other than Kanji, as mentioned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

Oh God, I completely forgot about him and I just finished the game yesterday :D Yeah, he refers to the courtesans as being "mutual friends" of him and Antonio but the way he looks at Ezio I'm sure there's something going on^^ Speaking of the game, Antonio seemed a little bi-curious or something as well. His hand gestures seemed kinda gay to me (in the good way, obviously). By gay I mean stereotypical for a gay man. The only time it is insinuated that he's been sexual with a woman was when he was drunk during Sequence 9 or so when he's at Sister Theodora's establishment.

As you've played Unity too I thought I'd mention the Marquis De Sade :)  

I am bi, 23, from South Africa. When I was a teenager I dated a couple girls and my parents were really not bothered by it at all. Legislatively SA is probably the most LGBT African country (which says almost nothing, but gay marriage is legal and not punishable by death like in parts of Nigeria etc.) but there's still a lot of pressure from certain more traditional spheres of society pushing back against non-normative things.

Living in the US for a few years attitudes actually seem slightly worse than in my SA social circle. I've been studying in Kentucky, home of Kim Davis and one of the many states to be forced into recognizing same sex marriage by the federal government. There's a lot of ignorance here, which probably isn't worse than living out in the South African bush but is certainly more prevalent than living among wealthier South Africans in the city. I'm moving to Canada in a few weeks which seems like a nice place for LGBT, but admittedly it's not a huge concern any more as I am engaged to a man. When people talk about bi-privilege this is probably the kind of thing they are referring to.

(Obligatory thing that I forgot to mention: same sex marriage is far from the only yardstick of progress with regard to LGBT rights, but it is one of the most visible and easily identified, there are a lot of aspects, especially with regard to trans people, that fly under the radar legislatively and receive vicious backlash even in some of the most advanced countries. So I'm really just using SSM as a quick snapshot of the attitudes I've experienced.)

For my favorite LGBT relationship in a game, I'd have to say Chloe and Max from Life is Strange resonated with me the most. It very much feels like sort of an experimental relationship for Max, while I got the sense Chloe was bisexual to some extent. Even more importantly, it was a relationship where as the player you got to set the boundaries and figure out if an undercurrent of romance was appropriate for the two. I have a lot of problems with the ending of the game, but absolutely loved this aspect.

Edited by Andrea
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

Well, @ProfBambam55 the only other two that come to mind is Assassin's Creed Syndicate with Ned Wynert who's a transman (but never really referred to as one)

And Jacob was also confirmed to be bisexual by Ubisoft, but not that it has a huge part in the story.

Edited by ShadowStar83x

1 minute ago, Rach said:

As you've played Unity too I thought I'd mention the Marquis De Sade :)  

Ah, Marquis, the lovely man who loves writing about bestiality and lecherous priests. He has a thing for Elise as well, which Arno didn't seem to like :D

Coming to think of it, in GTA III aren't Maria and that other woman dating as well? It was ages ago that I played it on PC, but I think there was something with those two.

Since Sims 2 you can also make your characters "whoo hoo" with every gender you want.

2 minutes ago, ShadowStar83x said:

And Jacob was also confirmed to be bisexual by Ubisoft, but not that it has a huge part in the story.

He was? I haven't noticed that at all :o Can't believe my gaydar betrayed me :D

42 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

Well, @ProfBambam55 the only other two that come to mind is Assassin's Creed Syndicate with Ned Wynert who's a transman (but never really referred to as one) and another GTA game with Vice City Stories. The latter featured a trans character as well, though not very well imo. A side character there who gives you a couple of missions was gender fluid and kept getting reassignment surgeries (changing back and forth with male and female body characteristics). But seeing as GTA isn't really known for being politically correct, I can look past that (was a good game regardless).

I've never really played Mass Effect, but yeah, that game really does seem to be great and being able to literally screw everyone and everything is an added bonus :D

Then there's this character:

896fdfd48ee3e99bc29fa38aa1a44bf5.jpg

4 minutes ago, MilanYildirim said:

What the hell do Q and + stand for? 1f914.png I swear, last time l checked it was only LGBT. Man, it's getting hard and harder to keep up with the society.

If that confuses you, I'm sorry to tell you that even that is the abbreviated version. The official one is LGBTQQIP2SAA :D

It stands for:

Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Pansexual, 2 Spirit, Asexual and Allies

Even that doesn't cover the whole spectrum, so that what the + is for.

7 minutes ago, MilanYildirim said:

What the hell do Q and + stand for? 1f914.png I swear, last time l checked it was only LGBT. Man, it's getting hard and harder to keep up with the society.

Questioning and then the + I think is for all the categories that are still out there

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Questioning and then the + I think is for all the categories that are still out there

To my knowledge questioning includes those who aren't sure what label fits them yet and just generally question their current gender/orientation. But I might be wrong.

2 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

If that confuses you, I'm sorry to tell you that even that is the abbreviated version. The official one is LGBTQQIP2SAA :D

It stands for:

Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Pansexual, 2 Spirit, Asexual and Allies

Even that doesn't cover the whole spectrum, so that what the + is for.

Well, in order to be crystal clear l am not a homophonic person. I don't care about anybody's sexual orientation and l believe people should be with whoever they love etc but this is getting really annoying to me. I mean, there were times l was accused of being arrogant because there were some terms l wasn't familiar with. Don't get me wrong, overgeneralization sucks, l am aware of that. Just wanted to get it off from my chest. 
Anyway, l hope that thread will come handy for those who want to meet people from LGBT community.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Tbh, l think it hit a point that people randomly generated randomly sexual oriantations.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MilanYildirim said:

Well, in order to be crystal clear l am not a homophonic person. I don't care about anybody's sexual orientation and l believe people should be with whoever they love etc but this is getting really annoying to me. I mean, there were times l was accused of being arrogant because there were some terms l wasn't familiar with. Don't get me wrong, overgeneralization sucks, l am aware of that. Just wanted to get it off from my chest. 
Anyway, l hope that thread will come handy for those who want to meet people from LGBT community.

Tbh, l think it hit a point that people randomly generated randomly sexual oriantations.

I get what you mean. The thing is there are so many different possibilities out there and because labels are important to some people they think of a name what their specific situation/feelings represent. I also get that they want their thing added to our community because if this community doesn't recognize them, then who else will? It is just about wanting to belong somewhere and being respected. I don't even know half the terms in the community and I don't have to know them. Recognizing someone's identity isn't a hard thing to do and it makes the person happy and feel validated so why not make that person happy if it is that easy?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

People are fixated on putting labels on everything. I don't really care if there's actually a name for what I have, doesn't change the way I feel. I hate it when people come up with stuff like "flexitarian". Damnit, you're just an omnivore who doesn't eat meat that often, was that so hard to say?

Exactly, keep it simple and don't unleash your rage on me when l don't know about the stuff l don't care about lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShadowStar83x said:

I wonder why they would even say that if it wasn't a real part of the story. I didn't really get that vibe from him at all.

7 minutes ago, skateak said:

I wonder why they would even say that if it wasn't a real part of the story. I didn't really get that vibe from him at all.

(Harry Potter spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

I always felt it was rather weird that J.K Rowling came out long after the books had all been released to say Dumbledore was gay. I mean it was kinda of hinted at in the seventh book I guess with all the Grindelwald stuff. Almost felt like she just wanted to appear inclusive because there weren't really many gay characters in her books at all, and I imagine this is the case with Ubisoft as well. Basically free brownie points, although it feels rather cheap. She had 7 books to flesh out Dumbledore's character, and she did a great job, but I wish we could've had more about his life before Hogwarts.

I say this as a massive Harry Potter fan, mind you, my favourite book franchise, but... it feels so unnecessary to come out after the series has ended just to say a character is gay. What's the point if you didn't want to cover it in your 7 lengthy books?

12 minutes ago, skateak said:

Because to be honest there is money or good will to be made from it. Companies do that all the time, they are too scared to actually put it in their product as they don't want to offend anyone so they will backdoor it in so people can be like "Oh Ubisoft cares, I will support them".

It is like when JK Rowling admitted that Dumbledore was gay after all the books/movies came out. That was literally never hinted at in the book but she said it because it could potentially increase sales in the LGBT community. I know my sister's LGBT group at her high school started a huge Harry Potter campaign after it was announced to get people to see it as a "win" for Gay Rights. (Once again it was never even mentioned once in the any of the books).

4 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Hide contents

I always felt it was rather weird that J.K Rowling came out long after the books had all been released to say Dumbledore was gay. I mean it was kinda of hinted at in the seventh book I guess with all the Grindelwald stuff. Almost felt like she just wanted to appear inclusive because there weren't really many gay characters in her books at all, and I imagine this is the case with Ubisoft as well. Basically free brownie points, although it feels rather cheap. She had 7 books to flesh out Dumbledore's character, and she did a great job, but I wish we could've had more about his life before Hogwarts.

I say this as a massive Harry Potter fan, mind you, my favourite book franchise, but... it feels so unnecessary to come out after the series has ended just to say a character is gay. What's the point if you didn't want to cover it in your 7 lengthy books?

LOL, I was literally typing my post as you posted yours...great minds and all that ^_^

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skateak said:

2 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's called a Rule Abiding Rebel, and it's annoying.

My gaydar must be better than the one @iAlphaSoldier has because I got a huge bi vibe from Jacob :)

Also, forgot to mention it but Unravel actually features a lesbian couple in one of the levels, without them making a big deal about it.

• Like 1