LGBTQ+

iAlphaSoldier

45 minutes ago, ShadowStar83x said:

I think it's because of what happens at the end of sequence 8. 

Hmm. I got the plat about 8 months ago but I don't recall what happens. Looks like I am Youtubeing it.

Edited by skateak

5 hours ago, RabbiAndy said:

I'm bisexual and I don't see the point of this thread. You want to make a point that this is a safe area to discuss LGBTQ+ topics without harassment which implies such harassment is warranted throughout the rest of the forum (which it isn't). Regardless, if some of you like the idea of this thread by all means keep posting here but I feel it's pretty useless.

It implies that the rest of the forum isn't the place to discuss LGBTQ+ topics. You don't post about cooking in the LEGO thread either.

• Like 3

There's also that girl from Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sera I think her name was, the elf girl with the bow and arrow, as far as I recall, she only likes females? In particular, elf females... I think was her preference? Can't recall off the top of my head which race she likes more though.

On 2017-5-28 at 9:43 PM, RisingSenpai616 said:

Like if I posted in a random discussion thread about how there's a girl I liked who it turned out wasn't into girls and how I'm dealing with that it would be awkward and kind of derailing. Here it's perfectly on topic and I know people can lend advice on how to move past that because they might have gone through something similar. Not that that's the case, I'm perfectly happy being single for the moment, thank you very much. But, yeah, it gives you an obvious place to vent rather than feeling like it'd be out of place somewhere else. :) 

Something that's on my mind from time to time: how hard must it be for homosexuals (of either gender) to start flirting with someone?

For a straight(/bi/+) guy/girl, flirting with the other gender can be easy or tough depending on your own experiences but a "sorry, I'm gay" reply isn't that big a hit usually. Now seeing as most people either are straight, or at least think they are straight, unless you have a good gaydar then odds are pretty high on a few awkward situations, especially as many straight people are not that comfortable with non-straight sexualities (ignoring the obvious straight guys liking bisexual women jokes). Must've been even worse a decade or two ago.

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Something that's on my mind from time to time: how hard must it be for homosexuals (of either gender) to start flirting with someone?

For a straight(/bi/+) guy/girl, flirting with the other gender can be easy or tough depending on your own experiences but a "sorry, I'm gay" reply isn't that big a hit usually. Now seeing as most people either are straight, or at least think they are straight, unless you have a good gaydar then odds are pretty high on a few awkward situations, especially as many straight people are not that comfortable with non-straight sexualities (ignoring the obvious straight guys liking bisexual women jokes). Must've been even worse a decade or two ago.

I think this is one of the few cases where men actually have it harder than women. Thinking back to when I dated exclusively women (and didn't know I was a guy yet, meaning being lesbian) it was quite easy with flirting. Women usually take it as a compliment when flirting with them, even if they are straight, as long as you aren't a creep about it. With men it's very different, because the generic straight guy is very insecure with their masculinity. For some reason, they take a guy hitting on them as something bad instead of a compliment that someone thinks they're are attracitve.

The situation nowadays still is far from perfect for LGBT people, but it's gotten way better than it was a decade ago.

1 minute ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

I think this is one of the few cases where men actually have it harder than women. Thinking back to when I dated exclusively women (and didn't know I was a guy yet, meaning being lesbian) it was quite easy with flirting. Women usually take it as a compliment when flirting with them, even if they are straight, as long as you aren't a creep about it. With men it's very different, because the generic straight guy is very insecure with their masculinity. For some reason, they take a guy hitting on them as something bad instead of a compliment that someone thinks they're are attracitve.

The situation nowadays still is far from perfect for LGBT people, but it's gotten way better than it was a decade ago.

Yeah, my thoughts as well (it was late when I wrote that though, thought at the end that I was forgetting to add something but couldn't remember what it was again). Men definitely have it harder in this case, heterosexual men are much more biased to homosexual men than heterosexual women are towards homosexual women. You often hear about the "lesbian college phase" but you'll never hear about a guy experimenting like that unless they are honestly bi/+ (or thought they were until they tried it). I think it's women who coined the term "heteroflexible".

Side note: I used to joke that I'm a lesbian in a man's body, though now I know there's too much man in me (har har) for that to be true. There was a weird time for me though, when I was the one who wasn't into cars or soccer but I was the one going shopping with mom and watching Richard Gere / Julia Roberts movies. These days it's easier, with stereotypes being just that.

• Like 1

(not sure if it's relevant but am a straight guy) i've been hit on a couple times by other men over the years...i just responded with "i'm flattered but sorry, i'm married/already with someone" (i've rarely ever been single since i was a teen)...also would have to agree that women tend to be less bothered by appearing homosexual as men seem to be...why is it that my instinct is to say that it would be considered more offensive to call a man feminine than a woman masculine?...and why would it bother anyone at all?...strange that i almost subconsciously have such judgments...is it the wannabe macho environment i've been raised in/surrounded myself with/society portrays?...anyone have any thoughts?...are there such underlying judgments/stereotypes in the lgbt+ communities?...to me it would seem that some men or women go out of their way to appear as almost "too gay"...pardon the expression, not sure how else to word it...is it possibly the equivalent insecurity of say a straight homophobic man?...or am i just imagining, missing something, and way off here?...

Edited by ProfBambam55

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah, my thoughts as well (it was late when I wrote that though, thought at the end that I was forgetting to add something but couldn't remember what it was again). Men definitely have it harder in this case, heterosexual men are much more biased to homosexual men than heterosexual women are towards homosexual women. You often hear about the "lesbian college phase" but you'll never hear about a guy experimenting like that unless they are honestly bi/+ (or thought they were until they tried it). I think it's women who coined the term "heteroflexible".

Side note: I used to joke that I'm a lesbian in a man's body, though now I know there's too much man in me (har har) for that to be true. There was a weird time for me though, when I was the one who wasn't into cars or soccer but I was the one going shopping with mom and watching Richard Gere / Julia Roberts movies. These days it's easier, with stereotypes being just that.

I think that's because women are more affectuous towards each other by default. Straight women hug when they meet their friends, give a kiss on the cheek or other things of that nature. Men rarely do that because it is perceived "feminine", which is idiotic. Everything in our world has a gender assigned to it and some men are scared of doing anything that society has put a feminine label on.

3 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

(not sure if it's relevant but am a straight guy) i've been hit on a couple times by other men over the years...i just responded with "i'm flattered but sorry, i'm married/already with someone" (i've rarely ever been single since i was a teen)...also would have to agree that women tend to be less bothered by appearing homosexual as men seem to be...why is it that my instinct is to say that it would be considered more offensive to call a man feminine than a woman masculine?...and why would it bother anyone at all?...strange that i almost subconsciously have such judgments...is it the wannabe macho environment i've been raised in/surrounded myself with/society portrays?...anyone have any thoughts?...are there such underlying judgments/stereotypes in the lgbt+ communities?...to me it would seem that some men or women go out of their way to appear as almost "too gay"...pardon the expression, not sure how else to word it...is it possibly the equivalent insecurity of say a straight homophobic man?...or am i just imagining, missing something, and way off here?...

I don't know to be honest, so everything I could say about it would just be an assumption. From what I could tell by meeting "too gay" people is that it's sort of a coping mechanism for having had to hide who they were for so long. Maybe it is their insecurity though, I don't know. Maybe someone who falls into the category can give their 2 cents about it here.

3 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

2 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

I think that's because women are more affectuous towards each other by default. Straight women hug when they meet their friends, give a kiss on the cheek or other things of that nature. Men rarely do that because it is perceived "feminine", which is idiotic. Everything in our world has a gender assigned to it and some men are scared of doing anything that society has put a feminine label on.

I don't know to be honest, so everything I could say about it would just be an assumption. From what I could tell by meeting "too gay" people is that it's sort of a coping mechanism for having had to hide who they were for so long. Maybe it is their insecurity though, I don't know. Maybe someone who falls into the category can give their 2 cents about it here.

I'm not "flamboyant" but personally I think that it has to do with making a counter-statement to the "only straight is normal" idea of the general society, at least partially. I used to frequent a gay bar with a female friend - her reason was that she could dance without getting her ass grabbed, my reason was that I could order a cocktail without being looked at weird, since men were supposed to drink beer and like it. Thankfully these days I have the Hard Rock Café, where nobody bats an eye when I order a Hurricane, a Fruitapalooza or a Red Berry Press to go with my California Burger.

Come to think of it, talking about making counter-statements, the first time I kissed with another male we were doing so just because a female in the group with us was claiming how disgusting the thought of male homosexuality was. Basically we looked at each other and knew right away how to shut her up.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

Oh no, are they ok now or are they in hospital (or worse)?

At least one of the two was a foreigner on a holiday, he's back in his own country now but can't work yet, the other guy had to be treated by a jaw surgeon because multiple teeth had been punched out.

This just two months after two men have been assaulted with a boltcutter (!) for walking hand in hand, again resulting in one of them missing several teeth now... After that, most of the country was outraged and men started walking hand in hand to show solidarity, but evidently it won't be the last time a gay couple has been attacked.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/06/dutch-men-hand-in-hand-solidarity-gay-couple-attacked

26 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

At least one of the two was a foreigner on a holiday, he's back in his own country now but can't work yet, the other guy had to be treated by a jaw surgeon because multiple teeth had been punched out.

This just two months after two men have been assaulted with a boltcutter (!) for walking hand in hand, again resulting in one of them missing several teeth now... After that, most of the country was outraged and men started walking hand in hand to show solidarity, but evidently it won't be the last time a gay couple has been attacked.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/06/dutch-men-hand-in-hand-solidarity-gay-couple-attacked

It's sickening what people do just because someone is different. 

But the solidarity so many others have shown there is heartwarming ?

Attacking anyone over superficial differences is so silly...unfortunately, the fear of things that are different still causes aggression in modern times...

an off topic anecdote: i lived in a conservative area of japan for many years where gay men publicly showing any kind of affection is taboo and non-japanese people are scarce...I was walking to work one day and saw two guys holding hands heading towards me...as we got nearer, all of us stopped and did a double take...it was like "wow, two guys holding hands in public" and "wow, a gaijin (foreigner)"...we all eyed each other due to the rarity of such an occurrence, did the whole head nod-"konnichiwa" thing, and continued on our way...for the record, no one was hurt...haha...sorry, pointless story...recent comments reminded me of this...

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe some of you have heard that PlayStation has sponsored this year's Pride parade in London that happend past weekend.

Since then you can get a a free Pride theme for your PS4 in the European PSN Store (so far I couldn't find it in the NA store).

Just thought I'd let you all know in case you wanna snag that up.

1 hour ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

Maybe some of you have heard that PlayStation has sponsored this year's Pride parade in London that happend past weekend.

Since then you can get a a free Pride theme for your PS4 in the European PSN Store (so far I couldn't find it in the NA store).

Just thought I'd let you all know in case you wanna snag that up.

Thank you! ? I was looking for this theme. And I couldn't find it on the US or South Africa PSN store.

Will log onto the UK PSN store to download it.

• Like 1