LGBTQ+

iAlphaSoldier

• 3 weeks later...

Another disappointing stand by the Australian government again today to delay the path for gay marriage and cost the Australian tax payer millions of dollars in a ridiculous plebiscite. Thankfully the senate will probably block this again and perhaps next time the government can actually make a decision on what is such a non issue in this country.  Meanwhile another great message has been sent to the young LGTBQ people of Australia. And one wonders why they are the highest prone to suicide in this country.

Perhaps it's time to move to Canada permanently  ...................

Edited by CjShai
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, my wife's parents have just returned home from their holiday. My mother-in-law had something to complain about a male gay couple who stayed on one of the campings a few spots removed from them. She started her complaint with "Now, I don't have anything against gay people, everyone should be free to do whatever they want if they don't mistreat others, and several of my co-workers are gay, but..."

Which leads me to ask the following question: Anyone else notice that if someone starts a sentence with "I don't have anything against gay people", the longer it takes for them to get to the "but" part of the sentence, the less the complaint will actually have anything to do with said people being gay and the more it seems like the complaint is only there because said people are gay? Whoop-tee-doo, they take two hours to get ready for going on a trip to a nearby town, I've seen a straight couple do the same (worse, actually) on my last holiday.

... In gaming news, I've been enjoying Elite Dangerous a lot. I bought the disc version, which comes with the season pass and 1K credits in the microtransactions store, which basically is customisation of the looks of your ship with paint jobs, icons and the likes.

... Long story short, the ship I use I've called the "Dragonfly", it's deep purple now and it has pink exhaust glow and fumes.

Because I can. B)

Spoiler

sTBfYRV.jpg

xqy1AN7.jpg

On 7-8-2017 at 11:29 AM, CjShai said:

Another disappointing stand by the Australian government again today to delay the path for gay marriage and cost the Australian tax payer millions of dollars in a ridiculous plebiscite. Thankfully the senate will probably block this again and perhaps next time the government can actually make a decision on what is such a non issue in this country.  Meanwhile another great message has been sent to the young LGTBQ people of Australia. And one wonders why they are the highest prone to suicide in this country.

Perhaps it's time to move to Canada permanently  ...................

... Or move to Holland! :D

Gay marriage is allowed here, and while the country itself isn't that interesting (to me), there's loads of interesting European countries just a short drive or plane ride away.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

... In gaming news, I've been enjoying Elite Dangerous a lot. I bought the disc version, which comes with the season pass and 1K credits in the microtransactions store, which basically is customisation of the looks of your ship with paint jobs, icons and the likes.

Hide contents

I have seen you playing this a bit and it has peaked my interest. Sounds like you recommend it, might have to look into it. ?

Will leave this here, definitely worth reading regardless of how you fall on this issue. It is coming to a head in Australia and it is great to read a very well written piece aimed at helping the other side come to terms.

Plebiscite.jpg?resize=1080%2C565

The plebiscite is coming. It’s not the one we were told we’d be having (then told we were not having) but it is still a chance for us to make our opinion on whether same-sex marriage should be legalised known. Now that it has been decided that it’s happening, lobby groups and people with opinions all over the country are gearing up for a fight. For those of us who are Christians, how we engage with this is important; we can either help the cause of Jesus or hinder it. So here are four ideas for Christians about how we can do this plebiscite well.

Don’t say horrible things about other humans

No matter where you stand, there’s a very good chance that all of us are going to be tempted to say mean things about other people – whether they identify as LGBTQI, as a conservative Christian, a progressive Christian, a politician, a combination of these, or something else entirely. Facebook is already full of people debating the value, or lack thereof, of this plebiscite. All the people you interact with, and speak about, whether in broad generalisations or in very specific terms, are made in the image of God, they are loved by him, and Jesus died for them. Treat them for who they are. They are God’s and he will take your treatment of them personally.

Particularly watch how you speak about people from the LGBTQI community, especially if, like me, you’re a Christian who is not from this community yourself and therefore may not know what you’re talking about and probably cannot speak on their behalf. You may say something deeply hurtful out of ignorance more than malice, but whatever your motives or intentions, you are still responsible for your words. Be careful. How should you be careful? I’ll show you a most excellent way…

Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry

In case you’re wondering, that’s a quote from James 1:19. What if our first response to someone who disagrees with us either online or IRL was “Tell me more”, “I don’t know enough about this, help me understand”, or “Thank you, I hadn’t thought of things that way.” Chances are whatever you want to say has already been said, so you probably don’t need to say it again, they’ve heard it before. But what if you were known as someone who listened, someone who was thoughtful, and someone who was not easily baited. That’s probably better than being known as someone who thinks they’re right, and tells everyone else why they’re right, and how everyone can be right like them.

If you’re going to vote, don’t be proud of how you are going to vote

You may be tempted to be proud of how progressive and accepting you are because you are choosing to vote for same-sex marriage. You may be tempted to be pleased with yourself for standing firm in the face of negative public opinion because you will choose to vote against same-sex marriage. But there is no place for pride in the life of a Christian. Your value is not found in your moral values or your political or social opinion. You are no better or worse a person in the eyes of God because you vote “Yes” or “No”. Boast only in Christ, approach everything else with the humility of someone who knows your righteousness is not found in your actions but in his.

If it won’t help the Gospel, stop

My biggest concern with any discussion about this plebiscite is that we get distracted by things that are less important than the gospel. Sure there are important things at stake, but if the things we yell about stop people from hearing of the love of Christ, we’ve lost the most important battle.

For some of you, this may be the most controversial thing I say all post, but unless something crazy happens, soon same-sex marriage is going to be legalised. The question is, how do you want followers of Jesus remembered when all is said and done? Do you want us to be remembered as the ones who tried to deny the legal right of marriage to a group of people who we claim to love, many of whom do not claim to be Christians and adhere to Christian beliefs and values? Do you want us to be remembered as the people who hurled abuse at each other online and said horrible things about minorities? Do you want us to be remembered as the people who fought a losing battle and in the process further eroded our reputation as people of love? Or do you want us to be remembered as the people who spoke with love, who acted with love, who listened with love, and who won and lost with love?

Same-sex marriage does not threaten the Lordship of Jesus, but how you act as a follower will reflect his Lordship to the world. We are Christ’s ambassadors, so if our words and actions could stop people from hearing the good news of what Jesus has done for them at the cross, it’s time to stop, there are more important things at stake than the legal definition of marriage.

Edited by CjShai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CjShai said:

I have seen you playing this a bit and it has peaked my interest. Sounds like you recommend it, might have to look into it. 1f600.png

I'm definitely going to recommend it, I can elaborate on a status update or wherever (seeing as this specific thread is probably not the place for it).

Come to think about it, I've made a pretty decent post about it a while ago, showing the differences between it and No Man's Sky (which many people compare it to, but the two actually have a lot of differences):

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/48300-monthly-madness/?do=findComment&comment=1353259

Same-sex marriage does not threaten the Lordship of Jesus, but how you act as a follower will reflect his Lordship to the world. We are Christ’s ambassadors, so if our words and actions could stop people from hearing the good news of what Jesus has done for them at the cross, it’s time to stop, there are more important things at stake than the legal definition of marriage.

That's the cleverest thing I've ever heard a straight person speaking from religion ever say about same-sex marriage. Now if only every religious person could see that their "reasons" for banning same-sex marriage are bat-shit insane...

By the way, I'm just going to leave this right here...

Edited by BillyHorrible
Tosh
  • Like 2

one thing I never understood: why do straight people have any say in same-sex marriage laws?...simple as that...even just typing out this question seems banal...it's like just change all the legal documentation to say "parent 1" and "parent 2" instead of husband/wife and then apply to all marriages...move on with our lives...f**k all the other bull$hit...if any two people want to marry/divorce let them...been legal in canada here for a while now...can honestly say I haven't seen the slightest impact on society in my daily life up to this point...

And to above post...yeah, it kind of annoys me when someone introduces a friend like: "this is Dave...he's gay"...it speaks volumes of the person introducing and probably annoys "Dave" more than it does me...everyone's at a different point in their evolution is something I remind myself in these types of situations...accept it and move on...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 3

@BillyHorrible thank you for that video, I will never look at pickers the same way again. 

@ProfBambam55 I totally agree with you, it is totally the individuals in question business and no one elses. It is just a shame we are not as forward thinking as Canada (or most of the western world ) here. Incidentally I love Canada, we travel over there every few years and I am still hoping that in another 10-15 yrs we can retire and move over permanently. Such a great country.

Edited by CjShai

14 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

one thing I never understood: why do straight people have any say in same-sex marriage laws?...simple as that...even just typing out this question seems banal...it's like just change all the legal documentation to say "parent 1" and "parent 2" instead of husband/wife and then apply to all marriages...move on with our lives...f**k all the other bull$hit...if any two people want to marry/divorce let them...been legal in canada here for a while now...can honestly say I haven't seen the slightest impact on society in my daily life up to this point...

And to above post...yeah, it kind of annoys me when someone introduces a friend like: "this is Dave...he's gay"...it speaks volumes of the person introducing and probably annoys "Dave" more than it does me...everyone's at a different point in their evolution is something I remind myself in these types of situations...accept it and move on...

Or in the words of Louis CK

tqJ6hSM.gif

13 hours ago, CjShai said:

@BillyHorrible thank you for that video, I will never look at pickers the same way again. 

@ProfBambam55 I totally agree with you, it is totally the individuals in question business and no one elses. It is just a shame we are not as forward thinking as Canada (or most of the western world ) here. Incidentally I love Canada, we travel over there every few years and I am still hoping that in another 10-15 yrs we can retire and move over permanently. Such a great country.

I love my country but I would happily switch with you for a few years :) Tell you what, during December-March you can live here and I will live in Australia and then we will switch back :P

• Like 1

On 18 August 2017 at 6:31 PM, CjShai said:

I have seen you playing this a bit and it has peaked my interest. Sounds like you recommend it, might have to look into it. ?

Will leave this here, definitely worth reading regardless of how you fall on this issue. It is coming to a head in Australia and it is great to read a very well written piece aimed at helping the other side come to terms.

Plebiscite.jpg?resize=1080%2C565

The plebiscite is coming. It’s not the one we were told we’d be having (then told we were not having) but it is still a chance for us to make our opinion on whether same-sex marriage should be legalised known. Now that it has been decided that it’s happening, lobby groups and people with opinions all over the country are gearing up for a fight. For those of us who are Christians, how we engage with this is important; we can either help the cause of Jesus or hinder it. So here are four ideas for Christians about how we can do this plebiscite well.

Don’t say horrible things about other humans

No matter where you stand, there’s a very good chance that all of us are going to be tempted to say mean things about other people – whether they identify as LGBTQI, as a conservative Christian, a progressive Christian, a politician, a combination of these, or something else entirely. Facebook is already full of people debating the value, or lack thereof, of this plebiscite. All the people you interact with, and speak about, whether in broad generalisations or in very specific terms, are made in the image of God, they are loved by him, and Jesus died for them. Treat them for who they are. They are God’s and he will take your treatment of them personally.

Particularly watch how you speak about people from the LGBTQI community, especially if, like me, you’re a Christian who is not from this community yourself and therefore may not know what you’re talking about and probably cannot speak on their behalf. You may say something deeply hurtful out of ignorance more than malice, but whatever your motives or intentions, you are still responsible for your words. Be careful. How should you be careful? I’ll show you a most excellent way…

Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry

In case you’re wondering, that’s a quote from James 1:19. What if our first response to someone who disagrees with us either online or IRL was “Tell me more”, “I don’t know enough about this, help me understand”, or “Thank you, I hadn’t thought of things that way.” Chances are whatever you want to say has already been said, so you probably don’t need to say it again, they’ve heard it before. But what if you were known as someone who listened, someone who was thoughtful, and someone who was not easily baited. That’s probably better than being known as someone who thinks they’re right, and tells everyone else why they’re right, and how everyone can be right like them.

If you’re going to vote, don’t be proud of how you are going to vote

You may be tempted to be proud of how progressive and accepting you are because you are choosing to vote for same-sex marriage. You may be tempted to be pleased with yourself for standing firm in the face of negative public opinion because you will choose to vote against same-sex marriage. But there is no place for pride in the life of a Christian. Your value is not found in your moral values or your political or social opinion. You are no better or worse a person in the eyes of God because you vote “Yes” or “No”. Boast only in Christ, approach everything else with the humility of someone who knows your righteousness is not found in your actions but in his.

If it won’t help the Gospel, stop

My biggest concern with any discussion about this plebiscite is that we get distracted by things that are less important than the gospel. Sure there are important things at stake, but if the things we yell about stop people from hearing of the love of Christ, we’ve lost the most important battle.

For some of you, this may be the most controversial thing I say all post, but unless something crazy happens, soon same-sex marriage is going to be legalised. The question is, how do you want followers of Jesus remembered when all is said and done? Do you want us to be remembered as the ones who tried to deny the legal right of marriage to a group of people who we claim to love, many of whom do not claim to be Christians and adhere to Christian beliefs and values? Do you want us to be remembered as the people who hurled abuse at each other online and said horrible things about minorities? Do you want us to be remembered as the people who fought a losing battle and in the process further eroded our reputation as people of love? Or do you want us to be remembered as the people who spoke with love, who acted with love, who listened with love, and who won and lost with love?

The plebiscite is such a wank and waste of money. They should've just had an option on the Census to say whether you support gay marriage or not. Would've saved time and money.

Anyway, I'm not gay but my brother is and I have friends that are so I'll be voting yes in this postal vote thing. Though I doubt anything will happen because of it.

• 2 weeks later...

My first thought to this was "I'm going to make a safe thread for heterosexuals to talk about hetero things". :awesome:

Then I realized that would probably be pretty childish and unnecessary... so all I'll say is shine on.  Life is for living, and doing what feels right to you.  And I'm just glad the LGBTQ+ community have found what makes them happy.  Cherish it.  Because straight, gay, bi, transgender or whatever... a lot of people are out there haven't quite found their happiness or their way in life yet.  And every well meaning person deserves it.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anybody watches Bojack Horseman on Netflix, but season four is out now.

Towards the end of season three, a character was outed as being asexual. While that was a cool thing in and of itself (and it fits with the characterisation, and it was handled pretty well), I've watched the first three episodes of season four now and apparently it was not just a one-off remark but it is an important part in said character's development.

I loved Bojack Horseman ever since season one, and I think it's really cool that they're giving some screentime to a sexuality that is not exclusively gay or straight.

• Like 3

On 29.8.2017 at 2:38 AM, Dreakon13 said:

My first thought to this was "I'm going to make a safe thread for heterosexuals to talk about hetero things". :awesome:

Then I realized that would probably be pretty childish and unnecessary... so all I'll say is shine on.  Life is for living, and doing what feels right to you.  And I'm just glad the LGBTQ+ community have found what makes them happy.  Cherish it.  Because straight, gay, bi, transgender or whatever... a lot of people are out there haven't quite found their happiness or their way in life yet.  And every well meaning person deserves it.

If you want a safe thread for heterosexuals and talk about straight things, you can litereally click on every other thread in this forum :) There are currently  48,271 threads you can choose from.

7 hours ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

If you want a safe thread for heterosexuals and talk about straight things, you can litereally click on every other thread in this forum :) There are currently  48,271 threads you can choose from.

I assure you, hetero talk and homo/trans/bi/whatever talk would be rightfully and equally criticized as off topic on 99% of those threads.

On 9/8/2017 at 4:37 AM, Mercy said:

^ no idea why you felt the need to post that if you realised it was childish immediately after, queer people hear shit like that constantly. :/

Because it's honest to my thought-process, wasn't particularly insulting or offensive, and added depth to the post.

Heaven forbid we celebrate all the nice things I said, by the way.

Edited by Dreakon13

36 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I assure you, hetero talk and homo/trans/bi/whatever talk would be rightfully and equally criticized as off topic on 99% of those threads.

Who said you should go off topic? If you wanted to discuss a stereotypical hetero topic like sports you'd obviously go there and if you wanted to discuss something else in particular you'd go to the appropriate Thread. 

46 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Heaven forbid we celebrate all the nice things I said, by the way.

You want LGBT+ people to celebrate that you think we deserve to be happy? 

1 hour ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

Who said you should go off topic? If you wanted to discuss a stereotypical hetero topic like sports you'd obviously go there and if you wanted to discuss something else in particular you'd go to the appropriate Thread. 

You want LGBT+ people to celebrate that you think we deserve to be happy? 

"Stereotypical hetero topic"? ?  What kind of attitude is that?  Isn't the whole point to stop perpetuating that kind of ridiculous segregation?

EDIT: And yeah, nothing wrong with being happy that others are happy for you.

Edited by Dreakon13

Please, can we stop having the LGBTQ+ thread being derailed by "let's make a thread for straight people" comments? Especially the ones that are already admitting that their thought is "childish and unnecessary", yet feel the need to say that they thought it anyway.

On topic, I've finished season four of Bojack and I'm very pleased with how the asexuality has been continued on. There was a lot of character development in it for said character, learning to accept their sexuality and live with it, yet it never overshadowed their previously established characterisation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

On topic, I've finished season four of Bojack and I'm very pleased with how the asexuality has been continued on. There was a lot of character development in it for said character, learning to accept their sexuality and live with it, yet it never overshadowed their previously established characterisation.

I'm glad a little more people get the courage to write some more LGBT+ characters and more importantly write them well. Usually when you have a gay character they suck or get killed off in a lot of series. And I'm especially glad that finally asexual people get a little more attention in the entertainment industry. 

If I have enough time I'll definitely check Bojack out as well.