What was the need for Gymkana?

Nasty_Rory

Why in Dirt3 did Codemasters feel the need to spoil a race and rally game with these stupid Gymkana and DC Challenges.

The addition of both - and I suppose the DC challenges more then the Gymkana have left me that I am annoyed that a truly great race and rally game has had a lot of the shine taken off it by this senseless spinning around and smashing cardboard cutouts.

Dont get me wrong, in online multiplayer these are great fun, but as part of the off line experience what should have been a little aside - some comic relief - accounts for about a third of the game;

and then they put the aside - the Battersea playground section - into the game as well

I havent as yet finished the rally portions of this game yet but every time I do one of these stupid "challenges" I get more annoyed.

Its not that I cant pass them, its fact that its the same stupid spin round in circles run though "robots" smash blocks rubbish over and over that gets to me.

I am sad that Codies ruined this game in this way :(

• Like 1

I feel the same way. Gymkhana is fun to watch in real life, but I think it is extremely boring in the game. It would be fine if it was a mode separate from singleplayer, or maybe a tiny part of the singleplayer, but like you said, there are tons of challenges dedicated to Gymkhana and it really detracts from the rally.

It doesn't ruin the game for me and I think DiRT 3 is the best in the series, but I would much rather have more really challenges than the Gymkhana challenges.

Parker

• Like 1

Completely agree with you Rory. Even though I admire Codemasters for trying something different, it totally destroys the pace of the game. I go from flying on the edge of death in Kenya or michigan, to doing circles around a pylon. I will never "finish" this game because I can't bring myself to practice this B.S.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to disagree and say that I can actually enjoyed the addition of Gymkhana, obviously the Dirt series is never going to be the same and as the trophy trucks were in Dirt 2 the Gymkhana events were a breath of fresh air and I loved the DC events and they were a fantastic challenge.

I would get alittle bored if it was Rally over and over again

• 11 months later...

It's because DiRT is no longer a "Colin McRae Rally" series - it's encompassing ALL of the off-road/X-Games style motorsports. [Like how SHIFT is technically no longer a Need For Speed game, but it's own series.]

It's kind of like the Gran Turismo of Rally - it's covering all disciplines within the sport, Gymkhana is part of that. Needed? No. But it's there just because it's part of that culture now.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I agree! It's a cool thing to see done, but unless you either know this separate sport or spend hours practising you're not going to be that good to start off I guess.

I loved the game, but this spinny stuff put me off... Maybe I'll go back and try again soon.

DiRT 2 was the best in my opinion - great tracks - the courses themselves and the awesome soundtrack!

I really love this game, but the gymkhana bit is really shit, once i could do a  gymkhana event i immediately did it on easiest difficulty, so that it went fast and i could enjoy the rest of this game, because all the other stuff is great.