Dragon's Dogma coming to PS4 and Xbox one

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I won't be getting the remaster if it's completely the same as the PS3 version though. Spent 200+ hours in Dark Arisen, so don't feel like buying an identical game again.

I'd bet on this being the case.  In fact, I'd bet on this being a quick cash grab from Capcom, meaning it'll look like a dated game being ported to a newer console.  Hoping to cash in on nostalgia from prior players who have largely moved beyond the PS3.  It's not like there haven't been ample opportunities for people to have picked up this game, between the endless sales, the multi-platform release (including PC) and how both versions of the original have been available for free through PS+.  Sure, all the DLC will probably be included the way it was on-disk for Dark Arisen, but that's not so much of a much.

The only possible way I pick up this game again for the PS4 is if it has a (very) low price point and if the trophies don't stack with the older version.  And even then, I'll probably give it a pass because I have too much of a backlog that I'd prefer playing.

43 minutes ago, soniq said:

Thanks, I'll have a look but as long as the servers are up, nothing should have changed. :)

Ok, have fun.

20 minutes ago, acasser said:

I'd bet on this being the case.  In fact, I'd bet on this being a quick cash grab from Capcom, meaning it'll look like a dated game being ported to a newer console.  Hoping to cash in on nostalgia from prior players who have largely moved beyond the PS3.  It's not like there haven't been ample opportunities for people to have picked up this game, between the endless sales, the multi-platform release (including PC) and how both versions of the original have been available for free through PS+.  Sure, all the DLC will probably be included the way it was on-disk for Dark Arisen, but that's not so much of a much.

The only possible way I pick up this game again for the PS4 is if it has a (very) low price point and if the trophies don't stack with the older version.  And even then, I'll probably give it a pass because I have too much of a backlog that I'd prefer playing.

I'm secretly hoping for an improved story and new trophies for the Dark Arisen content.

• Like 1

Just now, Cthulu26 said:

All I would hope for is the means to fast travel.  Game was pretty solid overall, minus the story, but no fast travel suuucked.  And I'm well aware of the crystal things that you got like two of, those don't count.

You could also place about 10 crystals at any location of your choosing, but yeah that definitely needs some improvement too.

I've had a think about this and I will absolutely be picking this game up again as it's one of my top ten favourite games and I sunk at least 150 hours into it on PS3. Sure the story is standard fare but it's the combat that I loved the most. I started out playing as a fighter but quickly realised that playing as a class with no ranged attacks wasn't going to cut it (pawns don't count because their damage output is rubbish compared to your character) so I switched to Assassin wielding dual daggers and a bow and never looked back. It was the first time I had played as something other than a tank build in an RPG and I loved it. Plus being able to climb on a cyclops and stab it's eye or climbing towards a dragons heart while it took off in an attempt to shake you off was fantastic.

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I'm secretly hoping for an improved story and new trophies for the Dark Arisen content.

They didn't add new trophies when they had the opportunity between the original, "vanilla" Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen.  The only way I see this changing for the re-master is if they write a separate trophy list completely from scratch.  But I'm not expecting Capcom to do even that much -- I surmise it to be a somewhat lame port of the original and the best I would hope for insofar as trophies is that the list doesn't stack on top of the PS3 version.

And for a lot of people, a fresh trophy list to get another Platinum on will be enough to get them excited.

1 hour ago, Cthulu26 said:

All I would hope for is the means to fast travel.  Game was pretty solid overall, minus the story, but no fast travel suuucked.  And I'm well aware of the crystal things that you got like two of, those don't count.

If you played the "vanilla" Dragon's Dogma and imported that save into Dark Arisen, you were gifted an Eternal Ferrystone.... not that regular Ferrystones were really all that hard to come by.  And you could buy Portcrystals to stick hither and yon (or even farm them, if you knew where to look).

The lack of fast travel was only really a hindrance if you made it one.  Even so, part of the joy of the game was supposed to be the exploration.  I can understand not wanting to walk all the way to Distant Point X time and time again, but how much is too much?

4 hours ago, RedMustang72 said:

True, but should Capcom be needing a remaster to 'sell well' in order to make more games?   At least Dino Crisis or it's like would be a wow moment for many, a return of Monster Hunter would floor me...I'd be playing nothing but MH.  lol    DDA is great, I loved it, but so many remasters from Capcom seemingly, the last time they made any notable new ip, iirc, was ^DD and Remember Me, both good games, but about 5 years ago.   How about some new ideas instead Capcom?   

I hope it does sell well, I don't mind remasters, just rather they made a new game without the conditions.

Honestly? Yes. It's their way to inexpensively test the waters outside of Japan to gauge the interest of further games before they invest money into the project. I say it's inexpensive because the PS4/XB1 remaster is probably a very simple PC port. Let's not forget the PC got DD: DA like one year ago. It would be silly to assume that this isn't the base source of the remaster, so it's very cheap for Capcom to do. If it sells a buttload on the most dominant console, that should give them more reasons than excuses to continue the series.

Hell, maybe Deep Down will be resuscitated from the dead.

6 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I won't be getting the remaster if it's completely the same as the PS3 version though. Spent 200+ hours in Dark Arisen, so don't feel like buying an identical game again.

Well, you will be getting it then, because it's 100% based off the Steam version, which came out January 2016.

23 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Honestly? Yes. It's their way to inexpensively test the waters outside of Japan to gauge the interest of further games before they invest money into the project. I say it's inexpensive because the PS4/XB1 remaster is probably a very simple PC port. Let's not forget the PC got DD: DA like one year ago. It would be silly to assume that this isn't the base source of the remaster, so it's very cheap for Capcom to do. If it sells a buttload on the most dominant console, that should give them more reasons than excuses to continue the series.

Hell, maybe Deep Down will be resuscitated from the dead.

I know why, what I mean is for all their financial woes and idiotic decision making, should a company like Capcom really have to 'test the waters'?   Sure, from a business perspective it makes sense, but then I'm more inclined to side with @acasser...

4 hours ago, acasser said:

...in that case, cheap cash grab masquerading as a necessity to see if there's a market for DD2, or DDO...when gamers have been asking for it for a long time.  Just like Deep Down, or the fact we've been asking for MH for almost 10 years!   I forgot about the PC release, so that'll now be it's third release, keeps going like this it might even catch Resi 4.  lol   I do however hope it does sell and we do see a DD2 or something, but given the special place reserved in the dark reaches of my heart for Capcom...I wouldn't wager on it.   :)

6 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

That's it? No additions to the story? No new trophies/achievements/whatever Steam uses?

Nope. No additional content.

Don't even think the Dark Arisen addon got any achievements. I could be wrong though.
Upon further research, it DID add new achievements. 8 new ones, and a few of them are horrid.

Edited by Valyrious

11 hours ago, Cthulu26 said:

Dark Arisen fixed that.  You could fast travel infinitely if you wanted to..... it's clear you didn't even play the game.

I thought the story was great, the ending was a nice touch when you realize the depth of it.  Probably went over most of your heads. 

Here's a recap: https://www.gamespot.com/dragons-dogma/forums/dragons-dogma-ending-explained-spoilers-29198698/

Edited by DARKB1KE

Here's a list of all the new achievements they added, listed by rarity

Includes enemy names, if you worry about that sort of thing

Spoiler

Eye Gouger

Defeated the Gazer in Bitterblack Isle

The Inquisitor

Defeated the Dark Bishop in Bitterblack Isle

Reached LV 100

Conqueror

Defeated Daimon for the first time

True Conqueror

Defeated Daimon in his true form

Cheat Death

Defeated Death in Bitterblack Isle

Reached LV 200

Hardened Veteran

Complete the game in Hard Mode

The Sprinter

Complete the game in Speedrun mode

For what it's worth, only the last achievement is rarer than any found in original PS3 trophy list.

Speedrun mode lets you bring everything from an existing save file into a new game, but you must complete the story without saving or dying. I'm not sure how hard that'd be at level 200 but it sounds like most people take around an hour to complete it, with the record being 14 minutes.

It's Capcom, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if we just get the PS3 list again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

Considering this game was letterboxed and had horrible frame rate on PS3 this is a great thing. Hopefully we can play it fluidly now.

I really wish they added in a proper online coop system though, I would love that.

Not to mention it was 720p with REALLY low resolution textures. Like, lower than normal at the time.

Nobody liked Dragon's Dogma when it came out for its looks or its performance. It was always the combat. That feeling of being able to climb up an Ogre and bash its face in with your sword never got old. Wish I could say the same about the companions' repetitive lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

Here's a list of all the new achievements they added, listed by rarity

Includes enemy names, if you worry about that sort of thing

Hide contents

Eye Gouger

Defeated the Gazer in Bitterblack Isle

The Inquisitor

Defeated the Dark Bishop in Bitterblack Isle

Reached LV 100

Conqueror

Defeated Daimon for the first time

True Conqueror

Defeated Daimon in his true form

Cheat Death

Defeated Death in Bitterblack Isle

Reached LV 200

Hardened Veteran

Complete the game in Hard Mode

The Sprinter

Complete the game in Speedrun mode

For what it's worth, only the last achievement is rarer than any found in original PS3 trophy list.

Speedrun mode lets you bring everything from an existing save file into a new game, but you must complete the story without saving or dying. I'm not sure how hard that'd be at level 200 but it sounds like most people take around an hour to complete it, with the record being 14 minutes.

It's Capcom, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if we just get the PS3 list again.

This gets my hope up though.

1 hour ago, FawltyPowers said:

A decent game with a lot of potential. Quite surprised to be honest this is being released on the PS4, I can only imagine their intention is for a sequel.

A sequel would be nice.