Possible trophy loss with ps4 ?

JasonFlexx

As for not being able to play PS3 games on the PS4, speaking personally, I'm not at all bothered. If I want to keep playing PS3 games, I'll keep my PS3.

Usually though, I don't keep a console past the first month of the next generation being out as I rarely go back and play old games anyway. This gen could be an exception though, as I have gone back to the Uncharted games repeatedly.

Either way though, not a problem for me. I'd rather they didn't hamstring the new system by trying to force backwards-compatibility. Just focus on making the new machine awesome.

Edited by Paranoimia
  • Like 1

It would be really stupid on their part to not have these 2 things if the PS4 were to be released soon. I mean, you were able to play PSone on PS2 and same with PS3, so why not do it again. Course, Nintendo didn't do that really with the Wii U.

As for trophies goes, I don't think it's gonna go away.

Backward compatibility isn't something that I see as a vital addition to the PS4 because, for me personally, I will be keeping my PS3 just as I have done with my PS2 and PS1.

As for trophies, I see Sony allowing you to carry over your PSN account therefore your trophies will carry over too. I also don't see PS4 games not having the same trophy support PS3 and PS Vita games have.

I'm not at all worried about losing trophies with the next PS. Trophies are attached to your PSN account, and those will still exist. We'll simply have another classification of trophies labeled as PS4 (or whatever), like we do with PS3 and Vita trophies. Unless Sony is going to complete eliminate trophies, which I don't see happening.

It would be really stupid on their part to not have these 2 things if the PS4 were to be released soon. I mean, you were able to play PSone on PS2 and same with PS3, so why not do it again. Course, Nintendo didn't do that really with the Wii U.

Microsoft offered no b/c with original Xbox games on the 360. There were some grumbles initially, but I think it's fair to say that the decision didn't do them any harm at all.

Backwards-compatibility only serves to add expense to the production of a system, and therefore to the price they charge us as consumers. After the outcry at the initial cost of the PS3 (even though it was great value at the time, and sold at a loss) I don't see Sony doing anything to increase the price unless it's absolutely necessary, and as loudly as some people may shout otherwise, b/c isn't necessary.

There's also the question of reliability. Backwards-compatibility is never 100% reliable. PS2 had problems with some PS1 games, and original PS3s had problems with some PS2 games. Trying to sort those issues is more expense for absolutely no profit. Sony can put that money to better use. Then, as we know again from the PS3, if they decide to remove b/c in future to reduce costs and lower the system price, people complain about it.

In my personal opinion, all of these issues mean that b/c in PS4 just isn't worth it for Sony, either in terms of costs or customer relations.

• Like 2

...Well, depends really, I've been expecting the Orbis (It wont be PS4, 4 is bad luck in Japan) to lose trophies. Do I care or am I worried? not at all, they wont remove them, they are part of the SEN network, which will carry onto the Orbis, and even if so, no big loss, just pixels.

i dont doubt that trophies will carry over.its just a technical thing that doesnt involve special hardware so they would shoot themselves in the foot if they didnt do it.

i dont think ps4 will play blu-ray disks though.maybe ps3-psn games if were lucky.

Well, it isn't going to be able to play PS3 games if it wont be able to play Blu-ray. Expect to see it again, the development kit I got to play around with for the Orbis used blu-ray, so I wouldn't say goodbye just yet.

Yes, trophies.

No, backwards compatibility.

I think it was a bigger deal on the PS3 initially for a couple of reasons:

1. The huge popularity of the PS2 and it's games. They just weren't in a position at that point to ignore it.

2. HD. The PS3 could upconvert PS2 games (although not all that well most of the time) so there was actually a benefit to playing on the PS3.

3. There just weren't ANY good games for the PS3 for the first year of its existence, so we had to have something to play.

The PS3 is not nearly as overwhelmingly popular as the PS2 was at that time, both systems are HD, and hopefully they will have learned their lesson as far as a launch lineup is concerned, so there's no reason to have BC as far as I'm concerned. And on top of all of that, they're going to have to keep the cost down and including a Cell processor in every PS4 would not help that at all.

Yes, trophies.

No, backwards compatibility.

I think it was a bigger deal on the PS3 initially for a couple of reasons:

1. The huge popularity of the PS2 and it's games. They just weren't in a position at that point to ignore it.

2. HD. The PS3 could upconvert PS2 games (although not all that well most of the time) so there was actually a benefit to playing on the PS3.

3. There just weren't ANY good games for the PS3 for the first year of its existence, so we had to have something to play.

The PS3 is not nearly as overwhelmingly popular as the PS2 was at that time, both systems are HD, and hopefully they will have learned their lesson as far as a launch lineup is concerned, so there's no reason to have BC as far as I'm concerned. And on top of all of that, they're going to have to keep the cost down and including a Cell processor in every PS4 would not help that at all.

I kind of think the PS4....at least the first ones WILL have backwards compatibility for two specific reasons. First it will entice people to be early adopters. People that love their PS3 games, but are intrigued by the next gen.

The second reason is that obviously the PS4 will use Blu-ray just like the PS3. There would be no difficulty or technical obstacles for the system to be backwards-compatible.

In detail:

The trophy system is setup and run by the "mothers". So unless they all agree to abolish the system, they are here to stay.

The trophy system is completely integrated into the PSN, of which it and all of it's "data" are not going anywhere.

The PSN is not being segregated by console span.

Only specific apps native to the PS4 will not be accessible by the PS3 on the PSN. (e.g. new versions of PS+, the PS4 version of the store.)

:blah:

In detail:

The trophy system is setup and run by the "mothers". So unless they all agree to abolish the system, they are here to stay.

The trophy system is completely integrated into the PSN, of which it and all of it's "data" are not going anywhere.

The PSN is not being segregated by console span.

Only specific apps native to the PS4 will not be accessible by the PS3 on the PSN. (e.g. new versions of PS+, the PS4 version of the store.)

:blah:

Exactly! Really there is nothing to worry about! On a side note, I hope the PS4 adds actual awards for trophies like the Xbox does. How cool would it be to get a ton of trophies and redeem points for themes or avatars etc.

I kind of think the PS4....at least the first ones WILL have backwards compatibility for two specific reasons. First it will entice people to be early adopters. People that love their PS3 games, but are intrigued by the next gen.

The second reason is that obviously the PS4 will use Blu-ray just like the PS3. There would be no difficulty or technical obstacles for the system to be backwards-compatible.

Is all rumors right now but, the PS4 is suposed to have a different CPU, of course they are going to keep blu-ray, no need to change it just yet, but a different processor could mean no bc at all.

Is all rumors right now but, the PS4 is suposed to have a different CPU, of course they are going to keep blu-ray, no need to change it just yet, but a different processor could mean no bc at all.

Darn, I never thought of that. Well there goes my theory and my certainty! :P