The Last TV Show You Saw?

DanielVT

I watched all of The Outsider. I actually think it told the story it was trying to tell better than the book, but I still think it didn't do a super-great job of it. The concept is great, but the execution... not so much. Also, in one of the first few episodes they did the autism as superpower thing with Holly and it just made me cringe. The casting was pretty good. The acting was hit or miss. The art direction was good. The cinematography was above average. If you want a horror TV show there's tons of worse options.

7 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

You'd be surprised, in fact watching it a second time you catch on to a lot of things that were confusing or hard to understand at the time because of everything that's going on and all the names. And the lore is more fleshed out because you already know the names. So don't count a second watch out yet! 

I watched it for a second time with the family this past fall, so that was about a 9-10 month spread. And you may come to terms with the final season like I did, and eventually say ya it could have been better, but for what it was, it was good enough. It's a hard show to end for writers, I would say almost impossible. 

But congrats on watching! It's such a great show. The sad part is you'll always compare whatever you watch to it now. And it's a highhhh bar

Yeah, you’re right, I won’t count out a rewatch sometime down the road just yet. I don’t know if I’d ever be able to accept the pacing of the final season, it was just awful!

Yeah I can imagine, and I still have shows like The Wire and The Sopranos to watch! It’ll be interesting to see how they stack up in comparison

• Like 1

I finished both seasons of Mayans MC. Really good stuff and it gets better as it goes along. Eagerly awaiting the third season now.

Also just finished the third season of Drive To Survive which is a Netflix original that takes a look at the inner workings of Formula One, it's drivers and other personalities. This was a letdown for me and it wasn't as good as the first two seasons.

23 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

You'd be surprised, in fact watching it a second time you catch on to a lot of things that were confusing or hard to understand at the time because of everything that's going on and all the names. And the lore is more fleshed out because you already know the names. So don't count a second watch out yet! 

I watched it for a second time with the family this past fall, so that was about a 9-10 month spread. And you may come to terms with the final season like I did, and eventually say ya it could have been better, but for what it was, it was good enough. It's a hard show to end for writers, I would say almost impossible. 

But congrats on watching! It's such a great show. The sad part is you'll always compare whatever you watch to it now. And it's a highhhh bar

On 3/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, GraniteSnake said:

I finished Game of Thrones tonight. I finally got to experience the infamous season 8.. massively disappointing, I don’t think I could ever rewatch the series now. Such a shame, the earlier seasons were so damn good! 1f641.png

Totally agree with that!^

SPOILERS*****

Spoiler

Not only that but the build up to the Night King.

--------------------------------------------------------------

220px-Vikings_Season_2.jpg

Valhalla

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-03-20 at 6:47 AM, GraniteSnake said:

Yeah, you’re right, I won’t count out a rewatch sometime down the road just yet. I don’t know if I’d ever be able to accept the pacing of the final season, it was just awful!

Yeah I can imagine, and I still have shows like The Wire and The Sopranos to watch! It’ll be interesting to see how they stack up in comparison

That final season of GoT was god awful and a complete betrayal to all of the fans. It could have worked if some of those plot arcs (ex. Daenerys losing herself to paranoia, jealousy, and power, or Arya’s realization that her campaign of revenge just wasn’t worth it anymore) had been really fleshed out and spread out over a few more seasons. But everything just felt so abrupt and rushed with characters acting unlike themselves. It was too obvious that the show runners just wanted to wrap up the show and bounce as fast as humanly possible. The fans deserved so much better.

The rest of the show is absolutely worth a rewatch though. I never seem to get tired of rewatching old GoT episodes. The show and the world it’s set in is just so well crafted, I get swept up in it so easily. ?

Gotta say you’re in for a huge treat with The Wire and The Sopranos as well! I regard both shows as the golden standard for television. Both are extremely compelling to watch and are incredibly well written.

I’d also highly recommend HBO’s Boardwalk Empire if you haven’t seen it, which might even edge out Game of Thrones to be my favourite TV show of all time. The pacing of the show is a lot slower, with complex plot lines and character arcs that come together over the course of the entire season or even the entire show, but the star studded cast, the acting, costumes, clothing, old music, character development, and the mix of fiction and real life history during the rise of organized crime in America is absolutely sublime. I think Boardwalk Empire is right up there with Game of Thrones too when it comes to handling death scenes of major characters. 

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

That final season of GoT was god awful and a complete betrayal to all of the fans. It could have worked if some of those plot arcs (ex. Daenerys losing herself to paranoia, jealousy, and power, or Arya’s realization that her campaign of revenge just wasn’t worth it anymore) had been really fleshed out and spread out over a few more seasons. But everything just felt so abrupt and rushed with characters acting unlike themselves. It was too obvious that the show runners just wanted to wrap up the show and bounce as fast as humanly possible. The fans deserved so much better.

The rest of the show is absolutely worth a rewatch though. I never seem to get tired of rewatching old GoT episodes. The show and the world it’s set in is just so well crafted, I get swept up in it so easily. 1f44d.png

Gotta say you’re in for a huge treat with The Wire and The Sopranos as well! I regard both shows as the golden standard for television. Both are extremely compelling to watch and are incredibly well written.

I’d also highly recommend HBO’s Boardwalk Empire if you haven’t seen it, which might even edge out Game of Thrones to be my favourite TV show of all time. The pacing of the show is a lot slower, with complex plot lines and character arcs that come together over the course of the entire season or even the entire show, but the star studded cast, the acting, costumes, clothing, old music, character development, and the mix of fiction and real life history during the rise of organized crime in America is absolutely sublime. I think Boardwalk Empire is right up there with Game of Thrones too when it comes to handling death scenes of major characters. 

Yeah, way too rushed. I'm really looking forward to watch both of those shows. I usually like to take breaks between series so it'll probably be a while before I start either of them. Appreciate the recommendation, I've never even heard of that show before now! I'll keep it in mind.

Speaking of HBO, I'm almost finished Chernobyl. I can't believe how good it is! The first two episodes in particular. Watching the final episode tonight ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GraniteSnake said:

Yeah, way too rushed. I'm really looking forward to watch both of those shows. I usually like to take breaks between series so it'll probably be a while before I start either of them. Appreciate the recommendation, I've never even heard of that show before now! I'll keep it in mind.

Speaking of HBO, I'm almost finished Chernobyl. I can't believe how good it is! The first two episodes in particular. Watching the final episode tonight 1f600.png

Chernobyl was absolutely fascinating to watch as someone who didn’t know too many details about the incident beforehand. I thought they did a pretty great job telling the story as well. While there’s a lot of focus on the first responders and heroes and the technical details of how everything unfolded, there was also a lot of focus on the dysfunctional Soviet bureaucracy and attempts to conceal the nature of the disaster to avoid international embarrassment, which painted a nice round picture of the living hell that was Chernobyl. I heard Russia wasn’t too happy with the series though. ?

Just a few years back, they actually went in and replaced the “sarcophagus” that still conceals the reactor and radioactive ruins to this day. There’s this huge thing called the NSC (New Safe Confinement), which is the world’s largest movable metal structure, that was built specifically for this purpose. Over the course of several weeks they slid it into place over the reactor ruins, where it’s supposed to contain radiation leaks for the next 100 years.

I’ve watched a crap ton of HBO and they really have a whole bunch of brilliant mini-series and limited series that are well worth checking out. Everything they produce is top notch.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

25 Words or Less - Good game show with Meredith Vieira, based on the board game. It's a word association game similar to The $100.000 Pyramid, except you bid against another player to see who can get their teammates to guess 5 secret words in the least amount of clues.

"I can do it in 20 words"

"I can do it in 16"

"I'll let you do it."

hqdefault.jpg

12 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

250px-ManifestTitleScreen.png

Manifest - Season 3

Episodes 3.5 "Water Landing" and 3.6 "Graveyard Spiral"

With religion surrounding that series - however that last episode on what

Spoiler

that shadow thing did to the other two brothers

leads me to believe that there are other forces at play here.

• 3 weeks later...

250px-SVUopening.jpg

Law & Order SVU

Episode 22.14 "Post-Graduate Psychopath"

A juvenile criminal from Season 14 returns.

Spoiler

It's Henry Mesner. He was 10 years old when first locked up. Now at 18 he's released, and trouble ensues.

250px-Law_&_Order_Organized_Crime_logo.s

Law & Order: Organized Crime

Episode 1.6 "I Got This Rat"

Two more episodes to go before the season wraps up. I'm hoping this series returns.

Spoiler

Awww NO! Poor Gina. ?

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

• 2 weeks later...