This is the best walking simulator I have ever played

20 minutes ago, Sega-Ryudo said:

"Everybody Gone to the Rapture" and "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" are much better Walking Simulators. That's my opinion.

Hmmm - I’m with you on Rapture (I think that’s the best in the genre), but for whatever reason - I could never quite put my finger on it - I didn’t really connect with Ethan Carter. ?

beautiful looking game though, for sure.

• Like 1

People always seem to sleep on walking sims tbh when they have some of the most captivating narratives I've ever seen.

And if anyone in this thread is new to this genre and fell in love with What Remains of Edith Finch, I definitely recommend you go check out:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Dear Esther

Beautiful games, beautiful genre really hidden gems, comparatively speaking

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hmmm - I’m with you on Rapture (I think that’s the best in the genre), but for whatever reason - I could never quite put my finger on it - I didn’t really connect with Ethan Carter. 1f914.png

beautiful looking game though, for sure.

Dear Esther body slams VoEC imo but nothing compares with Rapture to me

• Like 1

If you're not into this type of game then you can not be forced to like it. Personally I enjoy these type of games a lot. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was a very decent experience and I liked it. Journey also qualifies as a walking simulator in my opinion and playing through that for the first time was one of the best gaming experiences I have had so far. I just started Edith Finch and so far it looks pretty good. I also just bought Ethan Carter and am pretty sure I will enjoy that one too. I have refrained from Dear Esther up til now because of the supposedly hoity-toity dev audio bits that you need to suffer through for a trophy. But I will definitely buy it at some point too.

It all depends on what you want or expect from games. If gaming is only gaming for you if you're killing someone or crashing a car at least every 30 seconds, then it's probably not for you. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is no reason to shit on these games either just because you can not see the appeal. I fall asleep with classical music, but I can still understand why it would captivate people by the millions.

2 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

If you're not into this type of game then you can not be forced to like it. Personally I enjoy these type of games a lot. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was a very decent experience and I liked it. Journey also qualifies as a walking simulator in my opinion and playing through that for the first time was one of the best gaming experiences I have had so far. I just started Edith Finch and so far it looks pretty good. I also just bought Ethan Carter and am pretty sure I will enjoy that one too. I have refrained from Dear Esther up til now because of the supposedly hoity-toity dev audio bits that you need to suffer through for a trophy. But I will definitely buy it at some point too.

It all depends on what you want or expect from games. If gaming is only gaming for you if you're killing someone or crashing a car at least every 30 seconds, then it's probably not for you. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is no reason to shit on these games either just because you can not see the appeal. I fall asleep with classical music, but I can still understand why it would captivate people by the millions.

The Thing that makes Journey great for me was the Multiplayer. What an experience.

And Dear Esther is one game i missed. I'll try it when it is in a sale.

And Ethan Carter has a real ending and after that you know what happened.

Edited by Sega-Ryudo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sega-Ryudo said:

The Thing that makes Journey great for me was the Multiplayer. What an experience.

Definitely! The first time I saw my screen glow on one side and heard someone play their notes was pretty neat. I did not even know then that you could meet other players. So to then enjoy each others company for the rest of the trip was great. It can even be a pretty uplifiting experience if you allow it to be.

• Like 1

wow. lol My two year old thread is getting some more attention due to psplus ?

Really glad people get to try this wonderful game out for themselves. Even if it's not your cup of tea, the game is only about 2 hours, so it's not a huge investment. :)

• Like 1

I have to agree with OP: this was a coherent and fascinating narrative-focused game, with an arresting visual design.

Probably the best one I played so far, even. If I'd have to rank some of these first-person games in order of most interesting to least interesting, for me personally it would look like this:

- What Remains of Edith Finch

- The Unfinished Swan

- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

- Gone Home

I did not connect with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture at all. It was an interesting game with some cool music to explore just once, but the walking pace was excruciatingly slow. If the other ones are dubbed "walking simulators", this one was a "crawling simulator". And the open world did feel a little too empty for my tastes.

And with all due respect to the devs who worked on Gone Home: I thought that game was a big disappointment. I know cheaper games that are much better, longer and provide you with more satisfying gameplay than Gone Home for the ridiculously high price of €19,99. Especially for the price it was on sale at that point. Never mind, I just looked up the price tag on PS Store again: it's STILL €19,99?!

Rip.

Meet.

Off.

• Like 2

Just finished it and, yes, i agree it's a great game. Much better than EGttR really, that was just tedious and I lost so much progress because of its rubbish save structure that I deleted it in frustration; this I played start to finish and wanted more.

Just ran out of time today to 100% but it is an easy one.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

On 5/29/2017 at 4:38 PM, Miles_Warren said:

I'm going to be honest - I never go out of my way to purchase walking simulators. The only time I play them is if they are free on Plus and I have a feeling Edith Finch will be free one day. Saying that, I really did enjoy the last walking simulator I played "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture". From the voice acting, to the scenery, to the soundtrack....ohhh the soundtrack 1f60d.png

Yes it certainly was free one day (2 years later) lol!

Great Game thought, i wouldn't have paid for full price however it as it is quite a short game but enthralling none the less, hope it can be made into a sequel etc!

18 hours ago, Aponac1987 said:

I have to agree with OP: this was a coherent and fascinating narrative-focused game, with an arresting visual design.

Probably the best one I played so far, even. If I'd have to rank some of these first-person games in order of most interesting to least interesting, for me personally it would look like this:

- What Remains of Edith Finch

- The Unfinished Swan

- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

- Gone Home

I did not connect with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture at all. It was an interesting game with some cool music to explore just once, but the walking pace was excruciatingly slow. If the other ones are dubbed "walking simulators", this one was a "crawling simulator". And the open world did feel a little too empty for my tastes.

And with all due respect to the devs who worked on Gone Home: I thought that game was a big disappointment. I know cheaper games that are much better, longer and provide you with more satisfying gameplay than Gone Home for the ridiculously high price of €19,99. Especially for the price it was on sale at that point. Never mind, I just looked up the price tag on PS Store again: it's STILL €19,99?!

Rip.

Meet.

Off.

Haha. We have the exact same gripes with Rapture. I wanted to love Rapture but the slow pace really turned me off. It's why I disliked Dear Esther as well. There is a certain pace that I like to have in these kinds of games. 

I really hope Giant Sparrow get to make another of these. I still think about The Unfinished Swan a lot, especially it's phenomenal soundtrack.

I'm always looking for more to play in this "genre" :) 

6 hours ago, DoucetDudes said:

Haha. We have the exact same gripes with Rapture. I wanted to love Rapture but the slow pace really turned me off. It's why I disliked Dear Esther as well. There is a certain pace that I like to have in these kinds of games. 

I really hope Giant Sparrow get to make another of these. I still think about The Unfinished Swan a lot, especially it's phenomenal soundtrack.

I'm always looking for more to play in this "genre" :) 

I complained about the slow pace as well in a specific platinum trophy thread, where a lot of people complained about getting its platinum trophy.

There aren't that many first-person walking simulators, actually. I'm not counting Journey or Flower, because those are different and have too many gameplay mechanics to be counted among walking simulators.

That sounded pretty denigrating, didn't it? It's just a fact that games like The Unfinished Swan and What Remains of Edith Finch are pretty much about walking around, exploring and interacting with things. There's no real way to die now that I think about it, unless it's part of the narrative design in order to progress the story. You can die in Flower and Journey, so there. ;)

The 'sprint' button allows you to traverse the whole map in Rapture in around 10 minutes IIRC, 15 minutes at the most. I had to do that because some trophies glitched on me. I was dreading it, but as long as you keep the button pressed you can build up some more speed and it actually was not so bad that way.

So I read a little through the comments here before playing the game, got hooked by the positive words and played through it. For those who didn't start the game yet... Two things:

1) it's an quick and easy game with easy doable 100%.

2) it's an indie game, walking simulator basically, the story is wonderful but hard stuff too!

To me the story is always the center of a game. If the story is good and has heart and mind then there's no problem with limited gameplay. This little pearl here fits perfectly into those conditions. Beautiful music, graphics that are good enough, gameplay as said very little but a story that will let you feel and think about the events that you'll discover. Don't want to spoil anything but let me say this: it's no sunshine lovely little story, it's actually a sad and tragic one. I expected something else but that doesn't mean I'm disappointed or so. Just... surprised. And filled up with feelings and thoughts. And if a game leaves in your memory with those things, it's a well made experience. This game is good.

Another thing: I found out this was made by the same developer as The Unfinished Swan and in quite some moments I felt a familiar vibe to this game. Same amount of fantasy and love for the details for the created experience, which is a very good recognition. So I was surprised a little when I searched the web for other games by this studio and realized The Unfinished Swan and What Remains of Edith Finch are the only ones. By a studio that exist for 10 years now. Another example for 'good things take time' I guess. Will keep them on my radar for upcoming releases. 'Giant Sparrow', remember that name for quality indie titles.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

The 'sprint' button allows you to traverse the whole map in Rapture in around 10 minutes IIRC, 15 minutes at the most. I had to do that because some trophies glitched on me. I was dreading it, but as long as you keep the button pressed you can build up some more speed and it actually was not so bad that way.

Yes, I don't get it. You walk in WRoEF much slower than in EGttR, but he said "EGttR is to slow".

5 hours ago, Solid-Fisch said:

'Giant Sparrow', remember that name for quality indie titles.

That is the proof that you don't know what you are talking about. WRoEF seems to be your only game of this type. Play more, learn more, there are plenty of better Games in this Genre out there

Edited by Sega-Ryudo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sega-Ryudo said:

That is the proof that you don't know what you are talking about. WRoEF seems to be your only game of this type. Play more, learn more, there are plenty of better Games in this Genre out there

That is the proof that you don't know what you are talking about. If you'd taken a look at the games in my list before commenting, you could have answered that question to yourself, moron. Research more, analyze more, there are a few games out of this genre in that list.

• Like 2

It was short, but a really intense experience, something you should play in one sitting. Lewis' story was unique and I somehow can relate to it.  And when the credits rolled, that's when onions attacked me.

On a side note, I also appreciated the reference to Unfinished Swan, another game I loved and suggest to play.

• Like 4