NOOOO!!! Zico Trophy from WipEout HD IS BACK!

7 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

God no! Chenghou Project would drive me mad.

If that's that's the map with the sharp u turn near start then yeah, idk how the Ai goes around so quickly, also the map with hills is a pos. Hope the other 2 campaigns are easier.

This game is kind of frustrating, the tracks are too narrow and you can never pass without hitting the guy in front and losing all your speed while giving them a boost.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, x7eight said:

If that's that's the map with the sharp u turn near start then yeah, idk how the Ai goes around so quickly, also the map with hills is a pos. Hope the other 2 campaigns are easier.

This game is kind of frustrating, the tracks are too narrow and you can never pass without hitting the guy in front and losing all your speed while giving them a boost.

That's exactly the map. It all comes down to skill but sometimes it also requires a lot of luck, especially if you are not a racing expert. Like me ;) Seriously though, I managed to get the platinum in the HD version on the PS3 and I barely felt that I was really good at it. Since you already got the Zico trophy I have no doubt that you will master the Elite Campaign as well.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:52 PM, x7eight said:

Wtf is up with the barrel roll mechanic?  I went at beat zico trophy and the barrel rolls don't work 85% of the time. I don't usually mind challenging stuff but I'm ready to give up on this already. 

Is there a way to more consistently do barrel rolls? 

That's what frustrated me about it in 2011 but it was like 33% for me. Wish there was a button input to execute the roll instead.

I got the game free and thought it just okay, expected and wanted more loops and crazy tracks like Trackmania but most are just normal/ mundane for a game of this setup with ships and the setting.

Might go back and actually give it a solid try on PS3 now but probably not. 

• Like 1

I just got this trophy for the second time (got it on PS3 a few years ago). I did not find it easier the second time around. First, I forgot you could "invalidate" a lap to get your turbo item back, so every time I failed I ended up doing a full extra lap in order to have a turbo for the finish line. I kept failing because I usually missed a speed pad on the opening curve, or I messed up the second barrel roll inside the tunnel. 

Here's the tip that helped me the most: I noticed most of the videos have you take the first group of speed pads in a center-center-outside-outside pattern, but I found that going center-center-inside-outside made the racing line shorter, made me less likely to clip the outside wall, and put me at a better angle to nail the upcoming double barrel roll you need to pull off. Once I started doing that, I reliably got the first half of the course down, and then it was just a matter of getting lucky with the third barrel roll jumping up onto the elevated lane. I got the trophy 7 laps later.

The campaign on Elite has been toned down (significantly) in difficulty compared to the ps3 version, so if you've done it there, there's no doubt u'll be able to do it on the Omega Collection

For the Zico on Anulpha its just practice over & over, dont forget to pull up the nose before that 3rd br, if you've been able to do it but end up falling off u can sideshift left quickly once u br'ed since that most likely will hold u on track

The 2048 campaign is fairly easy compared to the HD part, there's only 2 or maybe 3 nodes that'll need some luck

Also... For the a+ trophy, use AG Sys speed, regardless of which track no other ship will give you the ability to take up the corners at this speed class, you'll quickly realise using this ship its waaaaay easier than any other

Thats all about the help i can think of really 

• 3 weeks later...

For Zico HD. Do I use the HD Piranha or the Fury one? Or doesn’t it make a difference? I’ve been using the Fury one and I’m at 31.29 right now, although I missed 1 speed pad. Just wondering if the HD one is better.

Edit: Lol. Tried the HD one. Did it on lap 10 already ?. 

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Within the first 30 minutes of playing the game, I got these 2 trophies within a half hour. They are by far the easiest things to do in the game, you just need some practice and muscle memory to accomplish this. My only advantage is knowing the path to take and where to barrel roll and use speed pads in conjunction with side shifting. Piloting your ship is one thing but course knowledge is how you beat the time with ease. 

• 10 months later...
On 17. 2. 2020 at 5:57 AM, X_RaceKing_X said:

Within the first 30 minutes of playing the game, I got these 2 trophies within a half hour. They are by far the easiest things to do in the game, you just need some practice and muscle memory to accomplish this. My only advantage is knowing the path to take and where to barrel roll and use speed pads in conjunction with side shifting. Piloting your ship is one thing but course knowledge is how you beat the time with ease. 

Not true, some people will physically not be able to do the barell roll at the end, and if they rarely manage to do it then they will fail to beat the rest of the track. I did it in a few hours but my thumb hurts af, you have to be pretty precise and fast to beat it... Stop showing off...

• 1 month later...

After getting Zico: 2048 in just 18 laps and getting all the other trophies, I thought that difficulty of Zico: HD was greatly exaggerated until I tried it. In the other trophies, just a good racing line and weapon management was enough, but on this one I needed to learn some techniques that I didn't really use in other parts of the game, like the side shift and pitch control.

I dipped my toes a couple of times this week, but it finally clicked on me what I needed to do after READING the trophy guide in pstrophies.org to understand what I was seeing on these video guides (I used this video for reference, the first person view was good to see the racing line and he used only 3 barrel rolls, so I had more leeway in doing my route with four). After I got the two consecutive jumps after the dip down, it took me a couple laps to get the barrel on getting on the final ramp at a reasonable rate (about 2 in 5), and after 68 laps in this session (with about that much in other ones), I finally got it.

On 3/1/2021 at 0:25 PM, KenjiCBZ said:

Explain this?

It's been a while since I've played now, but most Zico strategies have you use two turbos even though you only get one per lap: Turbo 1 at the end of the preceding lap, just as you're about to cross the finish line so that you get a boost at the beginning of your (new) lap, and Turbo 2 during the dip following the first series of booster pads, so that you get enough air to perform a barrel roll going into the tunnel.

However, after you use Turbo 2, if you then fail to beat Zico on that lap (let's say you hit a wall, miss a barrel roll, or fall off the course at the jump) then you no longer have the turbo item queued up to perform Turbo 1 heading into the next lap. To attempt to beat Zico again, you would normally have to go around the course without using a turbo at the Turbo 2 location, so that you can instead use it across the finish line to perform Turbos 1 *and* 2 on the subsequent lap.

I had forgotten that there's a button you can press (one of the trigger buttons I think, maybe R2?) immediately after you mess up a lap. That will "invalidate" the lap so that your time for that lap is no longer eligible for a record in speed lap mode. However, you get your boost back so you can try again the very next time you begin a new lap and don't have to loop all the way around again in order to "save" two turbos. 

Does that make sense? It's kind of hard to explain in writing haha.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IrishGuyJay said:

It's been a while since I've played now, but most Zico strategies have you use two turbos even though you only get one per lap: Turbo 1 at the end of the preceding lap, just as you're about to cross the finish line so that you get a boost at the beginning of your (new) lap, and Turbo 2 during the dip following the first series of booster pads, so that you get enough air to perform a barrel roll going into the tunnel.

However, after you use Turbo 2, if you then fail to beat Zico on that lap (let's say you hit a wall, miss a barrel roll, or fall off the course at the jump) then you no longer have the turbo item queued up to perform Turbo 1 heading into the next lap. To attempt to beat Zico again, you would normally have to go around the course without using a turbo at the Turbo 2 location, so that you can instead use it across the finish line to perform Turbos 1 *and* 2 on the subsequent lap.

I had forgotten that there's a button you can press (one of the trigger buttons I think, maybe R2?) immediately after you mess up a lap. That will "invalidate" the lap so that your time for that lap is no longer eligible for a record in speed lap mode. However, you get your boost back so you can try again the very next time you begin a new lap and don't have to loop all the way around again in order to "save" two turbos. 

It's L1 by default, you must keep it pressed for 3 seconds or so, so you don't spam it in the straight before starting the lap. You could see exactly what you are describing in my video above in the very beginning, with the invalidated lap and the turbo power up appearing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IrishGuyJay said:

Thank you, I had stopped trying some time ago because it was so annoying to play the race over and over again just to get the turbo back, I will try asap! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And after three days of trying, I did it! With exactly 30.82 lol, my heart literally stopped, the instant before I finished the lap.

I'm gonna be that guy and say that in my opinion 2048 is much harder than this, but maybe it's because I consider the HD Track itself is better.

Here's my 30.82 lap, feel free to give it a look if you want to beat or equal the time, good luck :)