Easier without patches?

soniq

There are rumors that we'll be getting this game as part of next month's PS+ lineup and I've been looking into the trophies and came across information that the developer made the game harder over time by giving the final boss new forms and higher levels, depending on how many people beat him.

Since it's still possible on PS3 to avoid patches on digital games I wonder if it's possible to play this in it's original version and if that will make the game easier?

Edited by soniq

14 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

You've done the platinum in all of the SoulsBorne games, surely you won't let a game like Abyss Odyssey worry you? :)

I'm more worried about the time it takes to finish the game. If the difficulty changes also mean that the game takes longer then I'd happily avoid that. ^^

Edited by soniq

Just now, soniq said:

I'm more worried about the time it takes to finish the game. If the difficulty changes also mean that the game takes longer then I'd happily avoid that. ^^

Mèh. Personally I'll just play the patched game, I'll see how the dev intended the game to be played. Did the same with Horizon Zero Dawn (at least one of the hunting challenges has gotten a lot harder after a patch).

howlongtobeat.com puts the Abyss Odyssey completion time on four hours. So let's say it would be five to six hours for someone like me who doesn't rush through games and tries to figure out everything himself. My guess is that a patched boss will make the game at most half an hour longer. That's not really that much, and if the dev patched the boss then it was probably too easy before.

... But hey, let's play and find out, shall we? B)

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Mèh. Personally I'll just play the patched game, I'll see how the dev intended the game to be played. Did the same with Horizon Zero Dawn (at least one of the hunting challenges has gotten a lot harder after a patch).

howlongtobeat.com puts the Abyss Odyssey completion time on four hours. So let's say it would be five to six hours for someone like me who doesn't rush through games and tries to figure out everything himself. My guess is that a patched boss will make the game at most half an hour longer. That's not really that much, and if the dev patched the boss then it was probably too easy before.

... But hey, let's play and find out, shall we? B)

I'm not ashamed to use any exploit that saves me a couple of hours if that means I get to finish a game that's just good or ok sooner rather than later. :D But I guess we'll see. I'm definitley looking forward to trying Abyss Odyssey either way because it's one of those games I'd never have considered getting if it hadn't been selected as a PS+ title.

1 minute ago, soniq said:

I'm not ashamed to use any exploit that saves me a couple of hours if that means I get to finish a game that's just good or ok sooner rather than later. :D But I guess we'll see. I'm definitley looking forward to trying Abyss Odyssey either way because it's one of those games I'd never have considered getting if it hadn't been selected as a PS+ title.

Both Abyss Odyssey and Spy Chameleon I did not know anything about before they appeared in the PS+ update, and I'd really like to play them. But then again "fun games that I never noticed before" is the main reason why I enjoy PS+.

• Like 1

I tested reverting saves for you bratMario and it worked fine. However, I didn't notice a difference in difficulty. Patched and unpatched were about the same IMHO.

The only difference I noticed between the two was that in the unpatched version the souls you captured by beating the question mark rooms would appear in the floor and be unobtainable.

• Like 2

On 12.06.2017 at 2:37 PM, clickclick-uhoh said:

I tested reverting saves for you bratMario and it worked fine. However, I didn't notice a difference in difficulty. Patched and unpatched were about the same IMHO.

The only difference I noticed between the two was that in the unpatched version the souls you captured by beating the question mark rooms would appear in the floor and be unobtainable.

Oh thanks my friend ?

I've just completed (in v1.01) IMHO most difficult part - about defeating Living Creature. I figured out that jumping and firing from air helps a lot... also helps avoiding close/melee attack)

To get Dream Master trophy i've captured Verbum Dei which has incredible range/attack power (spam L1/R1)

I've traversed all floors 5 times in a row (without dying) and now I'm curious if are there more Katriene/Warlock talkings (just before the final fight)... i had to go to sleep and so had to break game :( 

Now what only remains for me is grinding part of the game to get Ultimate Monk/Pincoya trophies (!) ... which i'll do maybe today (?)

• Like 2

On 6/1/2017 at 9:27 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Both Abyss Odyssey and Spy Chameleon I did not know anything about before they appeared in the PS+ update, and I'd really like to play them. But then again "fun games that I never noticed before" is the main reason why I enjoy PS+.

Definitely give Spy Chameleon a play. Took me 20 hours to get the plat but I have to agreed on it's one of those "fun games that I never noticed before" because of PSPLUS 

5 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

Definitely give Spy Chameleon a play. Took me 20 hours to get the plat but I have to agreed on it's one of those "fun games that I never noticed before" because of PSPLUS 

Actually started it already, much more difficult than the threads here made me believe it is. Gotta have split-second Super Meat Boy reflexes for some of the later stuff, going for No Changes II was a pain for instance.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Actually started it already, much more difficult than the threads here made me believe it is. Gotta have split-second Super Meat Boy reflexes for some of the later stuff, going for No Changes II was a pain for instance.

No Changes ll was a pain. I played it on Vita at work and continue on the Ps4 when I got home so it all became second nature to me. That been said if you can push through at least 10 hours or so on gameplay then it all comes natural. But even with it's difficult parts it's an enjoyable pain in the ass game:giggle:

9 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

No Changes ll was a pain. I played it on Vita at work and continue on the Ps4 when I got home so it all became second nature to me. That been said if you can push through at least 10 hours or so on gameplay then it all comes natural. But even with it's difficult parts it's an enjoyable pain in the ass game:giggle:

Yeah very enjoyable, and I definitely want to get through the story, I'm in doubt about whether the platinum is worth the effort for me though.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah very enjoyable, and I definitely want to get through the story, I'm in doubt about whether the platinum is worth the effort for me though.

Just use this playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpMhFBWYnP1FW8yPXX1wkHcvWqSnhsLh0 and follow his route and you'll be done in no time. I heard you on the time part. Having the Vita makes it quicker because of the cross save. Good luck?

2 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

Just use this playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpMhFBWYnP1FW8yPXX1wkHcvWqSnhsLh0 and follow his route and you'll be done in no time. I heard you on the time part. Having the Vita makes it quicker because of the cross save. Good luck1f44d.png

Thanks, I want to get through the game first on my own though. Might check the playlist afterwards for the time challenges.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 6:30 AM, soniq said:

the developer made the game harder over time by giving the final boss new forms and higher levels, depending on how many people beat him.

Maybe that was something that was planned, like the shop keeper dropping an item when you defeated him. But it never actually happened. As far as I can tell, the patch only fixes a bug, that made you unable to pick up dropped monster souls. Since there are 3 trophies associated with that, you really should patch the game before playing. I've fought the boss with the game patched numerous times, and it's always the same. 

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi... Just got 100% on the game..  I am quoting what I wrote in the difficulty thread over at playstationtrophies.org.  Don't have time to type more about the game right now.

(PS3) Not a bad little game.  Somewhat grindy for levelling up.  As you learn the game and what moves are best it becomes much easier.  Pincoya's special attacks at higher levels makes the game pretty easy once you learn them moves.  I finally got the last trophy for capturing Verbum Dei.  I kept missing the chance to get him.  You have to get him real low on health and careful not to kill him instead of capturing.  Get real close to him while facing him then hit your 2 capture buttons.  I missed the capture quite a few times by not timing it right or him moving away..  Just get real close to him to capture.
Giving the game a 3.5 difficulty cause of the capture level 40 enemy trophy.  Have a nice day!

Source: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/226698-trophy-difficulty-rating/