beginners help please

Hi I just picked this up from the store today got both a realm reborn and heavensward. Any starting help would be nice as I'm new to all of this. Hopefully going to take a look when I get home later. If anyone has anything helpful thanks inadvance for any help 

Honestly just do the main campaign to start. It takes a long time, but it's necessary anyway (there's a trophy for completing it) and it introduces you to almost every aspect of the game (well, the parts relevant for trophies anyway).

Other than that, maybe complete any FATEs that you come across (you have to do 1000 total, which is insane), but otherwise you can easily spend the first ~30 hours just playing the main campaign without hindering your trophy progress in any way.

• Like 2

Sweet I'm looking for a game I can sink alot of time in to. Want to stop buying so many games the online fee did bug me of £10 a month however it's been pointed out if I'm only spending £10 a month rather than £40 every month I'm saving. Hopefully will get a bit of time tonight after work. Just need to work out how to log in now one time code thing getting a code thing in the post hopefully in the next few days 

As has been mentioned as a new player you should stick to the campaign, it does a brilliant job of explaining the mechanics of the game and getting you more suited to whatever role you pick (which you can always change at will later on). My best advice is to simply TAKE YOUR TIME. Pay attention to the tutorials, the peculiarities of your class, and how best to function in a group. There are a lot of people who race through content and then reach a wall when they weren't paying attention to basic mechanics - let the tank grab aggro, pay attention to enmity, learn about positionals, etc. It will all be a bit daunting at first but it's pretty simple once you get your head around it. People can be unforgiving to players who end up getting to the later dungeons and make mistakes - not always, but the community isn't always friendly (though in my experience, they are quite helpful, but I've heard a few horror stories). The game will ease you into the harder content anyway - imo it's pretty easy until the optional/hard stuff opens up, then you need to pay a little more attention. There's a mentoring system ingame which is worth joining, it's extremely noob friendly and the people on there should be more than happy to give you advice. It's of course also helpful joining a Free Company (Guilds, obviously ones that are open to newbies though), they are generally speaking quite helpful, and I've been in a few FCs that have gone above and beyond to get people used to playing the game. Just be willing to learn and try not to test people's patience haha.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Its been almost three weeks that I am playing this, so I will share the knowledge I got so far as a fellow newbie:

- stick to a single fighting class as your main. Lots of things are locked by level, including new areas (because monsters can one shot you if you are low-leveled). You can change classes anytime, so dont worry about it;

- get all Disciples of Hand and Land jobs. You can level them just by doing levequests with items and gear you will find doing story mode, for example, and it will help you get items that cant be bought under normal circunstances;

- Proceed on the story to unlock Gold Saucer: right now, there is an event that let you get lots of MGP (Gold Saucer currency);

I'm still using the trial version (waiting for the game to show up on a sale, something that is bound to happen with the Stormblood expansion coming) and I can guarantee that there is a lot to do.

16 hours ago, Such-A-Goonie said:

Done the install last night which took longer than I thought going to play as the dark mage purely because I like playing as mages in any game that I play now. Going to be playing gears on the cerberus server is anyone surprised lol 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, N7SciFiNerd said:

If your in the UK it's 13.99 on the psn store for game and first dlc 

Also if your only doing one character its only £7.69 a month compared to £9.99 i think for more than one (8's the limit i think)

Other points:

- pay attention to your hunting log. It is an easy way to level up quite fast;

- avoid buying equipment. It costs too much, sell for too little and you can get better gear by doing quests;

- pay attention to the Grand Companies supply provisions. It is a good way to level up the Disciples of Hand/Land and most items can simply be bought if you dont want to craft them;

- dont ignore FATE quests. If there is another adventurer already engaged, things will be fast. This is another way to get EXP fast.

@N7SciFiNerd

@ab4h4r4k1

I disagree with fate grinding for lvling. I did it with my fc and it's painfully slow. 

-Do every single quest, not just main quest. I'm lvl 58 smn without hitting Heavensward. 

-Use the party finder! Much faster than the duty finder(especially if it's your first time. On the description put in "Bonus First Time" if it's your first time doing whatever you need done. People flock for that bonus) here's a link on how to use it. 

-Don't grind killing enemies for xp. Slow isn't a bad enough word to use on how slow it is. The quests are !much! much much much faster xp. 

-When you know what "potd" is, and you still feel underleveled, do it, it's the fastest method for gaining levels as of now. 

-Getting in an FC is great for a few reasons including discounts on teleport and boosts to xp! Try to find a smallish one (not 100 members). Usually you get poached by an fc pretty early in the game as they want more members. But it's not necessary. I'm in an FC that's very tiny(but extremely talented) and I solo 99% of everything. Sometimes you'll get someone nice and get gear from them too, either passed down or crafted(most players now have high skills and a lot of money). It never hurts to ask. 

-Get a Bluetooth keyboard, for chatting, in an FC and even later on it's amazing to type fast and still play. I don't use it for any actions. 

-Forget about Gold Saucer, you won't make enough mgp in it to buy anything useful even with the 50%(60% if you're in an fc) boost. I have a pedigree 8 with great stats that I race for hours(1 - 2k mgp per 2 min race depending), and I'm only halfway to 1 million mgp, which isn't enough to buy everything I want. Though I highly recommend starting chocobo racing and breeding, because it is the fastest way to get mgp as of now and you can do it slowly. 

-Master your one job(you'll be thanked by others, a lot) instead of jumping around if possible. 

-But don't get tooo comfortable with the way the skills are for any job since stormblood/update is going to change it up. No need to be confused for a while, and then have to relearn. 

-Finally dont rush the game, have fun!!! 

I'm missing a dozen good points, but for now that should suffice I think! I'll post more later : ) 

Just enjoy the game. Follow your MSQ. Don't burn yourself out with early grind. The beginning is boring as it is. Once you complete the main scenario quest "Into a Copper Hell." Which is a Duty Finder dungeon you can go back to Gridania INN and talk to a little man name "Nojiro Marujiro"  and pick up a quest called "The House That Death Built". This will be the questline to start you on The Palace of the Dead grind. You can grind all the way to 60 with this. Fastest way atm, but it will burn you out. This is also a good way to get your higher weapon item for later so you can beat the Story item level requirement. To finish Heavensward story you need ilvl 245 I believe. And unless you grind your butts of for tomes/lore later, you might be moving along slower than you want. But really no rush, just enjoy the story. Sadly most I know who had finish the game doesnt even know who Louisoix Leveilleur is....

On 6/1/2017 at 9:37 AM, rikwebb said:

Thanks for the info folks I'm at level 17 with one now and level 15 with another one picked conjurer as one and thaumaturge as the other enjoying ranking them both up at the moment been doing what ever quests I can find at the moment seems to be working well hopefully will have quite a while on it again 2morr also. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Just enjoy the game. Follow your MSQ. Don't burn yourself out with early grind. The beginning is boring as it is. Once you complete the main scenario quest "Into a Copper Hell." Which is a Duty Finder dungeon you can go back to Gridania INN and talk to a little man name "Nojiro Marujiro"  and pick up a quest called "The House That Death Built". This will be the questline to start you on The Palace of the Dead grind. You can grind all the way to 60 with this. Fastest way atm, but it will burn you out. This is also a good way to get your higher weapon item for later so you can beat the Story item level requirement. To finish Heavensward story you need ilvl 245 I believe. And unless you grind your butts of for tomes/lore later, you might be moving along slower than you want. But really no rush, just enjoy the story. Sadly most I know who had finish the game doesnt even know who Louisoix Leveilleur is....

The cutscenes go on for way too long. I made a point to pay attention to the story but it just gets too much the 50th time you have to read through a 10 minute dialogue of exposition in between MSQs. In the FC I was in there was only about 2 or 3 people who paid any attention at all to the plot. It's great that an MMO has such an in depth story but the pacing is awful imo

5 hours ago, SkyMason said:

The cutscenes go on for way too long. I made a point to pay attention to the story but it just gets too much the 50th time you have to read through a 10 minute dialogue of exposition in between MSQs. In the FC I was in there was only about 2 or 3 people who paid any attention at all to the plot. It's great that an MMO has such an in depth story but the pacing is awful imo

Ohh yeah for sure some some parts are a bore to read. If when it gets to that point totally feel free to skip. I admit i had skipped numerous parts. But to me the game is a lot more fun and immersive knowing whats going on.

Two things to add:

Feel free to make multiple characters, but since you can level up every class on one character, it can be a massive waste of time since you have to do the main story for each alt character you make. Some people do have 1 alt, but it's really not necessary in this game.

Second is make sure you use a USB keyboard, or at least the PlayStation app on your phone as a keyboard. It is an MMO after all and the best tips you will get are from your fellow players. You will also find if you let people know it's your first time doing a particular dungeon or trial that they are more likely to be a lot more patient with you and more than happy to help you. If you're silent and non-responsive, people may get irritated. Overall the community is really friendly, so make sure you join in. Finding an FC (Free Company) early can also be quite helpful.

37 minutes ago, N7SciFiNerd said:

Ok another question I joined the weavers guild but I can't progress with next part of story my first needle I think it's called whys that? 

I had this happen to me as a fisherman as well. I haven't done weaving but I can give advice.

Make sure to read the journal entry(your journal is your friend). 

-It could be because your weaving skill isn't high enough. 

-It could be because you don't have the necessary items. 

-It could be because you haven't talked to an npc that needs to be talked to. 

That last one can really throw you off. 

I ended up just using a guide in the end to speed things along. 

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/My_First_Needle

Btw gamerescape is awesome

Thanks will try that next time I'm on one more question how long is the main story and first dlc is their anyway I will get both these completed in the next few weeks asking because crash bandicoot is out want to weight up my chances of doing this and then being ready to play stormblood 

50 minutes ago, N7SciFiNerd said:

Thanks will try that next time I'm on one more question how long is the main story and first dlc is their anyway I will get both these completed in the next few weeks asking because crash bandicoot is out want to weight up my chances of doing this and then being ready to play stormblood 

Hope this helps, a list of all the main questlines so far

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

• Like 1

A few other tips that can help you as well;

• When you get your retainers, be sure to send them on as many ventures as possible, they can find some useful stuff, or even stuff that can sell for a small fortune, also use them to sell any unwanted, but valuable items on the market. You will need to be careful which market you assign them to as well, always go with the markets with either a reduced tax rate or no tax rate.
  • Don't be afraid to try craft your own gear, sometimes this can be more effective than waiting for a quest that can give you better gear. You could also craft a surplus to try sell on the markets, not only does it help you make some gil, you're helping out the community.
  • Don't bother buying glamour prisms straight away, these will just be a major waste of gil, best to wait until level 50 at the earliest to put glamours on your equipment. Same can be said for dyes, unless you're at the right level to make your own dye.
  • The various duty roulettes are good sources for experience, mostly leveling roulette, but you will only get the bonus once a day.
  • Do not waste your levequest allowances on Battlecraft (Disciple of War/Magic) levequests, save them for Tradecraft (Disciple of the Hand) and Fieldcraft (Disciple of the Land).
  • Try to get as much of the Challenge Log done as you can, not only will you get experience from most challenges, you will also get gil and company seals from them. It resets every week on Tuesday.
  • Only ever report or vote to dismiss players for legitimate reasons, as reporting or dismissing a player for false reasons is itself a reportable offence.
  • Some FATEs are far rarer to spawn than others, so have patience if you have a quest that requires clearing a particular FATE, or you are working on the Relic (level 50 high-end weapon) or Anima weapon (current ultimate weapon).
  • If you are waiting for a particular FATE to appear, sometimes clearing a nearby active FATE can help.
  • There are guides online for most dungeons, raids and trials, don't be afraid to look these up before doing any instance for the first time, but going in blind can be fun too, just make sure the party knows it's your first time.
  • Don't just get to know how your main class works, learn the exact part your role plays, it can be infuriating for others if you try to deviate from your role, this is especially true if you play as a healer.
  • Some in-game achievements have rewards attached to them, don't forget to claim these when you can.

Wow, I only meant to write a few, kind of got carried away there.

Edited by Lady Blanc

Cons:

1. people are f'king bias when it comes to party finders.

2. This game is grind to the max for items that requires potentially many month of subs to get and becomes useless later on due to upcoming patches and some rebalancing bs.

Pros:

1. Nice game and atmosphere, calming 

2. Nice music

3. Varieties and huge maps.