Problems with my PS4

Pershing24

Its been a month since I've been back on my PS4, but lately I've notice some odd and minor issues that has been happening to it.

First of all, the disc drive eject function on my console might be busted as occasionally, while I'm using it, it will suddenly start ejecting consistently over and over every about 5 seconds. Fortunately it won't do this problem when I'm playing a disc based game. But it sounds really annoying when I don't have my headphones on, and it really bothers me finding my BF! disc on the floor . So far the only solutions is to shut down or restart my console, as my cousin pointed out.

The other problem started more recently, it might have to do with the new TV that I'm hooked up. Seem that every time I close the TV, the console automatically goes to rest mode, but when I close the console first, then the TV, my PS4 will then occasionally do a beeping sound only a few minutes later. I have no idea why or how its doing this, since the console is shut down. But like the first problem its so annoying that I unplug the console to make it stop.

Fortunately the console performance is fine, and I'm just glad the internet is working on it again. But I am concerned that this may cause further problems in its life, like file corruption or damage the disc reader. Any advice?

The ejecting thing is usually heat related, as in overheating, which causes a problem with the eject touch-button. The PS4 can be quite sensitive to over-heating, mine will overheat in the same location that was fine for my PS3, but giving it more air stopped it overheating. Beeping when already off can also be related to heat. The over-heating can also cause a buildup of static electricity. A quick fix for this is to unplug it, wait a minute, then hold the power button. It will beep twice. However, this is only temporary and it will return if you don't stop it overheating.

Some or most TVs now have an "HDMI link" setting that sends a signal to turn off or on all machines along a link. Turning off the TV turns off all machines, while turning on your PS4 should see your TV start. This doesn't work the other way, turning off the PS4 won't turn off the TV and turning on the TV won't turn on the PS4. The setting can be turned off in the TV's settings.

The disc eject is a common problem with the first edition PS4s (I think the Slim and Pro are fine). There are a few things that can cause this, like the little rubber on the bottom of the system touches something or the button is statically charged and is just too sensitive. Quick fix for it is to shut down the console, unlplug it for 5 min then boot it up again and it should be fine. However the fix is only temporary for some people (like me), and to permanently fix it you have to take off the cover of PS4 and disable the eject button (you can eject discs with the controller too). There are some vids on youtube. It does void the warranty if you still have it so do it at your own risk.

The beeping is related to the same issue. When the system is shut down it will beep after like 5 min and keep on beeping periodically because of the eject button.

The reason your system goes into rest mode when shutting off the TV first is because you have the HDMI Device Link enabled in your PS4 settings. And yes it's because of the new TV, it's fully compatible with that feature and your previous one probably wasn't if it didn't do it before.

Edit: Damn, Ninja'd :ninja:

:D

Edited by DizzyDavidson

1 hour ago, Pershing24 said:

First of all, the disc drive eject function on my console might be busted as occasionally, while I'm using it, it will suddenly start ejecting consistently over and over every about 5 seconds. Fortunately it won't do this problem when I'm playing a disc based game. But it sounds really annoying when I don't have my headphones on, and it really bothers me finding my BF! disc on the floor . So far the only solutions is to shut down or restart my console, as my cousin pointed out.

Yeah I had the same problem, my solution was to change the console and try the button expel disc will not touches the surface

I had the eject button problem for the longest time. Temperature was definitely not the issue for me. 
To fix it I removed the little metal cover from the front of it (you don't have to open the ps4 and the part can be reattached if you want). I just have to eject using the controller now but it has been months and I haven't had the issue.

• Like 1

the "ps4 enter rest mode when turned the TV off" I believe it's not a problem of a faulty ps3 or ps4, modern TV or monitors have this feature called smart HDMI cable connection or something, that once you turn on your ps4 or 3 the TV will automatically turned on and directly go to the HDMI channel your console is hooked on, on ps4 case if you turned the TV off the ps4 will goes to rest mode, maybe someone have set this up while you're away from your ps4?

the TV in my mother's room have this feature, on the ps3 I can even use the TV's remote control to navigate the ps3's menu, also I even could play a few games with the TV's remote control but the controls is really weird and hard.

• Like 1

If it's ejecting the disc it means the little rubber piece is expanding when it gets hot.  Just rip it out and you'll be fine.  It's located right beside the eject button, directly on that crack between the gloss side and non-glossy side. 

ps4-random-disc-eject-640x470.jpg

ps4_fix_blu_ray_remove_rubber_blocker.jp

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pershing24 said:

The other problem started more recently, it might have to do with the new TV that I'm hooked up. Seem that every time I close the TV, the console automatically goes to rest mode,

On the PS4 go to Setting-System and uncheck the "Enable Device Link" box.

Edited by skateak

On 2017-06-04 at 11:41 PM, DARKB1KE said:

Yes, it's generally frowned on on every single forum on the internet to cross-post the same thread.  1 thread in the appropriate section is enough:

Yeah sorry about that. I didn't realize I posted this topic twice on the same thread. I also didn't know how to delete the topic, but its clear now.

Won't happen again.

Also thank you for the tip about the rubber blocker, I had no idea about that.

Edited by Pershing24