Now that it's ended, what are your thoughts on Season 3?

My main gripe is the fact that the episodes were far too short to be properly meaningful in their way, and the ending was very lackluster. Don't get me wrong, there were a few great moments sprinkled throughout season 3 and the characters grew on me, but I firmly believe the much shorter episodes stopped it from developing or using its full potential.

I hope Telltale take a break from The Walking Dead for a while.

As a standalone, like the Michonne mini-series, and without Clementine, this would've been a good game. Nothing memorable, but at least an opportunity to dive back into The Walking Dead, before giving us a real, new and improved Season 3 with Clem.

Now that didn't happen. Instead of continuing the series right where it's left off (Clementine being with Kenny, Jane, or the residents of Wellington), they simply jump a few years, kill whoever you chose to be with - which was a dick move to be honest - and give us a new family to care about.

Personally, I liked them, but of course not as much as Kenny and Clem as a Team, for that matter. While getting through the first chapter(s) I always waited for that shift back to Clem as a playable character. The moment never came. Clementine went back to being a sidekick, sometimes a cameo at best, which was really sad.

I was happy with my ending, where nearly everybody survived, so that's good. It's just what they did to and with Clem, that pissed me off. The cliffhanger was kinda unnecessary too. The whole time you help Clem find out what happened to AJ, and the game sort of teases you with the possibiliy to go to the farm after the Richmond incident, but this moment also never comes.

Unfortunately, these short episodes seem to be the norm with Telltale these days. Remember how short the episodes of Batman were compared to earlier games like Walking Dead Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us? I imagine this has to do with the fact that they are developing multiple games (currently working on Guardians and whatever else at the moment) so they don't have as much time to make episodes like they used to.

As for my thoughts on season 3, I thought it was better than season 2 but not as good as season 1. I liked Javi and I think he worked better as a protagonist than Clementine did in season 2. I found myself taken out of the story a lot in season 2 in the sheer disbelief at some of the situations Clem found herself in. For example, the adults would always turn to an 11 year old girl to make key decisions on their survival. I think the Walking Dead series works best when you are playing as an adult with Clem as a side character.

• Like 2

Had its moments but was overall easily the weakest season so far. Did not like Clem being a side character nor the issue of AJ being left unresolved. I would assume that the next season will put her in the center again but my interest in the series has gone down a little and I'm not sure how much I look forward to future content. The first season was a complete surprise and I loved it. The second season was great but not quite as amazing as the first season. This season was just... decent at best.

Edited by Jay_Cash
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

Unfortunately, these short episodes seem to be the norm with Telltale these days. Remember how short the episodes of Batman were compared to earlier games like Walking Dead Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us? I imagine this has to do with the fact that they are developing multiple games (currently working on Guardians and whatever else at the moment) so they don't have as much time to make episodes like they used to.

As for my thoughts on season 3, I thought it was better than season 2 but not as good as season 1. I liked Javi and I think he worked better as a protagonist than Clementine did in season 2. I found myself taken out of the story a lot in season 2 in the sheer disbelief at some of the situations Clem found herself in. For example, the adults would always turn to an 11 year old girl to make key decisions on their survival. I think the Walking Dead series works best when you are playing as an adult with Clem as a side character.

Telltale Games wasn't as well established in 2012 and 2013 as they are today. They basically had to reinvent themselves for The Walking Dead as that basically put life back into a genre that was seen as mostly lackluster and disappointing. Games before The Walking Dead in my view were utter crap compared to what we got back in the 80s, 90s and even the early 2000s.

The Wolf Among Us was pretty decent in my opinion. I knew The Walking Dead Season 1 would be pretty good even before I bought the game but The Wolf Among Us was definitely a surprise. Tales from The Borderlands was pretty solid too. Game of Thrones was one I was rather disappointed with.

I have Batman coming in the mail so I'll see how short the episodes are compared to the earlier games. I know each episode on the older games were around 1 hour 30 minutes, sometimes close to two hours each so it typically took you around eight to ten hours if you were to play them all in one sitting.

This could also mean Telltale Games is beginning to lose it's ground, because it had amazing success with The Walking Dead Season 1 and I haven't really seen anything too amazing come out of them lately. It's the same formula, only worse and more rushed.

• Like 1

This was the most disappointing Telltale game I have played so far. I actually loved the first 3 or so episodes of New Frontier. It became so anti-climactic and predictable near the end that I just stopped caring. It sucks too because I really like Javi, but the narrative was just so bland. Every story turn kind of comes out of nowhere and none of the themes or decisions get time to breathe. Everything just happens.

I'd give it a 5/10. There was some potential there but they fucked up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I actually liked the new season, the characters were good and so was the pace, sure they ducked the kenny storyline (see what I did there ;)?) but I was happy enough with it, although the ending wasn't the best I'd seen (in the way of choices and how some characters died - some of that seemed cheap) however I kept Conrad alive and I gotta say that was a pleasant surprise to myself, but the David storyline was a definite disappointment. Also loved the overall cleanness of the game, although it had more glitches than any other telltale game (and TWAU is still my all time favourite?), so overall, a good attempt and I'm exited for season 4 and TWAU S2 :D

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Very old thread to be replying to but, as a long term Clem fan I really didn't like this. I loved playing as Clem in series 2 and 4, but to me every character that isn't Clem is just plain dumb and annoying. I didn't like anyone apart from Carley and Lilly, Lilly I hated so bad at first but then I like her. 

The last I checked this was supposed to be about Clem, when did it suddenly change to be about others? Yes Lee started it in the beginning and yes, Clem wasn't in the spot light all the time but still it was about getting her back. 2 was nice but again I just hated the characters. Locking a young girl in a shed, I mean she could have got a fever anyway from that bite. 3 was a downgrade could not stand Javi or his family, wasn't interested in their stupid relationship and Clem falling for Gabe? No thanks. I wanted to see Clem with Kenny, give them more time together seriously. Jane was my first choice, because Kenny was losing it. Would not choose her again. 4 was nice to play as Clem again, and AJ was a nice addition seen as he looks out for Clem. I couldn't stand the kids at the school. Nice that Clem has Rosie though. The end was a big disappointment, no way am I believing AJ saved Clem with a cheap timeskip. Bad decision to have cut her leg wide open and the bite, come on. Clem hasn't come that far to die. So no didn't really like this complete series, but love Clem most of all.