Suggestion - White List for Trophies / Games?

White Listing...  

548 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a white list for games like the ones described in the OP?

• To White List...
    • NOT to White List...
    • Undecided/Divided Opinion...
    • Couldn't Care Less...

4 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

So you can just make a false flag and it's automatically accepted? That would lead to more disputes.

Why would I make a false flag? I haven't flagged any game.  

If you wait for the proposal I'm sure you'll understand it better. It's only for a few specific games. 

There will be no disputes. 

It would have triggers, I'm sure there's enough data by now for these very few games, and maybe more accurately their trophies. 

As I said before if it's not automated I'm not going to support it. 

Do you intend to increase the amount of people on the flag team? Grimydawg also seems interested in this method to decrease the work load on him. 

Of course you're the one doing the work/paying for it.

But you're also the one financially benefiting from everyones work by increasing the value of the site and the amount of traffic. So I think it's fair to help those that help you. 

This is where we could use your help  @Sly Ripper and @grimydawg as to me this has to do with the programming and rules/system behind how the flags are done which I know nothing about...I'm actually a bit confused...I've heard that there was a system in place that scans lists automatically but at the same time read that it needs to be done manually...I've also heard that a person must have a minimum of 3 trophies flagged per list but see many disputes where only one is mentioned; fifa 09 comes to mind here...I also thought that if times were proven implausible then the flag would stick regardless of reason but, and I could be wrong on this one, I thought I saw some lifted that were not really plausible...i thought I also read at some point that all manual flags were approved/reject before hitting the dispute stage...no idea if that is true or not...since likely no one knows the system better than you or grimy, your input is critical in determining whether white listing is possible or not...the thing is it needs to be consistent...

The key with the trophies in our proposed list here is the idea of auto-popping...this leads to a 5-10 second gap between the trophies within a few minutes in all of the cases...if an automatic detection system is implemented (if it isn't already), can it scan lists looking for let's say gaps under 15 seconds for these trophies only?...if it needs to flagged manually can anyone compare them before hitting the dispute stage and say "these are only trophies dinged as per the description on the white list"?...hit white list option...I'm not looking for a thorough break down on how the flag system works here, just asking if it is even possible...not knowing much about technology or the flag system makes it difficult for me to have any input on how the system would work on the moderation end of things....if it can be automated then an idea would be to just remove the flag option...if it can't then a possibility would be to add a white list option for grimy/moderators for games like this before deciding if it's worthy of a dispute...I'm hoping they would be able to tell, by sorting by earned date, whether or not the entire list looks illegitimate or not...any thoughts?...

On 6/8/2017 at 9:45 AM, Phil said:

The dispute thread subforum has been one big cluster eff since it opened. I thought the random thread disputing a person's flag was bad. Now that there's a place to vent, everybody wants to be given the white glove treatment for their particular problem.

Agreed. Slightly off topic, but even I think that the rules need to be overhauled for the dispute threads. It's even worse now with people coming in to present nothing but the most ridiculous hypothetical BS.

Now, back on topic, I don't like this idea. In a vacuum, sure. But if we make exceptions for certain games, it will lead to exceptions for other games, because there is ALWAYS an exception to be made. I would prefer simply extending the number of flagged games before an outright ban up to 5 or more. And if hiding games or flagging gales leads to more scrutiny of accounts (which has been cited as a detriment of our current system), so much the better. I personally welcome more scrutiny.

What is this "exception"...an exception of a strike on like 60 trophies?...increasing to 5 flags for any game makes more sense than white listing a few trophies proven to be hackable without consent?...why would other games be added?...do you have suggestions?...now would be a pretty good time to bring them up imo...it's possible we've missed a game plagued by hackers that can auto-pop trophies for other players so would appreciate knowledge of further games...i guess I should state that I'd be more than happy to look into them if I haven't made it obvious enough by now...also welcome to argue why certain games shouldn't be white listed...I would offer to help come up with a programming option on detecting trophies for these games but I would be completely useless...

I think a big deal is being made over something pretty simple here...this would be a big change in a sense but to something very minor...the big question is is it worthy of being implemented?...not my call to make but apparently a majority think it is...

Side note: I'd recommend an instant ban for anyone found editing timestamps...f**k strikes...haha...

Edited by ProfBambam55

4 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

What is this "exception"...an exception of a strike on like 60 trophies?...increasing to 5 flags for any game makes more sense than white listing a few trophies proven to be hackable without consent?...why would other games be added?...do you have suggestions?...now would be a pretty good time to bring them up imo...it's possible we've missed a game plagued by hackers that can auto-pop trophies for other players so would appreciate knowledge of further games...i guess I should state that I'd be more than happy to look into them if I haven't made it obvious enough by now...also welcome to argue why certain games shouldn't be white listed...I would offer to help come up with a programming option on detecting trophies for these games but I would be completely useless...

I understand that you want a single, focused rule dealing exclusively with trophies obtained online from hacked lobbies. But why does that exception trump others? Sure - it does for you, but there are plenty of people who might want a separate exception (for save files, etc.). 

My personal opinion (and only mine) is that making exceptions for single trophies is a bad idea. Yes, I know that good people can get burned by bad players, but that's why you extend the whitelist, rather than try to pick those players who were REALLY good (in this case, those that got burned by hacked lobbies), and those that were only sort of good (those who backed up their own save file and used it elsewhere).

I would prefer favoring none of them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Agreed. Slightly off topic, but even I think that the rules need to be overhauled for the dispute threads. It's even worse now with people coming in to present nothing but the most ridiculous hypothetical BS.

Now, back on topic, I don't like this idea. In a vacuum, sure. But if we make exceptions for certain games, it will lead to exceptions for other games, because there is ALWAYS an exception to be made. I would prefer simply extending the number of flagged games before an outright ban up to 5 or more. And if hiding games or flagging gales leads to more scrutiny of accounts (which has been cited as a detriment of our current system), so much the better. I personally welcome more scrutiny.

I agree there's a lot of hypothetical, that's another reason why there should be automation in place. 

And games haven't been added to the proposal, prof has actually been taking games out of the proposal. 

It's only for a very few select games. 

I feel we've had this conversation before. 

White listing favors none of them...all times are removed from leaderboards, the goal, or so I thought, of the current system...if you think you can find a way to prove either for or against legitimately using save files then all the power to you and I recommend putting together a proposal like this one with evidence on how to detect these lists...I thought about this while drafting this up but concluded that this would in fact be impossible at this point in time...

The exception that trumps others here is that white listing acknowledges that players likely played the game as developers intended...it allows players to just play games for fun or for trophies without having to worry about hackers messing with their lists or the ensuing process of disputing a flag on this site (which also prevents them from joining gaming sessions)... I cannot say the same for save files or other methods of modding trophies...the $hitty part is that their trophies will still be hidden and plat unattainable from this site's perspective...if Sony had an option to delete some trophies, this thread wouldn't exist and people could prove they were legit by redoing the trophies...of course, no such option exists so the idea of white listing might be a solution imo...

On the topic of scrutiny it really doesn't affect much...lists for these games that have implausible trophies outside of our white flag boundaries can still be flagged, disputed, striked, and removed as per usual should it be the case...anyone can still scrutinize as much or as little as they like...

Side note: I actually would prefer for only my friends to be able to see my list, showing them only for the sake of joining gaming sessions, as I don't think trophies matter all that much...I didn't want to be seen as a potential hacker looking to find a loophole in this discussion so they will remain unhidden for scrutiny for the time being...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

When LBP2 or Heavy Fire: Afghanistan saves progress on guest user's profile and autopops loading the said profile, then that's it. That is the legitimate timestamp within the confines of the game. I can't recall a single developer saying how they intended the game to be boosted in multiplayer lobbies, either, rather the opposite. You know there is no such thing as legit leaderboards.

I don't really care how relaxed or strict the leaderboards are, but I'd like to see some logical, equal treatment across the board instead of this ambiguous rules system where some games get preferential treatment and some immediately slap you with a strike. Whatever excuse the site FAQ has to make it appear "less hostile" is irrelevant. You got a flagged game it says leaderboad with cheaters right up there in plain English.

You have RDR where the lobby is hacked for increased RP, you deliberately have to go for activating it, and it indeed produces an "illegitimate" trophy in the sense applied by this site. R* intends you to gain a fraction of RP in that time. But this behaviour and exploiting a hacked lobby is promoted by PSNP. Then you have BLOPS2 where you can get a trophy pop just for joining public multiplayer. Suddenly this is a flaggable "offence", even though it happens within the confines of the game and without action on the user's part. I don't think these games should be treated differently, though I don't see either situation an offence where the integrity of the site would now be horribly endangered.

Just research the mod menus until you agree on a cutoff point where this became possible. Then make the trophies or the game unflaggable and, I guess, not count on the speedrun leaderboards is the extent of what is needed for whatever Sly wants the leaderboards to be. Wouldn't even need any flagging automation and poof, all the disputes go away. I don't really see any more to it. If someone used a bunch of savegames and was sloppy at it, they'd be detected and flagged on other trophies and games eventually. Anyone who complains should complain as much when there is a game changing patch introduced that makes a trophy infinitely easier or harder. It's beyond our scope so just let it go.

As soon Sly makes a transparent, logical decision to deal with the issue I'd imagine all the noise to die down just like they did with PSNP calculated DLC rarity, which is for a fact now a completely imaginary number. But look how happy everyone is anyway! But this thing here, as long as you keep mass tracking accounts that were not created on PSNP to begin with and flagging those accounts for something their owners didn't do, don't expect the talk about it to die down. The current situation goes against the sense of justice of half the people who viewed the thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

I feel we've had this conversation before. 

Well, of course we have. But no agreement was reached, and hence...we're here.xD

Anyway, I'm going to bow out. Like I said, I don't like the trophy whitelist idea, but I don't dislike it so much as to argue it ad nauseum. On the bright side, it's not an idea that would wreck things (like some of the ones I've seen).

@starcrunch061the input is appreciated...I think we need to look at both flaws and benefits so bringing up both points for and against are always relevant...should you or others have other suggestions, comments, criticism, they are always welcome...feel free to bow back in should you have any further insight...

I think @ars has made a valid point here about what is the intention of the flag system and goal of our leaderboards...looking into the available glitches, save files, mod menus, etc is great and ideal and would allow us to sort out a set of rules of plausible timestamps and methods for unlocking each and every game's trophies...this would completely remove the need for a flag/dispute system but imo it would involve way too much effort and be nearly impossible to come up with a solid set of guidelines...I can foresee years and years of debate within these forums before anything conclusive is agreed upon...perhaps a suggestion would be to create a separate thread and try to work through one game at a time to see if the idea is plausible...if anyone is dedicated enough to make it work, hats off to them...

I've taken a small step towards that goal here and done the ground work for a tiny set of trophies on a tiny sample of games...you can count me out of trying to create a master list for all games as I'm way too busy and don't care enough about gaming and trophy stats to get involved...I intend to see this idea through till a decision is made as I think it would be a minor improvement to the flag system if implemented...will it really make a difference in the grand scheme of things?...to some, yes...to others, not at all...I'm not trying to brush off what you've said, just saying that it is way beyond what I'm willing and capable of doing...

Edit: a concrete example of how trying to set up a master list can meet problems...as one might expect, I'll use gta iv as an example...let's say we try to make a rule...anyone who earned cut your teeth and wanted within 3 hours before August 18th is flagged...good but this is not true...there is in fact a way since some time in 2010 to have them both unlock at the same time but I can guarantee that only 0.00000001% of gamers know how or are willing to pull this off so I would have to say it's safe to assume that most people cheated...I could call them out in a dispute and either prove/disprove their times based on the rest of their list or the argument given...after September 2014 there are many combinations that these 2 trophies, plus half million can be earned closely together legitimately but I can't come up with any kind of a set time without making relatively complicated links...I can look at a list and say "this is possible, this is not, and this may or may not be possible"...but it would really be on a case by case basis...

frankly, I have been offered to help sort out these kinds of things for gta iv and I just can't be bothered...for now, my goal is simply to try to have a white list system in place that represents gamers like me who play legit and for fun and don't want their trophies to be f**ked up by some random hackers...revolutionizing the whole flag/dispute system is not something I particularly care about and deserves a thread of its own imo (I think they already exist)...all I got...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone's going to start mapping out the extent of scenarios where you can pop all the trophies for all the 2000+ PS3 games, if you want coverage you'd have to take into account their patches too. You're just going to have to accept the "clean" leaderboards could only ever feature "seemingly possible" timestamps and that's the extent of it.

But I'll say this, if you're going to flag people burned by hacked lobbies as cheaters, you're eventually going to flag early adopters of PS4 as cheaters, as the firmware bug popped random trophies across the trophy database. Any and all unlocks performed by software without your direct manipulation should be legit enough. For the client, it factually did happen within the constraints of their software regardless some people like it or not.

I'm getting confused...if you'd like to look into ps4 games, and suggest white listing, great...I'll stick to the hacked lobby ones and perhaps someone else will attempt save file usage or whatever...I'm sure if they are brought up in a credible, sensible manner they will at least be considered...not trying to be ignorant, just trying to stayed focused...baby steps here...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ars said:

I don't think anyone's going to start mapping out the extent of scenarios where you can pop all the trophies for all the 2000+ PS3 games, if you want coverage you'd have to take into account their patches too. You're just going to have to accept the "clean" leaderboards could only ever feature "seemingly possible" timestamps and that's the extent of it.

But I'll say this, if you're going to flag people burned by hacked lobbies as cheaters, you're eventually going to flag early adopters of PS4 as cheaters, as the firmware bug popped random trophies across the trophy database. Any and all unlocks performed by software without your direct manipulation should be legit enough. For the client, it factually did happen within the constraints of their software regardless some people like it or not.

That's the point of this whitelist. 

So people don't have to dispute

or hide their trophies. 

But they won't be on the leaderboards. 

This is the wrong thread to dispute whether the leaderboards should have a dispute system at all. 

@ProfBambam55 haha don't worry, I'm not trying to change the topic at all. Merely expanded the scope (one time only) to point out there is further justification for a system like this. But then again whitelists are already in use so it's not like PSNP staff members are blind to it.

I haven't commented at all on whether should be a dispute system to lift wrongful flags.

Edited by ars

No worries...so far the discussion here has been excellent and on point...I think what you mentioned makes complete sense in relation to the topic at hand and so expanded on it a bit while trying to avoid derailing my own thread too much...

Honestly, i'd like to hear more criticism towards the proposed idea as I think finding flaw is important in making it as foolproof as possible...there could be a game breaking issue I and others have failed to consider which could completely rule out the idea of white listing or incite further thought into changes that could realistically make it work...

so far, the arguments against the system are kind of just fears of creating a worse problem (which hasn't really been backed up by any formal logic) or thinking that no leniency = no leniency...I can understand where this is coming from but maintain that the current system is kind of adding insult to injury in a sense and that the goal of white listing is to minimize this...what it keeps coming down to, for me, is basically this: we should be encouraging people to play legit and not give hackers the power to potentially ruin a legit player's trophy list without their consent...hackers can't force people to use save files, obtain ofw mods, alter other people's time stamps or jailbreak their systems without their consent...auto-popping is exceptional so deserves to be made an exception imo...simple as that...some may disagree, and that's fine...

is anyone who's against the ideaide at least open to trying it out to see if the site "auto-destructs" before jumping to conclusions?...we can always come back to the system now if major breakdowns occur...you can even post in here "bam, you guys were wrong to think white listing would work..." to which you can expect a reply along the lines of "well, it was worth a shot...now we can say that white listing doesn't help keep the leaderboards just as clean as they were and the legit gamers in this community a little happier...back to square one"...I have broad shoulders...feel free to blame me personally should this end up being the case...I can't foresee why it would but I've been wrong plenty of times in my life before...

I just remembered I owe @Ms Serzilla a reply to the previous post...I'm not sure if the glitch works differently for different people but I'll start off by saying that the guide basically encouraging people to use a glitch created by hackers is somewhat silly...my experience when testing it out was this...after shooting the dead bodies my screen went blurry, sound got weird, I moved in slow motion and money started to go up...the more bodies I shot, the faster it went up but the laggier and glitchier my game became until it eventually froze and I had to reset...i estimate around 50 shots...if i distanced myself a bit from the glitched corpses all of this ended...the guy who claims he did this in pike's basin, if this is indeed how the glitch works, must not be telling the whole truth...it's quite a long gang hideout to complete and there would've had to have been bodies strewn across the whole basin in order to keep the xp boost going...he wouldn't have made it through the whole hideout and reach level 40 at the same time because likely his game would've either been so laggy it would've been hard to play (possibly even freezing) meaning he didn't accidentally shoot a body or that there wouldn't have been enough bodies to keep the xp going or rank him up all the way in the 10-15 minutes it takes a beginner to clear the hideout...the guy claiming he got it in private sessions, must've activated the glitch in a public one first and I believe he mentions this...some people want to be like "yeah, I used the glitch...accidentally though" is what I gather or I'm completely wrong as to how it works...apologies if the latter is the case...I've played the game a lot (enough to complete every single journal challenge aside from the royal flush one...I gave up when my old ps3 died and I lost all my save data...lesson learned about backing up save files) but the hacked lobbies are new to me...

In the end none of this matters...i find the situation with rdr is such a mess that I'm taking it off the white list candidacy and trust that it will be dealt with appropriately by the mods if it's ever mass flagged...cool?...

Edited by ProfBambam55

I think it will be a good enough dispute to simply refer to the trophy guide that promoted the method. Guides go through a lot of scrutiny before they can be published so if a guide team member approves that guide on the website, that means they feel that the methods described in the guide are suitable to be mentioned. If people start getting flagged for RDR for using this method then you might as well tell people that they shouldn't use a trophy guide on PSNProfiles again because information in that guide can get you flagged. Since one of my friends got flagged and got unflagged for explaining that he used the method outlined in the trophy guide, I think anyone can dispute it like that. People should just be flagged for doing things out of order in single player because single player isn't broken. I don't see any reason for someone to say that they activated the glitch at a gang hideout if it wasn't true, considering they weren't disputing a flag or anything, they just explained that there could be more ways to activate the glitch than just a random body on the ground. If someone mass flags the game, they'll be wasting their time if their reason is for doing level 50 too fast, I really doubt the hackers are still on the game at this point and Rockstar hasn't fixed the broken servers. The lobby in particular doesn't need to have hackers in it for the bodies to spawn in public. Level 50 might take a lot less time than it did in the past, but the amount of time the online takes because of the broken multiplayer servers makes up for a short level 50, personally when I was working on the plat I would have preferred the level 50 glitch to not work and for the servers to have been the way they were in the past. Also, the guide writer seems to have left the site entirely considering the fact that they removed their profile from the website and haven't earned a trophy in over a year. 

Edited by Ms Serzilla
  • Like 1

I'd like some clarification on how this whitelist would work. Is the suggestion that all the possible hacked trophies on these particular games that could be hacked be whitelisted for everyone? Or is it triggered only when the system detects these odd timestamps for these games on a player's profile, and that particular player's hacked trophies are then whitelisted?

Edited by LeetWolf2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, LeetWolf2 said:

I'd like some clarification on how this whitelist would work. Is the suggestion that all the possible hacked trophies on these particular games that could be hacked be whitelisted for everyone? Or is it triggered only when the system detects these odd timestamps for these games on a player's profile, and that particular player's hacked trophies are then whitelisted?

It could be either as both are possible, it's dependent on sly and how much work/money is spent. 

Which one prof is putting in the proposal I do not know. 

But the latter is possible if there's doubt.

There's already a "scan" that looks automatically at trophies for inaccuracies. This would be an extension of that if it was up to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

It could be either as both are possible, it's dependent on sly and how much work/money is spent. 

Which one prof is putting in the proposal I do not know. 

But the latter is possible if there's doubt.

There's already a "scan" that looks automatically at trophies for inaccuracies. This would be an extension of that if it was up to me. 

Yeah I wouldn't want my hard earned trophies excluded from the leaderboard just because some people aren't aware of simply not syncing trophies and deleting users if you get hacked.

Edited by LeetWolf2

Please let's not turn this thread into something what it isn't. Grimydawg does way more than he should going through disputes, imagine the toll it takes on someone.

If you presume there's foul play please create a new thread indicating, this is not the appropriate thread to post in

Whoa, just got off work...gonna ask that people take personal issues to pm's please...derailment OK within reason but would like to stay relatively close to white listing topic if possible...there's a thread for dispute suggestions in general already that might be better suited for some of these comments...thanks...

Edit...paraphrase ninja...

I need to look more at the times leet... Ideally on the trophies that have 4-12 second intervals and unobtainable (black ops 2) would be scanned...unfortunately so far It looks like some trophies would fall into that category unlocking normally so I'm kind of at a loss for a solution...would need to be looked over manually for some games that have say 3 or less trophies that have these k in nds of timestamps...figuring out normal vs hacked timing takes a long time to sort...especially in black ops 2 and world at war since the whole list can be popped by a hacker...hopefully I've described this relatively clearly...I'm beat right now...

Edited by ProfBambam55

15 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Please let's not turn this thread into something what it isn't. Grimydawg does way more than he should going through disputes, imagine the toll it takes on someone.

If you presume there's foul play please create a new thread indicating, this is not the appropriate thread to post in

Yeah, I do, but it's no big deal.  People wonder why I'm an asshole at times.  After some thought, I'm not sure if BO2 should be on the whitelist.  It's already unobtainable, and I don't think people who started the game after that should have a pass.  I completely understand people still want to play the game for fun, but I don't want to encounter folks who say their son hacked the game for them or any other nonsense like that.

5 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

Whoa, just got off work...gonna ask that people take personal issues to pm's please...derailment OK within reason but would like to stay relatively close to white listing topic if possible...there's a thread for dispute suggestions in general already that might be better suited for some of these comments...thanks...

Edit...paraphrase ninja...

Folks take this stuff too seriously LOL

Hoping to not have this locked over a few comments...tried to explain idea above...black ops 2 would be auto-white listed ideally for everyone recent or not ( not all trophies, the ones that meet the criteria for illegit times)...it's how to auto-detect that's difficult...looking at legit trophy lists takes a while...get an idea of what's realistically possible in unlocking times order...then make a rule...let's say 3+ 6-second gap trophies or unobtainable after set date = automatic whitelist...no dispute...gta iv and gta v are pretty simple...scan for rank trophies under like 30 seconds or something...white list the ones that come up in this range...again, I don't know technology...just an idea...

And yes, other trophies for these games could still be flagged and mods may still have to deal with save file and cfw users...the focus of the white list is only for potentially auto-popped ones...the rest would appear as normal and be fair game for disputes if implausible...this includes ones that don't look auto-popped but still have odd-looking times...

I would really appreciate some input as to whether all of this is even possible or not...I'm putting a lot of time, effort, and thought into something that doesn't affect me at all...haha...if not even going to be considered may as well say "stop" now...still have many hours of researching and drafting before a proper proposal is put forward...trying to come up with a system that detects 100% foolproof...not easy when you know next nothing about technology...last thing we need are "why did my trophies get white listed?" threads...."it was like 2 years ago, my great grandfather stepped on my cat and it made my cousin fall on my ps3 and I was just about to hit rank 50 with my USB stick in my hand but then I dropped my controller and forgot about it and didn't sync or save cuz I had to rush to the vet and my brother's best friend who is sleeping with our mom came over while I was gone and we all share the console on my account........no wait, I remember now...that trophy had a glitch.......I swear I'm legit"...sorry, a bit of humour...as I said, I'm exhausted...

Edited by ProfBambam55

• 2 weeks later...

finally edited in a rehaul of the OP...could use some good old fashioned criticism...i'll be doing some final tests, polishing up the op a little more and abandoning this topic at the end of the week...could use some help from anyone who knows about setting up scan lists for $hit like trophy lists...cheers...

Edited by ProfBambam55