Why Are the Bosses So Hard?

I'm stuck in Chapter 6 at

Spoiler

V/C's boss battle

.  I'm 2 levels above them, and I think my quartz setup is good.  And yet I cannot defeat C.  But this isn't the only one.  most every boss battle I've played has been 100% harder than the area that it's in.  I can wipe out even the stronger enemies without even getting hit and yet I struggle to survive bosses.  I'm playing Normal mode.  What am I doing wrong?  Honestly, I'm really frustrated despite being so close to finishing my first playthrough.  So, any tips?

Edit: Tried it again at a HIGHER level and I still can't beat him.  I'm using Angie's faint craft, at this point I'm just getting angry

Edited by Alternatewarning

I did my first run on hard, and I didn't have too many problems. It's been a while, but I'll try to help. I can give some general tips, but it would help if you could post what your setup is. 

1. Buff speed to 50% and keep it up at all times.

2. Adamantine Shield completely blocks one attack, even S-crafts.

3. Either use Alisa or her default master quartz. It will auto-revive whoever it is equipped on once per battle. This can really save your ass if you get hit with an S-craft unexpectedly.

4. Delay, delay, and more delay. I'm pretty sure you can delay C, but the chances are pretty low (10 or 15%?). The less turns he gets, the better. Rean and Fie both have crafts that cause delay. One of Angelica's crafts might cause delay as well, I can't remember.

28 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

You can also download the free shiny pom bait, they give boatloads of exp

Dont they give exactly the amount of experience for 1 level up, no matter what level you are? I remember saving those when I was in the last dungeon, barely being able to level up by fighting the enemies there.

7 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

I did my first run on hard, and I didn't have too many problems. It's been a while, but I'll try to help. I can give some general tips, but it would help if you could post what your setup is. 

3. Either use Alisa or her default master quartz. It will auto-revive whoever it is equipped on once per battle. This can really save your ass if you get hit with an S-craft unexpectedly.

4. Delay, delay, and more delay. I'm pretty sure you can delay C, but the chances are pretty low (10 or 15%?). The less turns he gets, the better. Rean and Fie both have crafts that cause delay. One of Angelica's crafts might cause delay as well, I can't remember.

I'm going to try again tonight and I think my main issue is not speed buffing my characters.  I'll give someone adamantine shielf and use Machias' speed buff and see how that works.  Thanks

4 hours ago, ab4h4r4k1 said:

Dont they give exactly the amount of experience for 1 level up, no matter what level you are? I remember saving those when I was in the last dungeon, barely being able to level up by fighting the enemies there.

Yes, but if you don't use them in the first playthrough, they carry over into NG+ and you also get the same amount again from the dlc, so you get double the amount

On 6/8/2017 at 4:35 AM, Cave_Johnson_ said:

I tried this again, all night.  And again I just lost.  

How can I buff speed 50% when everyone has to be spread out not to die right away?  And Adamantine shield is impossible to keep up.

One more try and I DID IT.  Ugg, worst boss in history

Edited by Alternatewarning

On 6/10/2017 at 7:50 PM, Alternatewarning said:

I tried this again, all night.  And again I just lost.  

How can I buff speed 50% when everyone has to be spread out not to die right away?  And Adamantine shield is impossible to keep up.

One more try and I DID IT.  Ugg, worst boss in history

Sorry if it was unclear, but I didn't mean to keep Adamantine Shield up at all times. As for the speed, I'm not quite sure I remember how I did it. I believe I had Rean, Fie, and Angelica spaced apart, but just close enough to cast the speed buff. I used Alisa mainly for healing and cp recovery, and she was positioned as far from the enemies as possible. 

I know you beat it already, but maybe I'll have to go back and do this boss fight again. I might be forgetting something important.

Edit: Okay, so I had a save right before this part, but it was on my NG+ Nightmare run. I didn't carry over levels though, and I even toned down my equipment to what was available at that point in the game.

It took 23 minutes to beat C, but it was pretty easy. I only had two KOs, Angelica got hit with Deadly Cross, and another time I carelessly let Fie get hit by mines. C can't be delayed, so I was wrong about that, sorry. He can be fainted though, which is even more broken than delay. Delay is still really useful in this fight, though. Here's a summary of my strategy:

Party: Rean, Fie, Alisa, Angelica (All around level 60-61)

Some pre-battle stuff: Have at least two party members (not Angelica) be able to cast Chrono Drive. For me, it was Rean and Fie. Having the Black Bell quartz equipped on one of them really helps as well. Make sure anyone except Angelica can cast Adamantine Shield. I'm not sure how it is on Normal, but if you get hit with Deadly Cross on Nightmare, you're fucked.

The actual battle: Rean, Fie, and Alisa should all be close together, towards the back. Angelica will mainly be spamming Zero Impact to keep C down, so she will far from the rest of the party. At the beginning of the battle, buff speed to 50% (cast Chrono Drive twice). You should be able to do this before the enemies get a turn. Immediately have Angelica use Zero Impact (on C). Don't let the two robotic enemies get a turn, ever.

After buffing speed, you should have Rean and Fie focus on delaying the robots, and attacking C when possible. Whoever has the Black Bell quartz should always cast Chrono Drive before the speed buff runs out. Alisa should be healing Angelica when necessary, and using CP restoring crafts on Rean and Fie. If you get surrounded by mines, take them out as soon as possible. Early on, you should also have someone cast Adamantine Shield. As long as you are delaying the robots and destroying the mines, you should be able to keep it up. C generally attacks whoever is closest (Angelica in this case), unless he is using Deadly Cross. As I said before, you won't survive Deadly Cross, which is why you need Adamantine Shield.

That's pretty much it. It's not perfect, but it worked pretty well for me. 

Edited by Cave_Johnson_