More Assassin's Creed Origins info leaked

18 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Remember that the freerun up/down buttons were only introduced in Unity.

Games from way back like Donkey Kong 64 did not need a run button, I fail to see why I should use a button for what I can tell the game to do by tilting the move stick more.

As long as the game remains as fluid as at least ACIII I think it will be enjoyable. If it goes back to how the Ezio games were then idk. I can't live without my fast assassinations lol.

Yeah but at the same time games like Wild Arms, which came out before DK64, for the ps1 had a sprint button. That argument can go both ways. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

As long as the game remains as fluid as at least ACIII I think it will be enjoyable. If it goes back to how the Ezio games were then idk. I can't live with my fast assassinations lol.

Yeah but at the same time games like Wild Arms, which came out before DK64, for the ps1 had a sprint button. That argument can go both ways. 

Replaying Rogue now and it also has a pretty decent flow.

My argument is actually that using the stick for running gives you an extra free button for other stuff, not that old games all did it like that but that it worked fine even back then. Isn't that the whole reason for the existence of pressure sensitive sticks?

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Replaying Rogue now and it also has a pretty decent flow.

My argument is actually that using the stick for running gives you an extra free button for other stuff, not that old games all did it like that but that it worked fine even back then. Isn't that the whole reason for the existence of pressure sensitive sticks?

Yeah after ACIII they kept the fluid movements for the later games. Remember to go fight a certain special character in Rogue. :D Syndicate didn't matter much to me thanks to a certain tool they give you. 

I always saw the reason for analog sticks as a way to stop your thumbs from breaking because of the D-pad lol. (unless you meant something else?)

It could work in some games like shooters where L3 is the sprint, but it all depends on the button mapping of a game. While it could free up a button for something, if it already works where the button isn't used for anything else, why give it something that wasn't there? Speaking of Rogue, isn't the :r1: for sprinting? As well as shooting while aiming? Or is the shooting button :triangle: ? It's been too long for me to remember.

39 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Yeah after ACIII they kept the fluid movements for the later games. Remember to go fight a certain special character in Rogue. :D Syndicate didn't matter much to me thanks to a certain tool they give you. 

Special character? Sure you're not thinking of Revelations?

I always saw the reason for analog sticks as a way to stop your thumbs from breaking because of the D-pad lol. (unless you meant something else?)

Nah I did not mean going from D-pad to stick, I meant the sticks being pressure sensitive. Push a little and you walk, push a lot and you run.

It could work in some games like shooters where L3 is the sprint, but it all depends on the button mapping of a game. While it could free up a button for something, if it already works where the button isn't used for anything else, why give it something that wasn't there? Speaking of Rogue, isn't the :r1: for sprinting? As well as shooting while aiming? Or is the shooting button :triangle: ? It's been too long for me to remember.

Yeah Rogue has a sprint button but every AC game has one. Rogue has fists/blades/swords on :square: and everything else on :triangle:. Think of the use a free button could be... Smoke bombs on :triangle:, pistol on :r1:! I love the idea, I hope they implement something cool.

Personally I don't think every button needs to have a purpose, it should not be "run with :l3: because we needed an extra button for something" but it should be "run with :l3: is good, and now we have a free button if we need one for something".

It's about half past two at night for me though so if you reply again, you'll know why I'll suddenly stop answering.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Special character? Sure you're not thinking of Revelations?

Nah I did not mean going from D-pad to stick, I meant the sticks being pressure sensitive. Push a little and you walk, push a lot and you run.

Yeah Rogue has a sprint button but every AC game has one. Rogue has fists/blades/swords on :square: and everything else on :triangle:. Think of the use a free button could be... Smoke bombs on :triangle:, pistol on :r1:! I love the idea, I hope they implement something cool.

Personally I don't think every button needs to have a purpose, it should not be "run with :l3: because we needed an extra button for something" but it should be "run with :l3: is good, and now we have a free button if we need one for something".

It's about half past two at night for me though so if you reply again, you'll know why I'll suddenly stop answering.

I'll be damned if I can remember how to break up one quote into multiple quotes with the name and stamps attached lol.

Nope. :D I've read you can fight

The Headless Horseman

I didn't know about it until long after I beat the game.

Ohh ok now that I'm reading it again I get it. Idk why I didn't before lol. Tbh when it comes to a sprint button I see it as necessary for games with very extensive maps without fast modes of transportation. Dragon's Dogma for example. Without sprinting that game would be a nightmare and even then, there is a stamina bar keeping you from doing it indefinitely. (which oddly enough uses :l3: lol) And the game is still a nightmare to traverse for a majority of the game. 

As for the bold part. I understand that line of thought, but what else could be added? As far as the buttons go in relation to the what the games have given us, I don't see what a free button could possibly do. Some buttons double up in function between action oriented gameplay and interacting with environment which is normal. I guess we're going to have to see just how in depth the game is in terms of control. (I only say that because to me it seems like they want this game to make the player feel more...in control? Immersed?)

Regarding the game itself.

In Origins if you really do get to ride a camel it will be welcome since I don't remember anything from Revelations to Unity having a way to travel fast. Brotherhood had horses and Syndicate had the carriages. (regarding land traveling at least lol)

Also, what are people's thoughts of The Witcher 3 having any possible influence? Do you think a stamina bar will be implemented and how would you feel about it?

7 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I'll be damned if I can remember how to break up one quote into multiple quotes with the name and stamps attached lol.

Press enter a few times at the spot where you want to break up the quote. If you're doing this right in front of more text you'll have to jump up once to one of the empty lines or else you'll just be extending the one quote.

Nope. :D I've read you can fight

Reveal hidden contents

The Headless Horseman

I didn't know about it until long after I beat the game.

Never heard about that, and I stopped playing last night after finishing the collectibles in the town associated with that character.

Ohh ok now that I'm reading it again I get it. Idk why I didn't before lol. Tbh when it comes to a sprint button I see it as necessary for games with very extensive maps without fast modes of transportation. Dragon's Dogma for example. Without sprinting that game would be a nightmare and even then, there is a stamina bar keeping you from doing it indefinitely. (which oddly enough uses :l3: lol) And the game is still a nightmare to traverse for a majority of the game. 

But why wouldn't you just use :l3: for sprinting? Not having a sprint button does not mean no sprinting, it just means you'll sprint if you push :l3: all the way forward. Isn't that how the Ubisoft Prince Of Persia games did it, by the way?

As for the bold part. I understand that line of thought, but what else could be added? As far as the buttons go in relation to the what the games have given us, I don't see what a free button could possibly do. Some buttons double up in function between action oriented gameplay and interacting with environment which is normal. I guess we're going to have to see just how in depth the game is in terms of control. (I only say that because to me it seems like they want this game to make the player feel more...in control? Immersed?)

Why use the button for anything though? Having so many buttons on the controller does not mean we need to use all of them all the time. And as I said before the bold part, I'd like for the guns (and other shooting weapons) to get a separate button. Since we're going to Cleopatra's Egypt though, I think we'll go to an Assassin's Creed without guns again but bows could be a thing.

Regarding the game itself.

In Origins if you really do get to ride a camel it will be welcome since I don't remember anything from Revelations to Unity having a way to travel fast. Brotherhood had horses and Syndicate had the carriages. (regarding land traveling at least lol)

Well, I don't know which game started it but at some point (Black Flag onwards I think), fast travel to viewpoints became a thing so fast travel with an animal wasn't needed as much any more.

Camel riding would be cool though.

Also, what are people's thoughts of The Witcher 3 having any possible influence? Do you think a stamina bar will be implemented and how would you feel about it?

I would not like a stamina bar (which loads of other games have as well, by the way). Assassin's Creed was always about running and climbing indefinitely.

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

Press enter a few times at the spot where you want to break up the quote. If you're doing this right in front of more text you'll have to jump up once to one of the empty lines or else you'll just be extending the one quote.

Interesting. I don't remember it working like this on any other forum. :hmm: Thanks.

Never heard about that, and I stopped playing last night after finishing the collectibles in the town associated with that character.

But why wouldn't you just use :l3: for sprinting? Not having a sprint button does not mean no sprinting, it just means you'll sprint if you push :l3: all the way forward. Isn't that how the Ubisoft Prince Of Persia games did it, by the way?

It's been at least a decade since I played the PS2 PoP games so I have no clue. As for AC. Given how easily all the characters will run up a wall and fall over when bumping through crowds, I don't see :l3: being as simple as using a dedicated button. If you near a wall/object that's climbable with a button you just let it go and keep moving. With the :l3: you'd probably have more problems releasing it.

Why use the button for anything though? Having so many buttons on the controller does not mean we need to use all of them all the time. And as I said before the bold part, I'd like for the guns (and other shooting weapons) to get a separate button. Since we're going to Cleopatra's Egypt though, I think we'll go to an Assassin's Creed without guns again but bows could be a thing.

It doesn't, necessarily. Personally though? I find a dedicated sprint button easier to use when moving around than pressing in :l3: and moving around. Even in FPS games I always found it a tad irritating. (I don't consider myself heavy handed with controllers either) 

Tbh I thought there were separate buttons for aim/shoot. I have a shit memory though, the only thing I remember was quick shooting in ACIV where I think it was just pressing :triangle: a few times to get off quick shots.

Well, I don't know which game started it but at some point (Black Flag onwards I think), fast travel to viewpoints became a thing so fast travel with an animal wasn't needed as much any more.

Camel riding would be cool though.

Fast Travel was introduced in Brotherhood I think. The little tunnels that you could renovate to travel around the map. I don't remember if AC2 had something similar. Horses were still there though. You're probably right about them not being needed hence having them taken away. (Now I wonder if fast travel will be around for Origins.)

I would not like a stamina bar (which loads of other games have as well, by the way). Assassin's Creed was always about running and climbing indefinitely.

I wouldn't either. I'm hoping to see some gameplay soon to confirm whether it'll have one or not.

Saw that some info was liked about Assassin's Creed: Origins being the first in a new trilogy, and the next one being set in Greece, at most a decade after the end of Origins... Seeing as this game is supposed to take place during the reign of Cleopatra, that would be an interesting time to be in Greece indeed. Perhaps the third game will see us in the Roman Empire, an Auditore perhaps even?

5 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

*moving my post* :P 

Yeah I posted there as well. I'll definitely get that collector's edition :)

On 11-6-2017 at 10:54 AM, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Interesting. I don't remember it working like this on any other forum. :hmm: Thanks.

You're welcome. Didn't reply to this post yet but wanted to say a few things so replying now :)

It's been at least a decade since I played the PS2 PoP games so I have no clue. As for AC. Given how easily all the characters will run up a wall and fall over when bumping through crowds, I don't see :l3: being as simple as using a dedicated button. If you near a wall/object that's climbable with a button you just let it go and keep moving. With the :l3: you'd probably have more problems releasing it.

... You release the sprint button when you climb? I don't... anyway it seems that there will be less climbing in this game, so shouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't, necessarily. Personally though? I find a dedicated sprint button easier to use when moving around than pressing in :l3: and moving around. Even in FPS games I always found it a tad irritating. (I don't consider myself heavy handed with controllers either) 

Tbh I thought there were separate buttons for aim/shoot. I have a shit memory though, the only thing I remember was quick shooting in ACIV where I think it was just pressing :triangle: a few times to get off quick shots.

Yeah you have :triangle: for quick shots with whatever your secondary weapon is (pistol, smoke bomb, throwing knife...) but you can also aim with :l1: and fire then with :r1: .

Seeing the gameplay from Origins, I'm guessing the bow is aim and fire only and we have knifes for the quick shots.

Fast Travel was introduced in Brotherhood I think. The little tunnels that you could renovate to travel around the map. I don't remember if AC2 had something similar. Horses were still there though. You're probably right about them not being needed hence having them taken away. (Now I wonder if fast travel will be around for Origins.)

Yeah but I meant the later kind of fast travel that actually allowed you to choose a specific viewpoint to travel to.

Anyway it seems that horses are back in Origins, don't think I spotted any camels.

I wouldn't either. I'm hoping to see some gameplay soon to confirm whether it'll have one or not.

Haven't seen much running/climbing but there was no visible stamina bar, so I guess we can breathe easily.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Saw that some info was liked about Assassin's Creed: Origins being the first in a new trilogy, and the next one being set in Greece, at most a decade after the end of Origins... Seeing as this game is supposed to take place during the reign of Cleopatra, that would be an interesting time to be in Greece indeed. Perhaps the third game will see us in the Roman Empire, an Auditore perhaps even?

I really hope it's not in Cleopatra's reign. Egypt was a doormat by that time as it had been conquered numerous times the prior 1,000 years. Funny that Ubisoft would sell the idea of "Empire" and then put it in a time frame when they had no empire! 

Nothing's happening in Greece 1st century BCE either other than getting steamrolled by the Romans. 

I really wish they set these Egyptian/Greek games earlier in their heydays. Ramses the Great, Ahmenhotep, the Mycenaens, Peloponnesian wars, Alexander would be better time frames. 

Pretty hyped for this game. I was really disappointed with Syndicate. After seeing the brief gameplay at E3 it does look like it will be fun to play and new abilities and RPG elements look to be a great addition. Happy it will be out this year as well. Only 4 months away :)

9 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

I really hope it's not in Cleopatra's reign. Egypt was a doormat by that time as it had been conquered numerous times the prior 1,000 years. Funny that Ubisoft would sell the idea of "Empire" and then put it in a time frame when they had no empire! 

Nothing's happening in Greece 1st century BCE either other than getting steamrolled by the Romans. 

I really wish they set these Egyptian/Greek games earlier in their heydays. Ramses the Great, Ahmenhotep, the Mycenaens, Peloponnesian wars, Alexander would be better time frames. 

My line of thought was that Cleopatra was a Templar, killed by an assassin even (established in Assassin's Creed II, where you explore the tomb of this assassin). Getting to play her in DLC would be awesome. And side files in the games mention Gaius Julius Caesar as being funded by the Templars...

I don't know, I guess it would be very cool to see the trilogy working up to the Roman Empire under Caesar. Though yeah, a timeframe like that means having the Romans at their coolest at the cost of seeing Egypt and Greece after the fact.

I decided to search for more info...

https://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-origins-need-know-new-setting-new-hero-new-action-rpg-gameplay-e3-2017/

“Egyptian history spans thousands of years,” says Maxime Durand, the development team’s resident historian. “Egypt’s civilization began about 3,000 years before the game’s era, and Ptolemaic Egypt is this period of about 300 years.”

I guess I don't have to tell @PerryToxteth this seeing how he talks about Egypt but for others wondering, "Ptolemaic" Egypt ended with Cleopatra and started about 300 years earlier, at the end of what's called "Ancient" Egypt. So sorry to say Perry but it seems like you're not getting the game you wanted.

Personally though, I think that this will bring the series closer to the earlier Assassin's Creed games. A lot had to do with being in an old civilisation, while the characters from the past themselves are walking around remains from even older civilisations - with Altaïr, much was to do about the crusades to the ancient holy land, with Ezio, especially in Brotherhood the influence of the Roman Empire (by that time long gone) seeped through.

It is for this, that I think it's fitting to see Egypt during Cleopatra's time, when much of Ancient Egypt is already passing on into legend. And ending it in Italy, during the final years of Caesar, would be a great conclusion to said trilogy as well as a great way to loop back to Ezio.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

My line of thought was that Cleopatra was a Templar, killed by an assassin even (established in Assassin's Creed II, where you explore the tomb of this assassin). Getting to play her in DLC would be awesome. And side files in the games mention Gaius Julius Caesar as being funded by the Templars...

I don't know, I guess it would be very cool to see the trilogy working up to the Roman Empire under Caesar. Though yeah, a timeframe like that means having the Romans at their coolest at the cost of seeing Egypt and Greece after the fact.

I decided to search for more info...

https://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-origins-need-know-new-setting-new-hero-new-action-rpg-gameplay-e3-2017/

“Egyptian history spans thousands of years,” says Maxime Durand, the development team’s resident historian. “Egypt’s civilization began about 3,000 years before the game’s era, and Ptolemaic Egypt is this period of about 300 years.”

I guess I don't have to tell @PerryToxteth this seeing how he talks about Egypt but for others wondering, "Ptolemaic" Egypt ended with Cleopatra and started about 300 years earlier, at the end of what's called "Ancient" Egypt. So sorry to say Perry but it seems like you're not getting the game you wanted.

Personally though, I think that this will bring the series closer to the earlier Assassin's Creed games. A lot had to do with being in an old civilisation, while the characters from the past themselves are walking around remains from even older civilisations - with Altaïr, much was to do about the crusades to the ancient holy land, with Ezio, especially in Brotherhood the influence of the Roman Empire (by that time long gone) seeped through.

It is for this, that I think it's fitting to see Egypt during Cleopatra's time, when much of Ancient Egypt is already passing on into legend. And ending it in Italy, during the final years of Caesar, would be a great conclusion to said trilogy as well as a great way to loop back to Ezio.

Billy, thanks again for the always enlightening info! You make a lot of great points of getting the story full circle.  

Really, I'm still very excited about a new AC release, I think Egypt will be a great venue. Let's just say about the time period that it doesn't look I'll be getting everything on my Xmas list. Oh well.  I'm glad they took a year off to reinvent the franchise.

I really hope Greece is next too. My ultimate dream though is October Revolution Russia. The Tsar vs. Lenin with the majestic city of St. Petersburg as a backdrop. It would be gaming gratification at its finest for me. 

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Billy, thanks again for the always enlightening info! You make a lot of great points of getting the story full circle.  

Really, I'm still very excited about a new AC release, I think Egypt will be a great venue. Let's just say about the time period that it doesn't look I'll be getting everything on my Xmas list. Oh well.  I'm glad they took a year off to reinvent the franchise.

I really hope Greece is next too. My ultimate dream though is October Revolution Russia. The Tsar vs. Lenin with the majestic city of St. Petersburg as a backdrop. It would be gaming gratification at its finest for me. 

Well, AC Chronicles went to Russia, so it's probably not high on their list for the main franchise. It's why I'm afraid I will not get an Evie in India game - Chronicles went there as well.

Personally, I'd rather have games set farther back in time. We've been coming closer to the present day ever since but for me, the series has always been about civilisations from centuries ago. Basically, anything more recent than the age of piracy is too recent for me.

P.S. @all: what are our thoughts on the giant snake? Are we actually going to see some semi-mythical beast, or will this be some sort of illusion? I'm expecting the latter, though the former would be cool.

Edited by BillyHorrible

On 6/12/2017 at 2:27 PM, PerryToxteth said:

They did put it during that time to give them more freedom as there is less history documented, so if that works and sales are increasing they might explore that time period more. Ancient Greece would be a great setting for an AC game for sure!

16 hours ago, Razza said:

Some interesting things revealed in this interview :D 

Multiple playable characters in select missions? ....... There's still hope for Connor & Arno Rift sequences then :D 

Great link! Thanks for including!

I am utterly flabbergasted by the dev talking on the historical accuracy. They chose 49 BC in that it's the "beginning of the demise" for Egypt. That is a beyond stupid statement. The demise happened 1,000 years before Cleopatra. Just an example, the Libyans invaded Egypt centuries before this! In today's terms, that's like the U.S. being invaded by Canada and Trudeau ousting Trump (actually, that sounds awesome!). 

I get the Ubi devs picking the era when they can juxtapose Caesar off of Cleopatra off of Marcus Antoninus, and mix in a little Pompey here and there, but be honest, Cleopatra knew she had a shell of an Empire and was going to bedfellow whomever to keep the dynasty going. Her sexual prowess was the only power Egypt had left in 49 BC! 

- The rift sequences in Unity were some of my favorites. Belle Epoque was exceptional. 

• Like 1