Spider-Man916

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. What we should expect from Rockstar Games with the sequel

15 posts in this topic

Howdy, y'all.  Just hear to give my thoughts on what we should expect and what might happen with Rockstar Games' sequel to the phenomenal Red Dead Redemption.  As the title might imply, like the Clint Eastwood western, I think we should expect a mix of the three - the good, the bad and the ugly - with this game.  Am I going on record and saying all of the following will DEFINITELY happen?  No way.  Absolutely not.  This is, like most topics here on the forums, for conjecture's sake.  I, by no means, have a crystal ball and am able to see in the future.  Basically, this is based on my observations of the game industry and of what Rockstar Games has done with their games in the past, both distant and recent.  With all of this in mind and in accordance with the title, I've divided the following up into three different sections for the three different categories.

The Good

Firstly, and most importantly....we're getting a sequel to Red Dead Redemption.  That's something that almost everyone who has played and fell in love with the game wants and has been waiting for.  This, alone, is good news.  If Rockstar excels at anything, it's creating games that are immersive, transporting experiences.  RDR was just that.  Immersive.  Transporting.  It had a damned good, thought-provoking story that made one question who the good guys are.  The characters, themselves, especially John Marston, all felt real and relatable.  Most notably though was the setting, the environment.  RDR made one feel like they were in the Old West.  This isn't just true of the single player story/campaign either.  Rockstar managed to pull off something with RDR that very few, if any, game developers manage to pull off and that's creating a real sense of immersion in the online multiplayer.  Rockstar really shined here.  I easily played upwards of 150 hours of the multiplayer and I always felt like I was in the Old West.  I felt as immersed in the Old West environment in the online component of the game as I did in the story campaign.  So what can we expect from RDR 2?  I think we can expect Rockstar to successfully repeat all of the above with RDR 2.  I think we can expect a thought-provoking, emotionally-moving story with incredibly realistic character development and an immersive, transporting experience both from the story campaign and the online portion of the game.  This is the good.

The Bad

Yes.  There could be bad.  Am I saying that what follows WILL DEFINITELY be the case?  No.  Could it and is it likely?  YES.  So what is the bad?  I mean, so far, I've said so much good about Rockstar and RDR that some of you must think that I'm employed by them. (I'm not.)  So what could be the bad?  I mean this is Rockstar Games.  Makers of critically-acclaimed games that always receive tons of accolades and high praise.  How could there be anything bad?  Well, depending on your point of view, there is.  What I'm about to touch upon doesn't concern just Rockstar, but the game industry as a whole.  In a word, microtransactions.  Yep.  The big, pink elephant in the gaming world.  We've all heard the adage by now: If they're done right, they're not that bad.  Yeah yeah yeah.  Tell me another one.  Though I don't have a crystal ball and can't claim to see the future and don't like predicting things, this one seems pretty certain.  Definite?  No.  Highly likely?  Yes!  Considering Rockstar loves selling all of those shark cards for GTA V and, clearly the consumerist, instant gratification masses are buying them, I think we can say that it's highly likely RDR 2 will have some sort of microtransactions.  So how bad could that be?  Well, that depends on how balanced it all is and how greedy Rockstar could be.  This, of course, mostly applies to the online multiplayer.  With any online multiplayer, one can expect a "grind", so to speak.  We all know this.  That's fine.  I don't see anything wrong with having to sink 100 hours or so into an online component in order to fully level up, earn all the main game trophies and/or dlc trophies and do everything there is to do....as long as one finds it enjoyable and it is regarded as enjoyable, immersive and fun by the majority of players.  That's good.  That's called a well-made, successful mp.  However, if Rockstar makes the grind, say, 300 hours....500 hours.... or more....in order to fully level up and/or earn all the main game trophies and the platinum thus causing people to buy their damn microtransactions, that's bad, in my opinion.  Very bad.  Could/would Rockstar do this?  I don't think so, but greed is a powerful motivator in the corporate world.  To go along with this, will Rockstar put all their time, energy and efforts into microtransactions, creating the need for microtransactions and/or trying to make microtransactions more enticing that they pass on creating additional single player story dlc because it costs more to make and doesn't generate as much revenue as microtransactions?  Possibly.  And that would be sad.  Rockstar created the trippy, campy, outlandish Undead Nightmare dlc for RDR's story campaign.  It would be great to get an Undead Nightmare 2 or something equally good that expands on RDR 2's story campaign.  Will we get something like that?  I, for one, sure as hell hope so.  Is it likely we will?  Hmm.  Hard to say at this point.  I'll lean towards yes, but if we don't and we get a bunch of shark card knock-offs microtransactions flooding the PSN store instead then we know why.  This would be bad.

The Ugly

The Ugly?!  What do you mean, "ugly"?  There's nothing ugly about Rockstar and the games it produces.  Au contraire, monfraire.  This is where you'll know I am no Rockstar fanboy.  Far from it.  Yeah.  Rockstar makes great, amazing, immersive, thought-provoking games.  Yep.  They do.  We all know this.  Tons of accolades as I've already mentioned.  High praise from all corners of the media.  Yep.  Great games.  Great....glitch-riddled, sometimes broken or near-broken games.  Yeah, I said it.  Tell me I'm wrong.  Let's go to the history.  First off, let's go with RDR.  Can't say it enough, an amazing game.  Yep.  Amazing.  While it didn't really suffer from any game-breaking glitches, it did have more than it's fair share of visual glitches.  For the most part, they tended to be harmless i.e. didn't negatively affect gameplay and were often amusing and humorous.  In fact, one can do a search on YouTube and find plenty of videos of these humorous, visual glitches (the best examples would be bird people and horse woman).  You might say, "Okay.  Well, that's not so bad.  It certainly isn't ugly."  True enough.  Let's skip forward two years to 2012 and Max Payne 3.  Now....it gets ugly.  The game was and, in my opinion and from my own experience, still is a broken game.  We're not talking about the humorous, harmless, amusing visual glitches a la Red Dead Redemption.  No.  We're talking game-breaking glitches.  Countless crashing and freezing problems?  Check.  Audio dropping out glitch?  Check.  (That happened to me in the one section of the game you definitely need audio.)  Enemies not spawning so you can't progress glitch?  Checkity-check-check.  And many others.  I played the game back in 2013 after the game had already been out for well over a year and it was still glitch-y and broken.  I went on Rockstar's site to the game's forums to check on the patch updates and it had already been updated/patched like 30 or 40 times already.  That....is a broken game.  If you have the platinum, it's not just because of skill.  You're just damned lucky you weren't hit with a flood of game-breaking glitches like I and many others were.  Game-breaking, glitch-riddled game.  However, that's not all.  Let's skip to September 2013 and GTA V where it originally released on PS3.  What was the issue with that?  The bane of all trophy hunters.  Glitched trophies.  I was reading all about it on this and every other site's forums.  Yeah.  Wonderful.  Way to go, Rockstar.  THAT....is the ugly thing about Rockstar Games and the games they produce.  They produce amazing games that get lots of hype....but quality assurance?  That seems to be non-existent.  Quality of the finished product i.e. gameplay functionality of the finished, released product?    In my opinion and based on the history, I would say questionably mediocre at best, downright horrid at its worst.  That's the ugly truth with Rockstar Games in a nutshell.  What can we expect from RDR 2?  In regards to the quality of the finished product upon release, sadly, I'd say probably more of the same.  This is the ugly.

'Nuff said.  What do all of you think? 

1 hour ago, damon8r351 said:

I expect nothing until we get more info.

42 minutes ago, ShadowStar83x said:

Doubt we'll hear anything about it during E3. 

Agree with both, also it's already confirmed that RDR2 will not be at E3 this year. Probably won't get any new info until maybe the end of the year.

10 hours ago, Spider-Man916 said:

Au contraire, monfraire

It's "mon frère", the phrase is French for "On the contrary, my brother".

Seems to me like you're trying a bit too hard to get RDR2 in the "good/bad/ugly" frame.

Personally, the only ugly thing about RDR2 is the name - after Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption, they should have gone with Red Dead Revolution or something.

Rockstar is one of the few developers out there I unconditionally trust. But then again I don't care about grindy multiplayer or whatever, I just want a great single player experience and I know they will deliver.

You're saying Rockstar does not have quality assurance, based on a few glitched trophies? Come on.

Edited by BillyHorrible

What's the point of this topic? There is no new info, no new trailer and Rockstar never announces games/shows trailers at E3. They do it whenever they feel like it. 

It'll be what you expect. They've seen how much money is in microtransactions and online so that's going to be a big part of the game. I'd rather have a pure single player experience but what can you do. 

49 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

It's "mon frère", the phrase is French for "On the contrary, my brother".

Seems to me like you're trying a bit too hard to get RDR2 in the "good/bad/ugly" frame.

Personally, the only ugly thing about RDR2 is the name - after Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption, they should have gone with Red Dead Revolution or something.

Rockstar is one of the few developers out there I unconditionally trust. But then again I don't care about grindy multiplayer or whatever, I just want a great multiplayer experience and I know they will deliver.

You're saying Rockstar does not have quality assurance, based on a few glitched trophies? Come on.

Did I say Rockstar doesn't have quality assurance based on a few glitched trophies?  No.  What did you do?  Just read part of the article or only focus on one thing?  Max Payne 2 was and still is a broken game.  It's riddled with game-breaking glitches.  This is well known.  Red Dead Redemption had its fair share of visual glitches.  And yes, GTA V, when it first came out, had several issues with glitched trophies among other issues.  Based on that, Rockstar is a developer that you "unconditionally trust"?  Okay.  To each, their own.  I certainly don't. 

4 minutes ago, Spider-Man916 said:

Did I say Rockstar doesn't have quality assurance based on a few glitched trophies?  No.  What did you do?  Just read part of the article or only focus on one thing?  Max Payne 2 was and still is a broken game.  It's riddled with game-breaking glitches.  This is well known.  Red Dead Redemption had its fair share of visual glitches.  And yes, GTA V, when it first came out, had several issues with glitched trophies among other issues.  Based on that, Rockstar is a developer that you "unconditionally trust"?  Okay.  To each, their own.  I certainly don't. 

Nope, I read more, I just chose to focus on a few bits. You definitely talked a lot about trophies.

I played many of Rockstar's games early on, at least three times with nothing but the day one patch (Red Dead Redemption, GTA V, LA Noire), and I never saw any "broken" game. I've got a great experience every single time. I've seen more glitches when playing Witcher 3 this year, years after it was released, than in all the Rockstar games I've played put together. And I'm not whining about Witcher 3 being "broken", just saying it still has a big bunch of glitches, but it's a good game nontheless.

So yeah, unconditionally. Definitely.

Hi! This is my first post on the forum and I am relatively new here. Started using PSNProfiles this year in March. Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to be a great game just like the first one and Rockstar Games is my favorite game makers.

I agree with you, BillyHorrible.

For instance, when Gta V Online came out on Oct. 1/13 it was broken. Lots of people complained. They patched it immediately.

I don't want to start about microtransactions. All I can say is it's not required to play Gta V Online and it's Rockstar Games who decides what to put in their game also other games have way worse microtransactions, I don't want to mention any.

1 hour ago, NameisBenceF said:

Hi! This is my first post on the forum and I am relatively new here. Started using PSNProfiles this year in March. Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to be a great game just like the first one and Rockstar Games is my favorite game makers.

I agree with you, BillyHorrible.

For instance, when Gta V Online came out on Oct. 1/13 it was broken. Lots of people complained. They patched it immediately.

I don't want to start about microtransactions. All I can say is it's not required to play Gta V Online and it's Rockstar Games who decides what to put in their game also other games have way worse microtransactions, I don't want to mention any.

Your first post and you're agreeing with me... I like you already! B)

I think we also got a lot of in-game money from them as apologies for how hard it was to get into GTA Online at the beginning. Like, 1M or so? Anyway it was enough to buy the top appartment in Los Santos :)

I don't like microtransactions in games but I also don't get why so many people complain about them when they're completely optional. People complained with the last two Assassin's Creed games as well but I had no problems completing them without paying extra; if you know how the games work it's easy enough to make in-game cash anyway, microtransactions are for lazy people.

RDR multiplayer had a lot of issues.  The servers were down on multiple occasions and for periods of time.  At different times, certain trphies wouldnt unlock making the plat impossible.  Getting connected to a lobby or even free play had terribly long load times and all too often required a game quit.  When you finally did start a session, joining players would end the current game (on most game styles) no matter how far along you were.  online was decently fun, but an absolute pain.

I didn't play much GT4 online, but for a long time it was impossible to level up.

THE GOOD - It's a Rockstar game

THE BAD - The release date to far away

THE UGLY - "Insert coin"

I just hope they have a trophy for tying someone to the train tracks and letting magic happen again.

1 minute ago, Tora Chan said:

I just hope they have a trophy for tying someone to the train tracks and letting magic happen again.

that was absolute best 😃 really enjoyed doing this even after i got trophy