New God of War E3 trailer

DrakeHellsing

A good trailer. And it finally answered some questions that I had:

- the story is on the realm of the Norse Gods;

- it seems Kratos has become a world legend and the Norse Gods sees him as a threat. That is why he is attacked;

- again, it looks like he will have the help from the enemies of the gods (as seen in the last scene)

But it left other questions:

1- Who is the boy's mother? If related to Norse mythology, could it be Brunhilde?

2- I dont think Kratos is the boy's father. In the last scene, with the Serpent of the World, Kratos cant understand what the monster is saying, but the boy can. So why would Kratos be protecting him?

• Like 1

I'm excited for this too. And am really looking forward in getting to know what happened to him in the years between GOW III and this game. Hopefully they tell us instead of making another interquel afterwards. I'm especially intrigued by the axe because he seems to have it from the beginning of the game.

19 minutes ago, ab4h4r4k1 said:

2- I dont think Kratos is the boy's father. In the last scene, with the Serpent of the World, Kratos cant understand what the monster is saying, but the boy can. So why would Kratos be protecting him?

It is implied that Atreus and his mother lived without Kratos for a while. So he probably isn't as fluent in his wife's native language as his son is. Because you know, when he's out killing monsters and gods he's not really that talkative. He has spoken more in this trailer than in the whole franchise, lol.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

And am really looking forward in getting to know what happened to him in the years between GOW III and this game. Hopefully they tell us instead of making another interquel afterwards.

I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure they said he's not the same Kratos. He gets reincarnated every time the new set of gods get too powerful, so he can act as death for them.

Kinda the same way Link gets reincarnated every time Ganon comes back in the Zelda games.

56 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure they said he's not the same Kratos. He gets reincarnated every time the new set of gods get too powerful, so he can act as death for them.

Kinda the same way Link gets reincarnated every time Ganon comes back in the Zelda games.

What...? Man, I seriously hope that is not the case. One of the things that made Kratos so likeable was the fact that he was a mortal (and a demigod as we learned later) who challenged the gods. This would make him a tool for whatever force there is, something that is way opposite to Kratos' beliefs.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Nope, where did you read that? That information is non canon or at least not true. Can we get a source?  Fact is that after he commited suicide (GoW3) we can see his body near the cliffs. The body is gone after the credits. He either survived or some greater power ressurected him (like Gaia did in GoW2). This IS the same Kratos from the previous games. Thing is he chose to live away from ancient Greece and to start a new life. More will be explained on the upcoming game. You can call this game a soft reboot, it keeps the main character, but changes the settings.

Edited by TheGwynbleidd
  • Like 1

I've always enjoyed the God of War games but I've never liked Kratos as a protagonist, this trailer has done more to make him more realistic and likable than all the previous games combined and now I'm actually excited to play the game and learn more about Kratos' story, he actually has a chance to become an interesting character now. 

Parker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

That probably was one of those weird theories some people had after seeing the first trailer a year ago. Why would a reincarnation have the same features he had in a previous life. The tattoo, the ashes on his skin, the scar on his right eye. He also has a scar on his stomach from what he did in the end of God Of War III. Plus why would a Norse dude have a power called Spartan Rage.

3 minutes ago, Parker said:

I've always enjoyed the God of War games but I've never liked Kratos as a protagonist, this trailer has done more to make him more realistic and likable than all the previous games combined and now I'm actually excited to play the game and learn more about Kratos' story, he actually has a chance to become an interesting character now. 

Parker

I know what you mean, I felt the same the first time I played the games. I didn't like Kratos at all at first too but after playing them all again in a short period of time at some point it clicked for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

That probably was one of those weird theories some people had after seeing the first trailer a year ago. Why would a reincarnation have the same features he had in a previous life. The tattoo, the ashes on his skin, the scar on his right eye. He also has a scar on his stomach from what he did in the end of God Of War III. Plus why would a Norse dude have a power called Spartan Rage.

You can also see the marks the chains have left on arms. See the first gameplay trailer.

1 hour ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

Nope, where did you read that? That information is non canon or at least not true. Can we get a source?  Fact is that after he commited suicide (GoW3) we can see his body near the cliffs. The body is gone after the credits. He either survived or some greater power ressurected him (like Gaia did in GoW2). This IS the same Kratos from the previous games. Thing is he chose to live away from ancient Greece and to start a new life. More will be explained on the upcoming game. You can call this game a soft reboot, it keeps the main character, but changes the settings.

Literally the first thing I wrote was "I might be wrong". Last time I even looked at this game was a year ago. Chances are it's bullshit, hence my opening line ;)

No matter what the story ends up being, I have to pretend that it is it's own game. When a game changes it's gameplay that much, I have to treat it like a new IP or I'm jus setting myself up to hate it.

8 hours ago, ab4h4r4k1 said:

A good trailer. And it finally answered some questions that I had:

- the story is on the realm of the Norse Gods;

- it seems Kratos has become a world legend and the Norse Gods sees him as a threat. That is why he is attacked;

- again, it looks like he will have the help from the enemies of the gods (as seen in the last scene)

But it left other questions:

1- Who is the boy's mother? If related to Norse mythology, could it be Brunhilde?

Yeah, but would you trust Jörmungandr?

5 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

No matter what the story ends up being, I have to pretend that it is it's own game. When a game changes it's gameplay that much, I have to treat it like a new IP or I'm jus setting myself up to hate it.

It is only natural for the gameplay to evolve, it happens in almost every francise. The lore is the same, and it may fuel another trilogy.

This game continues to look incredible. It's definitely one of my most anticipated games right now and I always look forward to seeing more at gaming events. I love all of the previous God of War games. It's different enough to where it looks fresh, but there's enough similarities to the older games where it doesn't look totally different. I like what I see.

On 6/13/2017 at 6:23 AM, TheGwynbleidd said:

The hype is real. Finally the francise is back after 5 years. I ll definitely preorder the Collector's edition.

It's gonna be a wild ride. Just the thought of bashing Odin has me excited. Loki will probably be an ally. 

On 6/13/2017 at 8:17 AM, TheGwynbleidd said:

If this goes well, and it will, I wonder if we'll see Kratos vs. Egyptian (or Japanese) gods 

But God of War and Spider-Man are my must-haves

Anyone else think Ragnarök was already started during the events of God OfWar III? If I'm not mistaken a part of Ragnarök is the occurrence of natural disasters like the world getting submerged by water (killing Poseidon) or eternal darkness (killing Helios) for example. Do any of you reading this with a little more knowledge of Norse mythology think this could be a valid theory?

On 13/6/2017 at 2:52 PM, TheGwynbleidd said:

You can also see the marks the chains have left on arms. See the first gameplay trailer.

You're right, how could I forget to mention the scars of his most prominent feature, lol.

21 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

Anyone else think Ragnarök was already started during the events of God OfWar III? If I'm not mistaken a part of Ragnarök is the occurrence of natural disasters like the world getting submerged by water (killing Poseidon) or eternal darkness (killing Helios) for example. Do any of you reading this with a little more knowledge of Norse mythology think this could be a valid theory?

Problem is that the trailers clearly show a regular world... So basically the idea now is that the gods from Greece are only responsible for their part of the world, I guess...

It's kind of weird that the game is somehow in between a sequel and a reboot, yet I don't think any of the inconsistencies will be really addressed.

2 hours ago, HellcoreFire said:

Not an expert on Norse Mythology (though I am in Greek Mythology), I think we may see Ragnarok occurring later on. It is hinted that this may be a new God of War Trilogy. It is said that in Ragnarok Thor and Jormungandr (The Wolrd Serpent) will fight and kill each other, as the serpent wants to poison the world. Kratos will prevent that, as he has a son that he cares about. So, he may end up killing the Norse Gods.

2 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I like the fact that Kratos' axe is returning to him like Thor's mjolnir.I hope we see a battle between them along the line 

7 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

So, he may end up killing the Norse Gods.

It's Kratos we're talking about here; I thought him eventually killing all Norse gods was a given.

Personally, I'm not really into that. I like Thor, and I love Loki (who is in modern media misused as being villanous, just like Hades), and many other Norse gods are really cool as well. Contrast the Greek gods, who were just being dicks for much of the time...