Core RPG Pokémon title in development for the Switch

Oobedoob S Benubi

So, many people not or only casually into Nintendo and/or Pokémon will say "sure, what's the big deal" but recent quotes from the developer had put some strong doubts out there that the Switch would ever get a "full" Pokémon title.

And suddenly, at the Nintendo E3, in between talk about Pokkén Tournament DX and the bombshell of Metroid Prime 4, they casually announce that development on a "core RPG Pokémon title" for the Switch has begun.

Personally, I'm glad to hear this (I do not have a 3DS any more), haven't played through a Pokémon game since Y.

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

At least you still have your 3DSXL, I traded mine for a Vita two years ago and this year I traded in my Vita and my Wii to pay for the Switch xD

I got it last year after Pokemon Go swept me up into the nostalgia sea and Sun/Moon came out, haven't played it since I bought my PS4 and god knows it'll start collecting dust once I get a Switch ?

1 minute ago, ahoyimzoe said:

I got it last year after Pokemon Go swept me up into the nostalgia sea and Sun/Moon came out, haven't played it since I bought my PS4 and god knows it'll start collecting dust once I get a Switch 1f62c.png

Yeah exactly what I realised. Didn't play it any more so I could do better with a Vita now that I was getting all those PS+ games for it. Then two ywars later, Ihad justabout stopped playing the Vita and realised that I'd never touch it again once I obtained a Switch. And well, the Wii hadn't been used since we had a new tv that could run Netflix on its own. :)

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah exactly what I realised. Didn't play it any more so I could do better with a Vita now that I was getting all those PS+ games for it. Then two ywars later, Ihad justabout stopped playing the Vita and realised that I'd never touch it again once I obtained a Switch. And well, the Wii hadn't been used since we had a new tv that could run Netflix on its own. :)

Omg I completely forgot about our Wii. It's in a drawer somewhere - may it rest. The one Christmas-gift-console my brother and I tired really quickly of, and for good reason!

1 minute ago, ahoyimzoe said:

Omg I completely forgot about our Wii. It's in a drawer somewhere - may it rest. The one Christmas-gift-console my brother and I tired really quickly of, and for good reason!

Well, seems to me that with the Wii and 3DSXL (and probably some games) you're probably over halfway to owning a Switch already! B)

Edited by BillyHorrible
B)

Well, seems to me that with the Wii and 3DSXL (and probably some games) you're probably over halfway to owning a Switch already!

I work for a tech retailer so I can get one at a great price so no need for trade in, however I need to dispose of that Wii somehow so might just chuck it up on Ebay or trade in for some game titles for my PS3. I still have a lot of love for my 3DSXL so definitely holding onto it for a wee while.

17 minutes ago, ahoyimzoe said:

I work for a tech retailer so I can get one at a great price so no need for trade in, however I need to dispose of that Wii somehow so might just chuck it up on Ebay or trade in for some game titles for my PS3. I still have a lot of love for my 3DSXL so definitely holding onto it for a wee while.

All I know is, the game store gave a much better trade in price for my Vita, and for my Wii plus games, than anyone online wanted to pay for it.

Yeah I also traded in some PS3/PS4 titles and I had some money left from my PSVR refund, but a lot was just the trade in of the Wii and Vita for me.

P.S. shall I just change the thread title to "Help ahoyimzoe get a Switch", then B)

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

All I know is, the game store gave a much better trade in price for my Vita, and for my Wii plus games, than anyone online wanted to pay for it.

Yeah I also traded in some PS3/PS4 titles and I had some money left from my PSVR refund, but a lot was just the trade in of the Wii and Vita for me.

P.S. shall I just change the thread title to "Help ahoyimzoe get a Switch", then B)

?

do-it.jpg

• Like 1

About damn time. Home consoles have been crying out for this. The Wii U would have sold bucketloads if they'd done it on that. I love my Wii U that I just bought and forget the lack of third-party support, it baffles me how little respect they had for their own console! They couldn't even get an original new Zelda title onto it until the Switch came out- but that game ALSO came out on the Switch and most people who were going to play it bought it with their Switches instead. I will buy a Switch to play it Day One if they do it right.

Edited by MeteorHawk

6 hours ago, MeteorHawk said:

About damn time. Home consoles have been crying out for this. The Wii U would have sold bucketloads if they'd done it on that. I love my Wii U that I just bought and forget the lack of third-party support, it baffles me how little respect they had for their own console! They couldn't even get an original new Zelda title onto it until the Switch came out- but that game ALSO came out on the Switch and most people who were going to play it bought it with their Switches instead. I will buy a Switch to play it Day One if they do it right.

I honestly think that the only reason a Pokémon game is coming to the Switch is because it's a handheld console disguised as a home console.

From the first game, Pokémon has partly been pushing you towards human interaction; now with the Switch there's finally a home console you can take along with you.

Yeah I'm one of the people who never bought a Wii U. There are a few titles I would like to play, just not enough and no must-haves.

On 6/14/2017 at 7:02 AM, BillyHorrible said:

I honestly think that the only reason a Pokémon game is coming to the Switch is because it's a handheld console disguised as a home console.

From the first game, Pokémon has partly been pushing you towards human interaction; now with the Switch there's finally a home console you can take along with you.

Yeah I'm one of the people who never bought a Wii U. There are a few titles I would like to play, just not enough and no must-haves.

I agree wholeheartedly, and for the first few generations it made a lot of sense for the games to be handheld exclusives. But the times are changing, how it's been tolerated as such for so long is beyond me. I love Pokemon but Sun & Moon were the first generation I refused to buy at release- they're doing nothing new or innovative with the series and it's gone stale. Does graduating to home consoles necessarily qualify as new and innovative? No but I believe it is what Pokemon fans want the most right now and it's certainly a good start.

What I disagree on is the "no must-haves" on the Wii U. Xenoblade Chronicles, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD remasters, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros for Wii U are must-haves, I've been neglecting my Sony machines I'm loving it so much! But the price is too steep as those are pretty much the only worthwhile games you can't get on other consoles, I was lucky and got mine at half-price!

Edited by MeteorHawk
  • Like 1

It was expected. 

I do wonder if they are going to go CLS/XD way as the above poster said because if they do, then HELL YEA, Colosseum and GoD are undoubtedly brilliant games, possibly even the best Pokemon ones.

For me, for sure, that is. Colosseum is my #1 Pokemon game even though GoD has Shadow Lugia, probably the best official 'fakemon'  =D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

It was expected. 

I do wonder if they are going to go CLS/XD way as the above poster said because if they do, then HELL YEA, Colosseum and GoD are undoubtedly brilliant games, possibly even the best Pokemon ones.

For me, for sure, that is. Colosseum is my #1 Pokemon game even though GoD has Shadow Lugia, probably the best official 'fakemon'  =D

Tell me about it!!! I love both of them to the core! I would another one like that on the switch! Honestly Pokemon GoD was the first time I saw Bonsly and was like "Wth is that little tree?" lol

On 6/13/2017 at 6:02 PM, BillyHorrible said:

At least you still have your 3DSXL, I traded mine for a Vita two years ago and this year I traded in my Vita and my Wii to pay for the Switch xD

Lmao I Have 2 pikachu 3DS'

The N3DS that came out in Feb

and a surprise from my boyfriend back in Dec. The 3DSXL

Plus I have my PSV lol I play anything xD

8 hours ago, syumisan said:

I can't wait!!!! I played Pokemon Coliseum and Pokemon xD Gale of Darkness and loved them both! Can't wait what this one will be about :)

7 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

It was expected. 

What, no love for Pokémon Snap?

... That's the only Pokémon game I played through more than once xD

On 13-6-2017 at 11:14 PM, BillyHorrible said:

haven't played through a Pokémon game since Y.

I was in a store two days ago when I noticed Pokémon Y was a 3DS game. Then this line is incorrect because I never finished the 3DS game I had (thought it was named differently). That means the last Pokémon game I've played through is Platinum.

8 hours ago, MeteorHawk said:

I agree wholeheartedly, and for the first few generations it made a lot of sense for the games to be handheld exclusives. But the times are changing, how it's been tolerated as such for so long is beyond me. I love Pokemon but Sun & Moon were the first generation I refused to buy at release- they're doing nothing new or innovative with the series and it's gone stale. Does graduating to home consoles necessarily qualify as new and innovative? No but I believe it is what Pokemon fans want the most right now and it's certainly a good start.

Èh, as said above I haven't played a Pokémon game through to the end in almost a decade, so playing one again is new enough for me. I mainly hope that the new Pokémon will look interesting because the Pokémon looks are often swing and a miss for me, with me not even liking any of the starter Pokémon a couple of times.

I do find it hypocritical of Nintendo that they're not making a new F-Zero with the public excuse that they don't know how to keep it new and interesting, while a lot of other stuff is the same thing yet again (not that I mind a bit of safe ground, but why F-Zero can't be a part of that I don't know). Well, at least they're now actually innovating on the Zelda and Mario fronts, and they have a first party developer that's basically making F-Zero without the brand name, guess that counts for something.

The Switch can be played on the television though so unless they're making their game handheld mode only (which, frankly, is not that unlikely to happen) then they really have to step it up a notch in terms of graphics.

8 hours ago, MeteorHawk said:

What I disagree on is the "no must-haves" on the Wii U. Xenoblade Chronicles, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD remasters, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros for Wii U are must-haves, I've been neglecting my Sony machines I'm loving it so much! But the price is too steep as those are pretty much the only worthwhile games you can't get on other consoles, I was lucky and got mine at half-price!

... Mèh.

Kart/Party/Smash are what I call the holy trinity of couch multiplayer and I will definitely buy them if they're on a console I own, but I won't buy the console specifically for those games. And Mario Kart 8 is available for the Switch now.

The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD remasters are exactly that, just HD remasters of games I have already played. Fun to have but not worthy to buy a console for in my eyes.

Xenoblade Chronicles, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3... Never played any of them. I've recently come to expect that I may like Xenoblade Chronicles even though I'm usually not into RPGs but I'm not really interested in the other two.

Super Mario 3D World: I expected I would not like that title but I got 3D Land for free as a download on my 3DS and now I expect I would actually enjoy it. Not worthy to by a console for though in my eyes.

Then here's the list of games I would very much like to play if I owned a Switch: its Smash and Party titles, Super Mario 3D World, the Zelda remasters (and Skyward Sword which I somehow never got around to playing), Nintendo Land, Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby And The Rainbow Paintbrush. Now that's not really a lot of games to buy a whole console for, and that's at the end of its lifespan already.

33 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

What, no love for Pokémon Snap?

... That's the only Pokémon game I played through more than once xD

LOOK I NEED POKEMON SNAP ON THE SWITCH NOW I NEEEEEEEEEEED IT OMG I NEEED IT. HELL EVEN A REMAKE SOMETHING, SEQUEL DON'T CARE <3

6 minutes ago, syumisan said:

LOOK I NEED POKEMON SNAP ON THE SWITCH NOW I NEEEEEEEEEEED IT OMG I NEEED IT. HELL EVEN A REMAKE SOMETHING, SEQUEL DON'T CARE <3

Well if they're going to do a classic Virtual Console, odds are good we're getting the old game as it's been on other VCs as well.

Well if they're going to do a classic Virtual Console, odds are good we're getting the old game as it's been on other VCs as well.

PLEASE I LOVED THAT GAME <3 Thanks for reminding me of it <3 Man you don't know :P.

Also a awesome Pokemon Stadium would be nice as well. I only played the first one. But just imagine that.

You know what you be AWESOME THOUGH? You walking with the Switch right, and you just so happen to walk in front of someone else playing a pokemon game; that initiate a battle like in the games? That would be so coooooolllll!!!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, syumisan said:

You know what you be AWESOME THOUGH? You walking with the Switch right, and you just so happen to walk in front of someone else playing a pokemon game; that initiate a battle like in the games? That would be so coooooolllll!!!!!!! 

... Just like you can already do with the Game Boy and DS handhelds, you mean? :)