Monster Hunter World

IBadDriverI

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to finally see Monster Hunter back on Playsation. The last Monster Hunter entry I played was Tri back on the Wii (and some of the remaster on Wii U, and some of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, but the 3DS controls were far too frustrating, so I sold off my copy pretty early), which I thoroughly enjoyed, though I remember I had to buy a classic/pro-controller just for that game, because the Wiimote controls were too awkward.

It'll be nice to have an entry in the series back on my favourite system, and along with my favourite controller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't want to keep spamming the thread, there's a lot of new vids on YT covering the Gamescom stuff which I'm sure most MH fans have already seen, but I like this vid, game is looking so good, I've got the hype:

Arekkz Gaming has a lot of good vids up already, covering the weapons and other stuff, including an interview.   A worry I had has been addressed too, the difficulty level of the game has been reduced for the presentations and hands-on experience, so far, which is good to know, and tentatively...dlc will be free, which is great as beside full expansions or cosmetic fluff, any other meaningful dlc would be hard to implement imo, or implement satisfactorily given the nature of the game.

I really hope they put a demo out for MH, I can't take the wait!   

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped playing Monster Hunter years ago because it was too damn hard and the first Monster Hunter game I got was Freedom for the PSP, that and I didn't have any friends who have the game. But now that they are releasing this for the PS4 and it will feature online co-op, I am itching to get back playing this series again, hopefully, I will get good at this game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 3:39 PM, B1rvine said:

Monster Hunter Tri for Wii was probably the first game in two decades I logged over 1000 hours. CANNOT wait for this!!!!!

Agreed it was a fun game, though I don't think I put 1000 hours in MHTri . I'm probably in the minority when I say this but I miss the Swim combat in Tri, couldn't really get back into the series with the WIiU and 3DS version.

Hoping to see a decent game with this.

• 3 months later...

Capcom revealed new details about the upcoming game Monster Hunter: World and has also released a new trailer featuring several new and returning Elder Dragons.

The two dragons that have been confirmed to be heading into the game is the steel dragon Kushala Daora and the flame king dragon Teostra. Along with these two beasts, the trailer also features the monster Dodogama which is a rock-eating wyvern that has a unique saliva that can make rocks become explosive.

Capcom has also confirmed the news that there are plans for post-launch support of Monster Hunter: World such as regular content updates and a major title update which will be free for all players. The major title update will be heading into the game sometime in Spring 2018 and will include the fan-favourite monster Deviljho.

Along with this news, Capcom has confirmed that the final beta planned for PlayStation 4 will go live in North America on 18th January and will run until 22nd January.

Source:https://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-24046-Monster-Hunter--World-Trailer-Introduces-Elder-Dragons.html

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, DennisWilles said:

Don't get too excited.. it's a disgrace as far as Monster Hunter games go. Dumbed down mechanics, "cinematic" attacks and the difficulty will obviously be downgraded too. It's a westernized casual game with a MH skin, not a Monster Hunter game. 

After 200 hrs. of MH3U on WiiU and some 20-ish hrs. on World, i couldn't agree more with you, Maho-tan.

Some of my negative points:

1. Fireflies showing you every single rock that you can harvest, cause you aren't smart enough (not you, generally speaking) to pick it own your own. Oh, they also shows you the big bad monster you need to hunt, so there's no need to actually explore the enviroment (the most basic thing in previous MH games) and you just need to run like an idiot straight to them.

2. Run and drink your potion at the same time, cause we don't wanna see you dying and drop our game due to the strict old fact of being still in order to drink it.

3. Not smart enough to drink your potion? Your pet has that covered! They gonna summon this green health bubble in order to instatly heal you every
time! Hardcore!

4. Mining axes? INFINITE NUMBER OF THOSE! Why spent... seconds of crafting a fucking Mega Pickage? Same as whetstones; "tune" your weapon everywhere, without worrying of running out of them.

5. Damage numbers in order to make you feel like you are damaging the monster. Now you're actually feeling it!

6. Resarching monsters shows weak points, breakable parts with knowing which weapon breaks said part... Really?

7. G Ranks? That was the rage in our previous MH games, but now we REALLY need them casuals, so we removed them!

8. Other crap that actually speed up the whole experience, like bounties (gain armor spheres with MINIMAL efford) and investigations (gain rare crafting materials from slaying monsters there than slaying the monsters outside of investigations). Like it or not, grinding was beloved by many MH games and now they wanna simpify that with these additions.

9. As for the technical part: Washed out colors (said that yesterday) and this unlocked framerate that was present in 3U (WiiU version always) is plain crap; the game in many cases can't even hold a solid 30fps (especially when the fireflies pop out) and it isn't the most visually stunning game on the console, especially when there's a freaking DooM to show how it's done right.

And all of these in my first 3 days on the game. For a major comeback on the home consoles after some time, these things are NOT justified, but I really wanna see how things will unfold from now on.

• Like 1

Can you team up with randoms in a que for four person groups, or do you need to know 4 slayers to game with.

On the Wii U it got boring fast, but god eater was a lot fun since you had A.I and it's more anime based characters

meanwhile I put over 400 hours into ESo, sidequest, craft, hunts and drops, pretty similar

Edited by Galactic Nordic Nuts

After playing hundreds of hours of 3 Ultimate on the Wii U, I really love this new title. (40 hours in)

I don't think it's "dumbed down" as some other posters want to tell you. There are simply a lot of quality of life upgrades because let's face it and be real here: a lot of stuff in the older MH games is obsolete and was simply unnecessary. The game is neither easier nor "casualized", it is simply more comfortable and eliminated some unnecessary pains that only cost time without providing any fun. Nobody really wants to micromanage whetstones or pickaxes. Games are about fun after all and MMO-like mechanics were basic gear breaks down or needs to be replaced all the time are often killing the fun. In fact, in MMOs, these things are there so that you lose time since you pay for your game time, but we don't want that stuff in our singleplayer games so thankfully they got rid of some of these unnecessary timesinks.

Also stuff like "showing everything you can harvest" is a logical consequence of the graphics update and not because the developers think people are dumb. It's game developing 101: the more realistic the graphics get, the more you have to point out interactables since they will be too easy to oversee otherwise. In older graphics engines, interactables often stuck out like a sore thumb, this is not the case with better graphics and that's why A LOT of games in the recent generations went with highlighting interactable stuff in their game worlds. 

Still, there is some stuff Japanese developers just don't seem to get right - especially the online parts. After the title screen, you can matchmake for a session, open a new session and search for sessions with specific filters or for sessions from people in your squad but why the bloody hell is there no SIMPLE "Search for friends sessions" button? Stuff like that always amazes me :D

Also, when you create a squad, you can only invite people that are in your session into your squad, instead of being able to invite friends from your friends list :D So instead of simply sending invites to them via the friendslist, they need to be invited to your session, load into your session and then they can be invited into your squad ... what a mess!

And the Japanese "angst" for spoilers is prevalent here as well: friends can only play story missions together, if the cutscene showing the new monster of the quest has been seen by everyone, including the host. What this means is that me and my friends we all start the quest individually at the same time, play until the sequence comes, then we quit the quest, regroup in the hub and then restart it together so that we can then play the quest together... madness!

At least they got drop in drop out MP with the SOS flare right - works like a charm and makes for quick and easy multiplayer fun!

In my opinion, this is an awesome game! Immersion is great, the world is nice, the monsters are big and beautiful, the framerate is stable (no Pro PS4 here so I cannot change video modes but still, I had no issues so far), the SOS flare system is awesome and while the story isn't really mindblowing, the video sequences and characters are sweet and charming. I'm highly motivated to play this and will probably pour some hundreds of hours into this :)

Not a fan of the crossover stuff though ... Horizon, Megaman, Street Fighter ... the Japanese like that stuff but I find it irritating.

11 hours ago, G3n3raL986 said:

3. Not smart enough to drink your potion? Your pet has that covered! They gonna summon this green health bubble in order to instatly heal you every
time! Hardcore!

If you don't like that, give your palico another gadget.

They are there to replace other players (which can also heal you for example with the healing mist from the Health Booster). You could simply play with 4 players all the time, then the palicos are gone and won't provide you with vitality wasps.

Edited by Sicho
typos
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sicho said:

Still, there is some stuff Japanese developers just don't seem to get right - especially the online parts. After the title screen, you can matchmake for a session, open a new session and search for sessions with specific filters or for sessions from people in your squad but why the bloody hell is there no SIMPLE "Search for friends sessions" button? Stuff like that always amazes me :D

Also, when you create a squad, you can only invite people that are in your session into your squad, instead of being able to invite friends from your friends list :D So instead of simply sending invites to them via the friendslist, they need to be invited to your session, load into your session and then they can be invited into your squad ... what a mess!

And the Japanese "angst" for spoilers is prevalent here as well: friends can only play story missions together, if the cutscene showing the new monster of the quest has been seen by everyone, including the host. What this means is that me and my friends we all start the quest individually at the same time, play until the sequence comes, then we quit the quest, regroup in the hub and then restart it together so that we can then play the quest together... madness!

At least they got drop in drop out MP with the SOS flare right - works like a charm and makes for quick and easy multiplayer fun!

In my opinion, this is an awesome game! Immersion is great, the world is nice, the monsters are big and beautiful, the framerate is stable (no Pro PS4 here so I cannot change video modes but still, I had no issues so far), the SOS flare system is awesome and while the story isn't really mindblowing, the video sequences and characters are sweet and charming. I'm highly motivated to play this and will probably pour some hundreds of hours into this :)

If you don't like that, give your palico another gadget.

They are there to replace other players (which can also heal you for example with the healing mist from the Health Booster). You could simply play with 4 players all the time, then the palicos are gone and won't provide you with vitality wasps.

I've only played about 5 hours, and I love the game. I completely agree with all your points, especially multiplayer. The only way you can find out your friends are playing is if you click under the game and join their session. It would've been simpler if they had it in-game, like you said. And if anyone has any doubt, the SOS flare works.

How does the squad system work? I haven't tried creating one - it seems convoluted.