Question: Hard to the Core Trophy (Beat the Game in under 1 Hour and with 0 Deaths)

zeit86geist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Two of my most hated types of Trophies, Speedrun and No Deaths and they are both together!!! I keep dying to those slug things so this is way too frustrating to do right now. Wish they could of given Six something like the boy had in the DLC to kill those slugs, I wonder who at Tarsier thought of having both at the same time, should of just stuck with Speedrun and made it a little longer like under 2 hours or something, but the not dying one, that's basically [ insert expletive here].

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I confirm last checkpoint quicksaves are ok, as long as you're quick enough to do it (before game noticed you're dead, when an enemi grabs you). But also having a backup save on USB stick can be useful.

This one was annoying to be honest, especially the first two stages.

Also, the ? pops when you climb the final stairs, within the overwhelming light.

• 1 month later...
On 2020-11-03 at 2:14 PM, alexandra-jane09 said:

Two of my most hated types of Trophies, Speedrun and No Deaths and they are both together!!! I keep dying to those slug things so this is way too frustrating to do right now. Wish they could of given Six something like the boy had in the DLC to kill those slugs, I wonder who at Tarsier thought of having both at the same time, should of just stuck with Speedrun and made it a little longer like under 2 hours or something, but the not dying one, that's basically [ insert expletive here].

You should try Max Payne 3.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Few questions:

1) Is it ok to back up my save anytime i see the ''eye'' icon on the lower right? It's the indication that the game is autosaving but i don't know if it puts you in earlier points when respawning.

2) Restarting checkpoint (before dying) adds to the total time?

3) Is it possible to see how much time i've played?

• Like 1

1) yes is better to back up in case of some mistake

2) i think yes but im not sure

3)no

Εμένα δεν με δυσκόλεψε καθόλου αυτό το τροφι,νομίζω 2 φορές έπρεπε να το παίξω αν θυμάμαι καλά γιατί πέθανα νωρίς ευτυχώς  αλλά στην δεύτερη τα κατάφερα στα 57 λεπτά,παρακολουθωντας βίντεο στο youtube θα σε βοηθήσει αρκετά μετά από κάθε σκηνη  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

well chapter 1 is done for me in a pretty decent time and with no deaths, have the save backed up to the cloud so I don't have to worry about it again :), loads of fails and errors to see what the quickest way possible is through each section, will continue with the rest of the game the same way to get this last trophy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I believe that restarting from checkpoints does NOT add to your total playtime since I restarted checkpoints too many times, and I still obtained the trophy.

This game is also prone to crashes. The game crashed at least four times during The Residence expansion, and once during the other two expansions. Further, it crashed once during my speedrun playthrough as soon as I was defeating that "final boss". These crashes happened on a standard PS4.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just curious for those who have done this trophy, are the beginnings of chapters the only viable place to back up your save files, or are there other checkpoints throughout the game you can use?

I only did 1 test on an auto save from lighting a candle above one of the chefs, but when I exited to menu and loaded back in I was surprised to find the game actually put me back several rooms/checkpoints to before loading up the meat grinder. So I’m hesitant to try this during a speed run as that wasted 5 minutes alone would be enough to nuke the run.

11 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Just curious for those who have done this trophy, are the beginnings of chapters the only viable place to back up your save files, or are there other checkpoints throughout the game you can use?

No.

There are numerous checkpoints throughout the game. You can even restart checkpoints -- I did it a few times.

Nonetheless, if you somehow die during game, you must not restart checkpoints. Your save will be tainted -- therefore, you must reload your backup save data.

11 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I only did 1 test on an auto save from lighting a candle above one of the chefs, but when I exited to menu and loaded back in I was surprised to find the game actually put me back several rooms/checkpoints to before loading up the meat grinder. So I’m hesitant to try this during a speed run as that wasted 5 minutes alone would be enough to nuke the run.

Skip all the candle-lighting thing. You have to keep moving. Checkpoints will be triggered even when you don't light candles.

Edited by zizimonster
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

No.

There are numerous checkpoints throughout the game. You can even restart checkpoints -- I did it a few times.

Nonetheless, if you somehow die during game, you must not restart checkpoints. Your save will be tainted -- therefore, you must reload your backup save data.

Skip all the candle-lighting thing. You have to keep moving. Checkpoints will be triggered even when you don't light candles.

So you are saying if you see the auto save icon when entering a room or new section mid way through a chapter, it’s safe to quit and upload to the cloud?

I was planning on backing up my save at the beginning of each chapter for the most part, but there are a few difficult sections where it’s very easy to die or get caught, and having a save closer to the start of those sections would be super convenient so I don’t have to keep repeating the entire chapter over and over.

I’m already done with the collectibles so I was not planning on lighting any candles or lanterns - unless someone could confirm the auto save generated by doing so is usable. Although I figured this is not the case based on my own test.

Thanks zizi

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

So you are saying if you see the auto save icon when entering a room or new section mid way through a chapter, it’s safe to quit and upload to the cloud?

Pretty much yes.

31 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I was planning on backing up my save at the beginning of each chapter for the most part, but there are a few difficult sections where it’s very easy to die or get caught, and having a save closer to the start of those sections would be super convenient so I don’t have to keep repeating the entire chapter over and over.

I didn't back up my save data at the beginning of each chapter -- I did it a few times during a chapter. I recommend you also do so.

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 2022-08-04 at 4:13 PM, zizimonster said:

Pretty much yes.

I didn't back up my save data at the beginning of each chapter -- I did it a few times during a chapter. I recommend you also do so.

Good luck!

Appreciate the advice Zizi. Thanks mate!

Edit: Got it! ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, alexandra-jane09 said:

Two of my most hated types of Trophies, Speedrun and No Deaths and they are both together!

I am kind of okay with either one of them but to have them together is indeed a piss-take. Especially that the speed run time is so tight, having us do it on a dark setting with clunky controls and terrible depth perception.  Then they had to make it permadeath as well? Like WTAF man!

8PSH.gif

This is how I imagined the Tarsier guys brainstorming for the trophies. Pitching in their ideas - add collectibles... make a few chapter and story related... then one of them suggests a speed run... the other wants to show off and up the ante with permadeath... then there is this asshat not wanting to be outshone:

'Guys... guys, why not combine both permadeath and speed run... and make it so that they finish it in 60 minutes including the unskippable cutscenes...' - Bastards!

On 2/23/2021 at 6:18 PM, PilloTheStar said:

If you thought limbo's "no point in dying" trophy was bad, you're in for a rude awakening.

Wow I actually skipped Limbo because of that notorious trophy. Maybe if I get this godforsaken Hard To The Core done, the No Point in Dying trophy should be slightly easier to get, right?

Edited by Eispan
 Consummatum est... XXIII.VIII.MMXXIII
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Eispan said:

I am kind of okay with either one of them but to have them together is indeed a pisstake. Especially that the speed run time is so tight, having us do it on a dark setting with clunky controls and terrible depth perception.  Then they had to make it permadeath? Like WTAF man!

8PSH.gif

This is how I imagined the Tarsier guys brainstorming for the trophies. Pitching in their ideas - collectibles... chapter and story related... one suggest a speed run... the other wants to show off and suggest permadeath... then there is this asshat not wanting to be outdone:

'Why not combine both permadeath and speed run... and make it so that they finish it in 60 minutes including the unskippable cutscenes...' - Bastards!

Wow I actually skipped Limbo because of that trophy but wanted to play it so bad. Maybe if I get this godforsaken Hard To The Core, the No Point of Dying trophy should be slightly better right?

Agree with all the above sentiment.

• Like 1