Platinum Race of Pride: The Sinful Race of Greed - July 2017 ~ July 2018

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

5 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

Good luck with FFXIV, it's quite the grind.

Meh, it'll be more of a long-term project and I'll try to focus on it when I get it off of PSN. I'll be starting in July when the plat race begins as I cant' start a 2x game in June. In the meantime, I've been busy with my other games, including the PS Plus freebies. ^_^

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Don't worry, Sword Art Online Re:Hollow Fragment has no subscription fee. It goes on sale on PSN quite a lot, so you can get the game for a few bucks.

I wasn't talking about Sword Art Online. I was talking about FFXIV. But I did find out the starter park was relatively cheap by game standards($30). I'm going to buy a renewal to PS+ so I can use the game since A Realm Reborn is always online and then buy the starter pack on July 3, when I get my Social Security Check.

Anyways, I have several games which are pretty rare and can give a lot of points:

• Dark Cloud 2 (3.99% - seriously, nobody plays this great game!)
  • Rogue Galaxy (5.45%)
  • Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below (11.66%)

And don't forget my 2x-point games, all which are relatively rare. However, I will look into Hollow Fragment for your sake. ?

34 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

I wasn't talking about Sword Art Online. I was talking about FFXIV. But I did find out the starter park was relatively cheap by game standards($30). I'm going to buy a renewal to PS+ so I can use the game since A Realm Reborn is always online and then buy the starter pack on July 3, when I get my Social Security Check.

Anyways, I have several games which are pretty rare and can give a lot of points:

• Rogue Galaxy (5.45%)

And don't forget my 2x-point games, all which are relatively rare. However, I will look into Hollow Fragment for your sake. ?

I don't think you need PS+ to play FF14.  

58 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

• Rogue Galaxy (5.45%)

And don't forget my 2x-point games, all which are relatively rare. However, I will look into Hollow Fragment for your sake. 1f604.png

What sort of points total are you expecting to lead you victory in this race? 

P.s. You'll be racking up some pretty rare plats it seems. You'll start making people jealous I guess. ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zajac9999 said:

What sort of points total are you expecting to lead you victory in this race?

I am keeping my expectations very low, as in rock bottom. I know that the other entrants are high-tier and more serious about trophy hunting than I am, although I have since purged myself of other MMOs to prep for FFXIV grinding, even though there were some sweet events going on. ;)

1 hour ago, zajac9999 said:

P.s. You'll be racking up some pretty rare plats it seems. You'll start making people jealous I guess. ;)

I know it's a bit arrogant to talk about your games' rarity and I never intended to upset anyone or make them envious, but I just want people to know that I won't be lacking when it comes to decently rare games. Even though my backlog dries up, I always have GameFly to rent stuff. We'll find out who's who in the coming twelve months. ^_^

2 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

I don't think you need PS+ to play FF14.  

Isn't FFXIV an MMO? I may not know the game, but I have played a couple of MMOs and know that you can't play one if you aren't online, and from my PSN experiences, it's impossible to do anything on PS4 online without PS+. Just saying. Of course, I'll get some research done before the race begins to see what exactly I need to play FF14 on PS4.

Actually found the FFXIV official site and they have a beginner's guide! :highfive: Thank Bahamut for that! Once I get the info down I'll know what I need to buy and then be ready for the race on July. (Not gonna buy the starter pack until my next check comes in next Monday because I know that I'll void the 2x value of the game if I start playing it before July 1. ;) )

6 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

Isn't FFXIV an MMO? I may not know the game, but I have played a couple of MMOs and know that you can't play one if you aren't online, and from my PSN experiences, it's impossible to do anything on PS4 online without PS+. Just saying. Of course, I'll get some research done before the race begins to see what exactly I need to play FF14 on PS4.

You don't need PS+ to play FFXIV online. Also, it's not ''impossible to do anything on PS4 online without PS+'' because some (multiplayer) games do not require PS+ to be played online (Blacklight: Retribution for example).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

I am keeping my expectations very low, as in rock bottom.

I meant how many points do you think the winner will need?? Lol. Good to see that you're feeling confident about your chances though ... You're the favourite according to the votes, you'd better not let everyone down! :shakefist: 

5 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

I know it's a bit arrogant to talk about your games' rarity and I never intended to upset anyone or make them envious, but I just want people to know that I won't be lacking when it comes to decently rare games. Even though my backlog dries up, I always have GameFly to rent stuff. 

Hey, as they say, if you've got it then flaunt it. ;)

7 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

We'll find out who's who in the coming twelve months. ^_^

According to the intro we already know who you are, you're the strange detective... I'm just wondering if you're gonna find victory on your search for rare plats. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You don't need PS+ to play FFXIV online. Also, it's not ''impossible to do anything on PS4 online without PS+'' because some (multiplayer) games do not require PS+ to be played online (Blacklight: Retribution for example).

Thanks for the heads-up. I am reading the beginner's guide now and you're right on that account, just need to install the game like any usual disc and make an account. All the online details are handled on Square-Enix's site. Also, I might consider just paying up the full $60 for the complete edition so I won't miss any benefits from the expansions and after I earn the plat, I can jump online since I've decided to foreswear all other MMOs from henceon. (And playing an MMO on PS4 will be a lot more efficient than the games I've played on PC which run into server issues. ^_^)

And thanks zajac9999 for the support. :)

Edited by MidnightCJ

12 hours ago, zajac9999 said:

Just don't let me down, 'support' can become disappointment very quickly... 

Don't worry, I have already started planning out what sort of race and starting class I will be playing on FFXIV and when to play the other games in the meantime. ;)

Just to let everyone know I am serious about platinuming A Realm Reborn...

[pic deleted]

I just created a Square-Enix account and am downloading the free trial for A Realm Reborn now. I have a few games I need to work on my Summer Backlog, but I will spend a couple of hours each day on the free trial until July 1st(which doesn't pop trophies or so I was told) which is when I'll purchase the digital copy of the FFXIV starter pack(which is $20 on PSN right now). Once I get the plat, I might get some money saved to upgrade to Heavensward and Stormblood, but those expansions aren't needed for the plat.

I do know that it will take a lot of my PS4 memory and also cost me a lot of time since certain things are on an allowance system so I need at least four months of subscription time to earn that specific trophy, but it won't be too bad. I'll just have to spend my money on game cards for the next year and it's not a binding contract. ;)

Edited by MidnightCJ
  • Like 1

On 27.6.2017 at 1:31 AM, MidnightCJ said:

Just to let everyone know I am serious about platinuming A Realm Reborn...

*snip*

I honestly don't think that it was a good idea to post some real data of yours. ;)

Edited by Crimson Idol
Removed the picture from the quote

1 minute ago, Crimson Idol said:

I honestly don't think that it was a good idea to post some real data of yours. ;)

I reposted with an altered pic without my e-mail after I realized that. I only showed my e-mail for a few seconds, and it's not like anyone could attack me with just my birthday. :(

4 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Oh good, I wasn't the only one to think that.  

@MidnightCJ  Seriously, from that image people now know your real name and date of birth.  Coupled with your location in your profile, it would be fairly easy for someone to find your address and telephone number online and harass you for real.  You should be more self-aware about your Internet (and real life) security.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

@MidnightCJ  Seriously, from that image people now know your real name and date of birth.  Coupled with your location in your profile, it would be fairly easy for someone to find your address and telephone number online and harass you for real.  You should be more self-aware about your Internet (and real life) security.

Thanks for elaborating why it's a bad idea to post more info than necessary. Totally forgot that he also lists his location in the profile.

@MidnightCJ Even if your name would be rather common (don't know if it is or not) but combined with your location and your date of birth it's possible to find out much more info and to harass you like Rach mentioned or do imitate you and do things like closing contracts or orders in your name.

• Like 1

Two more days of freedom before the race begins on Saturday! I'm busy prepping for the race:

• Going to buy the starter pack for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn on the PSN story
  • Got Persona 5 and Dragon Quest Heroes II on the ready
  • Have a lot of games on the ready - I am going to spend the mornings alternating those games and a few hours each evening on A Realm Reborn to earn trophies. I plan on paying for the sub in three-month blocs, starting with a two-month game card if the first month isn't for free. (If it is, ignore what I said. :P)

I do have some games I need to work on my Summer Backlog but I will schedule around the clock to ensure every game I plan on working on gets some respect. For the record, I do intend to platinum Arcana: The Dark Carnival from Artifex Mundi this week, but it probably won't be my first platinum unless I get bored with it during the couple of days I have it - I have $60 in cash and $20 in reserve but I am going to spend most of the cash on FFXIV. All of the platinums I will work on during July will take a lot of time, so the others will probably shoot out of the gate and drop me at last place for a couple of months. ;)

5 minutes ago, grimydawg said:

Good luck on Black Widow for folks doing GH.  It's not too bad, though.

I have my own personal daemon in the list, namely Persona 5's Ardent Listener. Having trouble getting Hardcore Risette Fan on P4G and not looking forward to having no choice but to force myself to get 250 navigation lines from Futaba as I was told it was harder to do. :(

10 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

I have my own personal daemon in the list, namely Persona 5's Ardent Listener. Having trouble getting Hardcore Risette Fan on P4G and not looking forward to having no choice but to force myself to get 250 navigation lines from Futaba as I was told it was harder to do. :(

As someone who did both trophies in P4G and P5, Futaba's trophy is a lot easier. You'll probably get it without even trying.