Farpoint Challenges

plpalo

I can see that very few people got the challenges trophies. I've been trying to do the first stage today but I find it barely possible to reach the one-medal threshold. In order to get the three medals you need scores at the level of Top10-20 of the leaderboards. It's very tough, bordering on unfair ;) I understand that some trophies are supposed to rely on skill and golden trophies shouldn't be awarded for completing chapters but this... this is insane. It's a completely new peripheral (both the VR itself and the aim controller) and people need a lot of time to know how to use them.

I've seen a few clips on YouTube showing how people do the huge scores and I tried recreating it but I just can't and it's not (only) because I suck ;) Even though I know where the enemies spawn (I've played the first stage probably 20 times already) the multiplier goes down way too fast and the game doesn't reward accuracy and speed enough. People seem to trick the game by shooting the green balls out of the sky to maintain the multiplier and/or allowing the 'armored' spider spawn little spiders to have weak enemies to kill. This partially seems like a design flaw in that if I clear an area quickly, the multiplier goes down back to 1 before I reach another wave of enemies.

It might sound like I'm whining but I'll let you give it a go and prove me that's the case :)

• Like 4

When I got this game I was assuming it would be a fun and fair platinum, I never imagined they could make challenges so difficult for a VR game. But after seeing the rarity of the trophies and how hard they seemingly are I might not even attempt the challenges. They take so long to complete too. I'll probably just finish the story up and not bother with those challenges unless if they lower the requirements.

1 minute ago, aZombieDictator said:

When I got this game I was assuming it would be a fun and fair platinum, I never imagined they could make challenges so difficult for a VR game. But after seeing the rarity of the trophies and how hard they seemingly are I might not even attempt the challenges. They take so long to complete too. I'll probably just finish the story up and not bother with those challenges unless if they lower the requirements.

Yeah, it's a shame. I messaged the devs on Twitter but they're in SF so probably still asleep or partying at E3 ;) There are a few minor changes they could introduce to make it better but to keep the leaderboards fair, they could simply reduce the medal point requirements.

On 6/15/2017 at 10:54 AM, plpalo said:

Yeah, it's a shame. I messaged the devs on Twitter but they're in SF so probably still asleep or partying at E3 ;) There are a few minor changes they could introduce to make it better but to keep the leaderboards fair, they could simply reduce the medal point requirements.

Yeah hopefully they do something. I probably won't play the challenges for a while.

I agree with everyone here. So insanely difficult! I will say that earning a 1 star mark is very difficult but doable. But 3 stars? Absolutely unachievable. At least not without wanting to destroy everything around you with rage. Like those times you're kicking ass and destroying everything only to be cheaply bombarded by drone rockets. Insta rage. The reason behind this? The developers simply wanted to make an unachievable platinum to pad their game out as it is the very first Aim controller shooter and we don't know when we will get something similar to this in the future. However, nearly all PSVR plats are very difficult. My first and only one so far is Mortal Blitz which I highly recommend. A lot like Farpoint, tons of trophies are skill and time based, BUT at least it is reasonable with you. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 2:47 AM, Chelsea_Gunners said:

It's not that hard just look at playthroughs of other players getting 3medals and you'll see how they do it.

Have you tried doing that?

It's like saying that speedrunning is easy. Just look at world record speedruns and you'll see how they do it ;)

I have looked up the first stage on YouTube and I see what the person is doing but it's very hard to replicate. Believe me, I tried for hours.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 2:04 AM, FEARTRAIN said:

I'm gonna chime in here and totally necro this thread, since there's not many threads relating to this fantastic shooter. I'm normally an active and humble lurker, unless i feel like something worth noting, hasn't been mentioned. It's incredibly difficult challenges and trophies like these that really in the end, make me love a game. Without challenge mode, i would of ended up shelfing the game and probably forgetting of it's existence a year later.  Instead, this incredibly satisfying arcademode really put it in my top 5 games for 2017. Which don't get me wrong, i am by no means an elitist or a pro. In fact shooters in general i suck at, my best maybe ranking at a B- grade. So i rode that same initial disappointment at my struggle to even obtain one medal...

However, inotice a lot of ppl talk about the first two stages mainly and never the dozen others down the same list. Which ironically, maybe even purposely, Arrival and Descent are among the hardest medals to obtain!! Ppl should know that Some of the later stages only require finishing it, to net in 3 medals lol. I know this cause my first time is a casual sunday stroll so to observe, ignoring multiplyer. 

People in general give up to quickly and are too soon to convince themselves they are incapable. It's a self defeating rationale. People credit natural talent too much and seem to forget that it's ritualistic practice and determination that will always win the end of the day. Talent really only is how quickly someone can pick up on a skill, and maybe influence the cap (Which that is flexible enough by someone dedicated enough).

I for one finally finished painstakingly obtaining the very last medal recently. It payed off. And in only half as much time as i thought. There's a moment in which it all sort of clicks, where you understand the flow of the game, where muscle memory takes pilot and you become in a way in tune with it. Its amazing times like these in which reminds me why i game in the 1st place. It's like i'm Neo at the end of 'The Matrix', struggle is what makes the reward worthwhile. You do well to remember that. Whew!

You must be talking about some of the dlc ones because just finishing the last 3 of the base game challenges barely gets you one medal and on flight the last one doesn't even net you a medal at all. Not saying these are impossible like others are saying but you need to do a hell of a lot more than just "finish" some of the later levels like you claim.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 2:31 AM, rolltideroll157 said:

You must be talking about some of the dlc ones because just finishing the last 3 of the base game challenges barely gets you one medal and on flight the last one doesn't even net you a medal at all. Not saying these are impossible like others are saying but you need to do a hell of a lot more than just "finish" some of the later levels like you claim.

Yeah the six co op stages after flight require you just to finish them in order to net 3 medals. But that said, it's still no easy feet since you'd be soloing a level balanced for two players in mind. It's freakin glorious and chaotic and no doubt will lead you to smash all those figures in the lobby area quite a few times. I know i did plenty lol! But Farpoint's polished gunplay always brought me back for more. 

If anyone's a glutton for punishment, feel free to contact me for tips as there are very few out there. (ones i found were either bad or outdated, kinda misleading IMO) 

Edited by DaivRules

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Know it is a deas thread, but just keep trying and you will get it eventually. It really is not that hard. I still got to go back to it to finnish the ranks of the guns.

if you are having a hard time, start with the dlc ones as they are way easier! 

use brute spawns and the spitters to your advantage to keep the multiplier up and it should not pose that much of a challenge. (You will probably still need a few tries on mostmof the maps though)

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Sucks man, I would have liked to play this game but I have neither the skill nor temperament for those ridiculous challenges. Had they lessened the requirements a little and not made them so extreme I wouldn't have a problem jumping in and taking a crack at them but judging by all I've read on this site and throughout the internet the challenges (in the base game) are just too damn strict with the necessary requirements needed. I get it, challenges are meant to be... well, challenging. But does it not seem like the developers took it a bit too far here?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 0:33 PM, MrTacoNinja said:

Sucks man, I would have liked to play this game but I have neither the skill nor temperament for those ridiculous challenges. Had they lessened the requirements a little and not made them so extreme I wouldn't have a problem jumping in and taking a crack at them but judging by all I've read on this site and throughout the internet the challenges (in the base game) are just too damn strict with the necessary requirements needed. I get it, challenges are meant to be... well, challenging. But does it not seem like the developers took it a bit too far here?

I think you should go for it. This game just requires you to perfect the challenges through trial and error. This isn't something you'll going to pick up quickly but it's definitely doable with time and effort. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PsychoReaper said:

I think you should go for it. This game just requires you to perfect the challenges through trial and error. This isn't something you'll going to pick up quickly but it's definitely doable with time and effort. 

With MY temper? Ha! Games like this will likely cause me to rage everything I own through a wall! ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JeManquedHygiene said:

Can you play every single challenge of this game in coop mode ? If so, would you say it makes them any easier/harder, and why ?

A friend of mine is interested but I'm really not sure I want to go through this, especially if some of the challenges are solo only.

You can only play the DLC challenges in co-op :) 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished up the 100% on my main account. There seems to be a debate as to the difficulty of this; some people are saying it's close to impossible and others quite straightforward. I would say that it definitely is not a cakewalk... very challenging, but through practice and dedication it's doable (I used a regular dualshock controller). I mean come on there's tens of thousands of scores on the leaderboard, and you usually have to be in the top few hundred to get the trophies... in no way is that a simple task. My loadouts for most levels in challenge mode were... 1st shotgun & 2nd plasma rifle (automatically reloads itself, another advantage). If you're struggling to get to grips with the long-range rifle, I would suggest trying these weapons instead. Most levels took me about 45 mins to get 3 medals, with the exception of Garrison and one of the DLC levels which took couple of hours. Another myth is that the DLC is tougher than the main game... not true in my experience. I had to just complete the DLC levels for the 3 medals. Whereas in the main game, it's more a case of perfecting each stage. Decent game all things considered, not a classic by any means but a must have for any VR owner.

Edited by whittle181
  • Like 2