Minimizing crashes

OK - so while the game runs a bit poorly, the main culprit in crashing the game is hitting R2. Changing between the various map displays crashes the game more often than anything else. Of course, it's incredibly convenient to bring up a large map at times, and incredibly convenient to dismiss it at others, but I would recommend grabbing some text maps (a la the Brady guide, a laptop, etc.).

When did you first experience the crashes? @TheFinalEmblem has warned me about crashes but I havent experienced any thus far and I change between maps constantly. I'm only at the part past that really hot desert where you have to keep your water level up but I havent had any crashes or any techincal issues so far in my playthrough dood

1 hour ago, Wdjat Prinny Doods said:

When did you first experience the crashes? @TheFinalEmblem has warned me about crashes but I havent experienced any thus far and I change between maps constantly. I'm only at the part past that really hot desert where you have to keep your water level up but I havent had any crashes or any techincal issues so far in my playthrough dood

It was around the Mosel Dunes for me. I too had no problems early on (well, I had one annoying crash on Vanguard III when I was grinding out a chain of 500). But once I got to the firewall, and now the maze of tribulations, I've seen it a lot (12 times - I keep count in each of my snarky reports to Sony), and every time, it was initiated by a map switch.

I just feel like the game decides it wants to screw up at random times. Granted, the whole map thing may have some merit, as it usually crashed when I had the big map up and was just running around, but the other times it crashed were in battle, screen transitioning, and also while standing perfectly still.

So, I actually spent a non-trivial amount of time testing this, and I ain't lyin' guys - the main culprit in triggering crashes is hitting R2. However, I found that none of the particular map screens seem to be worse than the others in triggering crashes when left alone, so if you just keep the big map on the screen, it seems just as good as not having any map on the screen.

R2 has nothing to do with the crashes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1CfLMrNGJE

As seen in my report from 2 days ago, I don't even have the map open and it still hung.

The maps are the main issues...everyone has problems on those same maps, some crash some don't. But when one does crash, others at gamefaqs also crash there.

It's never in a spot one hasn't already crashed at before.

• 2 months later...

So, I'm revisiting this to say that...I was exactly right. I have now tested, and managed to crash my game in EVERY SINGLE AREA of Star Ocean 3. Not every screen (yet, though I might even try this), but every area. And the culprit? The full screen map. 

I'm not saying that certain areas won't trigger crashes, but I am saying, without a doubt, that not using the full screen map or switching map sizes will certainly minimize crashes.

DON'T CHANGE MAPS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. The full screen one (or, more precisely, the switch to the full screen one) is the main culprit, though.

Edited by starcrunch061

• 2 months later...
Just now, DarkSoleride said:

I can't believe after all these years the devs did not fix this issue, i had this back on PS2 it would crash constantly before i even got to the second disc...

I remember some crashes on the PS2 (most notably, while I was chaining 500 battles), but I never remember map crashes in any areas.

But whatever - I'm essentially done with this (just need to cash in my 1000 bunny points - was waiting until I finished Star Ocean 4, but that game really sucks to plat, so I'll probably get the SO3 plat earlier for the 10 plats on Sony Rewards stuff).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I remember some crashes on the PS2 (most notably, while I was chaining 500 battles), but I never remember map crashes in any areas.

But whatever - I'm essentially done with this (just need to cash in my 1000 bunny points - was waiting until I finished Star Ocean 4, but that game really sucks to plat, so I'll probably get the SO3 plat earlier for the 10 plats on Sony Rewards stuff).

yeah man it was really frustrating i was holding off this PS2 to PS4 title because i was worried this was still a issue after all these years its a shame to realise this is still the case :(

• 4 years later...

Hey guys, so after all these years how are the crashes? Did the game get a new patch? I had to stop in the post dungeon because my game was crashing after almost every battle...I love this game the only reason I didn't plat this is because of how broken this port is, a real shame.

1 hour ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Hey guys, so after all these years how are the crashes? Did the game get a new patch? I had to stop in the post dungeon because my game was crashing after almost every battle...I love this game the only reason I didn't plat this is because of how broken this port is, a real shame.

This game only got 1 patch and that was way back in 2017, around the time this thread was created :(. The 1.01 patch claims to improve stability but going by the comments in this thread, it doesn't sound like it fixed much.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Profeelgood said:

I'm just starting this now too on ps5. Was wondering if you went ahead and played it. If so, have you experienced any crashes yet? 

If not, I'll save often, and let ya know. 

Alas, will not likely be able to start this one until December or next year January.

17 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Alas, will not likely be able to start this one until December or next year January.

Well, I'll let you and anyone else thats wondering know. 

I am playing on PS5. I'm about 7 hours in. At a very early dungeon (Kirlsa caves) and my game had crashed. 

It crashed while finishing a fight. I got the killing blow with a skill attack. And boom. "You want to submit an error report?" 

Sure I did, but from what it seems. It won't matter. 

So yeah. I'm gonna save at every save point I see anytime I pass it by. 

By the way, I don't know if we are still speculating why the game crashes. But if any information helps, I am also at 142 battles at this point. 

Edited by Profeelgood

So, I was about to save my game after I healed and set up for the next boss fight. Then I planned on updating how my game hasn't crashed since the initial one 7 hours in. 

I'm not kidding you, as I selected the tactics option in the menu, my game crashed. I was on the save point. But haven't saved yet....

I'm now 43 hours in. Second crash on ps5. 

Fortunately, I only lost 10 minutes of game time since I save any chance I get. 

Unfortunatly, I lost a 300% xp bonus on a boss that boosted my levels by 3 for each character. 

Still no issues opening up the map. So I dunno what the issue is. Just save any God damn chance you get. Save before you heal and switch stuff around and then save again. 

• 1 month later...

I went back at the game after a while, to start my Universe playthrough, and I've experienced my first crash in 150 or so hours, including the bunny race trophy. I was on my way to Duggus forest and the game crashed while filling the map on Sanmite Steppe at last.