Trophy hunting query: A single game multiple times

Pardon me if this has been discussed previously (which I'm convinced it must have), but as an aspiring trophy hunter, I'm curious how one profile (not naming names) could play Final Fantasy XV five times, and thus collect five complete sets of trophies, including five platinums.

Through some internet reading, I've learned about having multiple accounts, like one US, one EU, etc., but five?  Is that a thing?  (I should add the completion time of each game was almost identical, as though played simultaneously.)

Edited by IntroPhenom
  • Like 1

The same game may have a separate trophy list for each region. For instance, check Demon Souls, this game has 3 trophy lists (EU, NA, AS). To do this you must either own a physical copy of the game from another region or have multiple PSN accounts to buy the game from different stores.

A trophy list can either be stacked if it has a different list based on region or based on platform. You can either import the games retail, or buy them with an alternate account from that region. Since vita can only have one account, you cannot play digital titles from other regions on it.

Different regions (the asian regions can get mixed up from time to time, so it's always best to do research on it first):

• EU
  • US
  • JP (Japanese)
  • HK (Hong Kong or Asian release)
  • KR (Korean)

Different platforms:

• PS4
  • PSVita
  • PS3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

It's a thing. Some games have even more lists when you take into account platform as well. Space Hulk has 8 lists. I'm sure there are games with more

That's very interesting.  Thanks for the clarity!

6 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

A trophy list can either be stacked if it has a different list based on region or based on platform. You can either import the games retail, or buy them with an alternate account from that region. Since vita can only have one account, you cannot play digital titles from other regions on it.

Different regions (the asian regions can get mixed up from time to time, so it's always best to do research on it first):

• EU
  • US
  • JP (Japanese)
  • HK (Hong Kong or Asian release)
  • KR (Korean)

Different platforms:

• PS4
  • PSVita
  • PS3

Such effort on the part of these hunters.  I'll have to accept remaining in the meager realms of the ranks.  Not enough time in the day to dedicate to video games.

11 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

The same game may have a separate trophy list for each region. For instance, check Demon Souls, this game has 3 trophy lists (EU, NA, AS). To do this you must either own a physical copy of the game from another region or have multiple PSN accounts to buy the game from different stores.

A lot to this world of trophy hunting.

• Like 1

i would love to play through kingdoms of amalur a second time to get the second trophy list because i really liked that game, but sadly it's japanese and there's no way to change the language :( so yeah, always be wary with purchasing games from other regions if you can't change the language

demon's souls can all be changed to english if i recall correctly

17 minutes ago, Bubblyfishes said:

i would love to play through kingdoms of amalur a second time to get the second trophy list because i really liked that game, but sadly it's japanese and there's no way to change the language :( so yeah, always be wary with purchasing games from other regions if you can't change the language

Ah, see that's something I hadn't considered: changing the language in-game.  Familiarity with a game after one or more playthroughs was how I thought some of these hunters were managing games from varying regions.

Bummer about Amalur.  Can't ever expect it to get a re-release, given its surrounding circumstances I suppose. :( 

9 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

Ah, see that's something I hadn't considered: changing the language in-game.  Familiarity with a game after one or more playthroughs was how I thought some of these hunters were managing games from varying regions.

Bummer about Amalur.  Can't ever expect it to get a re-release, given its surrounding circumstances I suppose. :( 

i suppose some people can breeze through them after a while on the default language, but i'd say that's reserved for the most hardcore of players. it's not just finishing a game, it's getting all the trophies, too. at least i couldn't :P

and yeah, you're right there. i'd love a sequel more than anything, or even an HD remake, but alas... truly one of the most underrated RPG games out there. i'd love to return to that world

• Like 1

When I first actively started to use the sight i looked at the leader board and at some of the people at the top. noticed the multiple game in different regions. I just want to know what these people do for a living. As you said, I have no time in my life for something like that. Now I do have some Duplicates, but that is PS3 to PS4 re release. not multiple different regions of the game. With so many games out and a backlog of things, I just do not see enough time when I also have to work a full time job and sometimes go out to socialize. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FLCLcrim2 said:

When I first actively started to use the sight i looked at the leader board and at some of the people at the top. noticed the multiple game in different regions. I just want to know what these people do for a living. As you said, I have no time in my life for something like that. Now I do have some Duplicates, but that is PS3 to PS4 re release. not multiple different regions of the game. With so many games out and a backlog of things, I just do not see enough time when I also have to work a full time job and sometimes go out to socialize. 

Exactly.  Perhaps they don't sleep much?  Perhaps they're practicing agoraphobics and nourish themselves with only delivered pizza?  Perhaps they've perfected time travel?  Not sure, but I'm lucky to find one or two hours a day to play.  Sometimes I justify buying new games by telling myself, 'Well, when retirement comes, you'll be well stocked to hunker down for several hundred hours at a time.'

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, FLCLcrim2 said:

What's the different between a regional stack and a platform stack other than the time it takes for the imported game to arrive after you've purchased it?

1 hour ago, Bubblyfishes said:

The Japanese version of Kingdoms of Amalur is actually available entirely in English. DLC is included on the disk so you don't need to worry about that, either.

• Like 1

Just now, Shadiochao said:

The Japanese version of Kingdoms of Amalur is actually available entirely in English. DLC is included on the disk so you don't need to worry about that, either.

are you 100% sure? it's just that i asked this question on gamefaqs a while ago and they all said it wasn't.. if it is, then i'll definitely have to look into it. thanks!

3 minutes ago, Bubblyfishes said:

are you 100% sure? it's just that i asked this question on gamefaqs a while ago and they all said it wasn't.. if it is, then i'll definitely have to look into it. thanks!

Yeah, I was planning on buying it at one point but I couldn't find it cheap anywhere. This guy here confirms it https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/274293-language-japanese-version.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

What's the different between a regional stack and a platform stack other than the time it takes for the imported game to arrive after you've purchased it?

I think the main difference is the commitment level regional would seem to involve. My stacks from platform are not something I do back to back. It could be years apart. A Revisit to an older game i loved on a new system. Verse a straight grind of the game in multiple regions/platforms. Which is what i typically see. With my backlog of games, and new ones always coming out I could not see myself having the time or will to do such a grind. It is impressive, but more so on the level I want to know how someone manages that. I again, have no time for something that serious. Assuming they are not auto popping the trophies. 

1 hour ago, IntroPhenom said:

Exactly.  Perhaps they don't sleep much?  Perhaps they're practicing agoraphobics and nourish themselves with only delivered pizza?  Perhaps they've perfected time travel?  Not sure, but I'm lucky to find one or two hours a day to play.  Sometimes I justify buying new games by telling myself, 'Well, when retirement comes, you'll be well stocked to hunker down for several hundred hours at a time.'

I am right there with you on this, Found myself buying a number of games on the E3 sale I know i will not get to any time soon. Also looked back at my PS3 library and thought, damn I need to revisit some of these to finish them off. I could not imagine having the time it would take to play a single game in 4 or 5 regions, back to back like that. I am lucky if i can finish one game before a new one is out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FLCLcrim2 said:

Lots of trophy hunters live off disability checks and don't work.  I wouldn't get jealous of their plats, it just means they have more time than the average person working full time.  I read an article on some of the top trophy hunters and most were unemployed, or had some sort of disability.  That's not meant to be derogatory, it's just stating the facts. 

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 5:49 PM, DARKB1KE said:

Lots of trophy hunters live off disability checks and don't work.  I wouldn't get jealous of their plats, it just means they have more time than the average person working full time.  I read an article on some of the top trophy hunters and most were unemployed, or had some sort of disability.  That's not meant to be derogatory, it's just stating the facts. 

Jealousy isn't what I experience, more of a general curiosity of how others' play.  I well know my trophy/plat list will expand, but will do so methodically and gradually.

Depends on a lot of factors. I have a busy job and life, but still find the time to get gaming in. I tend to choose shorter games - while I do have a few 50+ hour games, that is not the norm. I prefer a variety of games and to be honest, many of the new AAA titles with hours of MP or multiple replays, I just avoid. There are so many games out there, it is quite possible to focus on 10-20 hour games and gain levels more quickly.

For me, there are very few games that after about the 20 hour mark still feel fresh and interesting.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:40 PM, Bubblyfishes said:

Not the menus, but it's recorded in English, so it's not so bad.

On 6/16/2017 at 4:49 PM, DARKB1KE said:

Do you have a link to that article? I'd like to see it myself. While I don't doubt it out of hand, I have known a good many trophy hunters well above me, who are living productive, successful lives. For example, Cauchy-Schwarz, who prior to his semi-retirement was a top 25 trophy hunter, is also a successful professor of mathematics (I know - with a name like Cauchy-Schwarz, who would have guessed?). xD

• 3 weeks later...

I don't do multiple versions of the game because I'd rather have a diverse trophy/platinum list rather than say 7 sound shapes platinums, 4 walking dead platinums etc.

I'm not bashing, fair play to anyone who is willing to do the game again and again and again... 

I played MGS4 8 times to get the platinum, after my 4th playthrough I was like... why did I do this to myself? xD 

On 16.6.2017 at 9:41 PM, Shadiochao said:

Yeah, I was planning on buying it at one point but I couldn't find it cheap anywhere. This guy here confirms it https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/274293-language-japanese-version.html

On 16.6.2017 at 9:44 PM, Bubblyfishes said:

great, thank you!! hopefully they sell it around here

I just recently started the JP stack of Kingdoms of Amalur for the same reason (loved that game!) and it's indeed completely in english! So go for it! :)

About the price and availability: I got it pre-owned from solarisjapan.com, they're relatively cheap and usually deliver in just over a week to germany. They even have another pre-owned copy in stock for only 21€ plus shipping as I'm writing this: https://solarisjapan.com/products/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning