Ni No Kuni 2 will have multiplayer

Lol, they didn't 'take out familiars' - its a new game. It doesn't have to be exactly like the first one - infact, it shouldn't be.

when the sequel comes out, no one is going to come by your house and confiscate the original game - if you want to play an identical game just replay that one. 

This is the problem with gamer expectations.

"I want new games that are different, while being exactly the same!"

"I want brand new challenges that I already know how to complete!"

"hey! This game is too similar to the first one!"

"hey! This game is too different from the first one!"

why not just wait to see how a game is before whinging about it?

• Like 3

More interested in this game than before. I'd rather play with my friends than have some familiars. 

Online trophies don't bother me in this type of setting. People are acting like it's get 500 ranked wins in multiplayer without getting damaged levels of bad.

Outside of the possibility of mp trophies, how can multiplayer possibly hurt the game?

Just remember, FF6 had multiplayer and that's widely considered one of the all time greatest. I would love to know how multiplayer hurt it lol. Hell, some of my favorite gaming hours were ff6 multiplayer.

Edited by KingGuy420

Really interested to see what they do with the multiplayer.  I'm thinking something similar to World of Final Fantasy, maybe have some coliseum battles against friends.  Or maybe there will be missions you can play co-op with friends. It's got me intrigued.

I enjoyed the first game and the fact this one has multiplayer trophies doesn't put me off playing it at all.  It's kind of sad that there are people who will skip over the game just because it has multiplayer (especially at this stage without even knowing what the MP will entail) :facepalm:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Lol, they didn't 'take out familiars' - its a new game. It doesn't have to be exactly like the first one - infact, it shouldn't be.

when the sequel comes out, no one is going to come by your house and confiscate the original game - if you want to play an identical game just replay that one. 

dear lord thank you lol. i was about to say the same. they haven't even seen anything yet and are already jumping to conclusions. as long as it's not some kind of team deathmatch kind of crap and fits in with what the game is trying to present you, then it should be fine. and if you don't like it, don't play it

god forbid a developer tries to extend the length of their game lol

• Like 1

This makes me very sceptical. Online multiplayer has no business in a JRPG like this. I'd rather there was no multiplayer at all, but at the very least I hope it's minimal and non-intrusive. If this ended up being fully-fledged co-op, or something similar to that, my interest in the game will have dropped significantly. That would be a shame.

4 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Outside of the possibility of mp trophies, how can multiplayer possibly hurt the game?

Just remember, FF6 had multiplayer and that widely considered one of the all time greatest. I would love to know how multiplayer hurt it lol.

Are you serious? Of course the addition of multiplayer can hurt a game. It takes money/development time away from the singleplayer experience and the game will have to be designed around co-op which often means playing solo will give you a lesser experience. There may be compromises to the story to take into account a second player as well. I would much rather they focus on making the best singleplayer experience they possibly can without having to worry about multiplayer. Not every game needs it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Misunderstood, so changed my top post. Still, my point remains...why?

2 minutes ago, Torracat83 said:

Misunderstood, so changed my top post. Still, my point remains...why?

why not? we literally know almost nothing yet, aside from "you will be able to play with your friends". if anything, this encourages the idea of a possible co-op mode which is a great feature for turn based games. i really don't see what "point" you're trying to make. as more info comes out, we'll be able to judge it better but for now, give them the benefit of the doubt. this is an acclaimed studio, making a follow-up to an equally acclaimed game, and i'm sure they know what they're doing

18 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

This makes me very sceptical. Online multiplayer has no business in a JRPG like this. I'd rather there was no multiplayer at all, but at the very least I hope it's minimal and non-intrusive. If this ended up being fully-fledged co-op, or something similar to that, my interest in the game will have dropped significantly. That would be a shame.

Are you serious? Of course the addition of multiplayer can hurt a game. It takes money/development time away from the singleplayer experience and the game will have to be designed around co-op which often means playing solo will give you a lesser experience. There may be compromises to the story to take into account a second player as well. I would much rather they focus on making the best singleplayer experience they possibly can without having to worry about multiplayer. Not every game needs it.

Lol just for future reference, Ni No Kuni 1 technically had co op. Just your partners were controlled by AI's instead if humans. A co op partner could have literally dropped into one of those slots at anytime with a tiny bit of netcode or split screen support, the characters were already fully playable. What makes you think it's going to take some big overhaul that siphons manpower to accomplish that?

And many RPG's have had co op. Damn near every Tales game in the last 10 years have done it. What makes you think it's going to ignore the established model of co op jrpg's to start rewriting story to accommodate it? None of them do that... Why would anybody jump to that assumption? Lol.

Edited by KingGuy420

3 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Lol just for future reference, Ni No Kuni 1 technically had co op. Just your partners were controlled by AI's instead if humans.

Yeah, that's not co-op... :P Going by that logic, any game where the AI controls anything is multiplayer. That makes no sense.

6 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

A co op partner could have literally dropped into one of those slots at anytime with a tiny bit of netcode or split screen support, the characters were already fully playable. What makes you think it's going to take some big overhaul that siphons manpower to accomplish that?

I love how you assume that adding co-op is like flicking a switch or something. No, that stuff has to be tested and it takes time to implement. Local multiplayer is one thing, but adding online co-op is in a whole different league.

10 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

And many RPG's have had co op. Damn near every Tales game in the last 10 years have done it. What makes you think it's going to ignore the established model of co op jrpg's to start rewriting story to accommodate it? None of them do that... Why would anybody jump to that assumption? Lol.

The Tales games have local co-op, and even then, it's just for the battles, so of course the story wouldn't need to change the story for that. If a game has online co-op, believe it or not, but the second player isn't going to be happy if they can't do anything most of the time, meaning that second player will need to play a significant role to keep them engaged. So yes, the story would need to accommodate that.

3 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Secret of Mana had coop. That was really fun playing with my friend back in the day, he on the boy and I playing the sprite.

Great example. I'm going to be uncharacteristically optimistic and hope that this game will be something similar.

EDIT: Just realized the article specifies ONLINE multiplayer, but still I think it could be cool if done right.

Edited by RNumbers

I love multiplayer and single player games, I just hope I don't get disconnected every five seconds due to bad servers and what not (Looking at you For Honor before Patch)

I say we stop judging the game and wait till its released, yes, I know its a very hard thing to do but it must be done.

That's probably why I am pleasantly surprised by new games, I expect nothing and look at nothing, and I then proceed to buy the game, that way I am the only one who can judge it with my own interpretation as I look forward to what the future of gaming has to offer, and try not to stay in my bubble of "This game should not have X, because back in my day it didn't have X"

Very progressive thinking don't ya know.

EDIT: And I highly doubt that "Story" would get affected by multiplayer, it really never has any effect as far as I've seen, unless you let multiplayer effect your "Story" 

I don't see how having a second random protagonist can effect your story, he's ignored for the story and only there for the combat so does it matter? Unless you let him effect your story.

Edited by Radical-Cool-Boy

Sh!t, I hope this becomes like Pokémon and you can battle and trade familiars with friends or at least, co-op in story mode with a friend. How awesome would that be!?!

I can't imagine this would feel like tacked on B.S. like other MPs. I am looking forward to the addition!

It's far too early to be worried about multiplayer that has been described by the vague phrasing of  "You will be able to play online with your friends in various capacities."

That could mean anything. It could mean a bunch of mini games, it could be a pokemon battle mode, it could mean raid bosses, it could be some co-op level, ect..

Plenty of Jrpg over the years have had multiplayer stuff in them, so saying stuff like "On no the game is ruined" or the like is silly at this point.

Wait a few months for the multiplayer reveal then start worrying/complaining about it.

Edited by soultaker655

I mean, if it's P2P team based MP, like having a friend randomly drop in to help you with a boss, that's not a bad deal right? No need to worry about servers being closed since P2P.

I'd rather if they don't go crazy on MP trophies though. Looking at you, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'll 'whing' about it all I want, thank you!  ;P  

But seriously, I think the expectations you mention sometimes stem from one's strong feelings for a game.  I was disappointed when DA:I choose your first couple of spells for you, as DA II did; I wanted to choose my own, as in DA:O.  In all fairness, though, you should be able to expect a sequel to have some similarities to its predecessor, but expecting it to be a duplicate is setting yourself up for disappointment.

1 hour ago, Bubblyfishes said:

why not? we literally know almost nothing yet, aside from "you will be able to play with your friends". if anything, this encourages the idea of a possible co-op mode which is a great feature for turn based games. i really don't see what "point" you're trying to make. as more info comes out, we'll be able to judge it better but for now, give them the benefit of the doubt. this is an acclaimed studio, making a follow-up to an equally acclaimed game, and i'm sure they know what they're doing

Right, and from what little I've heard, the tone of the game is 'darker', which may very well mean more difficult, hence the addition of multi-player.  All speculation at this point, of course.

58 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Sh!t, I hope this becomes like Pokémon and you can battle and trade familiars with friends or at least, co-op in story mode with a friend. How awesome would that be!?!

I can't imagine this would feel like tacked on B.S. like other MPs. I am looking forward to the addition!

I don't think there are familiars in the second one. I'm pretty negative towards MP, but I'll bite my tongue and wait for more gameplay videos.

Edited by Edunstar84