Trophy thoughts?

OJ9999vr

By looking at just the golden trophies, it seems like you have to be one of the top chess players in the world just to earn the platinum.

Winning a 32 player tournament is though enough itself, but beat the computer on grandmaster difficulty, that's close to impossible. Not to mention it's 100% AI, so it's impossible to learn the patterns, because they change everytime.

My thoughts:

giphy.gif

Edited by OJ9999vr

16 minutes ago, OJ9999vr said:

By looking at just the golden trophies, it seems like you have to be one of the top chess players in the world just to earn the platinum.

Winning a 32 player tournament is though enough itself, but beat the computer on grandmaster difficulty, that's close to impossible. Not to mention it's 100% AI, so it's impossible to learn the patterns, because they change everytime.

My thoughts:

giphy.gif

If you want to beat the computer on grandmaster fairly, then yeah I'd say that's close to impossible. If you want to cheat, there are online chess calculators you could use to calculate the best possible move for you. I don't actually own the game so I'm not sure if the game gives you like a time limit to do a move or if you can pause it/take your time, but if it gives you time, that would be your best bet if you are looking to earn the trophy. 

Edited by MnVikingsFan34

I think that a guy who is good in chess and/or compete irl is capable enough to plat this game . Like you said if you can learn the patterns that grand master difficulty like to do then it will be doable after atleast a few tries. The AI probably will do certain things over other things. Didn't read it correctly, so the AI is pretty advanced ay. online chess calculators are the way to go.

Same thing goes for the 32 tournament mode, meaning you need to win 5 in a row. When there is a rotten apple in the game who is just competing on the highest level though. It will become very hard. However the trophy isn't stating that it needs to be online or if offline is also possible and on which difficulty the bots may be on then.

Anyway while I do think the game wouldn't be as hard as super meat boy, I do think it could possibly be hard if the 32 tournament mode is online only.

Edited by Bumperklever

17 minutes ago, Yuichiro-Akuhei said:

that topic tittle, Your compare apples with pears... tbh 

I know it's a weird comparison, i just thought of how many would actually achieve the platinum.

15 minutes ago, MnVikingsFan34 said:

If you want to beat the computer on grandmaster fairly, then yeah I'd say that's close to impossible. If you want to cheat, there are online chess calculators you could use to calculate the best possible move for you. I don't actually own the game so I'm not sure if the game gives you like a time limit to do a move or if you can pause it/take your time, but if it gives you time, that would be your best bet if you are looking to earn the trophy. 

7 minutes ago, Bumperklever said:

I think that a guy who is good in chess and/or compete irl is capable enough to plat this game . Like you said if you can learn the patterns that grand master difficulty like to do then it will be doable after atleast a few tries. The AI probably will do certain things over other things. Didn't read it correctly, so the AI is pretty advanced ay. online chess calculators are the way to go.

Same thing goes for the 32 tournament mode, meaning you need to win 5 in a row. When there is a rotten apple in the game who is just competing on the highest level though. It will become very hard. However the trophy isn't stating that it needs to be online or if offline is also possible and on which difficulty the bots may be on then.

Anyway while I do think the game wouldn't be as hard as super meat boy, I do think it could possibly be hard if the 32 tournament mode is online only.

Didn't know about chess calculators, changing the title.

3 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Comparing Super Meat Boy to Chess is like comparing Songs Of Praise to Futurama...

At the time i wrote it i thought of the possible platinum achievers, but after reading a few comments i realized my mistake :facepalm:

Beating the computer on GM difficulty should be very easy with a chess engine, such as Stockfish which is free. Might be harder to win online tournaments if everybody is cheating. The trophies don't seem to say anything about time controls, so I'm assuming any time control is OK. A lot of the trophies are for just doing normal chess moves that come with time, such as capturing en passant, forking king and queen with the knight, etc. Of course it's a huge benefit if you know and enjoy some chess if you want to go for this plat, but as a hobby level chess player myself I'd give this trophy list a 2/10 for difficulty, although it will probably be a bit time consuming. The only showstopper I see is the online tournament trophies, if everybody online cheats with an engine as you'd have to expect.

If the devs mean "business" with this as a viable online chess community for PSN, they'd have to implement anti-cheater routines in order to ban people who are consistently cheating. You'd have to cheat for the GM trophy though, unless you happen to be one of the top chess players in the world ...

Edited by scary_atheist

Seems like a decent challenge. You can just use a chess engine for most of the trophies. 

For the gold trophies, are you sure that they're all online related? Is it possible to win a tournament with 32 AI players? I know it's probably online only but some games usually have a single player tournament mode where the trophies are possible on that.

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Seems like a decent challenge. You can just use a chess engine for most of the trophies. 

For the gold trophies, are you sure that they're all online related? Is it possible to win a tournament with 32 AI players? I know it's probably online only but some games usually have a single player tournament mode where the trophies are possible on that.

I'm not sure anymore. I thought "player" automatically made it online, same with the ELO rating (whatever it stands for).

On 19.6.2017 at 2:43 AM, Smithy said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see, I can't find much information about the game besides the advertising points that are on the steam page and the developers own site.

There is a trophy for beating the AI at 2500+ or Grandmaster rating level, as well as a tutorial system, so obviously playing vs. AI is possible.

If the rest is online only then you'd have to expect all the cheating and generally crappy behaviour that plagues all online chess, making this plat harder and a lot more frustrating even if you enjoy playing chess. The only solution to beat a cheater is to cheat harder. Essentially by running a better engine or a more power computer running it. I'm assuming the move-specific trophies can be earned vs. AI, otherwise a few of those will be really hard to get online as well like the checkmate with two bishops trophy. I've played thousands of online chess games and maybe had that happen once or twice. Usually people either resign, run down the clock or disconnect / leave the game when they realize they're losing, so you rarely get the opportunity to play to checkmate.

I'm really tempted by this game since I enjoy chess, but I think I'll wait until I can get more information and to see how the online develops. Not sure there's much of a community for online chess on PSN, and unless they implement crossplay with PC on their end it'll probably be deserted once the trophy hunter horde has left - and all of them will be cheating.

Looking at the trophies, and in turn, on the gamepage itself, seems like there is an offline option to play against the AI of course, but not sure about the whole tournament ordeal.  The game does seem interesting to me as is, but not sure if I'd have the talent to get the platinum in this one xD