How to make this game truly easy?

I bought this game on PSN for just $5, during a Flash Sale 3 years ago. I couldn't stand most JRPGs, even to this day I usually stay away from them, but I decided to give this one a try. And, boy, I loved it! I played this game, going around the map to open chests and fighting familiars as I moved along, and I ddin't even have to grind for any of the story bosses! I did die a few times, but not too often. I finished the whole story on easy difficulty and stopped because I had to go back to university shortly after.

Now, 3 years later, when the sequel is coming soon, I came back for the platinum. I want to complete the game! I had to take some time to get used to the game again. I am aware of the Mad Scientist and Familiarologist trophies, which are going to be a long grind due to the RNG. I figured, "I grinded for hours on Warframe and the Final Fantasy XIII plat, so why not the Ni No Kuni plat as well?" What I am mostly concerned about are the post-game boss battles, the Solosseum, and the guardian of the world. Right now, my party is in their level 60-70s, and I still have the game on easy difficulty. I tried to fight the Ulk for a bounty and got "slaughtered" 3 times in a row before I figured it out. The winning battle took me quite a long time and several Phoenix items. The other post-game bounties were easy in comparison! Next, I tried the Solosseum, and made it up until the final Rank A battle. I struggled to beat the 2nd and 3rd battles, and was finished off by the final contender. 

What's going on here??? I thought that by playing the game on "easy" difficulty, absolutely everything will be easy. Why is it not always easy in this case? Do I really suck at JRPGs with ATBs, or is it something else? I thought that on easy difficulty, I can win every battle without thinking much or breaking a sweat. But no, it's much more complicated than that! What am I missing, here? How do I make this game truly easy for me to play? Do I really have to grind my characters and familiars up to level 99? I thought that simply having the best gear would be enough... Do stats and moves really matter, here? ?

Maybe I should just stop and move on... RPGs are more of a hit or miss for me. Aside from grinding and the complexity, what I don't like about them is the ATB, which adds to their complexity. I just can't think on my feet, and as such games like this stress me out, especially in a boss fight. I just want to take my time to pick the right move without being slaughtered. (I'm slow) That, or I just want to smash my enemies like I'm a child with a temper tantrum, when the pace is fast! I enjoyed the Final Fantasy I remake on the PSP, but FFVII and VIII drove me nuts! I enjoyed Child of Light; in my opinion, they did ATB just right! Call me dumb, impatient or a simpleton, but modern JRPGs on console are maybe just too complicated for me. I'm just glad I got to enjoy the main story of Ni No Kuni 1 without struggling. ?

I do enjoy games that are fun and simple enough for me to play without stressing out, such as platformers, racing games, puzzle games, and stealth games. Lately, I've been playing 3D platformers, as well as some action-adventure games. 

Do I want the sequel Ni No Kuni 2? Probably not. Maybe if it comes on sale for dirt cheap like last time, but I definitely won't be buying it on launch. I usually never buy games on launch, unless it's a game I really wanted to play like Yooka-Laylee or RiME.

Right now, I'm doing the errands and bounty hunts for the stamps and the merit rewards. I don't have Jack of Hearts merit reward yet. What should I do next, or before? Or should I quit and move on?

Edited by ROBOCRIPPLE_

leveling up familiar's helps but also some familiars are really OP. i finished the game with my current set but to how i beat the tournament was pure luck on my end. i just kept casting mystery spell whenever i ran low in hopes of triggering a mana refill or the lightning storm.

it took several tries to succeed., that last battle is pretty hard :(.

Edited by kingdrake2

If you haven't already yet, you should go get a Dinoceros from the Genies steps (close to where you did the trials in the desert) that familiar is so overpowered that it carried me through postgame without any trouble, and I'm quite mediocre when it comes to RPGs.

• Like 1

OK, I got my hands on a Dinoceros, metamorphosed it into Catastroceros, and is already pretty decent at level 14. Going to level it to about 50 and expect it to be beastly! I'll see how this goes and hopefully I'll be able to fly through the Solosseum ranks A and S! So stats really do matter, eh...

Thank you guys for your help. ?

Edited by ROBOCRIPPLE_

I finished the Solosseum! I took my Catastroceros with me and it carried me through the final Rank S battle. It was level 22-23 and equipped with Mom's Frying Pan, Knight's Armor, and Nix Gnashers, the ultimate easy-mode loadout! I didn't want to grind it even further as each level requires a ton of exp to move up, and it can already tank and deal damage quite decently anyways.

I had to be lucky in the first battle though, as the opponents have a good chance of one-shotting one of my characters, including Oliver with Catastroceros. I failed that one twice. The later battles were easier; I can just tank them with Catastoceros and target the healers first. 

I could have paired the other characters with at least one familiar that can revive team mates. I'd recommend that you equip Esther, Swaine, and Marcassin with a tank, a healer, and a reviver, but I don't really know a good tank for Marcassin, healer for Swaine, and reviver for Esther which are compatible as well. Catastoceros with the above equipment is an obvious choice for Oliver; maybe also equip him with a healer, reviver or debuffer that has the defense command as well. But, I didn't want to take the time to find and grind the right familiars; I'm just glad I got through the Solosseum with my Catastoceros alone! ?

Edited by ROBOCRIPPLE_
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 8:28 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Dino is broken. He completely breaks the game =D

And that's why we love him =D

I see you love RPGs, a bunch of plats from JRPGs, among others. Maybe you like the challenge by playing them legitimately? ?

Me, I just want to enjoy the story, as well as to explore the game world and have fun. I tend to stay away from JRPGs with ATBs because there's too much stimuli and I can't think on my feet. Too many actions and mechanics for a fast-paced, menu-based game, as well as grind walls. In my opinion, if a game has an "easy" difficulty setting it must be truly easy. No grind walls, no RNG, no specific strategies, nada. Just explore, kick ass, and enjoy the story.

I guess Ni No Kuni 1 is a prime example of this, but that's limited to the story mode. There are the side quests that still require thinking or grinding, even on easy difficulty. RNG is in there, too. Then again, they are all optional and not required to advance the story, so that is understandable. Still, I'd prefer that every side mission, etc. be easy on "easy" difficulty.

Edited by ROBOCRIPPLE_

Such a fun game still my favorite PS3 game to date and one of my proudest platinum trophies I had the game guide I used for certain items and recipes and downloaded the iPhone monster app thing to keep track of what familiars I still needed and where to get them.

13 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

I mean... I love grinding =D But if you can cheese something, why not do it? =D

I don't like grinding. Takes the fun out of the game, especially in Warframe (which is fun if you start playing it, but as soon as you reach the higher level content or want rare weapons and suits, etc., you'll want to farm and grind and the game is RNG-heavy as well unless you have money to burn, not to mention that they add new content every month or so), and a barrier that stops some of us from progressing through the story at a good pace. It bores even people with autism, such as myself, because while it is repetitive it feels more like a chore that needs to be done than simply stimming or repeating words out loud.

And, yes, I do cheese through, sometimes. ?

Oh, and I finally got the platinum! YAY! :yay:

Edited by ROBOCRIPPLE_
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/19/2017 at 11:03 PM, ROBOCRIPPLE_ said:

Do I want the sequel Ni No Kuni 2? Probably not.

TRUST ME. YOU WANT THE SEQUEL'S PLATINUM. FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, IT IS FAR MORE EASY THAN THIS GAME'S PLATINUM. YOU WILL KNOW THE HORRORS OF ALCHEMY AND  METAMORPHOSIS AFTER 3 WEEKS OF NON-STOP GRINDING FOR JUMBO DROPS AND SCROLLS OF TRUTH.

Sorry, just got the platinum for this game and I am glad that is over with. The game had become a chore of RNG. ?

On 6/30/2017 at 9:11 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well... in a way... =D 

I mean... I love grinding =D But if you can cheese something, why not do it? =D

You will never love grinding in this game. Just you wait.

Edited by CJ_Mystery