Superman or Other Heros

Hogie838

There's also the Superman game for N64...

This thread should not go in "Unreleased Games" by the way, which is for games that have actually been announced/leaked.

A superman game could be very boring very quickly. It would be fun though if it would work like Saints Row 4, with the addition of actual flight and with a destructible environment. Though with that last option, the buildings in the city would all look like a Swiss cheese about half an hour into my playthrough.

Superman would be a programmer's nightmare because he is overpowered. How do you make fun, compelling gameplay around someone who can do everything and whose only weakness is a rock? Not to mention the fact he has arguably the least interesting rogues gallery of any hero. I mean, he has Lex Luthor and . . .

9 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

Superman would be a programmer's nightmare because he is overpowered. How do you make fun, compelling gameplay around someone who can do everything and whose only weakness is a rock? Not to mention the fact he has arguably the least interesting rogues gallery of any hero. I mean, he has Lex Luthor and . . .

... Batman, occasionally. Though in that fight it would be much more interesting to play as Batman.

Superman essentially being a sun god makes him a little OP as a game protagonist.  I think we'll see a couple more characters as games, the big boys from each publisher, Spiderman and Batman are well established as game protagonists.  The fact everything is being licensed for films right now and 'game of the film' titles tend to be terrible and sell badly means there might not be much appetite to damage the DC or Marvel brand with awful tie ins.  We'll get plenty more lego heroes though,

I think with the technology nowadays, it would be easier to make a good Superman game. There are a lot of ways to make him weaker or take his powers away, so he has to try and get them back. Or maybe they could just use his extensive rogue gallery with all his OP villains that can take him head on without using tricks. As for other superheroes, a game about the Flash would probably be more difficult to make.

29 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

I think with the technology nowadays, it would be easier to make a good Superman game. There are a lot of ways to make him weaker or take his powers away, so he has to try and get them back. Or maybe they could just use his extensive rogue gallery with all his OP villains that can take him head on without using tricks.

It's the classic Superman problem: the main hero has been made nigh invincible so each new story they have to come up with a way to take away his powers, prevent him from using them or create overpowered villains. Just like how Xavier was "incapacitated" so many times.

29 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

As for other superheroes, a game about the Flash would probably be more difficult to make.

... Or super easy, instead of having him go super fast you can just slow down the world around him. Lots of games already have a slowdown feature when aiming with ranged weapons, a Flash game could implement slow motion at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

I think with the technology nowadays, it would be easier to make a good Superman game. There are a lot of ways to make him weaker or take his powers away, so he has to try and get them back. Or maybe they could just use his extensive rogue gallery with all his OP villains that can take him head on without using tricks. As for other superheroes, a game about the Flash would probably be more difficult to make.

Ummm, Superman has super speed as well. So any issues making a Flash game would absolutely apply to Superman, doncha think?

Btw, what extensive rogues gallery are you talking about? In DC there is only one hero with an extensive rogues gallery . . .and he's the guy with all the movies and video games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

... Or super easy, instead of having him go super fast you can just slow down the world around him. Lots of games already have a slowdown feature when aiming with ranged weapons, a Flash game could implement slow motion at the drop of a hat.

1 hour ago, Bullstomp said:

Ummm, Superman has super speed as well. So any issues making a Flash game would absolutely apply to Superman, doncha think?

Yeah, I know but this would become pretty boring after a while if it's constantly used throughout the game, I think.

Btw, what extensive rogues gallery are you talking about? In DC there is only one hero with an extensive rogues gallery . . .and he's the guy with all the movies and video games.

If you really want to know you can google it. I'm not going to type the whole list, lol.

9 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

Yeah, I know but this would become pretty boring after a while if it's constantly used throughout the game, I think.

Mèh, if it's implemented right... Remember you yourself would move at normal speed.

9 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

If you really want to know you can google it. I'm not going to type the whole list, lol.

Luthor, Bizarro and about a dozen other 'Superman-but-with-a-defect' types, Darkseid, Doomsday, Zod... Not really the same caliber of gallery that Batman has.

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Mèh, if it's implemented right... Remember you yourself would move at normal speed.

Luthor, Bizarro and about a dozen other 'Superman-but-with-a-defect' types, Darkseid, Doomsday, Zod... Not really the same caliber of gallery that Batman has.

I find Superman's rogue gallery to be on a higher caliber than Batman's especially considering that most of them also end up being smart or powerful enough to take on the Justice League. 

• Like 1

I reckon if we got the right developer to do it, either a Captain America or Daredevil IP would be amazing. Both characters have become popular with their recent movies/tv shows and both are skilled at combat. The combat mechanics could be similar to the Batman or Spider-Man games.

I'm not sure how a Superman game would work. He is far too overpowered. Outside of a boss battle with Doomsday, what else would you do in the game? This is why some of the grounded heroes have more successful games. When not doing a main mission, you could have Batman fight henchmen or Spidey save people from a burning building. Superman couldn't do that. Even his appearance in the Injustice fighting games are far too unbelievable - no way could Harley Quinn ever beat Superman in a fight. But it is a beat em up so we can afford to leave our brains at the door lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

This thread should not go in "Unreleased Games" by the way, which is for games that have actually been announced/leaked.

Sorry, this seemed the logical choice. Where would this be put then?

I'd say it is too hard to make a good game which is why it hasn't been done. And why the old game was so terrible! 

Just now, Miles_Warren said:

I reckon if we got the right developer to do it, either a Captain America or Daredevil IP would be amazing. Both characters have become popular with their recent movies/tv shows and both are skilled at combat. The combat mechanics could be similar to the Batman or Spider-Man games.

I like the idea of a Daredevil game.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I find Superman's rogue gallery to be on a higher caliber than Batman's especially considering that most of them also end up being smart or powerful enough to take on the Justice League. 

Let's agree to disagree. Personally I find Batman's gallery much more entertaining. And as for being powerful/smart, recall my earlier comment about the troubles of Superman being nigh invincible. A Superman enemy is probably powerful enough for the Justice League as well.

2 minutes ago, Hogie838 said:

Sorry, this seemed the logical choice. Where would this be put then?

I'd say it is too hard to make a good game which is why it hasn't been done. And why the old game was so terrible! 

I'd say the "Console" subforum would be a good place, for general hypothetical games.

Superman is a more difficult character to write for, be it games or movies or books, he's too overpowered and his personality is kind of bland (my opinion). I think that's why he's not risen as much as a flawed human like Batman.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Let's agree to disagree. Personally I find Batman's gallery much more entertaining. And as for being powerful/smart, recall my earlier comment about the troubles of Superman being nigh invincible. A Superman enemy is probably powerful enough for the Justice League as well.

I would say Batman's the one who appears invincible. The guy has done the most ridiculous things like dodge Darkseid's Omega beams and take punches from guys that should have killed him instantly. That being said, I still prefer Batman to Superman.

7 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

The only way Superman's rogues gallery even comes close is if you add Batman to that gallery, since Batman has an 8-0 record against him:-P

Luthor, Bizzarro, Mr. Mxltplk(spc), Zod. . . BillyHorrible hit the nail on the head when he said "Superman with a defect" types. Batman and Spider Man have huge and varied rogues galleries to choose from. As far as most formidable adversary, the one that gives Superman the most compelling battles is . . .a green, glowing rock. How do you program that into a fun boss battle lol??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I would say Batman's the one who appears invincible. The guy has done the most ridiculous things like dodge Darkseid's Omega beams and take punches from guys that should have killed him instantly. That being said, I still prefer Batman to Superman.

I don't read that many comics, I know Batman can breathe in space though.

tumblr_l8hxzb23gE1qbq6uyo1_500.jpg

I've got a few Batman titles in my collection (it's the superhero I have the most books of actually, with Deadpool coming in second), and for Superman I've only bothered to buy All-Star since it was supposed to be the definitive Superman story.

Batman may be written as invincible on occasion (apparently) but really it's just a guy in a suit. Superman's powers make him actually invincible though, and that's the difference.

I feel obliged to share the "Superman speech" from Kill Bill now (spoiler warning as this speech is fairly late into the final film), even though the discussion here has not really touched on this aspect of Superman...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

The only way Superman's rogues gallery even comes close is if you add Batman to that gallery, since Batman has an 8-0 record against him:-P

Luthor, Bizzarro, Mr. Mxltplk(spc), Zod. . . BillyHorrible hit the nail on the head when he said "Superman with a defect" types. Batman and Spider Man have huge and varied rogues galleries to choose from. As far as most formidable adversary, the one that gives Superman the most compelling battles is . . .a green, glowing rock. How do you program that into a fun boss battle lol??

I know of one way to make a fun boss battle out of Kryptonite, and I've named it earlier in a different thread as my preferred way of killing Superman... KRYPTONITE YO-YO!

20080723.gif

• Like 1

You can make a good Superman game, but you can't make a good Superman game about Superman's everyday life in Metropolis for any amount of money actually available to any real developer. You'd have all the problems and expenses of a GTA game if you wanted to show Clark Kent walking down the street, taking part in everyday life. So many extra animations, voice lines, and models, just to show a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with combat. You'd be making your Superman game and GTA 6 at the same time.

The way to do it is to remove Clark Kent. Take the game into space, or set it entirely during a terrible crisis, and remove all out-of-costume elements. Have most of the other Justice Leaguers taken over by the villain — that gives you several good boss fights right there. Or use the Sinestro Corps. There are enemies available who can challenge Superman. You just gotta remove the civilian stuff, or the game will cost more than putting a man on the moon.

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Batman may be written as invincible on occasion (apparently) but really it's just a guy in a suit. Superman's powers make him actually invincible though, and that's the difference.

Superman isn't actually invincible though. He has major weaknesses to Kryptonite and magic. Batman is what you said, a guy in the suit, yet he manages to do the most ridiculous things - probably because of his popularity - yet he struggles to keep Gotham safe. 

5 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

Pretty sure the record is far from 8-0. Spider-Man and Batman do have some pretty big rogue galleries, but I don't find any one villain on Batman's rogue gallery to be as interesting as some of Superman's rogue gallery like Darkseid, Luthor or Braniac. 

Not a huge comic book person so I don't know the lineup of villains...

But maybe Green Arrow?

I'm kinda in agreement that the more OP a character is the more difficult a balanced game would be. Flash and Superman's failings have been pointed out. 

However, Thor had a game and while I don't know much about it, except that it's supposedly bad?, it was set in a place where he seemed to be more evenly matched right?

Green Arrow wouldn't be too unbelievable and it could have a few style types for gameplay. It could be a beat em up like Captain America: Super Soldier or maybe it could be more like the Assassin's Creed type games. It would be a good game to mix stealth and action.

2 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Superman isn't actually invincible though. He has major weaknesses to Kryptonite and magic. Batman is what you said, a guy in the suit, yet he manages to do the most ridiculous things - probably because of his popularity - yet he struggles to keep Gotham safe. 

That's my whole point though, they made Superman so overpowered they had to think up "green rocks" and give him a weakness to magic just to level the playing field a bit. Batman doing ridiculous things would depend on the writer and I would certainly not agree with some stuff you mentioned that are in the comics, but in the end Bruce Wayne is just a flawed human and in my opinion that's what makes him a lot more interesting than Supes.

2 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Pretty sure the record is far from 8-0. Spider-Man and Batman do have some pretty big rogue galleries, but I don't find any one villain on Batman's rogue gallery to be as interesting as some of Superman's rogue gallery like Darkseid, Luthor or Braniac. 

It may be a cliché but I think Joker is a more interesting villain than all of Superman's gallery put together - this might be because next to being an insane amount of both funny and crazy, Joker seems to actually understand the comic book rules - he is supposed to be the darkness so Batman's light has a purpose. Best recent story to emphasise this is actually The LEGO Batman Movie.

Other very memorable villains from Batman to me are Riddler, Two-Face, Freeze, Bane, Catwoman, Hush, Clayface, Harley Quinn, Ra's al Ghul, Poison Ivy, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Scarecrow... Personally I think Batman's rogue gallerie is much more colourful, much more fun and much more varied than Superman's gallery. Thanks to Batman not being that overpowered (again, depending on the writer), the villains can be varied and interesting as well instead of just being overpowered too.

As for Spider-Man's gallery, the likes of Kingpin, Mysterio, Doc Oc and Venom as well as many others also ensure a very varied list.

Then again I just find Superman's gallery so dull, I think the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles already win from him just because they have Krang and Shredder.

Talking about The LEGO Batman Movie, they do a pretty good job of showing off how awesome and varied Batman's rogue gallery is.

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Not a huge comic book person so I don't know the lineup of villains...

But maybe Green Arrow?

I'm kinda in agreement that the more OP a character is the more difficult a balanced game would be. Flash and Superman's failings have been pointed out. 

However, Thor had a game and while I don't know much about it, except that it's supposedly bad?, it was set in a place where he seemed to be more evenly matched right?

Green Arrow wouldn't be too unbelievable and it could have a few style types for gameplay. It could be a beat em up like Captain America: Super Soldier or maybe it could be more like the Assassin's Creed type games. It would be a good game to mix stealth and action.

At the start, I first thought you meant Green Arrow was a good villain from Superman's gallery ?

In my opinion, Green Arrow is basically Batman with bow and arrow so a game should play like that I guess.

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

At the start, I first thought you meant Green Arrow was a good villain from Superman's gallery 1f602.png

In my opinion, Green Arrow is basically Batman with bow and arrow so a game should play like that I guess.

Yeah given the flow of the thread I guess I can see why it came out that way. :P 

Wasn't a huge fan of the Arkham combat, but I guess I could see it that way.

Could make a decent RPG too I think. Skill trees that lean more towards stealth or combat. Bow skills or fighting skills depending on how someone wanted to tackle the game. (even though he should be even in all areas?) 

1 minute ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Yeah given the flow of the thread I guess I can see why it came out that way. :P 

Wasn't a huge fan of the Arkham combat, but I guess I could see it that way.

Could make a decent RPG too I think. Skill trees that lean more towards stealth or combat. Bow skills or fighting skills depending on how someone wanted to tackle the game. (even though he should be even in all areas?) 

Yeah I could definitely see it working with Arkham combat and stealth with the addition of bow and arrow, perhaps like the Horizon Zero Dawn bow mechanics?

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah I could definitely see it working with Arkham combat and stealth with the addition of bow and arrow, perhaps like the Horizon Zero Dawn bow mechanics?

Haven't played HZD yet and the only bow mechanics that come to mind are RotTR's.

Guess the gameplay would depend on the people doing it. I would see Ubisoft using very AC-like mechanics for everything.