how do you get better online

johnnyjh

i'm Garbage in Call of Duty all games but beat the single player all the time i own MW3, Ghosts, Advanced Warfare , Black ops III , Infinite Warfare 

seems the only games i dominated at were Uncharted 2 and Resistance 2 , 55,000 kills in those two games i go negative in every COD match =( 

I'd say you just have to keep changing your playstyle, classes, game modes to see what suits you best. That is by far the most important thing to do. I, for example, started playing Call of Duty: Ghosts by playing Team Deathmatch and Free-for-All but found out those game modes weren't really for me. I ended up playing Gun Game and Reinforce most of the time because I enjoyed those best and I performed really well in those game modes.

• Like 1

Wish I'd knew I'm pretty bad at every multiplayer game especially FPS since I seem to use a whole clip on someone and I end up getting killed with one bullet that and they always seem to find me before I find them half of the time
Not that great at fighting games either except Super Smash bros I can do fairly decent in.

Edited by Nightstream88
  • Like 1

I'm also "not so good" in CoD MP. It really just depends on the game mode you're playing in, your class and the type of players you're playing with. Also knowing the game mode very well can also increase your chances of becoming good. :) 

• Like 1

I'm be no means an expert in the subject, but I may have some tips that could help. 

As @Lucas mentioned, work with different playstyles. Some poeple are extremely good with using a sniper whereas others prefer a run & gun method. 

Personally, I choose the run & gun with either an assault rifle or submachine gun when I play Call of Duty or Battlefield. Try not to go through the entire map while you play. Don't sit in a corner, but rather take a portion of the map and make laps.  Periodically check your flank and work on aiming towards people rather than aiming, then moving your aim to the person. If that doesn't make snese I can explain it in a party chat or PM. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Some Call Of Duty games I'm good at are MW2, Black Ops 3, Ghosts, COD 4 RM, MW3, But I'm bad at Black Ops 2, Black Ops 1.

It totally depends on the classes you have, knowing the map layout. I would suggest looking up some guides on how to be better at Call Of Duty their is a huge amount of videos telling you what to do. Just remember practice makes perfect. Never give up.

I also suggest if you want to be better at MP games is to play with a few of your friends to know spawns, layouts, what weapon is good for what map. Like Search and Destroy you would use a silencer weapon, Free For All you would use the scavenger perk. Team Death Match, I usually use an assault rifle with scavenger and close combat.  

Not much more I can say just keep practicing :) 

• Like 1

I'm not the greatest at shooters but I'm usually on the better half of scoreboards so I suppose I have some idea.

I think others have given good tips so far but I'd also say that watching someone else play may also give you some ideas what to do. I suppose you might have to know a bit about the game so you understand the thought process (why the player x is doing this or going this way etc.) but you might learn some things what to do on a certain map, which guns are good etc.

Also, maybe quite self-explanatory but when playing first person shooters it is crucial to find a sensitivity that suits for you. The only way to find it is just to try different ones, don't use what other people say you should use. They might give you an idea where to start but in the end, you should use what you are comfortable with.

And most of the time, if you're decent at aiming which you learn only by playing and practicing, the map knowledge is everything. You just have to know where to go and where not to go on every map. For example, when I played Destiny PvP there were some parts in some maps where I practically never went because it usually meant death (the part of the map was too exposed so that people could shoot me from like four different angles etc).

In my opinion, most of the time to get a decent KD, it is more important to learn to stay alive than to get kills (I know, sounds boring but seriously) although in a game such as CoD that might be a bit difficult as the time to kill is so short and people spawn pretty much all over the map.

EDIT: Oh, and don't focus on KD that much. Focus on improving.

Edited by novemberrx

Some good tips above already...finding a favourite gun or loadout is key...

finding the right sensitivity combined with training your brain to remember how much and where you need to push your analog sticks for the ideal headshot position...this ties into getting to know the maps so when when you come across doorways, corners, obstacles, etc you have a good idea of where you should be looking and how much time you have to reload if necessary...also helps to avoid large open areas...another related point is remembering where the center of your TV screen is at all times so you waste less time aiming if need be...

sticking with teammates can also be good...I find myself much more likely to die when I stray solo or end up running into like 3-4 freshly spawned players on the other team...having a few teammates nearby often leads to annihilating the entire enemy team in the blink of an eye...

I also find I need my brain to be like it's on meth, so everything seems kind of slow in a strange calm way but can still move my fingers quickly...also related to this: breathe...nothing stifles concentration and agility like lack of oxygen...haha...

tossing grenades ahead can be a good way to get enemies moving and visible...

I guess, in the end, to me, the more I play, the better I get, and the more I find it, enjoyable the quicker I can adapt...playing with friends or complimentary teammates can be a huge boost for me so would recommend trying to find some...I have a friend who is brilliant at camping and busting heads with a sniper rifle, and as much as I dislike his style of play, it compliments run and gunners well...I like to have friendly competitions with my fellow run and gunning friends for most kills, highest streak, etc...adds a lot of fun and although it focuses on k/d ratio and stuff it doesn't feel like it at all...

take breaks...muscle memory improves when you sleep...haha...

the last thing I would recommend is don't check your stats, just have fun...play one game at-a-time and forget about your overall ratio...nobody really cares anyway and the leaderboard toppers are usually hackers...trying too hard = potential for frustration = not having fun...

disclaimer: guarantee you'll come across experienced players and teams who are just really good who will make your k/d suffer regardless of how you approach the match...not much you can do but be patient and you'll eventually become one of them...

all I can think of off the top of my head...

• Like 1